Contact Dr Hacer Sakar
- Email: Hacer.Sakar@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Hacer graduated from Kocaeli University, Turkey with an BSc Degree in Environmental Engineering (2008). She has completed her MSc (2010) in Environmental Engineering in Istanbul Technical University, Turkey. For her master thesis, Hacer studied the Treatment of Textile Industry Wastewaters with Membrane Processes.
She obtained a PhD in Recovery of Ammonium with Membrane Capacitive Deionization Process (2017). During her PhD she worked as a Research Assistant in a Membrane Research Group in Gebze Technical University, Turkey. Her PhD study was awarded an International Doctoral Research Fellowship to study as a visiting researcher in Cranfield University (2016) where she worked for "Nanomembrane Toilet" project on membrane fouling.
Dr Hacer Sakar has joined Cranfield Water Science Institute as a Research Fellow in July 2021. Her research focuses on the demonstration of ammonia recovery from hollow fiber membrane contactors which is part of the EU H2020 NextGen project (https://nextgenwater.eu/), in collaboration with Severn Trent Water. The project involves pilot-scale studies on anMBR, coupled with a degassing unit and ion exchange columns for energy and nutrients recovery. The IEX Process allows the concentration of nutrients in the regenerant where they can be recovered as valuable products.
Articles In Journals
- Balcik-Canbolat C, Sengezer C, Sakar H, Karagunduz A & Keskinler B (2020) A study on near zero liquid discharge approach for the treatment of reverse osmosis membrane concentrate by electrodialysis, Environmental Technology, 41 (4) 440-449.
- Cigdem BC, Tugba OH, Cisel S, Hacer S, Ahmet K & Bulent K (2020) Evaluation of advanced oxidation processes for the treatment of nanofiltration membrane concentrate considering toxicity and oxidation by-products, Water Science and Technology, 81 (12) 2488-2500.
- Balcik-Canbolat C, Olmez-Hanci T, Sengezer C, Sakar H, Karagunduz A & Keskinler B (2019) A combined treatment approach for dye and sulfate rich textile nanofiltration membrane concentrate, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 32 (December) Article No. 100919.
- Sakar H, Celik I, Balcik-Canbolat C, Keskinler B & Karagunduz A (2019) Ammonium removal and recovery from real digestate wastewater by a modified operational method of membrane capacitive deionization unit, Journal of Cleaner Production, 215 (April) 1415-1423.
- Autin O, Sakar H & McAdam EJ (2018) Fluorescence enabled direct visual observation for diagnosis of ultrafiltration membrane fouling by bidisperse sub-micron particle suspensions, Water and Environment Journal, 32 (4) 519-526.
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Sakar H, Autin O, Mercer E, Collins M, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2018) Impact of fouling, cleaning and faecal contamination on the separation of water from urine using thermally driven membrane separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (9) 1372-1382.
- Balcik-Canbolat C, Sengezer C, Sakar H, Karagunduz A & Keskinler B (2017) Recovery of real dye bath wastewater using integrated membrane process: considering water recovery, membrane fouling and reuse potential of membranes, Environmental Technology, 38 (21) 2668-2676.
- Sakar H, Celik I, Balcik Canbolat C, Keskinler B & Karagunduz A (2017) Electro-sorption of ammonium by a modified membrane capacitive deionization unit, Separation Science and Technology, 52 (16) 2591-2599.
- Balcik‐Canbolat C, Sakar H, Karagunduz A & Keskinler B (2016) Advanced treatment of biologically treated medium density fiberboard (MDF) wastewater with Fenton and Fenton enhanced hydrodynamic cavitation process, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 91 (12) 2935-2941.
- Sakar H, Balcik Canbolat C, Karagunduz A & Keskinler B (2016) Sulfate removal from nanofiltration concentrate of alkaloid wastewater by electrodialysis, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (44) 21003-21014.