Contact Dr Iman Dayyani
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758292
- Email: I.Dayyani@cranfield.ac.uk
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/iman-dayyani-314b5589?trk=hp-identity-name
- Blog: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=GE_E6HwAAAAJ&hl=en
Areas of expertise
Dr Iman Dayyani joined Cranfield University (CU) as a lecturer in structures in March 2016. His has extensive expertise in the development of novel structural characteristics for multidisciplinary problems in aerospace engineering. This includes a broad range of work on morphing skins and adaptive structures capable of large scale geometry changes.
Prior to joining CU, Dr Dayyani was a lecturer in Mechanical and Automotive Engineering at Coventry University in 2015, with a research focus on the designing lightweight composite structures for carbon efficient vehicles. In June 2012, Dr Dayyani was a research assistant at Swansea University (SU) for three years on "Composite Corrugated Structures for Skin of Morphing Aircraft". This project was part of ‘’Optimisation of Multi-scale Structures with applications to Morphing Aircraft’’, funded by European Research Council (ERC). In addition, Dr Dayyani was awarded £40K PhD studentship jointly sponsored by ERC and SU in July 2012. His PhD was awarded after 2.5 years due to his hardworking research formally acknowledged by SU. The challenge and novelty of his PhD was to design morphing skin with extreme anisotropic behaviour, i.e. highly stiff to withstand the external aerodynamic loads while flexible to enable the shape changes. From 2005-2012, Dr Dayyani studied his BSc and MSc in Mechanical Engineering at Isfahan University of Technology, Iran where he was officially awarded a highly competitive title ‘’Exceptionally Talented Student’’.
Dr Dayyani is currently investigating the £1.75M project on Highly Integrated Power-plant and Aircraft Structures at the Aircraft Integration Research Centre (AIRC) in CU. He investigates the use of alternative configurations, disruptive technologies or alternative interface definitions to optimize wing structures with the objectives of weight reduction and increasing the integration between wing and power-plant systems and structures. This is in light of Powerplant Integration with Platform Systems (PIPS), a £8.9M project funded by Rolls-Royce (R-R) and Innovate UK. Dr Dayyani was one of the Principal Investigators (PI) of a £47K research project funded by R-R on preliminary design of large scale rig hardware for aircraft wing testing in the AIRC, CU. This project was successfully completed and now is in the commissioning phase.
Furthermore, he has been successful to win £100K CU funding to hire a PhD student on ‘’Dynamic Structural Characteristics of Morphing Structures’’ (started from April 2017 for 3 years). He is also second supervisor of two other PhD students working on ‘’ Multi-Scale Optimised Pylon Structures for Efficient Engine Integration’’ and ‘’Effect of Multi-Stitched Locations on High Speed Crushing and Impact of Composite Tubular Structures’’. On teaching, he is leader for delivering two post graduate theoretical modules: Continuum Mechanics and Finite Element Methods (FEM).
Articles In Journals
- Dayyani I & Friswell MI (2017) Multi-objective optimization for the geometry of trapezoidal corrugated morphing skins, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 55 (1) 331-345.
- Ermakova A & Dayyani I (2017) Shape optimisation of composite corrugated morphing skins, Composites Part B: Engineering, 115 (April) 87-101.
- Haddad Khodaparast H, Govers Y, Dayyani I, Adhikari S, Link M, Friswell MI, Mottershead JE & Sienz J (2017) Fuzzy finite element model updating of the DLR AIRMOD test structure, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 52 (December) 512-526.
- Flores EIS, Ajaj RM, Dayyani I, Chandra Y & Das R (2016) Multi-scale model updating for the mechanical properties of cross-laminated timber, Computers and Structures, 177 83-90.
- Mohammadi H, Ziaei-Rad S & Dayyani I (2015) An equivalent model for trapezoidal corrugated cores based on homogenization method, Composite Structures, 131 160-170.
- Dayyani I, Shaw A, Saavedra Flores E & Friswell M (2015) The mechanics of composite corrugated structures: A review with applications in morphing aircraft, Composite Structures, 133 358-380.
- Dayyani I, Khodaparast H, Woods B & Friswell M (2015) The design of a coated composite corrugated skin for the camber morphing airfoil, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 26 (13) 1592-1608.
- Saavedra Flores E, Ajaj R, Adhikari S, Dayyani I, Friswell M & Castro-Triguero R (2015) Hyperelastic tension of graphene, Applied Physics Letters, 106 (6).
- Shaw A, Dayyani I & Friswell M (2015) Optimisation of composite corrugated skins for buckling in morphing aircraft, Composite Structures, 119 (January) 227-237.
- Saavedra Flores E, Dayyani I, Ajaj R, Castro-Triguero R, DiazDelao F, Das R & González Soto P (2015) Analysis of cross-laminated timber by computational homogenisation and experimental validation, Composite Structures, 121 (March) 386-394.
- Woods B, Dayyani I & Friswell M (2014) Fluid/structure-interaction analysis of the fish-bone-active-camber morphing concept, Journal of Aircraft, 52 (1) 307-319.
- Dayyani I, Ziaei-Rad S & Friswell M (2014) The mechanical behavior of composite corrugated core coated with elastomer for morphing skins, Journal of Composite Materials, 48 (13) 1623-1636.
- Dayyani I, Friswell M & Saavedra Flores E (2014) A general super element for a curved beam, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 51 (17) 2931-2939.
- Barbarino S, Saavedra Flores E, Ajaj R, Dayyani I & Friswell M (2014) A review on shape memory alloys with applications to morphing aircraft, Smart Materials and Structures, 23 (6).
- Dayyani I, Friswell M, Ziaei-Rad S & Saavedra Flores E (2013) Equivalent models of composite corrugated cores with elastomeric coatings for morphing structures, Composite Structures, 104 281-292.
- Dayyani I, Moore M & Shahidi A (2013) Unilateral buckling of point-restrained triangular plates, Thin-Walled Structures, 66 1-8.
- Dayyani I, Ziaei-Rad S & Salehi H (2012) Numerical and experimental investigations on mechanical behavior of composite corrugated core, Applied Composite Materials, 19 (3-4) 705-721.
- Liu C, Yasaee M & Dayyani I (2017) Multi-material topology optimization for composite metal aircraft structures. In: 21st International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM21), 2017, Xi’an, 20-25 August 2017.
- Dayyani I, Friswell M, Khodaparast H & Woods B (2014) The design of a corrugated skin for the FishBAC compliant structure. In: 22nd AIAA/ASME/AHS Adaptive Structures Conference, 2014, Maryland, MD, 13-17 January 2014.