Contact Dr Irfan Madani
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 752993
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Madani Obtained an MSc in Flight Dynamics from Cranfield College of Aeronautics and a PhD in Flight Navigation and Guidance Systems from the University of Sheffield.
He joined Cranfield as a Research Assistant in avionics covering navigation systems, trajectory optimisation and CNS/ATM in 2010 and then subsequently became a Teaching Fellow before appointed as a Lecturer.
He has more than four years experience in the aircraft industry working in aircraft flight testing for flight control, hydraulic and landing gear systems. After working in industry, he had also been involved in teaching aircraft systems, satellite-based navigation and inertial systems for a few years and research in radar system, aircraft guidance, navigation and control.
Dr Madani has experience as a Technical Specialist for a Cranfield University task-team working to the EU Clean Sky Joint Technology Initiative for a few years before he became the Technical Manager of the programme. He is a member of Royal Aeronautical Society, the Society of Flight Test Engineers, ION and AIAA.
Dr Madani's current teaching responsibilities include lecturing Global Navigation Satellite Systems, Aerospace Software Engineering with Ada and Air Traffic Control.
His current research interests include flight navigation and guidance, aircraft modelling and simulation, flight trajectory optimisation and CNS/ATM system. He also supervises design and research projects in the field of avionic systems.
Dr Madani is also the Course Director for Aircraft Engineering MSc programme.
Articles In Journals
- Gatsinzi D, Saez Nieto FJ & Madani I (2019) Development of a new method for ATFCM based on trajectory-based operations, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 233 (1) 261-284.
- Seresinhe R, Lawson C & Madani I (2018) Improving the operating efficiency of the more electric aircraft concept through optimised flight procedures, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 10 (2) 463-478.
- Gatsinzi D, Saez Nieto FJ & Madani I (2018) ECAC use case of optimised pre-tactical time of arrival adjustments to reduce probability of separation infringements, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 51 (9) 186-192.
- Gibbs G, Jia H & Madani I (2017) Obstacle detection with ultrasonic sensors and signal analysis metrics, Transportation Research Procedia, 28 173-182.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Madani I (2018) A study of a trajectory optimization of a short haul flight. In: 2018 Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference AIAA Aviation Forum, Atlanta, Georgia, 25-29 June 2018.
- Katta BR & Madani I (2017) Traffic avoidance and separation system. In: 2017 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), Udupi, 13-16 September 2017.
- Gatsinzi D, Saez Nieto FJ & Madani I (2016) Hot spot identification and mitigation at strategic level by subliminal changes in aircraft time of arrival at junction. In: 6th SESAR Innovation Days, 2016, TU Delft, 8-10 November 2016.
- Lawson C, Madani I, Seresinhe R & Nalianda D (2015) Trajectory Optimization of Airliners to Minimize Environmental Impact. In: SAE 2015 AeroTech Congress & Exhibition, Seattle, Washington, 22-24 September 2015.
- Shinkafi A, Lawson C, Seresinhe R, Quaglia D & Madani I (2014) An intelligent ice protection system for next generation aircraft trajectory optimisation. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Seresinhe R, Lawson C, Shinkafi A, Quaglia D & Madani I (2014) Airframe systems power off-take modelling in more-electric large aircraft for use in trajectory optimisation. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Gu W, Navaratne R, Quaglia D, Yu Y, Madani I, Sethi V, Jia H, Chircop K, Sabatini R & Zammit-Mangion D (2012) Towards the development of a multi-disciplinary flight trajectory optimization tool: GATAC. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2012), Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.
- Madani I & Allerton DJ (2006)
An Optimized Routing Method for Terrain Referenced Navigation. In: AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit 2006, Keystone, Colorado, 21-24 August 2006.
- Indriyatmoko A, Jenie SD, Madani I & Budiyono A (2004) Design and Implementation of Landing Guidance Program with Tunnel in the Sky based on GPS. In: Fourth Indonesia-Taiwan Workshop on Aeronautical Science, Technology and Industry, Bandung, 18 May 2004.