Contact Dr Iva Chianella
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758322
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Biosensors & Diagnostics
- Smart Materials
Dr Iva Chianella is an experienced Scientist with a strong research track record on the development of affinity sensors/biosensors based on natural and artificial receptors for clinical, environmental, food, safety and industrial applications.
After receiving her first degree in Chemistry from the University of Florence, and her PhD in Bioscience from Cranfield University, Dr Chianella was appointed to Lecturer in 2007 and to Senior Lecturer in 2020. She has around 55 peer reviewed papers, 7 book chapters and 4 patent in the area of diagnostics and on novel polymeric materials and their use in several analytical systems. Dr Chianella main research interests are: i) on the development of chemical and biochemical sensors/nano-sensors for point-of-care and in-field applications; ii) on the synthesis of novel polymeric nanomaterials (e.g. Molecularly Imprinted Polymers Nanoparticles) for sensors and assays.
Dr Chianella is currently active both in research and teaching. Her main research interests include:
- Chemical and biochemical sensors/nanosensors (electrochemical, piezoelectric and optical) for medical, environmental and industrial applications;
- Synthesis of novel receptors for sensors and assay development;
- Molecularly imprinted polymers and molecularly imprinted polymer nanoparticles;
- Nanomaterials such as iron oxide nanoparticles for biomedical applications.
ClientsDuring her academic career, Dr Chianella has had the opportunity to collaborate with several industrial clients (e.g. GSK, DSM, Philips, Sphere Medical, Infigo Diagnostics, MIP Diagnostics, CEAD) and have her research funded by several Research Councils (e.g. Innovate UK, DSTL, EPSRC) and EU funding bodies.
Articles In Journals
- Wignarajah S, Chianella I & Tothill IE (2023) Development of electrochemical immunosensors for HER-1 and HER-2 analysis in serum for breast cancer patients, Biosensors, 13 (3) Article No. 355.
- Gurung S, Gucci F, Cairns G, Chianella I & Leighton GJ (2022) Hollow silica nano and micro spheres with polystyrene templating: a mini-review, Materials, 15 (23) Article No. 8578.
- Wei W, Kumar Thakur V, Li S & Chianella I (2021) Self-switchable polymer reactor with PNIPAM-PAm smart switch capable of tandem/simple catalysis, Polymer, 235 (November) Article No. 124265.
- D'Aurelio R, Tothill IE, Salbini M, Calo F, Mazzotta E, Malitesta C & Chianella I (2021) A comparison of EIS and QCM nanoMIP-based sensors for morphine, Nanomaterials, 11 (12) Article No. 3360.
- Gedara AKA, Chianella I, Endrino JL & Zhang Q (2021) Adhesiveless bonding of wood - a review with a focus on wood welding, BioResources, 16 (3) 6448-6470.
- Odiegwu CNC, Chianella I, Azubike NC, Odiegwu UO & Ogbuowelu OS (2021) Liver function tests values in albino wistar rats administered with isolated Nigeria Achatina achatina snail lectin, GSC Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 15 (2) 92-102.
- Odiegwu CN, Chianella I, Odiegwu UO, Okolie UV & Ifejirika EC (2021) Leucocytes, urea and glucose levels in Albino Wistar rats exposed to doses of isolated Achatina achatina snail lectin, World Journal of Biology Pharmacy and Health Sciences, 6 (3) 001-012.
- Hemben A, Chianella I & Leighton GJ (2021) Surface engineered iron oxide nanoparticles generated by inert gas condensation for biomedical applications, Bioengineering, 8 (3) Article No. 38.
- D’Aurelio R, Chianella I, Goode JA & Tothill IE (2020) Molecularly imprinted nanoparticles based sensor for cocaine detection, Biosensors, 10 (3) Article No. 22.
- Wei W, Xiao P, Thakur VK, Chianella I & Li S (2020) Smart bilayer polymer reactor with cascade/non-cascade switching catalyst characteristics, Materials Today Chemistry, 17 (September) Article No. 100279.
- Odiegwu CNC, Ukaejiofo EO, Tothill IE, Chianella I & Okey-Onyesolu CF (2020) Purification and characterisation of lectin isolated from Nigeria achatina achatina snail, GSC Advanced Research and Reviews, 5 (3) 1-9.
- Turner NW, Bloxham M, Piletsky SA, Whitcombe MJ & Chianella I (2017) The use of a quartz crystal microbalance as an analytical tool to monitor particle/surface and particle/particle interactions under dry ambient and pressurized conditions: a study using common inhaler components, The Analyst, 142 (1) 229-236.
