Areas of expertise
BackgroundBA (Cantab) in Physics and Theoretical Physics, MSc (Reading University) in Applied Optics, PhD (Cranfield University) developing optical fibre filter and de-multiplexer components.
Previous experience includes a period as scientific officer in the Optical BioPhysics group at the Food Research Institute, Norwich, investigating the gelation properties of food polymers using optical techniques.
Following a PhD at Cranfield University from 1990-1994, Helen worked on projects including:
- Optical speckle techniques for vibration and shape measurement.
- Development of optical Doppler-based systems for flow velocity measurement.
- Low-coherence imaging techniques for shape measurement.
Current activitiesResearch (on projects funded by the EPSRC, Royal Society and Technology Strategy Board), and PhD teaching, in several areas related to Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT), including:
- Development of passive endoscopic OCT probes with no probe-tip scanning.
- OCT for flow velocity measurement in milli- and micro-fluidic systems.
- Low-coherence methods for remote refractive index measurement.
- Procter and Gamble
- Casella Cel (optical air-quality monitoring equipment).
Articles In Journals
- Ford HD & Tatam RP (2017) Passively-coupled, low-coherence interferometric duct profiling with an astigmatism-corrected conical mirror, Optics Express, 25 (8) 8896-8915.
- Magwaza LS, Ford HD, Cronje PJR, Opara Umezuruike LO, Landahl S, Tatam RP & Terry LA (2013) Application of optical coherence tomography to non-destructively characterise rind breakdown disorder of 'Nules Clementine' mandarins, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 84 16-21.
- Ford H, Cronje P, Opara U, Landahl S, Tatam R, Terry L, Landahl S, Ford H, Magwaza L & Opara U (2013) Application of optical coherence tomography to non-destructively characterise rind breakdown disorder of ‘Nules Clementine’ mandarins, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 84 16-21.
- Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2007) Planar Doppler velocimetry using a Mach-Zehnder interferometric filter, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 85 (1) 012011-1-012011-8.
- Lu Z-H, Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2007) Mach-Zehnder interferometric filter based planar Doppler velocimetry (MZI-PDV), Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 9 (11) 1002-1013.
- Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2006) Single camera 3D planar Doppler velocity measurements using imaging fibre bundles, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 45 193-200.
- Casaubieilh P, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2004) Optical fibre coherence tomography based on Fizeau interferometer configurations, Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging, 5486 112-122.
- Charrett TO, Ford HD, Nobes D & Tatam RP (2004) Two-frequency planar doppler velocimetry (2v-PDV), Review of Scientific Instruments, 75 (11) 4487-4496.
- Ford HD, Tatam RP, Landahl S & Terry LA (2012) Investigation of Disease in Stored Onions Using Optical Coherence Tomography. In: 4th International Conference Postharvest Unlimited 2011, Leavenworth, Washington, 22-26 May 2011.
- Lu ZH, Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2008) 3D planar velocity measurements, using Mach-Zehnder interferometric-filter-based planar Doppler velocimetry (MZI-PDV) and imaging fibre bundles. In: 19th International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors (OFS-19), Perth, 15-18 April 2008.
- Charrett TO, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2006) Single camera 3D planar Doppler velocity measurements, using two frequency planar Doppler velocimetry (2v-PDV) and imaging fibre bundles. In: 44th AIAA aerospace sciences meeting and exhibit (MASM06), Reno, NV, 9-12 January 2006.
- Charrett TO, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2005) Single camera 3D planar velocity measurements using imaging fibre bundles and two frequency planar Doppler velocimetry (2nu-PDV). In: 17th international conference on optical fiber sensors, Bruges, 23-27 May 2005.
- Ford HD, Nobes D & Tatam RP (2003) Acosto-optic frequency switching with fibre-optic beam delivery for single-camera planar doppler velocimetry. In: 16th international conference on optical fibre sensors (OFS-16), Nara, 14-17 October 2003.
- Charrett TOH, Ford HD, Nobes DS & Tatam RP (2003) Dual Illumination Planar Doppler Velocimetry using a Single Camera.