Contact Dr Gloria Salmoral
Areas of expertise
- Environmental Policy
- Sustainable Land Systems
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Gloria Salmoral is engaged in working on integrated water and land resource assessments under changing climatic, policy and societal conditions. Her research also embraces a more holistic approach with the consideration of the energy dimension, following water-energy-food (WEF) nexus evaluations.
She has worked internationally on research projects from Ecuador (2035 Ecuador’s sustainability’ scenarios), USA (SWAN – Sustainable Water Action: Building research links between USA and EU), UK (WEFWEBs: mapping the water-energy-food nexus in UK) and Spain (Water and Food Security in Latin America and Spain and Extension for the Analysis of the Water Footprint and Virtual Water Trade in Spain) in relation to integrated land and water management and WEF nexus studies.
Gloria is currently working in both climatic extreme events droughts and floods. She is researching on agricultural drought risk management within the two NERC grants: Managing the Risks, Impacts and Uncertainties of droughts and water Scarcity – MaRIUS - and Analysis of historic drought and water scarcity in the UK: a system based study of drivers, impacts and their interactions - HistoricDroughts -, as well as on on the institutional and organisational arrangements for the use of drones in flood emergency response (EPSCR grant Emergency flood planning and management using unmanned aerial systems). Her experience in nexus research is continuing with her work in agricultural development challenges in Peru and Ecuador within the project NEXT-AG (NEXus Thinking for sustainable AGricultural development in Andean countries).
Gloria is an internationally recognise expert in water management and water footprint research acting as a member of the Technical Advisory Group in Water Footprinting at FAO. She also works as an external evaluator for the European Commission within the European Water Joint Programming Initiatives “Water Challenges for a Changing World”. She has published applying integration of several research areas - from environmental policy to agricultural, hydrological and environmental studies. She plans to keep building networks with institutions, agencies and researchers who aim to tackle from local to global environmental challenges, with a particular interest in strengthening her future environmental studies by policy and social constraints. A key to further develop her career scope is a successful transfer of her research into innovative policy design and desirable technological and managerial applications.
Articles In Journals
- Salmoral G, Rivas Casado M, Muthusamy M, Butler D, Menon PP & Leinster P (2020) Guidelines for the use of unmanned aerial systems in flood emergency response, Water (Switzerland), 12 (2) Article No. 521.
- Salmoral G, Schaap NC, Walschebauer J & Alhajaj A (2019) Water diplomacy and nexus governance in a transboundary context: In the search for complementarities, Science of the Total Environment, 690 (November) 85-96.
- Salmoral G, Rey D, Rudd A, de Margon P & Holman I (2019) A probabilistic risk assessment of the national economic impacts of regulatory drought management on irrigated agriculture, Earth's Future, 7 (2) 178-196. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7613192
- Muthusamy M, Rivas Casado M, Salmoral G, Irvine T & Leinster P (2019) A remote sensing based integrated approach to quantify the impact of fluvial and pluvial flooding in an urban catchment, Remote Sensing, 11 (5) Article No. 577.
- Salmoral G, Khatun K, Llive F & Madrid Lopez C (2018) Agricultural development in Ecuador: A compromise between water and food security?, Journal of Cleaner Production, 202 (November) 779-791.
- Salmoral G & Yan X (2018) Food-energy-water nexus: A life cycle analysis on virtual water and embodied energy in food consumption in the Tamar catchment, UK, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 133 320-330.
- Izurieta A, Delgado B, Moity N, Calvopiña M, Cedeño I, Banda-Cruz G, Cruz E, Aguas M, Arroba F, Astudillo I, Bazurto D, Soria M, Banks S, Bayas S, Belli S, Bermúdez R, Boelling N, Bolaños J, Borbor M, Lorena Brito M, Bucheli L, Campbell K, Carranza D, Carrión J, Casafont M, Castro X, Chamorro S, Chávez J, Chicaiza D, Chumbi R, Couenberg P, Cousseau D, Cruz M, d’Ozouville N, de la Guía C, de la Torre G, Molina Díaz C, Duchicela J, Endara D, García V, Gellibert C, Gibbs J, Guzmán JC, Heylings P, Iglesias A, Izurieta JC, Jaramillo P, Klingman A, Laurie A, León P, Medina J, Mendieta E, Merlen G, Montalvo C, Naula E, Páez-Rosas D, Peralta M, Peralvo M, Piu M, Poma J, Pontó J, Pozo M, Proaño D, Ramos M, Rousseaud A, Rueda D, Salinas P, Salmoral G, Saraguro S, Simón-Baile D, Tapia W, Teran B, Valverde M, Vargas A, Vega J, Velásquez W, Vélez A, Verdesoto S, Villarraga HG, Vissioli F, Viteri-Mejía C, Norris-Crespo L, Cooke SC, Toral-Granda MV & and Sutherland WJ (2018) A collaboratively derived environmental research agenda for Galápagos, Pacific Conservation Biology, 24 (2) 168-177.
