Contact Dr Hamed Yazdani Nezhad
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Aerospace Materials
- Renewable Energy
- Smart Materials
- Structures and Materials
Hamed received his PhD in mechanical engineering on a collaborative project between the University of Limerick, Imperial College London and Helmholtz-Zentrüm Berlin, titled "Effect of prior deformation on creep behaviour of AISI 316H austenitic stainless steels" funded by Science Foundation Ireland and EDF (formerly British Energy Ltd.).
He worked at the Irish Centre for Composites Research as lecturer in Finite Element Analysis and Aircraft Structures, and as a post-doctoral researcher on three consecutive industrial-oriented projects on composites materials, MAAXIMUS project funded through EU FP7 grant agreement nº213371 led by Airbus (www.maaximus.eu), Design of Optimised Composites for Impact Applications (OPTCOM) project funded by Enterprise Ireland (grant CF/2013/3012B), and the Science Foundation Ireland funded FALCOM project (www.falcom.ie) on a novel adhesively bonded joining technology.
Hamed is a lecturer (assistant professor) in Composite Engineering at the Enhanced Composites and Structures Centre at Cranfield University. He leads the Multifunctional Composites Joining, Modelling and Repair laboratory and research group (www.cranfield.ac.uk/multicomp).
Hamed has recently secured an EPSRC Joint Manufacturing Hubs grant on Contact-less Dielectric Process Monitoring (CDPM) of Composites Manufacturing (EPSRC Composites Manufacturing and EPSRC Metrology Hubs).
He is the principal investigator of the EPSRC First Grant project on 'Self-Tuning Fibre-Reinforced Polymer Adaptive Nanocomposite (STRAINcomp)', Ref. EP/R016828/1, EPSRC DTP grant for 'Microstructural Study of Multifunctional Nanocomposites', Ref. EP/R513027/1, and the former EPSRC Institutional Sponsorship Award for 'Dielectric Activated Resin Cure for Composite Repair (DARCRep)', Ref. EP/P511134/1.
He is the module leader for the postgraduate module on Finite Element Analysis, and the course leader for Composites Integration Repair and Joining (www.cranfield.ac.uk/CIRJ). Hamed is also the MSc Module Leader for Composites Joining, Repair and Serviceability.
His research experiences are:
- Experimental and computational mechanics of fibre-reinforced composites
- Material characterisation of steels and composites
- Plasticity and residual stress engineering
- Impact damage response of composite structures
- Adhesively bonded and bolted composite joints
- Multifunctional composites
- Energy materials
- Microwave composites curing
- In-situ structural measurement
- Creep fracture mechanics
His research interests are:
- Intelligent sustainable composite transport structures
- Non-destructive testing
- Polymer composite repair
- Creep fracture and fatigue in metals and composites
- Processing of high toughness composites
- Finite element damage modelling
- Structural health and in-situ monitoring
- European Regional Development Fund
- Airbus UK
- Munro Technology Ltd.
- Safran Seats (formerly Zodiac Aerospace)
- Cambridge Nanosystems
- IMRA Europe S.A.S.
- E-Xtream Engineering
- Oxford Advanced Surfaces
- Through-life Engineering Services Centre
- Cambond Ltd.
- Cametics Ltd
Selected publications are listed below. For full list of publications please visit:
OR through my ORCID ID: 0000-0003-0832-3579
Articles In Journals
- Hernandez TPA, Mills AR & Yazdani Nezhad H (2021) Shear driven deformation and damage mechanisms in high-performance carbon fibre-reinforced thermoplastic and toughened thermoset composites subjected to high strain loading, Composite Structures, 261 (April) Article No. 113289. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12302153
- Deane S, Avdelidis NP, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Zhang H, Yazdani Nezhad H, Williamson AA, Mackley T, Maldague X, Tsourdos A & Nooralishahi P (2020) Comparison of cooled and uncooled IR sensors by means of signal-to-noise ratio for NDT diagnostics of aerospace grade composites, Sensors, 20 (12) Article No. 3381. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12100569
- Daminabo SC, Goel S, Grammatikos SA, Yazdani Nezhad H & Thakur VK (2020) Fused deposition modeling-based additive manufacturing (3D printing): techniques for polymer material systems, Materials Today Chemistry, 16 (June) Article No. 100248.
