Contact Dr Isidro Durazo Cardenas
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Aerospace Materials
- Precision Engineering
- Sensor Technologies
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Dr Durazo-Cardenas holds a PhD awarded for his work on ultra-precision porous aerostatic and hydrostatic ceramic bearings at Cranfield. He also holds an MSc in Manufacture with an Advanced Automation and Design option. He graduated as Mechanical Engineer from the Instituto Tecnologico de Hermosillo in Mexico. Prior to his academic career, he worked for 5 years in industry as a manufacturing and product engineer for Sony Electronics and Solar Turbines.
Dr Isidro Durazo Cardenas is an expert in maintenance systems, with experience in novel non-destructive testing for the railway, based on ultrasonics, track geometry data, and infra-red imaging, and automated with robotic devices. He has led and supported a series of projects in the railway, aerospace, and agriculture sectors, as well as specialist materials testing.
Current work involves autonomous systems and vehicles. In addition to his research, he is involved in teaching and supervision of postgraduate students.
Isidro is one of Cranfield's laser safety officers, having undertaken and passing the Laser Safety Management course by Public Health of England.
He has a strong background in Degradation, Instrumentation, Maintenance Systems, Complex Fatigue Testing, Performance of Ultra-Precision Bearings and Diamond Tool Degradation.
- Network Rail
- Thales Avionics
- International Paint
- Active Space Technologies
- Barden Bearings
Articles In Journals
- Huerta-Cardoso O, Durazo-Cardenas I, Longhurst P, Simms NJ & Encinas-Oropesa A (2020) Fabrication of agave tequilana bagasse/PLA composite and preliminary mechanical properties assessment, Industrial Crops and Products, 152 (September) Article No. 112523.
- Bregar T, An D, Gharavian S, Burda M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Kumar Thakur V, Ayre D, Słoma M, Hardiman M, McCarthy C & Yazdani Nezhad H (2020) Carbon nanotube embedded adhesives for real-time monitoring of adhesion failure in high performance adhesively bonded joints, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 16833. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13006631
- Huerta-Cardoso O, Durazo-Cardenas I, Merchante-Rodriguez V, Longhurst P, Coulon F & Encinas-Oropesa A (2020) Up-cycling of Agave Tequilana Bagasse-Fibres: a study on the effect of fibre-surface treatments on interfacial bonding and mechanical properties, Results in Materials, 8 (December) Article No. 100158.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Shehab E, Baguley P & Xu Y (2018) An autonomous system for maintenance scheduling data-rich complex infrastructure: Fusing the railways’ condition, planning and cost, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 89 (April) 234-253.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Sousa R, Ferreira J, Mota A, Kram M, Hughes G, Bytnar P & Bel F (2018) Towards health monitoring of hybrid ceramic bearings in aircraft starter/generators, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 50-57.
- Emmanouilidis C, Pistofidis P, Fournaris A, Bevilacqua M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Botsaris PN, Katsouros V, Koulamas C & Starr AG (2016) Context-based and human-centred information fusion in diagnostics, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49 (28) 220-225.
- Carlander L , Kirkwood L, Shehab E, Baguley P & Durazo-Cardenas I (2016) Integration of cost-risk assessment of denial of service within an intelligent maintenance system, Procedia CIRP, 47 66-71.
- Syed AK, Fitzpatrick ME, Moffatt JE, Doucet J & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Effect of impact damage on fatigue performance of structures reinforced with GLARE bonded crack retarders, International Journal of Fatigue, 80 (November) 231-237.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Corbett J & Stephenson DJ (2014) Permeability and dynamic elastic moduli of controlled porosity ultra-precision aerostatic structures, Ceramics International, 40 (2) 3041-3051.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Noguera-Sagrera A & Impey SA (2014) Analysis of infrared optical polishing effluents and reduction of COD and TSS levels by ultrafiltration and coagulation/flocculation, Desalination and Water Treatment, 52 (25-27) 4612-4621.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Tsourdos A, Bevilacqua M & Morineau J (2014) Precise vehicle location as a fundamental parameter for intelligent selfaware rail-track maintenance systems, Procedia CIRP, 22 219-224.
