Contact Dr Hessam Ghasemnejad
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aerospace Structures
- Aircraft Design
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Ghasemnejad joined Cranfield University in 2016 as a senior lecturer in structures in the centre for structures, assembly and automation. As a course director, he developed and established the brand new MSc Advanced Lightweight and Composite Structures course. Prior to joining Cranfield Dr Ghasemnejad was a senior lecturer in composite materials (2011-2016) and a lecturer in Engineering design (2009-2011) in the school of aerospace and aircraft engineering at Kingston University London. He has supervised 10+ PhD and Post-Doctoral programs as the main supervisor to date and secured industrial research grants from Innovate UK, MoDs and SME partners on impact and crashworthiness analysis of advanced composite structures. He also acts as Member of Editorial Board of Journals and Scientific Committees of International Conferences.
Dr Ghasemnejad’s main research
activities are focused on experimental, analytical and numerical aspects of
stability and failure in composite structures under various transient dynamic loading
conditions such as impact damage, blast and crash. The impacts of his research have
developed technologies investigated in the awarded projects, which are
aimed to achieve a world-leading innovative production based in the UK and
healthier environments by reducing toxic emissions. This has been through
design and analysis of advanced lightweight materials for high-performance
composite aerostructures. The developed technologies have been assessed on a
formal and consistent basis to identify the most promising technologies.
As a Course Director, Dr Ghasemnejad has explored the full range of opportunities that the role provides to positively influence the enhancement of programmes and the quality of the student experience. His ongoing plans have increased student satisfaction in the course, which is one of the main achievements since he has become course director. Recent graduates have managed to secure jobs in major aerospace and automotive sectors, which indicates a piece of evidence on the quality and student satisfaction rate.
List of Post-Doctoral Completions:
2018 - 2019
Development of a novel affordable neonate-infant transport incubator
2013 - 2015
Design and optimisation of new generation of advanced aircraft composite structures
2016 - 2020
A new power-plant integration with platform systems for future wing structures
2020 - 2021
Development of Aluminium Foam Box for Crashworthiness Performance Improvement of Road Service Vehicle
Royal Academy of Engineering
2016 - 2020
Structural Integrity Enhancement of UAVs using 3D Printed Structures
2015 - 2018
Optimisation of Failure Mechanisms in Crashworthiness of Multi-stitched Composite Tubular Absorbers
2014 - 2017
Analytical Impact Analysis of Variable Curved Composite and Sandwich Panels
2014 - 2017
Analysis of the Effect of High-Velocity Impact Damage on the Repairability of CFRP Composite Panels
2011 - 2014
Explicit Finite Element Analysis to Predict Impact Damage Response of Osteoporosis Hip Bone
2010 - 2013
Delamination Failure in Natural Stitched Composite Structures
2010 - 2013
Fatigue Design of Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine (HAWT) Composite Blades
2009 - 2012
A New Approach to Project Management Based on a Combination of Predictive and Adaptive Thinking
List of PhD Completions:
- Innovate UK
- Airbus UK
- Cranfield Impact Centre (CIC)
- Leonardo Helicopter
- Turkish Aerospace Industries
- Australian Department of Defence
- Aero Optimal
- Safran Seats UK
- mOm Incubators
Articles In Journals
- Chao Correas A & Ghasemnejad H (2022) Analytical development on impact behaviour of composite sandwich laminates by differentiated loading regimes, Aerospace Science and Technology, 126 (July) Article No. 107658.
- de la Cuesta JJ & Ghasemnejad H (2022) Improvement of force history pattern in composite tubular structures by developed trigger mechanisms, Applied Composite Materials, Available online 14 June 2022.
- Sobhani Aragh B, Borzabadi Farahani E, Xu BX, Ghasemnejad H & Mansur WJ (2021) Manufacturable insight into modelling and design considerations in fibre-steered composite laminates: state of the art and perspective, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 379 (June) Article No. 113752.
- Chao Correas A, Casares Crespo A, Ghasemnejad H & Roshan G (2021) Analytical solutions to predict impact behaviour of stringer stiffened composite aircraft panels, Applied Composite Materials, 28 (4) 1237-1254.
- You C, Yasaee M, He S, Yang D, Xu Y, Dayyani I, Ghasemnejad H, Guo S, Webb P, Jennings J & Federico G (2021) Identification of the key design inputs for the FEM-based preliminary sizing and mass estimation of a civil aircraft wing box structure, Aerospace Science and Technology, Available online 14 December 2021, Article No. 107284.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2021) Finite element modelling approach for progressive crushing of composite tubular absorbers in LS-DYNA: review and findings, Journal of Composites Science, 6 (1) Article No. 11.
- Rabiee A, Ghasemnejad H, Hitchins N, Watson J, Roberts J & Khoory M (2021) Numerical model development to predict the behaviour of infant/neonate crash dummy restrained inside of an incubator under deceleration, International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, 16 (1) Article No. 11.
