Contact Dr Hamed Yazdani Nezhad
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Renewable Energy
- Smart Materials
- Structures and Materials
Hamed received his PhD in mechanical engineering on a collaborative project between the University of Limerick, Imperial College London and Helmholtz-Zentrüm Berlin, titled "Effect of prior deformation on creep behaviour of AISI 316H austenitic stainless steels" funded by Science Foundation Ireland and EDF (formerly British Energy Ltd.).
He worked at the Irish Centre for Composites Research as lecturer in Finite Element Analysis and Aircraft Structures, and as a post-doctoral researcher on three consecutive industrial-oriented projects on composites materials, MAAXIMUS project funded through EU FP7 grant agreement nº213371 led by Airbus (www.maaximus.eu), Design of Optimised Composites for Impact Applications (OPTCOM) project funded by Enterprise Ireland (grant CF/2013/3012B), and the Science Foundation Ireland funded FALCOM project (www.falcom.ie) on a novel adhesively bonded joining technology.
Hamed is a lecturer in Composite Engineering at the Enhanced Composites and Structures Centre in School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing at Cranfield University. He is the principal investigator of the EPSRC First Grant project on 'Self-Tuning Fibre-Reinforced Polymer Adaptive Nanocomposite (STRAINcomp)', Ref. EP/R016828/1, and the EPSRC Institutional Sponsorship Award for 'Dielectric Activated Resin Cure for Composite Repair (DARCRep)', Ref. EP/P511134/1.
His research experiences are:
- Experimental and computational mechanics of fibre-reinforced composites
- Material characterisation of steels and composites
- Plasticity and residual stress engineering
- Impact damage response of composite structures
- Adhesively bonded and bolted composite joints
- Nanoparticle modified adhesives
- Microwave curing
- In-situ structural measurement
- Creep fracture mechanics
His research interests are:
- Intelligent sustainable composite transport structures
- Non-destructive testing
- Polymer composite repair
- Creep fracture and fatigue in metals and composites
- Processing of high toughness composites
- Finite element damage modelling
- Structural health and in-situ monitoring
- Airbus UK
- Munro Technology Ltd.
- Cambridge Nanosystems
- Oxford Advanced Surfaces
- Through-life Engineering Services Centre
- Cambond Ltd.
- Cametics Ltd.
Selected publications are listed below. For full list of publications please visit https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=FxKeO8UAAAAJ.
Articles In Journals
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Zhao Y, Liddel PD, Marchante VR & Roy R (2017) A novel process-linked assembly failure model for adhesively bonded composite structures, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 29-32. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4681009
- Bhanushali R, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2017) Tensile response of adhesively bonded composite-to-composite single-lap joints in the presence of bond deficiency, Procedia CIRP, 59 139-143.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Egan B, Merwick F & McCarthy CT (2017) Bearing damage characteristics of fibre-reinforced countersunk composite bolted joints subjected to quasi-static shear loading, Composite Structures, 166 (April) 184-192.
- Zhou Y, Yazdani Nezhad H, Hou C, Wan X, McCarthy C & McCarthy M (2015) A three dimensional implicit finite element damage model and its application to single-lap multi-bolt composite joints with variable clearance, Composite Structures, 131 1060-1072.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd N (2015) Creep relaxation in the presence of residual stress, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 138 250-264.
- Zhou Y, Yazdani-Nezhad H, McCarthy M, Wan X & McCarthy C (2014) A study of intra-laminar damage in double-lap, multi-bolt, composite joints with variable clearance using continuum damage mechanics, Composite Structures, 116 441-452.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Merwick F, Frizzell R & McCarthy C (2014) Numerical analysis of low-velocity rigid-body impact response of composite panels, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 20 (1) 27-43.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2012) Study of creep relaxation under combined mechanical and residual stresses, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 93 132-152.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Lyons J & McCarthy CT (2016) Polymer resin injection and its interconnected woven fabric deformation in resin transfer moulding of woven composite panels with interlocking surfaces: A numerical approach. In: 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Mechcomp2), Porto, 11-14 July 2016.
- Zhao B, Yazdani Nezhad H, Ryan K, O´Reilly E & McCarthy CT (2016) Synthesis of tailored iron oxide nanostructures in alkalescent media and microwave absorption investigations for the development of new re-workable adhesives for joining composites to metals. In: 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Mechcomp2), Porto, 11-14 July 2016.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Zhao B, Ren H, O'Brien M & McCarthy C (2016) Mechanical degradation of nanoparticle embedded adhesives for Composite to metal joining applications under electromagnetic wave exposure conditions. In: 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Mechcomp2), Porto, 11-14 July 2016.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Auffray A, McCarthy CT & O'Higgins RM (2015) Impact damage response of carbon fibre-reinforced aerospace composite panels. In: 20th International Conference on Composite Materials, 2015 (ICCM20), Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2015.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, O'Dowd NP, Davies CM, Mehmanparast AN & Nikbin KM (2012) Influence of prior deformation on creep crack growth behaviour of 316H austenitic steels. In: ASME 2012 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2012), Toronto, 15 July 2012.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, O'Dowd NP, Davies CM, Nikbin KM & Wimpory RC (2011) Study of creep relaxation behaviour of 316H austenitic steels under mechanically induced residual stress. In: ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2011), Baltimore, 17 July 2011.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2010) Prediction of transient creep response under combined primary and secondary loading. In: ASME 2010 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2010), Bellevue, WA, 18-22 July 2010.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2010) The effect of combined residual and mechanical stress on creep relaxation. In: 18th European Conference on Fracture (ECF 18), 2010, Dresden, 30 August 2010.
- Yazdani Nezhad H & Hadidi-Moud S. (2008) Progressive crack propagation in bi-material adhesive bonding. In: 17th European Conference on Fracture (ECF17), Brno, 2 September 2008.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Ayre D, Addepalli P & Zhao Y Performance of aerospace composite bonded joints in the presence of process-induced defects. In: 39th International MATADOR Conference on Advanced Manufacturing, Manchester, 5-7 July 2017.