- Cáceres C, Canfarotta F, Chianella I, Pereira E, Moczko E, Esen C, Guerreiro A, Piletska E, Whitcombe M. & Piletsky S (2016) Does size matter? Study of performance of pseudo-ELISAs based on molecularly imprinted polymer nanoparticles prepared for analytes of different sizes, The Analyst, 141 (4) 1405-1412.
- Mazzotta E, Turco A, Chianella I, Guerreiro A, Piletsky S & Malitesta C (2016) Solid-phase synthesis of electroactive nanoparticles of molecularly imprinted polymers. A novel platform for indirect electrochemical sensing applications, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 229 (June) 174-180.
- Rodríguez-Dorado R, Carro AM, Chianella I, Karim K, Concheiro A, Lorenzo RA, Piletsky S & Alvarez-Lorenzo C (2016) Oxytetracycline recovery from aqueous media using computationally designed molecularly imprinted polymers, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 408 (24) 6845-6856.
- Altintas Z, Chianella I, Da Ponte G, Paulussen S, Gaeta S & Tothill IE (2016) Development of functionalized nanostructured polymeric membranes for water purification, Chemical Engineering Journal, 300 (September) 358-366.
- Cavaleiro E, Duarte AS, Esteves AC, Correia A, Whitcombe MJ, Piletska EV, Piletsky SA & Chianella I (2015) Novel linear polymers able to inhibit bacterial quorum sensing, Macromolecular Bioscience, 15 (5) 647-656.
- Shutov RV, Guerreiro A, Moczko E, de Vargas-Sansalvador IP, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ & Piletsky SA (2014) Introducing MINA-The Molecularly Imprinted Nanoparticles Assay, Small, 10 (6) 1086-1089.
- Korposh S, Chianella I, Guerreiro A, Caygill S, Piletsky S, James SW & Tatam RP (2014) Selective vancomycin detection using optical fibre long period gratings functionalised with molecularly imprinted polymer nanoparticles, The Analyst, 139 (9) 2229-2236.
- Des Azevedo S, Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ, Karim K, Ivanova-Mitseva PK, Subrahmanyam S & Piletsky SA (2013) Molecularly Imprinted Polymer-Hybrid Electrochemical Sensor for the Detection of β-Estradiol, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 52 (39) 13917-13923.
- Kyprianou D, Chianella I, Guerreiro A, Piletska EV & Piletsky SA (2013) Development of optical immunosensors for detection of proteins in serum, Talanta, 103 260-266.
- Chianella I, Guerreiro A, Moczko E, Caygill JS, Piletska EV, Vargas Sansalvador IP, Whitcombe MJ & Piletsky SA (2013) Direct replacement of antibodies with molecularly imprinted polymer (MIP) nanoparticles in ELISA - development of a novel assay for vancomycin, Analytical Chemistry, 85 (17) 8462-8468.
- Piletska EV, Piletsky SS, Whitcombe MJ, Chianella I & Piletsky SA (2012) The development of a new microtiter plate format for clinically-relevant assays, Analytical Chemistry, 84 (4) 2038-2043.
- Dubey L, Chianella I, Dubey I, Piletska E, Whitcombe MJ & Piletsky S (2012) Selective Recognition of Bifunctional Molecules by Synthetic Polymers Prepared by Covalent Molecular Imprinting, The Open Analytical Chemistry Journal, 6 15-21.
- Akbulut M, Lakshmi D, Whitcombe MJ, Piletska EV, Chianella I, Gueven O & Piletsky SA (2011) Microplates with adaptive surfaces, ACS Combinatorial Science, 13 (6) 646-652.
- Whitcombe MJ, Chianella I, Larcombe L, Piletsky SA, Noble J, Porter R & Horgan A (2011) The rational development of molecularly imprinted polymer-based sensors for protein detection., Chemical Society Reviews, 40 (3) 1547-1571.
- Cavaleiro E, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ, Piletsky SA, Correia A & Duarte AS (2011) Synthetic polymers capable of suppressing virulence of bacterial fish pathogens, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 22 (Suppl. 1) S79-S79.
- Malitesta C, Mazzotta E, Picca RA, Poma A, Chianella I & Piletsky SA (2011) MIP sensors - the electrochemical approach, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 402 (5) 1827-1846.
- Yañez F, Chianella I, Piletsky SA, Concheiro A & Alvarez-Lorenzo C (2010) Computational modeling and molecular imprinting for the development of acrylic polymers with high affinity for bile salts, Analytica Chimica Acta, 659 (1-2) 178-185.
- Bossi A, Whitcombe MJ, Uludag Y, Fowler S, Chianella I, Subrahmanyam S, Sanchez I & Piletsky SA (2010) Synthesis of controlled polymeric cross-linked coatings via iniferter polymerisation in the presence of tetraethyl thiuram disulphide chain terminator, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 25 (9).
