Contact Dr Hossein Balaghi Enalou
Hossein joined the centre for propulsion engineering at Cranfield University in October 2020. Before that he was a research fellow in the PEMC group at the University of Nottingham to develop a test rig for high-performance electric power generation for aerospace applications. He has an M.Sc. degree in mechanical engineering from Sharif University of Technology, and a PhD from the University of Nottingham. He was awarded first prize for his innovative work on the “Electric Power Transfer Concept for Improved Performance of Multi-spool Turbofan Jet Engine”, winning the prestigious "EU CleanSky Best PhD award" in 2020.
Since 2010, he has been working on performance modelling of gas and steam turbines. He has conducted research dealing with the development of More-Electric Aircraft, namely focusing on highly-innovative ways of optimal power off-take from multi-spool jet engine, including control of power transfer between shafts for significant improvements in engine performance, as well as on ways of optimised conversion of this power into electrical energy to supply increased number of onboard loads.
Hossein is currently a research fellow in hybrid electric propulsion architectures, carrying out research on novel engine configurations and cycles, and thermal management aspects of hybrid electric propulsion architectures.
Articles In Journals
- Pontika E, Zaghari B, Zhou T, Enalou HB & Laskaridis P (2023) Integrated mission performance analysis of novel propulsion systems: analysis of a fuel cell regional aircraft retrofit. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zaghari B, Zhou T, Enalou HB, Pontika E & Laskaridis P (2023) The impact of multi-stack fuel cell configurations on electrical architecture for a zero emission regional aircraft. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Kiran A, Zaghari B, Sinnige T, Pontika E, Enalou HB, Kipouros T & Laskaridis P (2023) The impact of electric machine and propeller coupling design on electrified aircraft noise and performance. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zhou T, Enalou HB, Pontika E, Zaghari B & Laskaridis P (2022) Minimising the effect of degradation of fuel cell stacks on an integrated propulsion architecture for an electrified aircraft. In: 2022 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference & Expo (ITEC), Anaheim, California, 15-17 June 2022.
- Affonso W, Tavares RT, Barbosa FR, Gandolfi R, dos Reis RJN, da Silva CRI, Kipouros T, Laskaridis P, Enalou HB, Chekin A, Kukovinets A, Gubernatorov K, Ravikovich Y, Ivanov N, Ponyaev L & Holobtsev D (2022) System architectures for thermal management of hybrid-electric aircraft - FutPrInt50. In: International Conference on Innovation in Aviation & Space to the Satisfaction of the European Citizens (11th EASN 2021), Virtual event, 1-3 September 2021.
- Spinelli A, Anderson L, Balaghi Enalou H, Zaghari B, Kipouros T & Laskaridis P (2021) Application of probabilistic principles to set-based design for the optimisation of a hybrid-electric propulsion system. In: International Conference on Innovation in Aviation & Space to the Satisfaction of the European Citizens (11th EASN 2021), Virtual event, 1-3 September 2021.