- Kirkwood L, Shehab E, Baguley P, Amorim-Melo P & Durazo-Cardenas I (2014) Challenges in cost analysis of innovative maintenance of distributed high-value assets, Procedia CIRP, 22 148-151.
- McLaughlin P & Durazo-Cardenas I (2013) Cellular manufacturing applications in MRO operations, Procedia CIRP, 11 254-259.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Stephenson DJ & Corbett J (2010) Controlled porosity alumina structures for ultra-precision hydrostatic journal bearings, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 93 (11) 3671-3678.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Corbett J & Stephenson DJ (2010) The performance of a porous ceramic hydrostatic journal bearing, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 224 (J1) 81-89.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Shore P, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Cox A (2006) 3D characterisation of tool wear whilst diamond turning silicon, Wear, 262 (3-4) 340-349.
- An D, Nourry J, Gharavian S, Thakur VK, Aria I, Cardenas I, Khaleque T & Nezhad HY (2020) Strain self-sensing tailoring in functionalised carbon nanotubes/epoxy nanocomposites in response to electrical resistance change measurement. In: TESConf 2020 - 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Online, 3-4 November 2020.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Amaraegbeni C & Starr A (2016) Fusion of railway network data streams for asset usage in intelligent maintenance systems. In: EuroMaintenance 2016, Athens, 30 May - 1 June 2016.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner C, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Baguley P & Shehab E (2015) An Intelligent Maintenance System for the Rail: Integrating Condition, Planning and Cost. In: Railway Engineering 2015, Edinburgh, 30 June - 1 July 2015.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Starr A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Blacktop K (2015) An intelligent framework and prototype for autonomous maintenance planning in the rail industry. In: 1st international conference on vehicle technology and intelligent transport systems (VEHITS 2015), Lisbon, 20-22 May 2015.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Starr A & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Data fusion strategy for precise vehicle location for intelligent self-aware maintenance systems. In: IEEE 6th International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 9-12 February 2015.
- Marson S, Villa R, Cardenas-Durazo I, Evans RW, Storti A, Heaume A, Marinello F, Carmignato S, Fairley M, Jennings P & Allen DM (2013) Sinusoidal CVD diamond micro-tools for the manufacture of microstructured surfaces used in bioremediation. In: 6th International Conference on Micro Manufacturing 2011 (ICOMM2011), Tokyo, 7 March 2010.
- Pozzi M, Canziani A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Zhu M (2012) Experimental characterisation of macro fibre composites and monolithic piezoelectric transducers for strain energy harvesting. In: Smart Structures/NDE: Health Monitoring of Structural and Biological Systems, 2012, San Diego, CA, 11-15 March 2012.
- Marson S, Villa R, Durazo-Cardenas I, Evans R, Storti A, Heaume A, Marinello F, Carmignato S & Allen D (2011) Micro-patterned biological interfaces manufactured by diamond turning with CVD diamond micro-tools. In: 11th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN 2011), Lake Como, 23-27 May 2011.
- Allen DM & Durazo-Cardenas IS (2009) PCD tooling made by combined laser beam machining and focused ion beam machining. In: euspen 9th International Conference 2009, San Sebastian, Spain, 2 June 2009.
- Kirkwood L, Durazo-Cardenas I & Shore P (2009) Tool failure mechanisms while single point diamond turning silicon. In: Laser metrology and machine performance IX : 9th International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology, Machine Tool, CMM & Robotic Performance 2009 (LAMDAMAP 2009) , Uxbridge, 29 June 2009.
- Luo X, Shore P, Durazo-Cardenas IS, Heaume AM & Jacklin T (2006) A new approach for measuring tool wear volume in single point diamond turning of silicon. In: 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK, 5 September 2006.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Shore P (2005) Tool-life influence of diamond gems whilst diamond turning of silicon infrared optics. In: 1st International Industrial Diamond Conference, Barcelona, 20 October 2005.