Contact Dr Ioannis Giannopoulos
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Structures
- Aircraft Design
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Ioannis Giannopoulos has had 15 years of professional experience prior to joining Cranfield University in 2013 as a Lecturer in the Aircraft Design Group. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, a Master of Science in Advanced Mechanical Engineering, a Master of Science in Computational Mechanics while his doctorate dissertation was in the field of strength prediction of composite airframe structures.
Ioannis has mainly worked for Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI) and been involved in various aircraft projects from major OEMs (Boeing, Lockheed, Vought, EADS, Dassault Aviation and others) under various operational roles (configuration control, manufacturing planning, airframe design and stress analysis, fatigue and damage tolerance analysis). Besides the above mentioned, he has experience in hydraulic power systems and controls. For a period of two years, he has served the Hellenic Army as a Military Candidate Officer.
Dr Giannopoulos is currently the Course Director of the MSc in Aerospace Vehicle Design and mainly lectures and supervises students in the fields of airframe stress and strength analysis and initial airframe structural layout. His main areas of interest are: airframe structural integrity prediction of metallic and composite structures by means of testing and/or numerical simulation, fatigue and damage tolerance and fracture mechanics.
- BSc (Honours) Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Budapest
- MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering, University College London
- MSc Computational Mechanics, National Technical University of Athens
- PhD Computational Mechanics, National Technical University of Athens
- Hydraulic power systems and controls designer, 4 years of experience
- Aircraft manufacturing, 5 years of experience
- Aircraft stress analysis and design, 6 years of experience
- Hellenic Army Candidate Officer, 2 years of service
- Stress and Strength analysis of Metallic and Composite structures
- Fatigue and Damage Tolerance
- Fracture Mechanics
- Finite Element Modelling and Analysis
Articles In Journals
- Giannopoulos IK, Yasaee M & Maropakis N (2021) Ballistic impact and virtual testing of woven FRP laminates, Journal of Composites Science, 5 (5, May) Article No. 115.
- Perdikoulis PV, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2021) Bird strike virtual testing for preliminary airframe design, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Available online 25 February 2021 (2).
- Gao G, An L, Giannopoulos IK, Han N, Ge E & Hu G (2020) Progressive damage numerical modelling and simulation of aircraft composite bolted joints bearing response, Materials, 13 (24) Article No. 5606.
- Giannopoulos IK, Grafton K, Guo S & Smith H (2020) Damage tolerance of CFRP airframe bolted joints in bearing, following bolt pull-through failure, Composites Part B: Engineering, 185 (March) Article No. 107766.
- Li W, Guo S, Giannopoulos IK, He S & Liu Y (2020) Strength enhancement of bonded composite laminate joints reinforced by composite pins, Composite Structures, 236 (March) Article No. 111916. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2020.111916
- Gaitanelis DG, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2019) Numerical FEA parametric analysis of CAI behaviour of CFRP stiffened panels, Thin-Walled Structures, 143 (October) Article No. 106231.
- Kourousis KI, Chatzi AV & Giannopoulos I (2018) The Airbus A320 family fan cowl door safety modification: a human factors scenario analysis, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 90 (6) 967-972.
- Giannopoulos IK, Doroni-Dawes D, Kourousis KI & Yasaee M (2017) Effects of bolt torque tightening on the strength and fatigue life of airframe FRP laminate bolted joints, Composites Part B: Engineering, 125 (September) 19-26.
- Giannopoulos IK, Theotokoglou EE & Zhang X (2016) Impact damage and CAI strength of a woven CFRP material with fire retardant properties, Composites Part B: Engineering, 91 (April) 8-17.
- Giannopoulos IK, Theotokoglou EE & Zhang X (2015) Design and numerical modeling of a pressurized airframe bulkhead joint, Journal of Aircraft, 52 (6) 1729-1735.
- Sideridis E, Theotokoglou EE & Giannopoulos I (2015) Analytical and computational study of the moduli of fiber-reinforced composites and comparison with experiments, Composite Interfaces, 22 (7) 563-578.
- Tserpes KI, Karachalios V, Giannopoulos I, Prentzias V & Ruzek R (2014) Strain and damage monitoring in CFRP fuselage panels using fiber Bragg grating sensors. Part I: Design, manufacturing and impact testing, Composite Structures, 107 (January) 726-736.
- Miao T, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2021) Numerical simulation of bolted joints pull through failure. In: 10th GRACM International Congress on Computational Mechanics, Online, 5-7 July 2021.
- Milan C, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2021) Crashworthiness behaviour of a composite fuselage section with cargo door. In: 10th GRACM International Congress on Computational Mechanics, Online, 5-7 July 2021.
- Moulkiotis CN, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2021) Experimental testing correlation with numerical meso-scale modelling of CFRP structures and the significance to virtual certification of airframes. In: 14th World Congress in Computational Mechanics (WCCM) ECCOMAS 2020, Online, 11-15 January 2021.
- Perdikoulis PV, Theotokoglou EE & Giannopoulos IK (2021) Bird strike virtual testing simulations and results, for preliminary airframe design structural optimization. In: 14th World Congress in Computational Mechanics (WCCM) ECCOMAS 2020, Online, 11-15 January 2021.
- Giannopoulos IK, Bleoju NA, Tourlomousis I & Theotokoglou EE (2019) Numerical analysis failure prediction of CFRP stiffened panels in the context of optimal airframe structural performance. In: 12th HSTAM 2019 International Congress on Mechanics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 22-25 September 2019.
- Gaitanelis DG, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2019) Parametric analysis of cohesive zone model method for CFRP stiffened panel CAI behaviour. In: 12HSTAM 2019 International Congress on Mechanics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 22-25 September 2019.
- Li W, Guo S & Giannopoulos I (2018) Composites joints reinforced by composite rivets. In: 1st International Conference on Advances in Aerospace Structures, Systems and Technology: AASST, London, 6-8 May 2018.
- Deskiewicz AW, Giannopoulos IK & Theotokoglou EE (2018) Preliminary analysis method for FRP laminate impact damage size prediction. In: 9th GRACM, International Congress on Computational Mechanics, 2018, Chania, 4-6 June 2018.
- Larkin D, Giannopoulos I & Theotokoglou E (2017) Sensitivity of composite scarf joints to manufacturing deviation and disbond under tensile load. In: 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, 18-23 June 2017.
- Bolyky A, Giannopoulos I & Theotokoglou E (2017) Micromechanical modelling and interfacial strength prediction of multidirectional laminated fibre reinforced polymers. In: 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, 18-23 June 2017.
- Theotokoglou EE, Giannopoulos I & Sideridis E (2015) Analytical, experimental and numerical approach of storage and loss moduli of fibre reinforced epoxy composites. In: 20th International Conference on Composite Materials, 2015 (ICCM20), Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2015.
- Theotokoglou EE, Sideridis E & Giannopoulos I (2014) Analytical and Computational Solution of Moduli and Fracture of Fiber Reinforced Composites. In: 20th European Conference on Fracture (ECF20), Trondheim, 30 June - 4 July 2014.