Contact Dr Iman Dayyani
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Structures
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Structures and Materials
Dr Iman Dayyani joined Cranfield University (CU) as Lecturer in Structures in March 2016. He has extensive expertise in the development of novel structural characteristics for multidisciplinary applications in aerospace engineering. This includes a broad range of work on composite morphing structures capable of large scale geometry changes.
Prior to joining CU, Dr Dayyani was a lecturer in Mechanical and Automotive Engineering at Coventry University in 2015, with a research focus on the design of lightweight composite structures for carbon efficient vehicles. In June 2012, he was a full time research assistant at Swansea University (SU) for three years on "Composite Corrugated Structures for Skin of Morphing Aircraft". This project was part of ‘’Optimisation of Multi-scale Structures with applications to Morphing Aircraft’’, funded by European Research Council (ERC). In addition, Dr Dayyani was awarded £40K PhD studentship jointly sponsored by ERC and SU in July 2012. His PhD which was supervised by Prof. Friswell, was awarded after 2.5 years due to his high standard and hardworking research formally acknowledged by SU.
The challenge and novelty of his PhD was to design and manufacture morphing skin with extreme anisotropic behaviour, i.e. highly stiff to withstand the external aerodynamic loads while flexible to enable the shape changes. This required in-depth analysis of reliable equivalent models for composite corrugated skin to be applied in buckling analysis and optimization of the skin. He experimentally investigated the detailed mechanical behaviour of corrugated skins with elastomer coating, which has become the source of validation for many papers in the literature. He successfully has inspired and led other researchers at SU, for example the publication of a comprehensive review paper on ‘’composite corrugated structures with applications in morphing aircraft’’ in journal of Composite Structures. Moreover, he has presented the results and innovations of these researches at over 10 national and international peer reviewed conferences, for example: the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
PhD opportunities providing experimental, numerical and analytical skills are:
Topology Optimization of Cellular Structures
Crashworthiness of Composites and Lightweight Structures
Design of Aerospace Structures ( Wing, ...)
Dr Dayyani is currently the Co-Investigator (CI) of a £1.75M project on Highly Integrated Power-plant and Aerospace Structures at the Aircraft Integration Research Centre (AIRC) at CU. He investigates the use of alternative configurations, disruptive technologies or alternative interface definitions to optimize wing structures with the objectives of weight reduction and increasing the integration between wing and power-plant systems and structures. This is in light of Powerplant Integration with Platform Systems (PIPS), a £8.9M project funded by Rolls-Royce and Innovate UK. Dr Dayyani was Principal Investigator (PI) of a £50K research project funded by Rolls-Royce on preliminary design of large scale rig hardware for aircraft wing testing in the AIRC, CU.
Dr Dayyani is a key member of Airbus research portfolio at CU, investigating development of advanced materials and structures to increase shock absorption as well as reducing noise and vibration in landing gear systems. He has been successful to win £100K CU funding to hire a PhD student on ‘’Dynamic Structural Characteristics of Metamaterials and Morphing Structures’’ (started from April 2017 for 3 years). He has dedicated substantial time and effort to develop this research. So far, his thought leadership on this research has led to the award of Erasmus+ research grant in Delft University for 4 months as well as submission of a patent application and three journal papers on development, testing and analytical behaviour of Fish Cell metamaterial. He is currently co-supervising two other PhD students on ‘’topology optimisation of hybrid metal-composites for efficient engine integration’’. Moreover, Dr Dayyani has successfully completed the supervision of one PhD student and supervised over 15 MSc students on various topics such as ‘’design and experiments of cellular sandwich panels for enhanced impact resistance’’. Supporting and inspiring these students to maximise collaboration and knowledge exchange has resulted in the award of the best poster presentation among all PhD students at CU in June 2018.
Dr Dayyani has well recognised communication skills; he was invited recently by Innovate UK to give lectures on ‘’Mechanical Metamaterials and Morphing Structures’’, where he disseminated his research findings and developed new relationships across different industries, disciplines and sectors such as BAE Systems and Innovate UK. Dr Dayyani is an active member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers (MIMECHE) and Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) where he has developed strong relationships with multiple disciplines and sectors. He leads the design and delivery of post graduate modules in different national and international programmes, such as: Turkish Aerospace, Australian Department of Defence and Leonardo Helicopter. He has developed new relationships with these institutes through knowledge exchange as well as collaboration on publications and grant applications.
