Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aerospace Structures
- Aircraft Design
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Hao Cui is currently a lecturer in aircraft structural design at the School of Aerospace Transport and Manufacturing, Cranfield University. He worked at the University of Oxford as a post-doctoral research associate between 2014-2017. Hao Cui earned a BSc in Aircraft Design Engineering from Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU) in June 2008. After that, he became a PhD student in solid mechanics at NPU. From October 2009, he continued his PhD studies in the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, Delft University of Technology, and was granted his PhD in January 2014.
He has extensive research experience on the damage and failure of composite structures. His research was mainly funded by aerospace manufacturers such as Rolls-Royce. Some recent projects he has worked on include:
- Dynamic bridging mechanisms of Z-pinned composites, funded by EPSRC, 2015-2018.
- Dynamic damage modelling of composite materials, funded
by Rolls-Royce, 2014-2016.
He is currently a member of the International Society of
Impact Engineering, a member of the International Committee on Composite
Materials, and a member of the European Structural Integrity Society.
Dr Hao Cui has extensive experience in the design and analysis of composite structures for aerospace applications, with consideration of the structural integrity in extreme loading conditions. He has expertise in the numerical modelling and experimental characterisation for materials and structures at different length scale, and is experienced in developing novel modelling strategies and testing tools for different material construction and behaviour. His research interests include:
- Continuum damage mechanics
- Nonlinear deformation and damage of adhesive bonding
- Fatigue damage of materials and structures
- Novel manufacturing technology for aerospace structures
- Micro aero-vehicles and VTOL aircraft
- High efficiency computation for coupled fluid-solid analysis.
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Articles In Journals
- Cui H, Yasaee M & Melro AR (2019) Dynamic inter-fibre failure of unidirectional composite laminates with through-thickness reinforcement, Composites Science and Technology, 176 (May) 64-71. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7955918
- Thomson D, Cui H, Erice B & Petrinic N (2019) A study on the longitudinal compression strength of fibre reinforced composites under uniaxial and off-axis loads using cross-ply laminate specimens, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 121 (June) 213-222.
- Lissner M, Alabort E, Cui H, Rito R, Blackman BRK & Petrinic N (2019) Experimental characterisation and numerical modelling of the influence of bondline thickness, loading rate, and deformation mode on the response of ductile adhesive interfaces, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 130 (September) 349-369.
- Cui H, Thomson D, Eskandri S & Petrinic N (2019) A critical study on impact damage simulation of IM7/8552 composite laminate plate, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 127 (May) 100-109.
- Cui H, Mahadik Y, Hallett SR, Partridge IK, Allegri G, Ponnusami SA & Petrinic N (2019) Coupon scale Z-pinned IM7/8552 delamination tests under dynamic loading, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 125 (October) Article No. 105565. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9118997
- Yao L, Cui H, Sun Y, Guo L, Chen X, Zhao M & Alderliesten RC (2018) Fibre-bridged fatigue delamination in multidirectional composite laminates, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 115 (December) 175-186.
- Cui H, Yasaee M & Melro A (2018) Inter-fibre failure of through-thickness reinforced laminates in combined transverse compression and shear load, Composites Science and Technology, 165 (September) 48-57. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6548774
- Cui H, Yasaee M, Hallett SR, Partridge IK, Allegri G & Petrinic N (2018) Dynamic bridging mechanisms of through-thickness reinforced composite laminates in mixed mode delamination, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 106 (March) 24-33.
- Hoffmann J, Cui H & Petrinic N (2018) Determination of the strain-energy release rate of a composite laminate under high-rate tensile deformation in fibre direction, Composites Science and Technology, 164 (August) 110-119.
- Yao L, Cui H, Alderliesten RC, Sun Y & Guo L (2018) Thickness effects on fibre-bridged fatigue delamination growth in composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 110 (July) 21-28.
- Thomson DM, Erice B, Cui H, Hoffmann J, Wiegand J & Petrinic N (2018) A Puck-based localisation plane theory for rate-and pressure-dependent constitutive modelling of unidirectional fibre-reinforced polymers, Composite Structures, 184 (January 2018) 299-305.
- Lißner M, Alabort E, Cui H, Pellegrino A & Petrinic N (2018) On the rate dependent behaviour of epoxy adhesive joints: experimental characterisation and modelling of mode I failure, Composite Structures, 189 (April) 286-303.
- Lissner M, Alabort E, Erice B, Cui H & Petrinic N (2018) A rate dependent experimental and numerical analysis of adhesive joints under different loading directions, European Physical Journal - Special Topics, 227 (1-2) 85-97.
- Thomson DM, Cui H, Erice B, Hoffmann J, Wiegand J & Petrinic N. (2017) Experimental and numerical study of strain-rate effects on the IFF fracture angle using a new efficient implementation of Puck's criterion, Composite Structures, 181 (December 2017) 325-335.
- Cui H, Yasaee M, Kalwak G, Pellegrino A, Partridge IK, Hallett SR, Allegri G & Petrinic N (2017) Bridging mechanisms of through-thickness reinforcement in dynamic mode I&II delamination, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 99 (August) 198-207.
- Cui H, Thomson D, Pellegrino A, Wiegand J & Petrinic N (2016) Effect of strain rate and fibre rotation on the in-plane shear response of ±45° laminates in tension and compression tests, Composites Science and Technology, 135 (October) 106-115.
- Cui H (2016) Simulation of ductile adhesive failure with experimentally determined cohesive law, Composites Part B: Engineering, 92 193-201.
- Cui H, Li Y, Koussios S & Beukers A (2015) Mixed mode cohesive law for Z-pinned composite analyses, Computational Materials Science, 75 60-68.
- Liu J-G, Li Y-L, Suo T & Cui H (2014) Numerical simulation of high velocity impact of composite T-joint by hailstone, Baozha Yu Chongji, 34 (4) 451-456.
- Cui H, Koussios S, Li Y & Beukers A (2014) Constitutive law of adhesive layer measured with mixed mode bending test, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 127 235-251.
- Cui H, Koussios S, Li Y & Beukers A (2012) Measurement of adhesive shear properties by short beam shear test based on higher order beam theory, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 40 19-30.
- Cui H (2012) Failure of composite T-joints in bending with through-the-thickness reinforcement: stitching vs z-pinning, Key Engineering Materials, 525-526 233-236.
- Zhu L, Cui H, Li Y & Sun W (2012) Numerical simulation of the failure of composite T-joints with defects, Hangkong Xuebao, 33 (2) 287-296.
- Cui H (2011) Bridging micromechanisms of Z-pin in mixed mode delamination, Composite Structures, 93 (11) 2685-2695.
- Cui H, Li Y, Guo J & Xu Q (2010) Numerical simulation of composites joints failure based on cohesive zone model, Fuhe Cailiao Xuebao/Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, 27 (2) 161-168.
- Ponnusami SA, Cui H, Erice B, Pathan MV & Petrinic NA (2018) A wedge-DCB test methodology to characterise high rate mode-I interlaminar fracture properties of fibre composites. In: DYMAT 2018 - 12th International Conference on the Mechanical and Physical Behaviour of Materials under Dynamic Loading, Arcachon, 9-14 September 2018.
- Cui H, Koussios S, Li Y-L & Beukers A (2012) A mixed mode cohesive law for Z-pinned composite delamination. In: 12th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, 2014 (CST2014), Naples, 2-5 September 2014.
- Cui H, Li Y, Koussios S & Beukers A (2010) Parametric evaluation on the curved part of composite T-joints based on numerical simulation. In: 27th congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS 2010), Nice, 19-24 September 2010.