- McGrane SJ, Acuto M, Artioli F, Chen, P, Comber R, Cottee J, Farr-Wharton G, Green N, Helfgott A, Larcom S, McCann JA, O’Reilly P, Salmoral G, Scott M, Todman LC, van Gevelt T & Yan X (2018) Scaling the nexus: Towards integrated frameworks for analysing water, energy and food, Geographical Journal, Early online (4).
- Salmoral G, Willaarts BA, Garrido A & Guse B (2017) Fostering integrated land and water management approaches: Evaluating the water footprint of a Mediterranean basin under different agricultural land use scenarios, Land Use Policy, 61 (February) 24-39.
- Salmoral G, Willaarts BA, Troch PA & Garrido A (2015) Drivers influencing streamflow changes in the Upper Tuna basin, Spain, Science of the Total Environment, 503 (January) 258-268.
- Salmoral G & Garrido A (2015) The Common Agricultural Policy as a driver of water quality changes: the case of the Guadalquivir River Basin (southern Spain), Bio-based and Applied Economics, 4 (2) 103-123.
- Dumont A, Salmoral G & Ramon Llamas M (2013) The water footprint of a river basin with a special focus on groundwater: The case of Guadalquivir basin (Spain), Water Resources and Industry, 1-2 (March-June) 60-76.
- Salmoral G, Aldaya MM, Chico D, Garrido A & Llamas R (2011) The water footprint of olives and olive oil in Spain, Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, 9 (4) 1089-1104.
- Vasily Bunakov, Simon Lambert, Xiaoyu Yan, Gloria Salmoral, Marian Scott & Scott McGrane Modelling Water-Energy-Food nexus by a network of Agents. In: 31st EnviroInfo conference (EnviroInfo 2017), Luxembourg, 13-15 September 2017.
- Khatun K & Salmoral G (2017) Appreciating wider environmental angles. In: Handbook of the Resource Nexus, London: Routledge.
- Serrat-Capdevila A, Cabello V, Boyanova K, Poupeau F, Hernandez-Mora N, Gupta H, Yang Z, Limones N, O'Neill BF, Segura S, Benites E, Yaneva R, Coeurdray M, Cortinas J, Kuhn K, Harris S, Sans-Fuentes M, Curley EF, del Moral L, Valdes JB, Schneier-Madanes G, King O, Rodrigues DBB & Salmoral G (2016) Next Steps: Collaborative research and training towards transdisciplinarity. In: Water Bankruptcy in the Land of Plenty, CRC Press.
- Serrat-Capdevila A, Cabello V, Boyanova K, Poupeau F, Hernandez-Mora N, Gupta H, Yang Z, Limones N, O'Neill BF, Segura S, Benites E, Yaneva R, Coeurdray M, Cortinas J, Kuhn K, Harris S, Sans-Fuentes M, Curley EF, del Moral L, Valdes JB, Schneier-Madanes G, King O, Rodrigues DBB & Salmoral G (2016) Bringing all the stories together: Beyond the Tucson case study. In: Water Bankruptcy in the Land of Plenty, CRC Press.
- Willaarts B, Salmoral G, Farinaci JS & Sanz-Sánchez MJ (2014) Trends in land use and ecosystem services in Latin America : Chapter 3. In: Water for Food and Human Well-being in Latin America and the Caribbean: Social and Environmental Implications for a Globalized Economy, London: Routledge: earthscan, p. 55-80.
- Salmoral G & Chico D (2013) Lessons learnt from the analyses of the tomato and olive oil water footprint in Spain. In: Water, Agriculture and the Environment in Spain: Can we square the circle?, Taylor & Francis.
- Custodio E, Garrido A, Coleto C & Salmoral G (2013) The challenges of agricultural diffuse pollution. In: Water, Agriculture and the Environment in Spain: Can we square the circle?, Taylor & Francis.