Articles In Journals
- Jha A, Cimolai G & Dayyani I (2024) Crashworthiness and dimensional stability analysis of zero Poisson’s ratio fish cells lattice structures, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 184 (February) Article No. 104809.
- Qin Q & Dayyani I (2023) Cylindrical helical cell metamaterial with large strain zero Poisson’s ratio for shape morphing analysis, Smart Materials and Structures, 32 (10) Article No. 105039.
- Deja J, Dayyani I & Skote M (2023) Modelling and performance evaluation of sustainable arresting gear energy recovery system for commercial aircraft, International Journal of Green Energy, 20 (10) 1086-1100. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20066996
- Qin Q & Dayyani I (2023) Large strain zero Poisson’s ratio spring cell metamaterial with critical defect analysis and variable stiffness distributions, Composite Structures, 3180 (August) Article No. 117102.
- Deja J, Dayyani I, Nair V & Skote M (2023) More electric aircraft conversion to all-electric during ground operations: battery powered landing gear drive system, IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Available online 28 March 2023. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.22013231
- You C, Yasaee M, He S, Yang D, Xu Y, Dayyani I, Ghasemnejad H, Guo S, Webb P, Jennings J & Federico G (2022) Identification of the key design inputs for the FEM-based preliminary sizing and mass estimation of a civil aircraft wing box structure, Aerospace Science and Technology, 121 (February) Article No. 107284.
- Arhore EG, Yasaee M & Dayyani I (2022) Optimisation of convolutional neural network architecture using genetic algorithm for the prediction of adhesively bonded joint strength, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 65 (September) Article No. 256.
- Rana ZA, Mauret F, Sanchez-Gil JM, Zeng K, Hou Z, Dayyani I & Könözsy L (2022) Computational analysis and design of an aerofoil with morphing tail for improved aerodynamic performance in transonic regime, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1301) 1144-1167.
- Qin Q, Dayyani I & Webb P (2022) Structural mechanics of cylindrical fish-cell zero Poisson’s ratio metamaterials, Composite Structures, 289 (June) Article No. 115455.
- Cimolai G, Dayyani I & Qin Q (2022) Multi-objective shape optimization of large strain 3D helical structures for mechanical metamaterials, Materials and Design, 215 (March) Article No. 110444.
- Arhore EG, Yasaee M & Dayyani I (2021) Comparison of GA and topology optimization of adherend for adhesively bonded metal composite joints, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 226-227 (September) Article No. 111078.
- Jha A & Dayyani I (2021) Shape optimisation and buckling analysis of large strain Zero Poisson’s Ratio fish-cells metamaterial for morphing structures, Composite Structures, 268 (July) Article No. 113995.
- Naghavi Zadeh M, Alijani F, Chen X, Dayyani I, Yasaee M, Mirzaali MJ & Zadpoor AA (2021) Dynamic characterization of 3D printed mechanical metamaterials with tunable elastic properties, Applied Physics Letters, 118, (21) Article No. 211901.
- Bazmara M, Silani M & Dayyani I (2021) Effect of functionally-graded interphase on the elasto-plastic behavior of nylon-6/clay nanocomposites; a numerical study, Defence Technology, 17 (1) 177-184.
- Lim J, You C & Dayyani I (2020) Multi-objective topology optimization and structural analysis of periodic spaceframe structures, Materials and Design, 120 (May) Article No. 108522.
- Naghavi Zadeh M, Dayyani I & Yasaee M (2020) Fish cells, a new zero Poisson’s ratio metamaterial - Part I: Design and experiment, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 31 (13) 1617-1637.
- Naghavi Zadeh M, Dayyani I & Yasaee M (2020) Fish cells, a new zero Poisson’s ratio metamaterial - part II: Elastic properties, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 31 (19) 2196-2210.
- You C, Yasaee M, Dayyani & I (2019) Structural similitude design for a scaled composite wing box based on optimised stacking sequence, Composite Structures, 226 (October) Article No. 111255.
- Ermakova A & Dayyani I (2017) Shape optimisation of composite corrugated morphing skins, Composites Part B: Engineering, 115 (April) 87-101.
