Contact Dr Haibao Liu
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Structures
- Aircraft Design
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Aerospace Materials
- Structures and Materials
Dr. Haibao Liu is a Lecturer in Aerospace Structures at Centre for Aeronautics, Cranfield University. He obtained his PhD in Aerospace Engineering at Queen’s University Belfast (2018) and then joined Imperial College London as a Research Associate. His research focuses on the design and manufacture of lightweight materials and structures as well as related performance assessments, involving both experimental and computational endeavours. He has published more than 40 peer-reviewed journal papers and received 5 patents. In 2019, he received the Excellent Paper Awards from Lightweight Materials and Manufacture Conference and the Bronze Award of Written Paper Prizes from Royal Aeronautical Society.
Currently, Dr Haibao Liu is the Assistant Editor of International Journal of Lightweight Materials and Manufacture and a full member of Royal Aeronautical Society.
Currently recruiting 1) PhD students, 2) visiting PhD students and 3) visiting academics.
Applicants with research background of Material Science, Mechanical Engineering and Finite Element Analysis are welcome to send inquiry for further discussion.
Fully open to the collaboration on the broad scope of research related to the modelling, manufacturing and performance assessment of composite materials and structures.
1. Damage prediction and failure analysis of composite materials for structural application
2. Stamp forming techniques for the fast manufacture of thermoplastic composite components
3. Experimental and numerical assessment on the performance of repaired composites
1. Engineering Stress Analysis
2. Design and Analysis of Composite Structures
3. Initial Structural Layout of Aircraft Design
News and activities
> Dr Haibao has registered as a full member of Royal Aeronautical Society - 09/08/2022
> Dr Haibao Liu has received a research grant from Royal Society to support his research on damage-resistant laminated glass for transportation vehicles - 21/03/2022
> Mr Minghan Du has started his PhD with a topic of structural health monitoring system for composite airframes under the supervision of Prof Shijun Guo and Dr Haibao Liu - 01/02/2022
> Dr Haibao Liu has received a seed-corn grant from NERC to support his research on the bio-based composites for next generation of infrastructures - 16/12/2021
> Dr Haibao Liu has joined Cranfield University as a Lecturer in Aerospace Structures - 12/07/2021
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) - UKRI
Articles In Journals
- Liu H, Zhou J, Kong X & Li S (2023) Fracture behaviour of fibre-reinforced composite materials subjected to shear loading: an experimental and numerical study, International Journal of Lightweight Materials and Manufacture, 6 (1) 108-116.
- Liu J, Tang X, Li S, Qin X, Li H, Wu W, Srijana Y, Liu W & Liu H (2022) Optimization of multi-tooth milling tool for interlaminar damage suppression in the milling of carbon fiber–reinforced polymers, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 121 (1-2) 1235-1251.
- Li Y, Chen X, Zhou J, Liu X, Zhang D, Du F, He W, Jia P & Liu H (2022) A review of high‐velocity impact on fiber‐reinforced textile composites: potential for aero engine applications, International Journal of Mechanical System Dynamics, 2 (1) 50-64.
- Wang H, Liu H, Ding Z & Li N (2021) Experimental and constitutive modelling studies of semicrystalline thermoplastics under solid-state stamp forming conditions, Polymer, 228 (June) Article No. 123939.
- Liu H, Liu J, Ding Y, Zheng J, Kong X, Zhou J, Harper L, Blackman BR, Kinloch AJ & Dear JP (2020) The behaviour of thermoplastic and thermoset carbon fibre composites subjected to low-velocity and high-velocity impact, Journal of Materials Science, 55 (33) 15741-15768.
- Zhang X, Liu H, Maharaj C, Zheng M, Mohagheghian I, Zhang G, Yan Y & Dear JP (2020) Impact response of laminated glass with varying interlayer materials, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 139 (September 2019) Article No. 103505.
- Liu H, Liu J, Ding Y, Zhou J, Kong X, Harper LT, Blackman BR, Falzon BG & Dear JP (2020) Modelling damage in fibre-reinforced thermoplastic composite laminates subjected to three-point bend loading, Composite Structures, 236 (January) Article No. 111889.
- Liu H, Liu J, Ding Y, Hall ZE, Kong X, Zhou J, Blackman BRK, Kinloch AJ & Dear JP (2020) A three-dimensional elastic-plastic damage model for predicting the impact behaviour of fibre-reinforced polymer-matrix composites, Composites Part B: Engineering, 201.
- Kong X, Zhou H, Zheng C, Liu H, Wu W, Guan Z & Dear JP (2019) An experimental study on the mitigation effects of fine water mist on confined-blast loading and dynamic response of steel plates, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 134 (August) Article No. 103370.
- Liu H, Falzon BG, Li S, Tan W, Liu J, Chai H, Blackman BR & Dear JP (2019) Compressive failure of woven fabric reinforced thermoplastic composites with an open-hole: An experimental and numerical study, Composite Structures, 213 (January) 108-117.
- Liu H, Falzon BG & Dear JP (2019) An experimental and numerical study on the crush behaviour of hybrid unidirectional/woven carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 164 (August) Article No. 105160.
- Liu H, Falzon BG & Tan W (2018) Predicting the Compression-After-Impact (CAI) strength of damage-tolerant hybrid unidirectional/woven carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 105 (February) 189-202.
- Liu H, Falzon BG & Tan W (2018) Experimental and numerical studies on the impact response of damage-tolerant hybrid unidirectional/woven carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates, Composites Part B: Engineering, 136 (March) 101-118.