- Bregar T, An D, Gharavian S, Burda M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Kumar Thakur V, Ayre D, Słoma M, Hardiman M, McCarthy C & Yazdani Nezhad H (2020) Carbon nanotube embedded adhesives for real-time monitoring of adhesion failure in high performance adhesively bonded joints, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 16833. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13006631
- Sharma B, Thakur S, Trache D, Yazdani Nezhad H & Thakur VK (2020) Microwave-assisted rapid synthesis of reduced graphene oxide-based gum tragacanth hydrogel nanocomposite for heavy metal ions adsorption, Nanomaterials, 10 (8) Article No. 1616.
- Sirikham A, Zhao Y, Yazdani Nezhad H, Du W & Roy R (2019) Estimation of damage thickness in fiber-reinforced composites using pulsed thermography, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 15 (1) Article No. TII-18-2286 445-453.
- Deane S, Avdelidis HP, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Zhang H, Yazdani Nezhad H, Williamson AA, Mackley T, Davis MJ, Maldague X & Tsourdos A (2019) Application of NDT thermographic imaging of aerospace structures, Infrared Physics and Technology, 97 (March) 456-466.
- Liu Y, Zhang X, Lemanski S, Yazdani Nezhad H & Ayre D (2019) Experimental and numerical study of process-induced defects and their effect on fatigue debonding in composite joints, International Journal of Fatigue, 125 (August) 47-57.
- An D, Lotfian S, Mesbah D, Ayre D, Yoosefinejad A, Thakur VK & Yazdani Nezhad H (2019) Ultra-thin electrospun nanofibers for development of damage-tolerant composite laminates, Materials Today Chemistry, 14 (December) Article No. 100202. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.10058372
- Yazdani Nezhad H & Thakur VJ (2018) Effect of morphological changes due to increasing carbon nanoparticles content on the quasi-static mechanical response of epoxy resin, Polymers, 10 (10) Article No. 1106.
- Liu Y, Lemanski S, Zhang X, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) A finite element study of fatigue crack propagation in single lap bonded joint with process-induced disbond, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 87 (December) 164-172.
- Mgbemena CO, Li D, Lin MF, Liddel PD, Katnam KB, Kumar VT & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Accelerated microwave curing of fibre-reinforced thermoset polymer composites for structural applications: A review of scientific challenges, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 115 (December) 88-103.
- Yazdani Nezhad H,Stratakis D, Ayre D, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2018) Mechanical performance of composite bonded joints in the presence of localised process-induced zero-thickness defects, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 91-98.
- Lotfian S, Giraudmaillet C, Yoosefinejad A, Thakur VJ & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Electrospun piezoelectric polymer nanofiber layers for enabling in situ measurement in high-performance composite laminates, ACS Omega, 3 (8) 8891-8902.
- Bhanushali R, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2017) Tensile response of adhesively bonded composite-to-composite single-lap joints in the presence of bond deficiency, Procedia CIRP, 59 139-143.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Egan B, Merwick F & McCarthy CT (2017) Bearing damage characteristics of fibre-reinforced countersunk composite bolted joints subjected to quasi-static shear loading, Composite Structures, 166 (April) 184-192.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Zhao Y, Liddel PD, Marchante VR & Roy R (2017) A novel process-linked assembly failure model for adhesively bonded composite structures, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 29-32. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4681009
- Zhou Y, Yazdani Nezhad H, Hou C, Wan X, McCarthy C & McCarthy M (2015) A three dimensional implicit finite element damage model and its application to single-lap multi-bolt composite joints with variable clearance, Composite Structures, 131 (November) 1060-1072.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd N (2015) Creep relaxation in the presence of residual stress, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 138 250-264.
- Zhou Y, Yazdani-Nezhad H, McCarthy M, Wan X & McCarthy C (2014) A study of intra-laminar damage in double-lap, multi-bolt, composite joints with variable clearance using continuum damage mechanics, Composite Structures, 116 441-452.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Merwick F, Frizzell R & McCarthy C (2014) Numerical analysis of low-velocity rigid-body impact response of composite panels, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 20 (1) 27-43.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2012) Study of creep relaxation under combined mechanical and residual stresses, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 93 132-152.
