Contact Dr Francesco Fanicchia
Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
- Sustainable Manufacturing
Dr. Fanicchia is Senior Lecturer in High Temperature Surface Engineering in the Surface Engineering and Precision Centre, School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing (SATM). He has both a BSc and a MSc in Materials Science from the University of Rome Tor Vergata (Italy) and in 2013 he moved to the UK to pursue his PhD in Materials Science at The University of Nottingham. He then gained industrial research experience in Surface Engineering at TRT Ltd and TWI Ltd (UK), before joining Cranfield University in 2022 as a Senior Lecturer.
Dr. Fanicchia is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) and an associate member of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS).
Since his appointment at Cranfield, he is also Operations leader for the National High Temperature Surface Engineering Centre within the Henry Royce Institute.
Combinatorial coating deposition for accelerated material discovery
Articles In Journals
- Oppong Boakye G, Geambazu LE, Ormsdottir AM, Gunnarsson BG, Csaki I, Fanicchia F, Kovalov D & Karlsdottir SN (2022) Microstructural properties and wear resistance of Fe-Cr-Co-Ni-Mo-based high entropy alloy coatings deposited with different coating techniques, Applied Sciences, 12 (6) Article No. 3156.
- Brownlie F, Hodgkiess T & Fanicchia F (2021) Erosion-corrosion behaviour of CoCrFeNiMo0.85 and Al0.5CoCrFeNi complex concentrated alloys produced by laser metal deposition, Surface and Coatings Technology, 423, Article No. 127634.
- Thorhallsson AI, Fanicchia F, Davison E, Paul S, Davidsdottir S & Olafsson DI (2021) Erosion and corrosion resistance performance of laser metal deposited high-entropy alloy coatings at hellisheidi geothermal site, Materials, 14 (11) Article No. 3071.
- Dong Z, Sergeev D, Dodge MF, Fanicchia F, Müller M, Paul S & Dong H (2021) Microstructure and thermal analysis of metastable intermetallic phases in high‐entropy alloy CoCrFeMo0.85Ni, Materials, 14 (5) Article No. 1073.
- Fanicchia F, Csaki I, Geambazu LE, Begg H & Paul S (2019) Effect of microstructural modifications on the corrosion resistance of CoCrFeMo0.85Ni compositionally complex alloy coatings, Coatings, 9 (11) Article No. 695.
- Manea C, Csaki I, Geambazu L, Miculescu F, Petrescu M, Fanicchia F, Sohaciu M & Rosu L (2019) Hfnbtatizr high entropy alloy processed by mechanical alloying, Upb Scientific Bulletin, Series B: Chemistry and Materials Science, 81 (3) 201-208.
- Fanicchia F, Maeder X, Ast J, Taylor AA, Guo Y, Polyakov MN, Michler J & Axinte DA (2018) Residual stress and adhesion of thermal spray coatings: Microscopic view by solidification and crystallisation analysis in the epitaxial CoNiCrAlY single splat, Materials and Design, 153 36-46.
- Fanicchia F & Axinte D (2018) Transient three-dimensional geometrical/thermal modelling of thermal spray: Normal-impinging jet and single straight deposits, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 122 1327-1342.
- Fanicchia F, Axinte D, Kell J, McIntyre R, Brewster G & Norton A (2017) Combustion flame spray of CoNiCrAlY & YSZ coatings, Surface and Coatings Technology, 315 546-557.
- De Matteis F, Fanicchia F, Lamastra FR, Stracci G, De Angelis R, Prosposito P, Nanni F & Casalboni M (2014) Nonlinear optical materials by electrospinning technique, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131 (20).
- Halaçoǧlu U, Sahiller HA, Stefansson A, Pekdüz I, Galeczka IM, Taddei Pardelli P, Tempesti C, Mannelli A, Kravos A, Sabard A, Fanicchia F, Paul S & Az Engun R (2021) Design of a scaling reduction system for geothermal applications. In: 100RES 2020 – Applied Energy Symposium (ICAE), 100% RENEWABLE: Strategies, Technologies and Challenges for a Fossil Free Future, Online, 29-30 October 2020.