Contact Dr Filomeno Martina
Areas of expertise
Dr Filomeno Martina is Senior Lecturer in Additive Manufacturing at the Welding Engineering and Laser Processing Centre, Cranfield University, where he also researches on in-process cold-work, Wire+Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM) of titanium, WAAM hardware and cost modelling of the WAAM process. He also manages the WAAMMat research programme, which is currently worth £9M. He was the lead researcher for the AMAZE and HiDepAM projects. He currently holds an Erasmus+ grant to develop a new MSc course on metal AM (ADMIRE). He received his PhD in Additive Manufacturing from Cranfield University in 2014; the main focus of his doctoral research was the manipulation of geometry, microstructure and mechanical properties of large WAAM titanium deposits. Previously he earned an MSc also from Cranfield and an MEng in Industrial and Management Engineering from Polytechnic of Bari (Italy). He has received awards from BAE Systems (2010, 2018), Royal Aeronautical Society (2013), European Space Agency (2015), and The Welding Institute (2018).
- Cost modelling of the Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing process
- AMAZE project (H2020)
- HiDepAM project (EPSRC)
- WAAM Maturation programme and industrialisation of the WAAM process
- Large scale titanium deposition: development of strategies, metallographic analysis, mechanical properties testing, qualification for aerospace applications
- WAAM of large steel and superalloys structures for the oil and gas industry
- Development of in-process cold-working methods for additive manufacturing
- WAAM of refractory metals
- Design for additive manufacturing and topology optimisation
- Welding and thermomechanical processing of titanium alloys
- BAE Systems
- Lockheed Martin
- Thales Alenia Space
- Volvo Trucks
Articles In Journals
- Garcia-Colomo A, Wood D, Martina F & Williams S (2020) A comparison framework to support the selection of the best additive manufacturing process for specific aerospace applications, International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing, In press.
- Dryburgh P, Pieris D, Martina F, Patel R, Sharples S, Li W, Clare AT, Williams S & Smith RJ (2019) Spatially resolved acoustic spectroscopy for integrity assessment in wire-arc additive manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing, 28 (August) 236-251.
- Pardal G, Martina F & Williams S (2019) Laser stabilization of GMAW additive manufacturing of Ti-6Al-4V components, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 272 (October) 1-8. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8067644
- Michel F, Lockett H, Ding J, Martina F, Marinelli G & Williams S (2019) A modular path planning solution for Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 60 (December) 1-11.
- Marinelli G, Martina F, Ganguly S, Williams S, Lewtas H & Hancock D (2019) Functionally graded structures of refractory metals by Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, Early online (5).
- Ho A, Zhao H, Fellowes JW, Martina F, Davis AE & Pragnell PB (2019) On the origin of microstructural banding in Ti-6Al4V wire-arc based high deposition rate additive manufacturing, Acta Materialia, 166 (March) 306-323.
- Martina F, Ding J, Williams S, Caballero A, Pardal C & Quintino L (2018) Tandem metal inert gas process for high productivity wire arc additive manufacturing in stainless steel, Additive Manufacturing, Early online.
- Ríos S, Colegrove P, Martina F & Williams S (2018) Analytical process model for wire + arc additive manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing, 21 (May) 651-657.
- Xu X, Ganguly S, Ding J, Dirisu P, Martina F, Liu X & Williams SW (2018) Improving mechanical properties of wire plus arc additively manufactured maraging steel through plastic deformation enhanced aging response, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, Early online.
- Xu X, Ganguly S, Ding J, Huo S, Williams S & Martina F (2018) Microstructural evolution and mechanical properties of maraging steel produced by wire + arc additive manufacture process, Materials Characterization, 143 (September) 152-162.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C, Martina F, Tapoglou N & Lockett H (2018) A system approach for modelling additive manufacturing in defence acquisition programs, Procedia CIRP, 67 209-214.