- Berti F, Todros S, Lakshmi D, Whitcombe MJ, Chianella I, Ferroni M, Piletsky SA, Turner APF & Marrazza G (2010) Quasi-monodimensional polyaniline nanostructures for enhanced molecularly imprinted polymer-based sensing, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 26 (2) 497-503.
- Kyprianou D, Guerreiro ARL, Nirschl M, Chianella I, Subrahmanyam S, Turner APF & Piletsky SA (2010) The application of polythiol molecules for protein immobilisation on sensor surfaces, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 25 (5) 1049-1055.
- Piletska EV, Stavroulakis G, Karim K, Whitcombe MJ, Chianella I, Sharma A, Eboigbodin KE, Robinson GK & Piletsky SA (2010) Attenuation of Vibrio fischeri quorum sensing using rationally designed polymers, Biomacromolecules, 11 (4) 975-980.
- Guerreiro A, Chianella I, Piletska EV, Whitcombe MJ & Piletsky SA (2009) Selection of imprinted nanoparticles by affinity chromatography, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24 (8) 2740-2743.
- Mccoll J, Horvath R, Aref A, Larcombe L, Chianella I, Morgan S, Yakubov GE & Ramsden JJ (2009) Polyphenol control of cell spreading on glycoprotein substrata, Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, 20 (5-6) 841-851.
- Lakshmi D, Bossi A, Whitcombe MJ, Chianella I, Fowler S, Subrahmanyam S, Piletska EV & Piletsky SA (2009) Electrochemical sensor for catechol and dopamine based on a catalytic molecularly imprinted polymer-conducting polymer hybrid recognition element, Analytical Chemistry, 81 (9) 3576-3584.
- Lakshmi D, Whitcombe MJ, Davis F, Chianella I, Piletska EV, Guerreiro ARL, Subrahmanyam S, Brito PS, Fowler S & Piletsky SA (2009) Chimeric polymers formed from a monomer capable of free-radical, oxidative and electrochemical polymerisation, Chemical Communications (19) 2759-2761.
- Mijangos I, Guerreiro ARL, Piletska EV, Whitcombe MJ, Karim K, Chianella I & Piletsky SA (2009) Macroradical initiated polymerisation of acrylic and methacrylic monomers, Journal of Separation Science, 32 (19) 3340-3346.
- Romero Guerra M, Chianella I, Piletska EV, Karim K, Turner APF & Piletsky SA (2009) Development of a piezoelectric sensor for the detection of methamphetamine, The Analyst, 134 (8) 1565-1570.
- Garcinuno RM, Chianella I, Guerreiro A, Mijangos I, Piletska EV, Whitcombe MJ & Piletsky SA (2009) The stabilisation of receptor structure in low cross-linked MIPs by an immobilised template, Soft Matter, 5 (2) 311-317.
- Kyprianou D, Guerreiro A, Chianella I, Piletska EV, Fowler SA, Karim K, Whitcombe MJ, Turner APF & Piletsky SA (2009) New reactive polymer for protein immobilisation on sensor surfaces, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24 (5) 1365-1371.
- Piletska EV, Villoslada FN, Chianella I, Bossi A, Karim K, Whitcombe MJ, Piletsky SA, Doucette GJ & Ramsdell JS (2008) Extraction of domoic acid from seawater and urine using a resin based on 2-(trifluoromethyl)acrylic acid, Analytica Chimica Acta, 610 (1) 35-43.
- Piletska EV, Guerreiro ARL, Romero-Guerra M, Chianella I, Turner APF & Piletsky SA (2008) Design of molecular imprinted polymers compatible with aqueous environment, Analytica Chimica Acta, 607 (1) 54-60.
- Pascale M, De Girolamo A, Visconti A, Magan N, Chianella I, Piletska EV & Piletsky SA (2008) Use of itaconic acid-based polymers for solid phase extraction of deoxynivalenol and application to pasta analysis, Analytica Chimica Acta, 609 (2) 131-138.
- Breton F, Rouillon EV, Piletska EV, Karim K, Guerreiro ARL, Chianella I & Piletsky SA (2007) Virtual imprinting as a tool to design efficient MIPs for photosynthesis-inhibiting herbicides, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 22 (9-10) 1948-1954.
- Chianella I, Karim K, Piletska EV, Preston C & Piletsky SA (2006) Computational design and synthesis of molecularly imprinted polymers with high binding capacity for pharmaceutical applications - model case: adsorbent for abacavir, Analytica Chimica Acta, 559 (1) 73-77.
