Contact Dr Ioannis Giannopoulos
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754692
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Structures
- Aircraft Design
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Ioannis Giannopoulos has had 15 years of professional experience prior to joining Cranfield University in 2013 as a Lecturer in the Aircraft Design Group. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, a Master of Science in Advanced Mechanical Engineering, a Master of Science in Computational Mechanics while his doctorate dissertation was in the field of strength prediction of composite airframe structures.
Ioannis has mainly worked for Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI) and been involved in various aircraft projects from major OEMs (Boeing, Lockheed, Vought, EADS, Dassault Aviation and others) under various operational roles (configuration control, manufacturing planning, airframe design and stress analysis, fatigue and damage tolerance analysis). Besides the above mentioned, he has experience in hydraulic power systems and controls. For a period of two years, he has served the Hellenic Army as a Military Candidate Officer.
Dr Giannopoulos is currently the Course Director of the MSc in Aerospace Vehicle Design and mainly lectures and supervises students in the fields of airframe stress and strength analysis and initial airframe structural layout. His main areas of interest are: airframe structural integrity prediction of metallic and composite structures by means of testing and/or numerical simulation, fatigue and damage tolerance and fracture mechanics.
- BSc (Honours) Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Budapest
- MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering, University College London
- MSc Computational Mechanics, National Technical University of Athens
- PhD Computational Mechanics, National Technical University of Athens
- Hydraulic power systems and controls designer, 4 years of experience
- Aircraft manufacturing, 5 years of experience
- Aircraft stress analysis and design, 6 years of experience
- Hellenic Army Candidate Officer, 2 years of service
- Stress and Strength analysis of Metallic and Composite structures
- Fatigue and Damage Tolerance
- Fracture Mechanics
- Finite Element Modelling and Analysis
Articles In Journals
- Giannopoulos IK, Doroni-Dawes D, Kourousis KI & Yasaee M (2017) Effects of bolt torque tightening on the strength and fatigue life of airframe FRP laminate bolted joints, Composites Part B: Engineering, 125 (September) 19-26.
- Giannopoulos IK, Theotokoglou EE & Zhang X (2016) Impact damage and CAI strength of a woven CFRP material with fire retardant properties, Composites Part B: Engineering, 91 (April) 8-17.
- Giannopoulos IK, Theotokoglou EE & Zhang X (2015) Design and numerical modeling of a pressurized airframe bulkhead joint, Journal of Aircraft, 52 (6) 1729-1735.
- Sideridis E, Theotokoglou EE & Giannopoulos I (2015) Analytical and computational study of the moduli of fiber-reinforced composites and comparison with experiments, Composite Interfaces, 22 (7) 563-578.
- Tserpes KI, Karachalios V, Giannopoulos I, Prentzias V & Ruzek R (2014) Strain and damage monitoring in CFRP fuselage panels using fiber Bragg grating sensors. Part I: Design, manufacturing and impact testing, Composite Structures, 107 726-736.
- Kourousis KI, Chatzi AV & Giannopoulos I The Airbus A320 family fan cowl door safety modification: a human factors scenario analysis, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, In press.
- Larkin D, Giannopoulos I & Theotokoglou E (2017) Sensitivity of composite scarf joints to manufacturing deviation and disbond under tensile load. In: 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, 18-23 June 2017.
- Bolyky A, Giannopoulos I & Theotokoglou E (2017) Micromechanical modelling and interfacial strength prediction of multidirectional laminated fibre reinforced polymers. In: 14th International Conference on Fracture (ICF14), Rhodes, 18-23 June 2017.
- Theotokoglou EE, Giannopoulos I & Sideridis E (2015) Analytical, experimental and numerical approach of storage and loss moduli of fibre reinforced epoxy composites. In: 20th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM20), Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2015.
- Theotokoglou EE, Sideridis E & Giannopoulos I (2014) Analytical and Computational Solution of Moduli and Fracture of Fiber Reinforced Composites. In: 20th European Conference on Fracture (ECF20), Trondheim, 30 June - 4 July 2014.