Contact Dr Fanny Camelia
Areas of expertise
- Defence Systems Engineering
- Human Factors for Defence
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
- Systems Engineering
Dr Camelia is a Senior Research Fellow at Centre for Systems and Technology Management, Cranfield University. She is a module leader for Human-Centric Systems Engineering and a contributor to Applied Systems Thinking, Human Centric Systems Engineering and Thesis Selection Workshop modules. She supervises masters thesis students for Systems Engineering for Defence Capability MSc.
research interests include systems thinking, systems approach, systems
engineering (SE), cyber SE, human SE, technology management and
SE/project management crossover. She worked on several research projects: “Air
Transport System Analysis Using Sociotechnical Approach and System Dynamics”,
Agile Wing Integration (AWI) project led by Airbus UK; “Systems Engineering
support to Naval EA&C Artificial Chief Engineer Project” with Rolls-Royce UTC
in Aero System Design Integration and Performance; and “Government and Industry
collaboration and innovation: Best Practices” with UKDSC.
She is a Co-PI of several projects: Cranfield GCRF project on “A system of systems approach to building community disaster resilience: Cutting-edge technologies for situational awareness and decision support”; Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF) funded project on “Wargaming: Cross Sector Knowledge Exchange between Military Warfare Battlefield and Civil Air Transport Planning” with Airbus; and Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF) funded project on “GREET - Global Smart Security Network at DARTeC”.
Articles In Journals
- Camelia F, Ferris TLJ & Behrend MB (2019) The effectiveness of a systems engineering course in developing systems thinking, IEEE Transactions on Education, 63 (1) 10-16.
- Camelia F, Ferris TLJ & Cropley DH (2018) Development and initial validation of an instrument to measure students' learning about systems thinking: the affective domain, IEEE Systems Journal, 12 (1) 115-124.
- Camelia F & Ferris TLJ (2018) Validation studies of a questionnaire developed to measure students' engagement with systems thinking, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics: Systems, 48 (4) 574-585.
- Camelia F & Ferris TLJ (2017) Undergraduate students' engagement with systems thinking: results of a survey study, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics: Systems, 47 (12) 3165-3176.
- Camelia F & Ferris TLJ (2016) Systems thinking in systems engineering, Incose International Symposium, 26 (1) 1657-1674.
- Ferris T, Squires A & Camelia F (2015) Integrating affective engagement into systems engineering education. In: 122nd ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition: Making Value for Society, 2015, Seattle, Washington, 14-17 June 2015.
- Camelia F, Ferris TLJ & Siska M (2014) The need for introducing systems engineering to industrial engineering students. In: 1st International Conference on Science and Technology for Sustainability, 2014, Batam Island, 22-23 October 2014.