- Delporte Y & Ghasemnejad H (2021) Manufacturing of 3D printed laminated carbon fibre reinforced nylon composites: impact mechanics, Open Journal of Composite Materials, 11 (1) 1-11.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2020) Improvement of specific energy absorption of composite tubular absorbers using various stitching pattern designs, Applied Composite Materials, 27 (6) 717-738.
- Arachchige B, Ghasemnejad H & Yasaee M (2020) Effect of bird-strike on sandwich composite aircraft wing leading edge, Advances in Engineering Software, 148 (October) Article No. 102839.
- Rai V, Ghasemnejad H, Watson JW, Gonzalez-Domingo & Webb PF (2019) Developed trigger mechanisms to improve crush force efficiency of aluminium tubes, Engineering Structures, 199 (November) Article No. 109620.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2019) Lightweight design to improve crushing behaviour of multi-stitched composite tubular structures under impact loading, Thin-Walled Structures, 135 (February) 109-122.
- Sonmez MB, Ghasemnejad H, Kamran H & Webb PF (2019) Transverse impact response analysis of graphene panels: Impact limits, Open Journal of Composite Materials, 9 (2) 124-144.
- Arachchige B & Ghasemnejad H (2018) Effect of variable core stiffness on the impact response of curved sandwich plates, Composite Structures, 200 (September) 565-578.
- Dhakal HN, Ghasemnejad H, Zhang ZY, Ismail SO & Arumugam V (2018) The post-impact response of flax/UP composite laminates under low velocity impact loading, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 28 (2) 183-199.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2018) Laminate tailoring of composite tubular structures to improve crashworthiness design at off-axis loading, Open Journal of Composite Materials, 8 (3) Article No. 85887 84-109.
- Arachchige B & Ghasemnejad H (2017) Post impact analysis of damaged variable-stiffness curved composite plates, Composite Structures, 166 (April) 12-21.
- Almansour FA, Dhakal, HN, Zhang ZY & Ghasemnejad H (2017) Effect of hybridization on the mode II fracture toughness properties of flax/vinyl ester composites, Polymer Composites, 38 (8) 1732-1740.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2017) Progressive Crushing of Polymer Matrix Composite Tubular Structures: Review, Open Journal of Composite Materials, 7 (1) 14-48.
- Alzeanidi N & Ghasemnejad H (2017) Analysis of the effect of impact damage on the repairability of composite panels, Composite Structures, 176 (September) 304-312.
- Arachchige B, Ghasemnejad & Augousti A (2016) Theoretical approach to predict transverse impact response of variable-stiffness curved composite plates, Composites Part B: Engineering, 89 (March) 34-43.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2016) Effect of stitching pattern on composite tubular structures subjected to quasi-static crushing, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 10 (10) 1140-1144.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H (2016) Effect of multi stitched locations on high speed crushing of composite tubular structures, Composites Part B: Engineering, 100 (September) 164-175.
- Razmkhah O & Ghasemnejad H (2016) Explicit finite element analysis to predict impact damage response of osteoporosis hip bone, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 4 (1) 17-29.
- Arachchige B & Ghasemnejad H (2016) An approach to low velocity impact damage modelling of variable stiffness curved composite plates, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 3 (10).
- Al-Khudairi O & Ghasemnejad H (2015) To improve failure resistance in joint design of composite wind turbine blade materials, Renewable Energy, 81 (September) 936-951.
- Ghafari-Namini N & Ghasemnejad H (2015) Controllable crack propagation in off-axis crushing of stitched composite absorbers, Composites, 5 (September) 93-100.
- Ghasemnejad H & Mirzaii H (2014) To improve mixed-mode interlaminar fracture toughness of composite sub-structures, Composites, 4 32-39.
- Ghasemnejad H, Argentiero Y, Tez T & Barrington P (2013) Impact damage response of natural stitched single lap-joint in composite structures, Materials and Design, 51 552-560.
- Ghasemnejad H, Soroush VR, Mason PJ & Weager B (2012) To improve impact damage response of single and multi-delaminated FRP composites using natural Flax yarn, Materials and Design, 36 (April) 865-873.
- Papadopoulos F, Aiyappa D, Shapriya R, Sotirchos E, Ghasemnejad H & Benhadj-Djilali R (2012) Advanced natural stitched composite materials in skin-stiffener of wind turbine blade structures, Key Engineering Materials, 525-526 45-48.
- Ghafari-Namini N & Ghasemnejad H (2012) Effect of natural stitched composites on the crashworthiness of box structures, Materials and Design, 39 (August) 484-494.
- Ghafari-Namini N, Ghasemnejad H & Limbachiya M (2011) Advanced finite element analysis to predict off-axis crushing behaviour of composite aero-structures, Key Engineering Materials, 488-489 41-44.