- Mijangos I, Navarro-Villoslada F, Guerreiro A, Piletska EV, Chianella I, Karim K, Turner APF & Piletsky SA (2006) Influence of initiator and different polymerisation conditions on performance of molecularly imprinted polymers, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 22 (3) 381-387.
- Piletska EV, Romero-Guerra M, Chianella I, Karim K, Turner APF & Piletsky SA (2005) Towards the development of multisensor for drugs of abuse based on molecular imprinted polymers., Analytica Chimica Acta, 542 (1) 111-117.
- Piletsky SA, Mijangos I, Guerreiro A, Piletska EV, Chianella I, Karim K & Turner APF (2005) Polymer cookery: influence of polymerization time and different initiation conditions on performance of molecularly imprinted polymers, Macromolecules, 38 (4) 1410-1414.
- Piletsky SA, Guerreiro A, Piletska EV, Chianella I, Karim K & Turner APF (2004) Polymer cookery 2. Influence of polymerization pressure and polymer swelling on the performance of molecularly imprinted polymers, Macromolecules, 37 (13) 5018-5022.
- Chianella I, Piletsky SA, Tothill IE, Chen B & Turner APF (2003) MIP-based solid phase extraction cartridges combined with MIP- based sensors for the detection of microcystin-LR, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 18 (2-3) 119-127.
- Chianella I, Piletsky SA, Tothill IE, Chen B & Turner APF (2003) Combination of solid phase extraction cartridges and MIP-based sensor for detection of microcystin-LR, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 1023 297-303.
- Chianella I, Lotierzo M, Piletsky SA, Tothill IE, Chen BN, Karim K & Turner APF (2002) Rational design of a polymer specific for microcystin-LR using a computational approach, Analytical Chemistry, 74 (6) 1288-1293.
- Marrazza G, Chianella I & Mascini M (1999) Disposable DNA electrochemical sensor for hybridization detection, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 14 43-51.
- Marrazza G, Chianella I & Mascini M (1999) Disposable DNA electrochemical biosersors for environmental monitoring, Analytica Chimica Acta, 387 297-307.
- Berti F, Todros S, Marrazza G, Faglia G, Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ, Piletsky SA, Mascini M & Turner APF (2010) Polyaniline nanostructures for enhanced molecularly imprinted polymer-based sensing. In: The 20th World Congress on Biosensors: Biosensors 2010, Glasgow, Scotland, 1 January 2010.
- Todros S, Francesca Berti F, Faglia G, Marrazza G, Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Piletska EV, Piletsky SA & Turner APF (2010) Conductive polymer nanotubes for biochemical gas sensing. In: The 20th World Congress on Biosensors: Biosensors 2010, Glasgow, Scotland, 1 January 2010.
- Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ, Piletska EV, Karim K, Turner APF, Piletsky SA, Berti F, Marrazza G, Todros S & Faglia G (2010) Synthesis and Characterization of Novel Conducting Monomer Showing Chimeric Polymerisation Behaviour: Versatile Applications in Defence and Aerospace Research. In: Polymers in Defence and Aerospace Applications, Hamburg, Germany, 1 January 2010.
- Berti F, Todros S, Marrazza G, Faglia G, Piletsky SA, Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ & Turner APF (2009) Template synthesis of polyaniline nanostructures for sensing applications. In: Italian Chemical Society, Sorento, Italy, 1 January 2009.
- Berti F, Todros S, Marrazza G, Faglia G, Piletsky SA, Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ & Turner APF (2009) Conductive polyaniline (PANI) nanostructures for sensing applications. In: Bio-sensing Technology Conference, Bristol, UK, 1 January 2009.
- Chianella I, Karras K, Lakshmi D, Whitcombe MJ & Marson S (2012) Conductive Polymers for Plastic Electronics. In: Molecularly Imprinted Sensors: Overview and Applications. Li SJ, Ge Y, Piletsky SA, Lunec J (ed.), Amsterdam: Elsevier, p. 275-301.
- Berti F, Marrazza G, Mascini M, Todros S, Baratto C, Ferroni M, Faglia G, Lakshmi D, Chianella I, Whitcombe MJ, Piletsky S & Turner APF (2011) One-Dimensional Polyaniline Nanotubes for Enhanced Chemical and Biochemical Sensing. In: Sensors and Microsystems. Neri G, Donato N, d'Amico A, Di Natale C (ed.), Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York: Springer, p. 311-315.
- Nicholls IA, Piletsky SA, Chen B, Chianella I & Turner APF (2005) Terhodynamic considerations and the use of molecular modelling as a tool for predicting MIP performance. In: Molecularly imprinted materials: Science and technology, Marcel Dekker, p. 363-394.