Contact Dr Ian Wilson
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- CBRN Focus Areas
- Explosives and Munitions
Dr Ian Wilson received his PhD from Durham University after working on the synthesis and reactions of halogenated heterocycles. After a brief period as a research scientist at Nanosight Ltd he joined the Synthesis and Formulations group in the Centre for Defence Chemistry at Cranfield University as a synthetic organic chemist.
Ian's research is focused on the synthesis of energetic materials and novel processes, with a particular emphasis on flow chemistry. Recent efforts have included the synthesis of diverse materials including energetic polymers, energetic plasticisers, high explosives, and primary explosives in partnership with a variety of defence and civilian organisations.
In addition to contract research, Ian teaches practical skills as part of the “Manufacturing and Material Properties of Explosives” and “Synthesis and Handling of Energetic Compounds” courses, and lectures on the “Ammunition Technicians” and “CBRN Defence Science” courses.
He supervises research projects at both MSc (“Explosive Ordnance Engineering”) and PhD level, as well as on the “Ammunition Technical Officers” course, with a particular focus on home-made and improvised explosives.
Articles In Journals
- Moniruzzaman M, Houlihan E, Parker M & Wilson I (2023) Stability and hazard properties of improvised nitrocellulose, Journal of Energetic Materials, Available online 12 February 2023.
- Halleux F, Pons JF, Wilson I, Simoens B, Van Riet R & Lefebvre M (2023) Detonation performance of Urea-Hydrogen Peroxide (UHP), Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, Available online 23 February 2023.
- Halleux F, Pons JF, Wilson I, Van Riet R & Lefebvre M (2022) Small-scale detonation of industrial Urea-Hydrogen Peroxide (UHP), Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 47 (2) Article No. e202100250.
- Lewis D, Padfield J, Connors S, Wilson I & Akhavan J (2020) Further insights into the discoloration of TATB under ionizing radiation, Journal of Energetic Materials, 38 (3) 362-376.
- Pattison G, Sandford G, Wilson I, Yufit DS, Howard JAK, Christopher JA & Miller D (2017) Polysubstituted and ring-fused pyridazine systems from tetrafluoropyridazine, Tetrahedron, 73 (5).
- Cartwright MW, Parks EL, Pattison G, Slater R, Sandford G, Wilson I, Yufit DS, Howard JAK, Christopher JA & Miller D (2010) Annelation of perfluorinated heteroaromatic systems by 1,3-dicarbonyl derivatives, Tetrahedron, 66 (17) 3227-3227.
- Halleux F, Pons JF, Wilson I, Van Riet R, Simoens B & Lefebvre MH (2022) Detonation performance of urea hydrogen peroxide. In: 24th seminar on new trends in research of energetic materials (NTREM 2022), Pardubice, 6-8 April 2022.
- Halleux F, Stennett C, Pons J-F, Wilson I, Van Riet R & Lefebvre M (2022) Small-scale characterisation of urea hydrogen peroxide explosive performance using heterodyne velocimetry. In: First International Explosives Conference (IEC-2022), London, 22-24 June 2022.
- Humphreys L, Wilson I, McAteer D & Pons JF (2018) Development of metal-organic framework (MOF) sensors for landmine detection. In: 17th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors - IMCS 2018, Vienna, 15-19 July 2018.
- McAteer D, Pons JF, Wilson II & Cavaye H Nitration of primary amines to form primary nitramines (Review). In: 19th Seminar on new trends in research of energetic materials, Pardubice, 20-22 April 2016.