Contact Dr Geoffrey Neale
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2023
- Email: G.D.Neale@cranfield.ac.uk
- Google Scholar
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Geoffrey Neale graduated from the University of Bristol with an MEng in Aerospace Engineering. He went on to pursue a PhD in Advanced Composite Materials at the Engineering Composites Research Centre at Ulster University, where he worked as part of the EU Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie ICONIC ITN. The project focused on improving the crashworthiness of composite materials and Geoffrey’s PhD research developed crashworthy, functionally graded 3D woven composites for use in aerospace and automotive structures. He helped to expand the understanding of the behaviour of these materials and refine material design for manufacturability. Before Joining Cranfield University, Geoff held a postdoctoral position at Ulster University working jointly between the School of Engineering and the School of Biomedical Sciences. More recently, Geoff has worked predominantly on the manufacture and characterisation of functional through-thickness reinforced composite materials as part of the EU funded SEER project (A “Smart” Self-monitoring composite tool for aerospace composite manufacturing using Silicon photonic multi-sEnsors Embedded using through-thickness Reinforcement techniques).
Geoff is currently a Lecturer in the Composites and Advanced Materials Centre at Cranfield. His area of focus is multifunctional composite structures with a view to achieving multifunctionality in composites via material hybridisation. He is interested both structural and non-structural analysis of composites and in how novel fabrication methods can be used to achieve this, expanding the use of composites beyond its traditional industries.
- European Commission
- British Academy
Articles In Journals
- Neale G & Skordos A (2022) Insertion of large diameter through-thickness metallic pins in composites, Materials and Design, 216 (April) Article No. 110559. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.17069717
- Ralph C, Dahale M, Neale G, Ramaswamy K, McCarthy M, Yoo S, Toso N, Kelly J, McGarrigle C, Archer E, Harkin-Jones E & McIlhagger A (2021) Influence of binder float length on the out-of-plane and axial impact performance of 3D woven composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 147 (August) Article No. 106459.
- Neale G, Gaihre S, O'Gorman P, Price RK, Galdos Balzategi A, Herrera Barrientos C, Rawal S, Morgan M & McNulty H (2021) Review of recent innovations in portable child growth measurement devices for use in low- and middle-income countries, Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, Available online 26 July 2021.
- Neale G, Dahale M, Yoo S, Toso N, McGarrigle C, Quinn J, Kelly J, McIlhagger A, Archer E & Harkin-Jones E (2020) Improved crush energy absorption in 3D woven composites by pick density modification, Composites Part B: Engineering, 192 (July).
- Dahale M, Neale G, Lupicini R, Cascone L, McGarrigle C, Kelly J, Archer E, Harkin-Jones E & McIlhagger A (2019) Effect of weave parameters on the mechanical properties of 3D woven glass composites, Composite Structures, 223 (September).
- Neale G, Dahale M, Yoo S, Toso N, McGarrigle C, Kelly J, Archer E, McIlhagger A & Harkin-Jones E (2019) Improved energy absorption in 3D woven composites by weave parameter manipulation. In: 2nd CIRP Conference on Composite Material Parts Manufacturing (CIRP-CCMPM 2019), Sheffield, 10-11 October 2019.
- Dahale M, Neale G, McGarrigle C, Kelly J, Archer E, Harkin-Jones E & McIlhagger A (2019) Comparative studies of structure-property relationship between glass/epoxy and carbon/epoxy 3d woven composites. In: SAMPE Europe Conference 2019, Nantes, 17 September 2019 - 19 September 2020.
- Neale G, Dahale M, Yoo S, Toso N, Kelly J, Mc Garrigle C, Archer, E, McIlhagger AT & Harkin-Jones E (2019) Energy absorption mechanisms in layer-to-layer 3D woven composites. In: 22nd International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM22), Melbourne, 11-16 August 2019.
- Dahale M, Neale G, Mcllhagger A, Archer E & Harkin Jones E (2018) Effect of pick density on tensile, compressive and shear properties of 3D woven glass composites. In: ICCS21: 21st International Conference on Composite Structures, Bologna, 4-7 September 2018.
- Archer E, McIlhagger A, Harkin-Jones E, Neale G, Ralph C, Dahale M, Hardman A, McGarrigle C & Stewart G (2018) 3D weaving and consolidation of carbon fibre T-piece stringers. In: 18th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM18), 2018, Athens, 24-28 June 2018.
- Neale G (2018) 3D woven composites for energy absorbing applications. In: SAMPE Europe Conference, Southampton, 11-13 September 2018.
- Neale G (2018) Effective triggering of omega-shaped 3D woven composite components for progressive crush initiation. In: 21st Sir Bernard Crossland Symposium and Postgraduate Research Workshop, Dublin, 24-26 April 2018.