Contact Dr Glenn Leighton
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Precision Engineering
- Sensor Technologies
- Structures and Materials
- Surface Engineering
- Ultraprecision & Nano-engineering
His background is as an electrical/mechanical engineer with experience in various engineering roles, including design engineering and fault diagnosis. He is used to being part of a team as well as taking the organisational responsibility of a team leader. He has a PhD and MSc from Cranfield Univesrity in MEMS and Nanotechnology, a BSc from the University of Hull in Integrated technology (encompassing electrical/mechanical and computer engineering), and a HND from Doncaster College in electronics and advanced computing.
Dr Leighton is currently working as a lecturer in functional surface engineering at Cranfield University in the field of materials science & manufacturing. He is active in teaching, course design and supervising students. The research he is currently undertaking is aimed at the development of new piezo actuator structures for next generation commercial inkjet for an industrial partner. He is also involved in the development of novel Nano-materials, Nano-manufacturing and the characterisation of functional materials.
Articles In Journals
- Hemben A, Chianella I & Leighton GJ (2021) Surface engineered iron oxide nanoparticles generated by inert gas condensation for biomedical applications, Bioengineering, 8 (3) Article No. 38.
- Sánchez JC, Toro A, Estupiñán H, Leighton GJT & Endrino JL (2020) Fabrication of bio-inspired deterministic surfaces by photochemical machining for tribological applications, Tribology International, 150 (October) Article No. 106341.
- Peng B, Zhang M, Tang S, Jiang J, Zhao W, Zou B, Luo N, Zhang Q, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Liu L & Sun W (2019) Frequency dependent electrocaloric effect in Nb-doped PZST relaxor thin film with the coexistence of tetragonal antiferroelectric and rhombohedral ferroelectric phases, Ceramics International, 46 (4) 4300-4306.
- He S, Peng B, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Wang N, Sun W, Liu L & Zhang Q (2019) High-performance La-doped BCZT thin film capacitors on LaNiO3/Pt composite bottom electrodes with ultra-high efficiency and high thermal stability, Ceramics International, 45 (9) 11749-11755.
- Peng B, Zhang Q, Gang B, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Milne SJ, Zou B, Sun W, Huang H & Wang Z (2019) Phase-transition induced giant negative electrocaloric effect in a lead-free relaxor ferroelectric thin film, Energy and Environmental Science, 12 (5) 1708-1717.
- Xu M, Peng B, Zhu J, Liu L, Sun W, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Luo N & Zhang Q (2019) Enhanced energy storage performance of (1-x)(BCT-BMT)-xBFO lead-free relaxor ferroelectric ceramics in a broad temperature range, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 789 (June) 303-312. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2019.02.314
- Leighton GJT, Jones PM, Lonne Q, Dorey RA & Giuliano F (2018) Innovative method to produce large-area freestanding functional ceramic foils, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 38 (10) 3483-3488.
- Jones PM, Lonne Q, Talaia P, Leighton GJT, Botte GG, Mutnuri S & Williams L (2018) A straightforward route to sensor selection for IoT systems, Research-Technology Management, 61 (5) 41-50.
- Arrufat AV, Budziszewska M, Lopez C, Nguyen A, Sitek J, Jones P, Shaw C, Hayes I, Cairns G & Leighton G (2017) REACH compliant epoxides used in the synthesis of Fe (III)-based aerogel monoliths for target fabrication, High Power Laser Science and Engineering, 5 Article No. e24.
- Leighton GJT & Huang Z (2010) Accurate measurement of the piezoelectric coefficient of thin films by eliminating the substrate bending effect using spatial scanning laser vibrometry, Smart Materials and Structures, 19 (6).
- Pardo L, Jimenez R, Garcia A, Brebol K, Leighton G & Huang Z (2010) Impedance measurements for determination of elastic and piezoelectric coefficients of films, Advances in Applied Ceramics, 109 (3) 156-161.
- Zhu M & Leighton G (2008) Dimensional reduction study of piezoelectric ceramics constitutive equations from 3-D to 2-D and 1-D, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 55 (11) 2377-2383.
- Pomeroy JW, Gkotsis P, Zhu M, Leighton GJT, Kirby PB & Kuball M (2008) Dynamic operational stress measurement of MEMS using time-resolved Raman spectroscopy, Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 17 (6) 1315-1321.
- Huang Z, Leighton GJT, Wright RV, Duval F, Chung HC, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2007) Determination of piezoelectric coefficients and elastic constant of thin films by laser scanning vibrometry techniques, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 135 (2) 660-665.
- Leighton GJT, Kirby PB & Fox CHJ (2007) In-plane excitation of thin silicon cantilevers using piezoelectric thin films, Applied Physics Letters, 91 (18) 183510-1-183510-3.
- Huang Z, Zhang Q, Corkovic S, Dorey RA, Duval FFC, Leighton G, Wright RV, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2006) Piezoelectric PZT films for MEMS and their characterization by interferometry, Journal of Electroceramics, 17 (2-4) 549-556.
- Huang Z & Leighton G (2014) Interferometry for Piezoelectric Materials and Thin Films. In: Characterisation of Ferroelectric Bulk Materials and Thin Films, London: Springer, p. 87-113, ed. 1.
- Leighton GJT & Dorey RA (2012) Printed Actuators. In: Printed films: Materials Science and applications in sensors, electronics and Photonics.. Prudenziati M, Hormadaly J (ed.), Cambridge, p. 410-428.