- Pereira J, Ghasemnejad H, Wen J & Tam V (2011) Blast response of cracked steel box structures repaired with carbon fibre-reinforced polymer composite patch, Materials and Design, 32 (5) 3092-3098.
- Ghasemnejad H, Occhineri L & Swift-Hook D (2011) Post-buckling failure in multi-delaminated composite wind turbine blade materials, Materials and Design, 32 (10) 5106-5112.
- Ghasemnejad H & Hadavinia H (2010) Off-axis crashworthiness characteristic of woven glass/epoxy composite box structures, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 29 (15) 2306-2330.
- Ghasemnejad H, Furquan A & Mason P (2010) Charpy impact damage behaviour of single and multi-delaminated hybrid composite beam structures, Materials and Design, 31 (8) 3653-3660.
- Hadavinia H & Ghasemnejad H (2009) Effects of Mode-I and Mode-II interlaminar fracture toughness on the energy absorption of CFRP twill/weave composite box sections, Composite Structures, 89 (2) 303-314.
- Ghasemnejad H., Blackman B., Hadavinia H. & Sudall B. (2009) Experimental studies on fracture characterisation and energy absorption of GFRP composite box structures, Composite Structures, 88 (2) 253-261.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Lewis E (2008) Crushing behaviour of CFRP composite structure, Key Engineering Materials, 385-387 85-88.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H, Marchant D & Aboutorabi A (2008) Energy absorption of thin-walled corrugated crash box in axial crushing, Structural Durability and Health Monitoring, 4 (1) 29-45.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Simpson G (2007) Crashworthiness optimization of crash box in automotive structure, Key Engineering Materials, 348-349 661-664.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Aboutorabi A (2007) Effect of delamination failure in crashworthiness analysis of hybrid composite box structures, Materials and Design, 31 (3) 1105-1116.
- Ghasemnejad H & Aboutorabi A Cohesive zone modelling (CZM) in prediction of delamination failure in laminated composite structures, Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, 5 (1) 61-64.
- Ghasemnejad H & Arachchige B (2018) Effect of variable core stiffness on the impact response of curved sandwich plates. In: ICCS21: 21st International Conference on Composite Structures, Bologna, 4-7 September 2018.
- Ghasemnejad H & Roshan G (2016) Adopting mathematical-based approach in impact response of variable-stiffness curved composite panels. In: 3rd International Conference on Advances in Structural Health Management and Composite Structures (ASHMCS2016), Jeonju, 23-25 August 2016.
- Arahchige B & Ghasemnejad H and Agousti AT Investigating effect on contact stiffness on the low velocity impact response of curved composite plate. In: 6th International Conference on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (TAM '15), Salerno, 27-29 June 2015.
- Rabiee A & Ghasemnejad H High speed crushing behaviour of GFRP composite tubes. In: 2nd International Conference on Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering (AEME '15), Budapest, 12-14 December 2015.
- Ghasemnejad H, Ghafari-Namini N & Ravanpak Z Failure analysis of off-axis crushing of stitched composite absorbers. In: 5th International Conference on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (TAM '14), Lisbon, 20 October - 1 February 2014.
- Razmkhah O, Ghasemnejad H, Argyriou V & Aboutorabi A (2013) Advanced finite element analysis to predict impact damage behaviour of fractured hip. In: 19th Congress of the European Society of Biomechanics (ESB 2013), Patras, 25-28 August 2013.
- Dhakal H, Zhang Z & Ghasemnejad H Effect of compaction pressure on water absorption behaviour and mechanical properties of hemp fibre reinforced vinyl ester composites.
- Papadopoulos F, Aiyappa D, Shapriya R, Sotirchos E & Ghasemnejad H and Benhadj-Djilali R (2012) Advanced natural stitched composite materials in skin-stiffener of wind turbine blade structures. In: 11th International Conference on Fracture and Damage Mechanics, Xian, 18-21 September 2012.
- Razmkhah O & Ghasemnejad H (2012) Green composites for advanced green structures. In: International Symposium on Environment Friendly Energies and Applications (EFEA 2012), Newcastle, 25-27 June 2012.
- Ciuraru C & Ghasemnejad H (2012) An analysis of the wind energy sector in Romania. In: 2nd International Symposium on Environment Friendly Energies and Applications (EFEA), Newcastle upon Tyne, 25-27 June 2012.
- Ghasemnejad H & Ghafari-Namini N (2012) Protection of offshore wind turbine blades against extreme conditions. In: 2nd International Symposium on Environment Friendly Energies and Applications (EFEA), Newcastle upon Tyne, 25-27 June 2012.
