Areas of expertise
- Explosives and Munitions
- Sensor Technologies
Dr. Guillaume Kister completed his higher education in mechanical engineering in France before being awarded his PhD in "Ceramic-matrix composites for gas turbine applications" at the University of Bath.
Guillaume Kister is an active researcher in the domains of materials characterisation and optical fibre-based sensors for structural health monitoring. The research focus is primarily on the mechanical, thermal and rheological analysis of energetic and inert materials and fibre-reinforced composites.
Guillaume Kister is currently employed as a Research Fellow in the Centre for Defence Chemistry at Cranfield University Shrivenham and is involved in:
- Materials characterisation using conventional techniques such as DMA, DSC/TGA, FTIR, rheometer, mechanical testing machine
- Stability and compatibility analysis of energetic materials
- Cure monitoring of composites and resin systems using spectroscopy- and refractive index-based optical fibre sensors
Guillaume Kister also lectures to several MSc and short courses on the topics of materials, fibre-reinforced composites, and chemical hardening.
Articles In Journals
- Wilkinson PJ, Weaver MC, Kister G & Gill PP (2022) Styrene-ethylene/butylene-styrene (SEBS) block copolymer binder for solid propellants, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 47 (1) Article No. e202100142.
- Claydon AJ, Patil AN, Gaulter S, Kister G & Gill PP (2022) Determination and optimisation of Resonant Acoustic Mixing (RAM) efficiency in Polymer Bonded eXplosive (PBX) processing, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 173 (March) Article No. 108806.
- Dossi E, Bolton M, Kister G & Afsar A (2021) Cross-linking of γ-cyclodextrin using non-toxic polyethylene glycol spacer units, ChemistrySelect, 6 (30) 7727-7731.
- Kister G, Moniruzzaman M, Khan M & Debnath S (2019) Mechanophore-linked hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene for the remote detection and quantification of mechanical stress, Dyes and Pigments, 162 (March) 309-314.
- Luppi F, Mai N, Kister G, Gill PP, Gaulter SE, Stennett C & Dossi E (2019) Chemical modification of β-cyclodextrins: balancing soft and rigid domains in complex structures, Chemistry - A European journal, 25 (68) 15646-15655.
- Luppi L, Kister G, Carpenter M & Dossi E (2019) Thermomechanical characterisation of cross-linked β-cyclodextrin polyether binders, Polymer Testing, 73 (February) 338-345.
- Moniruzzaman M, Christogianni P & Kister G (2016) Self-healing in epoxy thermoset polymer films triggered by UV light, Procedia Engineering, 148 114-121.
- Christogianni P, Moniruzzaman M & Kister G (2015) Light-triggered enhancement of mechanical properties and healing effect in azobenzene-based polymer films, Polymer, 77 (October) 272-277.
- Kister G & Dossi E (2015) Cure monitoring of CFRP composites by dynamic mechanical analyser, Polymer Testing, 47 (October) 71-78.
- Christogianni P, Moniruzzaman M & Kister G (2015) Enhancement of mechanical properties of photo-responsive polymers, Macromolecular Symposia (Germany), 354 (1 Special Issue: MACRO 2014) 55-61.
- Moniruzzaman M, Christogianni P & Kister G (2014) Reversible Isomerization and Cure Monitoring of Epoxy Azobenzene Resins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131 (18) Article No. 40770.
- Kister G, Wood DC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Leighs JA, Goff M, Barnes NR & Hazell PJ (2014) An overview on the effect of manufacturing on the shock response of polymers, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (19).
- Wakeling BR, Degamber B, Kister G, Lane DW, Bailey MJ & Jeynes C (2012) In situ analysis of cadmium sulphide chemical bath deposition by an optical fibre monitor, Thin Solid Films, 525 1-5.
- Hazell, P. J., Appleby-Thomas, G. J., Kister & G. (2010) Impact, penetration, and perforation of a bonded carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic composite panel by a high-velocity steel sphere: An experimental study, Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 45 (6) 439-450.