- Deane S, Avdelidis N, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Yazdani Nezhad H, Williamson A, Zhang H, Tzitzilonis V, Maldague X & Tsourdos A (2019) Autonomous systems thermographic NDT of composite structures. In: SPIE Defence + Commercial Sensing 2019, Baltimore, 14-18 April 2019.
- Urbina SR, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Effect of hygrothermal cycles on mechanical performance of composite adhesively bonded joints. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Lotfian S, Kumar VT, Giraudmaillet C, Yoosefinejad A, Brennan F & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Towards the use of electrospun piezoelectric nanofibre layers for enabling in-situ measurement in high performance composite laminates. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Li D, Prevost R, Ayre D, Yoosefinejad A, Lotfian S, Brennan F & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Development of damage tolerant composite laminates using ultra-thin interlaminar electrospun thermoplastic nanofibres. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Hernandez TPA, Mills AR & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Comparative study of strain energy storage mechanisms between carbon fibre-reinforced peek and epoxy composites subjected to static and cyclic loading. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Deane S, Avdelidis NP, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Zhang H, Tsourdos A, Yazdani Nezhad H, Williamson AA, Maldague XPV & Tsourdos A (2018) Autonomous systems imaging of aerospace structures. In: 10th International Symposium on NDT in Aerospace, Dresden, 24-26 October 2018.
- Li D, Lin MF, Thakur VK & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Field-aided structural enhancement of polymer nanocomposites. In: The Fourth Postgraduate Experimental Mechanics (PGEM) Conference, Glasgow, 6-7 December 2018.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Zhao B, Ren H, O'Brien M & McCarthy C (2016) Mechanical degradation of nanoparticle embedded adhesives for Composite to metal joining applications under electromagnetic wave exposure conditions. In: 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Mechcomp2), Porto, 11-14 July 2016.
- Zhao B, Yazdani Nezhad H, Ryan K, O´Reilly E & McCarthy CT (2016) Synthesis of tailored iron oxide nanostructures in alkalescent media and microwave absorption investigations for the development of new re-workable adhesives for joining composites to metals. In: 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Mechcomp2), Porto, 11-14 July 2016.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Lyons J & McCarthy CT (2016) Polymer resin injection and its interconnected woven fabric deformation in resin transfer moulding of woven composite panels with interlocking surfaces: A numerical approach. In: 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Mechcomp2), Porto, 11-14 July 2016.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Auffray A, McCarthy CT & O'Higgins RM (2015) Impact damage response of carbon fibre-reinforced aerospace composite panels. In: 20th International Conference on Composite Materials, 2015 (ICCM20), Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2015.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, O'Dowd NP, Davies CM, Mehmanparast AN & Nikbin KM (2012) Influence of prior deformation on creep crack growth behaviour of 316H austenitic steels. In: ASME 2012 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2012), Toronto, 15 July 2012.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, O'Dowd NP, Davies CM, Nikbin KM & Wimpory RC (2011) Study of creep relaxation behaviour of 316H austenitic steels under mechanically induced residual stress. In: ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2011), Baltimore, 17 July 2011.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2010) The effect of combined residual and mechanical stress on creep relaxation. In: 18th European Conference on Fracture (ECF 18), 2010, Dresden, 30 August - 3 September 2010.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2010) Prediction of transient creep response under combined primary and secondary loading. In: ASME 2010 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2010), Bellevue, WA, 18-22 July 2010.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & Hadidi-Moud S. (2008) Progressive crack propagation in bi-material adhesive bonding. In: 17th European Conference on Fracture (ECF17), Brno, 2 September 2008.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Ayre D, Addepalli P & Zhao Y Performance of aerospace composite bonded joints in the presence of process-induced defects. In: 39th International MATADOR Conference on Advanced Manufacturing, Manchester, 5-7 July 2017.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Thakur VK, Giraudmaillet C, Prevost R & Yoosefinejad A Electrospun piezoelectric thermoplastic nanofibre layers for toughening and in-situ measurement of laminated composites. In: European Conference in Nanofilms 2018 (ECNF2018), Cranfield University, 20-22 March 2018.
- Yiding L, Lemanski S, Zhang X, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H Finite element study on the static and fatigue behaviour of wide single lap bonded joints with semi-circular defect. In: ICCS21: 21st International Conference on Composite Structures, Bologna, 4-7 September 2018.