- Occhineri L, Ghasemnejad H & Mirzaii H Use of natural flax yarn to control post-buckling failure in multi-delaminated HAWT blade sub-structures. In: EWEA2011, Brussels, 14-17 March 2011.
- Heidari A, Pereira J, Wen J, Tam V, Ghasemnejad H, Shariff H, Donchev T & Johnson D (2011) Towards understanding the Buncefield explosion through advanced numerical analysis and experimental investigations. In: Hazards XXII: Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Liverpool, 11-14 April 2011.
- Ghasemnejad H & Aboutorabi A (2010) Cohesive zone modelling of Mode-I & Mode-II interlaminar crack propagation in laminated composite. In: 18th International Conference on Composites or Nano Engineering (ICCE-18), Anchorage, Alaska, 4-10 July 2010.
- Ghasemnejad H & Maheri A (2010) Buckling analysis for design of horizontal axis wind turbine (HAWT) composite blades. In: Composites UK 10th Annual Conference: Innovation in Composites, Birmingham, 5 May 2010.
- Esfahani MMN, Ghasemnejad H & Barrington PE Buckling response of delaminated hybrid composite beams. In: 7th International BSSM Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Liverpool, 7-9 September 2010.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Ordys A (2009) Coupling of interlaminar fracture toughness and crashworthiness in woven CFRP composite box structures. In: Composites 2009 - 2nd ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on the Mechanical Response of Composites, London, 1-3 April 2009.
- Ghasemnejad H & Hadavinia H (2009) Influence of interlaminar fracture toughness on the energy absorption of FRP composite box structures. In: 12th International Conference on Fracture 2009, Ottawa, Ontario, 12-17 July 2009.
- Ghasemnejad H, Blackman BRK & Hadavinia H (2008) Crashworthiness of composite thin-walled GFRP and CFRP boxes. In: 5th International conference on the Fracture of Polymers, Composites and Adhesives, Les Diblerets, 7-11 September 2008.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Lewis E (2008) Crushing behaviour of CFRP composite structure. In: 7th International Conference on fracture and damage mechanics, Seoul, 9-11 September 2008.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Aboutorabi A (2008) Investigation of energy absorption of a GFRP composite crash box. In: 10th International Conference on Structures Under Shock and Impact (SUSI 2008), Algarve, 14-16 May 2008.
- Ghasemnejad H, Hadavinia H & Simpson GB (2007) Crashworthiness optimization of crash box in automotive structure. In: 6th International Conference on Fracture and Damage Mechanics (FDM07), Maderia, 17-19 July 2007.
- Ghasemnejad H Explicit finite element methods in modelling of crushing process of FRP composite absorbers. In: 7th International Conference on Finite Differences, Finite Elements, Finite Volumes and Boundary Elements, Gdansk, 15 May - 17 April 2015.
- Ghasemnejad H & and Mirzaii H A robust finite element technique to model interlaminar damage in composite wind turbine blade materials. In: World Renewable Energy Congress XIII and Exhibition, London, 3-8 August 2014.
- Razmkhah O and Ghasemnejad H Impact damage response of osteoporosis hip bone. In: 4th European Conference of Mechanical Engineering (ECME' 13), Paris, 29-31 October 2013.
- Ghasemnejad H To improve crashworthy behaviour of FRP composite structures using natural flax yarn. In: Composites Engineering Conference 2012, Birmingham, 6-7 November 2012.
- Ghasemnejad H and Weager B Damage resistance of natural z-pinned composite lap-joints under impact loading. In: Ecocomp 2011: 4th International Conference on Sustainable Materials, Polymers and Composites, Birmingham, 6-7 July 2011.
- Pereira JM, Ghasemnejad H, Wen J, Lourenco P & Tam VHY Blast resistance of cracked steel structures repaired with CFRP composite patch. In: 8th National Conference on Seismology and Earthquake Engineering, Aveiro, 20-23 October 2010.
- Ghasemnejad H, Barrington PE & Roshan G Advanced crash absorbers stitched by natural fibres to improve effective crack growth resistance. In: International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM19), Montreal, 28 July - 2 August 2013.
- Ghasemnejad H & Aboutorabi A (2014) The response of natural fibre composites to impact damage: A case study. In: Natural Fibre Composites: Materials, Processes and Applications, Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing, p. 345-364.
- Ghasemnejad H & Aboutorabi A (2013) The response of natural fibre composites to impact damage: a case study. Chapter 13.. In: Natural Fibre Composites: Materials, Processes and Applications, Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing, p. 345-364.
- Ghasemnejad H, Thomas V & Hadavinia H (2011) Mixed-mode delamination failure of z-pinned hybrid laminated composites. Zurich: Trans-Tech.
- Nasr Esfahani M, Ghasemnejad H & Barrington P (2010) Experimental and numerical buckling analysis of delaminated hybrid composite beam structures. Zurich: Trans Tech Publications.