- Hazell PJ, Cowie A, Kister G, Stennett C & Cooper GA (2009) Penetration of a woven CFRP laminate by a high velocity steel sphere impacting at velocities of up to 1875 m/s, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 36 (9) 1136-1142.
- Hazell PJ, Kister G, Stennett C, Bourque P & Cooper G (2008) Normal and oblique penetration of woven CFRP laminates by a high velocity steel sphere, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 39 (5) 866-874.
- Kister G, Winter D, Gebremichael YM, Leighton J, Badcock RA, Tester PD, Krisnamurthy S, Grattan K T V & Fernando GF (2007) Methodology and integrity monitoring of foundation concrete piles using Bragg grating optical fibre sensors, Engineering Structures, 29 (9) 2048-2055.
- Kister G, Winter D, Badcock RA, Gebremichael YM, Boyle WJO, Meggitt BT, Grattan KTV & Fernando GF (2007) Structural. health monitoring of a composite bridge using Bragg grating sensors. Part 1: Evaluation of adhesives and protection systems for the optical sensors, Engineering Structures, 29 (3) 440-448.
- Kister G, Winter D, Tetlow J, Barnes RA, Mays GC & Fernando GF (2006) Structural integrity monitoring of reinforced concrete structures. Part 1: Evaluation of protection systems for extrinsic fibre Fabry-Perot sensors, Engineering Structures, 27 (3) 411-419.
- Kister G, Badcock RA, Gebremichael YM, Boyle WJO, Grattan KV, Fernando GF & Cannon L (2006) Monitoring of an all-composite bridge using Bragg grating sensors, Construction and Building Materials, 21 (7) 1599-1604.
- Gebremichael YM, Li W, Boyle WJO, Meggitt BT, Grattan KTV, McKinley B, Fernando GF, Kister G, Winter D, Canning L & Luke S (2005) Integration and assessment of fibre Bragg grating sensors in an all-fibre reinforced polymer composite road bridge, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 118 (1) 78-85.
- Talbot JD, Wang L, Kister G, Ralph B & Fernando GF (2004) Conventional E-Glass Fibre Light Guides: Self-Sensing Composite Based on Cladding, Smart Materials and Structures, 13 (1) 73-81.
- Kister G, Badcock R & Fernando GF (2004) A novel technique to study the fracture of E-Glass fiber reinforced composites, Journal of Materials Science, 39 (4) 1425-1428.
- Kister G, Ralph B & Fernando GF (2004) Damage detection in glass fibre-reinforced plastic composites using self-sensing E-glass fibres, Smart Materials and Structures, 13 (5) 1166-1175.
- Fernando GF, Degamber B, Wang LW, Doyle C, Kister G & Ralph B (2004) Self-sensing fibre reinforced composites, Advanced Composites Letters, 13 (2).
- Kister G, Wang L, Ralph B & Fernando GF (2003) Self-sensing E-glass fibres, Optical Materials, 21 713-727.
- Fernando G, Hameed A, Winter D, Tetlow J, Leng J, Barnes R, Mays G & Kister G (2003) Structural integrity monitoring of concrete structures via optical fiber sensors: sensor protection systems, Structural Health Monitoring, 2 (2) 123-135.
- Kister G & Harris B (2002) Tensile properties of heat-treated Nicalon and Hi-Nicalon fibres, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 33 (3) 435-438.
- Zheng G, Buckley M, Kister G & Fernando G (2001) Blind deconvolution of acoustic emission signals for damage identification in composites, AIAA Journal, 39 (6) 1198-1205.
- Kister G, Ralph B & Fernando GF (2001) A chemical sensor based on conventional reinforcing E-glass fibres, Advanced Engineering Materials, 3 (9) 711-713.
- Kister G, Badcock RA, Gebremichael YM, Leighton J, Boyle WJO & Fernando GF Structural integrity of a foundation pile using optical fibre-based sensors. In: RUFUS Conference, London.