- Colegrove PA, Donoghue J, Martina F, Gu J, Prangnell P & Hönnige J (2017) Application of bulk deformation methods for microstructural and material property improvement and residual stress and distortion control in additively manufactured components, Scripta Materialia, 135 (July) 111-118. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4055061
- Zhang X, Martina F, Ding J, Wang X & Williams SW (2017) Fracture toughness and fatigue crack growth rate properties in wire + arc additive manufactured Ti-6Al-4V, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 40 (5) 790-803.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Watts C & Drake R (2017) A review of additive manufacturing technology and cost estimation techniques for the defence sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 19 (November) 117-128.
- Lockett H, Ding J, Williams S & Martina F (2017) Design for wire+arc additive manufacture: design rules and build orientation selection, Journal of Engineering Design, 28 (7-9) 568-598.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Martina F (2016) Defining next-generation additive manufacturing applications for the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Procedia CIRP, 55 302-307.
- Martina F, Roy MJ, Szost BA, Terzi S, Colegrove PA, Williams SW, Withers PJ, Meyer J & Hoffmann M (2016) Residual stress of as-deposited and rolled Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing Ti–6Al–4V components, Materials Science and Technology, 32 (14) 1439-1448.
- Szost B, Terzi S, Martina F, Boisselier D, Prytuliak A, Pirling T, Hofmann M & Jarvis D (2016) A comparative study of additive manufacturing techniques: Residual stress and microstructural analysis of CLAD and WAAM printed Ti-6Al-4V components, Materials and Design, 89 559-567.
- Williams SW, Martina F, Addison AC, Ding J, Pardal G & Colegrove P (2016) Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing, Materials Science and Technology, 32 (7) 641-647.
- Donoghue J, Antonymy AA, Martina F, Colegrove PA, Williams SW & Prangnell PB (2016) The effectiveness of combining rolling deformation with wire-arc additive manufacture on β-Grain refinement and texture modification in Ti-6Al-4V, Materials Characterization, 114 (April) 103-114.
- Thompson MK, Moroni G, Vaneker T, Fadel G, Campbell RI, Gibson I, Bernard A, Schulz J, Graf P, Ahuja B & Martina F (2016) Design for Additive Manufacturing: Trends, opportunities, considerations, and constraints, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 65 (2) 737-760.
- Martina F, Colegrove PA, Williams SW & Meyer J (2015) Microstructure of interpass rolled wire + arc additive manufacturing Ti-6Al-4V components, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A - Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 46 (12) 6103-6118.
- Ding J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Williams S, Wiktorowicz R & Palt M. (2015) Development of a laminar flow local shielding device for wire + arc additive manufacture, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 226 99-105.
- Erkoyuncu J, Busachi A, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defense applications, Procedia CIRP, 37 48-53.
- Colegrove PA, Martina F, Roy MJ, Szost BA, Terzi S, Williams SW, Withers PJ & Jarvis D (2014) High pressure interpass rolling of Wire + Arc additively manufactured titanium components, Advanced Materials Research, 996 694-700.
- Colegrove PA, Coules HE, Fairman J, Martina F, Kashoob T, Mamash H & Cozzolino LD (2013) Microstructure and residual stress improvement in wire and arc additively manufactured parts through high-pressure rolling, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 213 (10) 1782-1791.
- Martina F, Mehnen J, Williams SW, Colegrove P & Wang F (2012) Investigation of the benefits of plasma deposition for the additive layer manufacture of Ti-6Al-4V, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 212 (6) 1377-1386.
- Zhang X, Syed AK, Biswal R, Martina F, Ding J & Williams S (2019) High cycle fatigue and fatigue crack growth rate in additive manufactured titanium alloys. In: ICAF 2019 – Structural Integrity in the Age of Additive Manufacturing, Krakow, 2-7 June 2019.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defence applications. In: 4th CIRP global Web conference (CIRPe 2015): understanding the life cycle implications of manufacturing, Online, 29 September - 1 October 2015.
- Martina F, Williams S & Colegrove P (2013) Design of an empirical process model and algorithm for the Tungsten Inert Gas wire+arc additive manufacture of TI-6AL-4V components. In: 24th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 2013, Austin, Texas, 12-14 August 2013.
- Martina F, Williams S & Colegrove P Improved microstructure and increased mechanical properties of additive manufacture produced TI-6AL-4V by interpass cold rolling. In: 24th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, 2013, Austin, Texas, 12-14 August 2013.