Contact Dr Heather Smith
Areas of expertise
- Environmental Policy
- Water Science and Engineering
Heather holds a BSc in Environmental and Conservation Science from the University of Alberta (Canada). After completing her degree, she worked as a researcher for a Canadian NGO, where she was involved in a multi-stakeholder process for developing and implementing watershed (catchment) planning in Ontario.
She then obtained her MSc in Water Science, Policy and Management from the University of Oxford, for which she studied how a growing understanding of glacial lake outburst floods (GLOFs) could help remote mountain communities in Nepal reduce their vulnerability to these catastrophic events.
Heather completed her PhD at the University of Aberdeen, where her research focused on the Scottish land use planning system, and on developing recommendations to improve its emerging relationship with river basin management planning, as required under the European Water Framework Directive. She joined Cranfield University in August 2011.
My research explores the governance, institutions and societal dimensions of the water and wastewater services sector. I am particularly interested in the relationship between governance and resilience. Recent projects have examined the emergence of new technologies and approaches in the sector, such as water recycling and resource recovery, and how these fit with existing governance frameworks and the perceptions of end users. My research adopts an interdisciplinary perspective, particularly at the boundary between social science and engineering.
- FP7, Horizon 2020
- Thames Water
- Scottish Water
- Yorkshire Water
Articles In Journals
- Tian K, Goodwin D, Gallagher E & Smith HM (2023) An exploration of customers’ satisfaction with water and wastewater services in the UK, Water Economics and Policy, 9 (2) Article No. 2350001. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.22147367.v1
- Steadman S, Smith HM, Jeffrey P & Wheat P (2023) Exploring public perceptions and support for green infrastructure funding mechanisms: a study of the Oxford–Cambridge Arc, England, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Available online 31 March 2023. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19890478
- Giffoni E, Jude S, Smith H & Pollard SJT (2022) Real-life resilience: exploring the organisational environment of international water utilities, Utilities Policy, 79 (December) Article No. 101394. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.14555271
- Nansubuga J, Smith H & Jeffrey P (2022) A de jure study of social accountability for water and sanitation services in Uganda, Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 12 (6) 463-474.
- Goulas A, Goodwin D, Shannon C, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2022) Public perceptions of household IoT smart water ‘event’ meters in the UK – implications for urban water governance, Frontiers in Sustainable Cities, 4 Article No. 758078. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12727646.v1
- Sayles R, Smith HM & Jeffrey P (2021) Customer priorities for water and wastewater services: a comparative evaluation of three elicitation methods, Water and Environment Journal, 35 (1) 55-66.
- Giffoni E, Jude S, Smith H & Pollard SJT (2020) Real-life enterprise resilience, Advances in Water Research, 30 (3).
- Giffoni E, Jude S, Smith H & Pollard S (2020) Real-life enterprise resilience, Advances in Water Research, 30 (3).
- Goodwin D, Raffin M, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2019) Collaboration on risk management: the governance of a non-potable water reuse scheme in London, Journal of Hydrology, 573 (June) 1087-1095.
- Goodwin D, Raffin M, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2019) Stakeholder evaluations of risk interventions for non-potable recycled water schemes: a case study, Science of the Total Environment, 674 (July) 439-450. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7982558
- Taylor C, Gallagher E, Pollard S, Rocks S, Smith H, Leinster P & Angus A (2019) Environmental regulation in transition: Policy officials’ views of regulatory instruments and their mapping to environmental risks, Science of the Total Environment, 646 (January) 811-820. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6834455
- van Dorssen A, Smith H & Frijns J (2019) Assessing the governance arrangement for subsurface rainwater storage, Water Governance.
- Zawadzka J, Gallagher E, Smith H & Corstanje R (2019) Ecosystem services from combined natural and engineered water and wastewater treatment systems: going beyond water quality enhancement, Ecological Engineering: X, 2 (August) Article No. 100006. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7994120.v1
- Goodwin D, Raffin M, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2018) Evaluating media framing and public reactions in the context of a water reuse proposal, International Journal of Water Resources Development, 34 (6) 848-868.
- Smith HM, Brouwer S, Jeffrey P & Frijns J (2018) Public responses to water reuse - understanding the evidence, Journal of Environmental Management, 207 (February) 43-50.
- Goodwin D, Raffin M, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2018) Informing public attitudes to non-potable water reuse – The impact of message framing, Water Research, 145 (November) 125-135.
- Badruzzaman M, Hess T, Smith HM, Upson S & Jacangelo JG (2017) Value propositions of the water footprint concept for sustainable water utilities, Journal -- American Water Works Association, 109 (9) E393-E408.
- Jefferson B, Jarvis P, Bhagianathan G, Smith H, Autin O, Goslan H, McAdam J & Carra I (2016) Effect of elevated UV dose and alkalinity on metaldehyde removal and THM formation with UV/TiO2 and UV/H2O2, Chemical Engineering Journal, 288 (March) 359-367.
- Russell-Verma S, Smith HM & Jeffrey P (2016) Public views on drought mitigation: Evidence from the comments sections of on-line news sources, Urban Water Journal, 13 (5) 454-462.
- Frijns J, Smith HM, Brouwer S, Garnett K, Elelman R & Jeffrey P (2016) How governance regimes shape the implementation of water reuse schemes, Water (Switzerland), 8 (12) Article No. 605.
- Xerri F, Jeffery P & Smith HM (2016) Unpacking organizational capacity in the context of the Water Framework Directive, International Journal of River Basin Management, 14 (3) 327-317.
- Goodwin D, Raffin M, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2015) Applying the water safety plan to water reuse: towards a conceptual risk management framework, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 1 (5) 709-722.
- Smith HM, Rutter P & Jeffrey P (2015) Public perceptions of recycled water: a survey of visitors to the London 2012 Olympic Park, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 5 (2) 189-195.
- Smith HM, Blackstock KL, Wall G & Jeffrey P (2014) River basin management, development planning, and opportunities for debate around limits to growth, Journal of Hydrology, 519, Pt.C (November) 2624-2631.
- Birkholz S, Muro M, Jeffrey P & Smith HM (2014) Rethinking the relationship between flood risk perception and flood management, Science of the Total Environment, 478 (April) 12-20.
- Smith HM, Wall G & Blackstock KL (2013) The role of map-based environmental information in supporting integration between river basin planning and spatial planning
, Environmental Science and Policy, 30 81-89.
- Smith HM & Walker G (2020) The political economy of wastewater in Europe. In: Water Science, Policy and Management: A Global Challenge, Wiley, p. 215-232.