- Haddad Khodaparast H, Govers Y, Dayyani I, Adhikari S, Link M, Friswell MI, Mottershead JE & Sienz J (2017) Fuzzy finite element model updating of the DLR AIRMOD test structure, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 52 (December) 512-526.
- Dayyani I & Friswell MI (2017) Multi-objective optimization for the geometry of trapezoidal corrugated morphing skins, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 55 (1) 331-345.
- Flores EIS, Ajaj RM, Dayyani I, Chandra Y & Das R (2016) Multi-scale model updating for the mechanical properties of cross-laminated timber, Computers and Structures, 177 83-90.
- Shaw A, Dayyani I & Friswell M (2015) Optimisation of composite corrugated skins for buckling in morphing aircraft, Composite Structures, 119 (January) 227-237.
- Saavedra Flores E, Dayyani I, Ajaj R, Castro-Triguero R, DiazDelao F, Das R & González Soto P (2015) Analysis of cross-laminated timber by computational homogenisation and experimental validation, Composite Structures, 121 (March) 386-394.
- Mohammadi H, Ziaei-Rad S & Dayyani I (2015) An equivalent model for trapezoidal corrugated cores based on homogenization method, Composite Structures, 131 160-170.
- Dayyani I, Shaw A, Saavedra Flores E & Friswell M (2015) The mechanics of composite corrugated structures: A review with applications in morphing aircraft, Composite Structures, 133 358-380.
- Dayyani I, Khodaparast H, Woods B & Friswell M (2015) The design of a coated composite corrugated skin for the camber morphing airfoil, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 26 (13) 1592-1608.
- Saavedra Flores E, Ajaj R, Adhikari S, Dayyani I, Friswell M & Castro-Triguero R (2015) Hyperelastic tension of graphene, Applied Physics Letters, 106 (6).
- Dayyani I, Friswell M & Saavedra Flores E (2014) A general super element for a curved beam, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 51 (17) 2931-2939.
- Barbarino S, Saavedra Flores E, Ajaj R, Dayyani I & Friswell M (2014) A review on shape memory alloys with applications to morphing aircraft, Smart Materials and Structures, 23 (6).
- Woods B, Dayyani I & Friswell M (2014) Fluid/structure-interaction analysis of the fish-bone-active-camber morphing concept, Journal of Aircraft, 52 (1) 307-319.
- Dayyani I, Ziaei-Rad S & Friswell M (2014) The mechanical behavior of composite corrugated core coated with elastomer for morphing skins, Journal of Composite Materials, 48 (13) 1623-1636.
- Dayyani I, Friswell M, Ziaei-Rad S & Saavedra Flores E (2013) Equivalent models of composite corrugated cores with elastomeric coatings for morphing structures, Composite Structures, 104 281-292.
- Dayyani I, Moore M & Shahidi A (2013) Unilateral buckling of point-restrained triangular plates, Thin-Walled Structures, 66 1-8.
- Dayyani I, Ziaei-Rad S & Salehi H (2012) Numerical and experimental investigations on mechanical behavior of composite corrugated core, Applied Composite Materials, 19 (3-4) 705-721.
- Deja J, Akbari A, Dayyani I, Skote M & Lowther D (2023) Energy harvesting frictionless brakes for short-haul aircraft: thermal and electromagnetic feasibility of an axial-flux machine for a landing gear drive system. In: 2023 AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition (AIAA AVIATION Forum), San Diego, 12-16 June 2023. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.22814771
- Arhore EG, Mehdi Y & Dayyani I (2022) Neural network assisted Ga optimization of adhesively bonded composite joints. In: 20th European Conference on Composite Materials: Composites Meet Sustainability, ECCM 2022, Lausanne, 26-30 June 2022.
- Liu C, Yasaee M & Dayyani I (2017) Multi-material topology optimization for composite metal aircraft structures. In: 21st International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM21), 2017, Xi’an, 20-25 August 2017.
- Dayyani I, Friswell M, Khodaparast H & Woods B (2014) The design of a corrugated skin for the FishBAC compliant structure. In: 22nd AIAA/ASME/AHS Adaptive Structures Conference, 2014, Maryland, MD, 13-17 January 2014.