Contact Dr Filomeno Martina
Areas of expertise
Filomeno Martina is a lecture in Additive Manufacture in the Welding Engineering and Laser Processing Centre, Cranfield University, where he's contributing to developing WAAM. He received his PhD in Additive Manufacturing from Cranfield University in 2014; the main focus of his doctoral research was the manipulation of geometry, microstructure and mechanical properties of large WAAM titanium deposits. Previously he earned an MSc also from Cranfield in Engineering and Management of Manufacturing Systems, and an MEng in Industrial and Management Engineering from Polytechnic of Bari (Italy).
- Cost modelling of the Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing process
- AMAZE project (H2020)
- HiDepAM project (EPSRC)
- WAAM Maturation programme and industrialisation of the WAAM process
- Large scale titanium deposition: development of strategies, metallographic analysis, mechanical properties testing, qualification for aerospace applications
- WAAM of large steel and superalloys structures for the oil and gas industry
- Development of in-process cold-working methods for additive manufacturing
- WAAM of refractory metals
- Design for additive manufacturing and topology optimisation
- Welding and thermomechanical processing of titanium alloys
- BAE Systems
- Lockheed Martin
- Thales Alenia Space
- Volvo Trucks
Articles In Journals
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C, Martina F, Tapoglou N & Lockett H (2018) A system approach for modelling additive manufacturing in defence acquisition programs, Procedia CIRP, 67 209-214.
- Lockett H, Ding J, Williams S & Martina F (2017) Design for wire+arc additive manufacture: design rules and build orientation selection, Journal of Engineering Design, 28 (7-9) 568-598.
- Xu X, Ganguly S, Ding J, Huo S, Williams S & Martina F (2017) Microstructural evolution and mechanical properties of maraging steel produced by wire + arc additive manufacture process, Materials Characterization, Early online.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Watts C & Drake R (2017) A review of additive manufacturing technology and cost estimation techniques for the defence sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 19 (November) 117-128.
- Colegrove PA, Donoghue J, Martina F, Gu J, Prangnell P & Hönnige J (2017) Application of bulk deformation methods for microstructural and material property improvement and residual stress and distortion control in additively manufactured components, Scripta Materialia, 135 (July) 111-118. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4055061
- Zhang X, Martina F, Ding J, Wang X & Williams SW (2017) Fracture toughness and fatigue crack growth rate properties in wire + arc additive manufactured Ti-6Al-4V, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 40 (5) 790-803.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Martina F (2016) Defining Next-Generation Additive Manufacturing Applications for the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Procedia CIRP, 55 302-307.
- Thompson MK, Moroni G, Vaneker T, Fadel G, Campbell RI, Gibson I, Bernard A, Schulz J, Graf P, Ahuja B & Martina F (2016) Design for Additive Manufacturing: Trends, opportunities, considerations, and constraints, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 65 (2) 737-760.
- Martina F, Roy MJ, Szost BA, Terzi S, Colegrove PA, Williams SW, Withers PJ, Meyer J & Hoffmann M (2016) Residual stress of as-deposited and rolled Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing Ti–6Al–4V components, Materials Science and Technology, 32 (14) 1439-1448.
- Szost B, Terzi S, Martina F, Boisselier D, Prytuliak A, Pirling T, Hofmann M & Jarvis D (2016) A comparative study of additive manufacturing techniques: Residual stress and microstructural analysis of CLAD and WAAM printed Ti-6Al-4V components, Materials and Design, 89 559-567.
- Donoghue J, Antonymy AA, Martina F, Colegrove PA, Williams SW & Prangnell PB (2016) The effectiveness of combining rolling deformation with wire-arc additive manufacture on β-Grain refinement and texture modification in Ti-6Al-4V, Materials Characterization, 114 (April) 103-114.
- Williams SW, Martina F, Addison AC, Ding J, Pardal G & Colegrove P (2016) Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing, Materials Science and Technology, 32 (7) 641-647.
- Erkoyuncu J, Busachi A, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defense applications, Procedia CIRP, 37 48-53.
- Ding J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Williams S, Wiktorowicz R & Palt M. (2015) Development of a laminar flow local shielding device for wire + arc additive manufacture, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 226 99-105.
- Martina F, Colegrove PA, Williams SW & Meyer J (2015) Microstructure of interpass rolled wire + arc additive manufacturing Ti-6Al-4V components, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A - Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 46 (12) 6103-6118.
- Colegrove PA, Martina F, Roy MJ, Szost BA, Terzi S, Williams SW, Withers PJ & Jarvis D (2014) High pressure interpass rolling of Wire + Arc additively manufactured titanium components, Advanced Materials Research, 996 694-700.
- Colegrove PA, Coules HE, Fairman J, Martina F, Kashoob T, Mamash H & Cozzolino LD (2013) Microstructure and residual stress improvement in wire and arc additively manufactured parts through high-pressure rolling, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 213 (10) 1782-1791.
- Martina F, Mehnen J, Williams SW, Colegrove P & Wang F (2012) Investigation of the benefits of plasma deposition for the additive layer manufacture of Ti-6Al-4V, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 212 (6) 1377-1386.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defence applications. In: 4th CIRP global Web conference (CIRPe 2015): understanding the life cycle implications of manufacturing, Online, 29 September - 1 October 2015.
- Martina F, Williams S & Colegrove P Improved microstructure and increased mechanical properties of additive manufacture produced TI-6AL-4V by interpass cold rolling. In: 24th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 2013, Austin, Texas, 12-14 August 2013.
- Martina F, Williams S & Colegrove P (2013) Design of an empirical process model and algorithm for the Tungsten Inert Gas wire+arc additive manufacture of TI-6AL-4V components. In: 24th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 2013, Austin, Texas, 12-14 August 2013.