Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Aerospace Materials
- Precision Engineering
- Sensor Technologies
- Throughlife Engineering Services
BackgroundDr Durazo-Cardenas joined Cranfield University in November 2004 following his PhD studies at Cranfield, where he successfully developed a controlled porosity material suitable for ultra-precision porous aerostatic and hydrostatic ceramic bearings. He previously studied for a BSc in Mechanical Engineering at the Instituto Tecnologico de Hermosillo in Mexico, and MSc in Manufacture with an Advanced Automation and Design option at Cranfield University. Prior to his academic career, he worked for 5 years in industry as a manufacturing and product engineer for Sony Electronics and Solar Turbines.
Isidro's research interests include the incipient detection of damage in highly added value materials, components and structures for structural health systems. In addition to his research, he is involved in teaching and supervision of postgraduate students. Previously, he enjoyed a successful 5 year period as a research fellow in ultra-precision technologies.
He has a strong background in Degradation, Maintenance Systems, Complex Fatigue Testing, Performance of Ultra-Precision Bearings and Diamond Tool Degradation
- Network Rail
- Thales Avionics
- International Paint
- Active Space Technologies
- Barden Bearings
Articles In Journals
- Carlander L , Kirkwood L, Shehab E, Baguley P & Durazo-Cardenas I (2016) Integration of cost-risk assessment of denial of service within an intelligent maintenance system, Procedia CIRP, 47 66-71.
- Syed AK, Fitzpatrick ME, Moffatt JE, Doucet J & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Effect of impact damage on fatigue performance of structures reinforced with GLARE bonded crack retarders, International Journal of Fatigue, 80 (Nov) 231-237.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Tsourdos A, Bevilacqua M & Morineau J (2014) Precise vehicle location as a fundamental parameter for intelligent selfaware rail-track maintenance systems, Procedia CIRP, 22 219-224.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Corbett J & Stephenson DJ (2014) Permeability and dynamic elastic moduli of controlled porosity ultra-precision aerostatic structures, Ceramics International, 40 (2) 3041-3051.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Noguera-Sagrera A & Impey SA (2014) Analysis of infrared optical polishing effluents and reduction of COD and TSS levels by ultrafiltration and coagulation/flocculation, Desalination and Water Treatment, 52 (25-27) 4612-4621.
- McLaughlin P & Durazo-Cardenas I (2013) Cellular manufacturing applications in MRO operations, Procedia CIRP, 11 254-259.
- Durazo-Cardenas IS, Stephenson DJ & Corbett J (2010) Controlled porosity alumina structures for ultra-precision hydrostatic journal bearings, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 93 (11) 3671-3678.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Corbett J & Stephenson DJ (2010) The performance of a porous ceramic hydrostatic journal bearing, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 224 (J1) 81-89.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Shore P, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Cox A (2006) 3D characterisation of tool wear whilst diamond turning silicon, Wear, 262 (3-4) 340-349.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Amaraegbeni C & Starr A (2016) Fusion of railway network data streams for asset usage in intelligent maintenance systems. In: EuroMaintenance 2016, Athens, 30 May - 1 June 2016.
- Emmanouilidis C, Pistofidis P, Fournaris A, Bevilacqua M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Botsaris PN, Katsouros V, Koulamas C & Starr AG (2016) Context-based and human-centred information fusion in diagnostics. In: 3rd IFAc Workshop on Advanced Maintenance Engineering, Services and Technology AMEST 2016, Biarritz, 19-21 October 2016.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Starr A & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Data fusion strategy for precise vehicle location for intelligent self-aware maintenance systems. In: IEEE 6th International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 9-12 February 2015.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Starr A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Blacktop K (2015) An intelligent framework and prototype for autonomous maintenance planning in the rail industry. In: 1st international conference on vehicle technology and intelligent transport systems (VEHITS 2015), Lisbon, 20-22 May 2015.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner C, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Baguley P & Shehab E (2015) An Intelligent Maintenance System for the Rail: Integrating Condition, Planning and Cost. In: Railway Engineering 2015, Edinburgh, 30 June 2015.
- Marson S, Villa R, Cardenas-Durazo I, Evans RW, Storti A, Heaume A, Marinello F, Carmignato S, Fairley M, Jennings P & Allen DM (2013) Sinusoidal CVD diamond micro-tools for the manufacture of microstructured surfaces used in bioremediation. In: 6th International Conference on Micro Manufacturing 2011 (ICOMM2011), Tokyo, 7 March 2010.
- Pozzi M, Canziani A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Zhu M (2012) Experimental characterisation of macro fibre composites and monolithic piezoelectric transducers for strain energy harvesting. In: Smart Structures/NDE 2012 , San Diego, CA, 12-15 March 2012.
- Marson S, Villa R, Durazo-Cardenas I, Evans R, Storti A, Heaume A, Marinello F, Carmignato S & Allen D (2011) Micro-patterned biological interfaces manufactured by diamond turning with CVD diamond micro-tools. In: 11th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN 2011), Lake Como, 23-27 May 2011.
- Allen DM & Durazo-Cardenas IS (2009) PCD tooling made by combined laser beam machining and focused ion beam machining. In: euspen 9th International Conference 2009, San Sebastian, Spain, 2 June 2009.
- Kirkwood L, Durazo-Cardenas I & Shore P (2009) Tool failure mechanisms while single point diamond turning silicon. In: Laser metrology and machine performance IX : 9th International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology, Machine Tool, CMM & Robotic Performance 2009 (LAMDAMAP 2009) , Uxbridge, 29 June 2009.
- Luo X, Shore P, Durazo-Cardenas IS, Heaume AM & Jacklin T (2006) A new approach for measuring tool wear volume in single point diamond turning of silicon. In: 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK, 5 September 2006.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Luo X, Jacklin T, Impey SA & Shore P (2005) Tool-life influence of diamond gems whilst diamond turning of silicon infrared optics. In: 1st International Industrial Diamond Conference, Barcelona, 20 October 2005.