Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Drug Discovery & Development
- Food Quality
- Food Safety
- Digital Agriculture
- Food waste
- PhD - Systems Biology and Bioinformatics (2009) Cranfield University, UK
- MSc – Bioinformatics (2005) Cranfield University, UK
- BSc (First class Honours) - Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Egypt
Head of the Bioinformatics Group, Agrifood, School of Energy, Environment and Agrifood.
Dr Mohareb's research focuses on the development and application of computational methods in order to unravel the complexity of biological systems. This involves the applications of machine learning and pattern recognition techniques to reveal hidden patterns in multivariate and high throughput datasets, as well as the application of the latest Web technologies, Big Data storage and Cloud Computing to provide means for managing and visualising large datasets.
Development of novel methodologies to improve meat quality: Together with the Agricultural University of Athens, we are working on the development of classification and regression models for predicting spoilage in meat products stored under different storage conditions and temperature.
Symbiosis Online Research Framework (SORF): SORF is an online data storage and exploratory analysis tool developed and managed in-house at Cranfield to provide the food research community with an interactive web application for data management, exchange, visualisation and analysis. SORF was developed as part of the Symbiosis-EU project, an FP7-funded project. SORF continues to be maintained and refined by Cranfield's Bioinformatics Group.
MRMaid: In collaboration with Professor Conrad Bessant at Queen Mary University of London, we have developed, and continue to refine and maintain, a web-based software tool called MRMaid, an online tool for mining millions of publicly available peptide spectra to help researchers design targeted proteomics assays for selected reaction monitoring experiments.
HAPI: The £3M funding is the first round of awards from BBSRC's Horticulture and Potato Initiative (HAPI) which supports high-quality, industrially relevant research projects on potato and edible horticulture crops. The workgroup of Professor Leon Terry at Cranfield University has contributed £1M towards the research. HAPI brings academic researchers together with industry in order to deliver bigger yields of better quality fruits and vegetables for the consumer, through more sustainable farming practices. Dr Mohareb is responsible for the Bioinformatics work.
- Agricultural University of Athens (AUA), Athens, Greece
- GSK, Stevenage, UK
- Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
- Unilever, Colworth, UK.
Articles In Journals
- Diez Benavente E, Ward Z, Chan W, Mohareb FR, Sutherland CJ, Roper C, Campino S & Clark T (2017) Genomic variation in Plasmodium vivax malaria reveals regions under selective pressure, PLoS ONE, 12 (5).
- Estelles-Lopez L, Ropodi A, Pavlidis D, Fotopoulou J, Gkousari C, Peyrodie A, Panagou E, Nychas GJ & Mohareb F (2017) An automated ranking platform for machine learning regression models for meat spoilage prediction using multi-spectral imaging and metabolic profiling, Food Research International, 99 (1) 206-215.
- Anastasiadi M, Mohareb FR, Redfern SP, Berry M, Simmonds MS & Terry LA (2017) Biochemical profile of heritage and modern apple cultivars and application of machine learning methods to predict usage, age, and harvest season, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 65 (26) 5339-5356.
- Motawi TMK, Sadik NAH, Shaker OG, El Masry MR & Mohareb F (2016) Study of microRNAs-21/221 as potential breast cancer biomarkers in Egyptian women, Gene, 590 (2) 210-219.
- Mohareb F, Papadopoulou O, Panagou E, Nychas G & Bessant C (2016) Ensemble-based support vector machine classifiers as an efficient tool for quality assessment of beef fillets from electronic nose data, Analytical Methods, 8 (18) 3711-3721.
- Nychas GJ, Panagou EZ & Mohareb FR (2016) Novel approaches for food safety management and communication, Current Opinion in Food Science, 12 (December) 13-20.
- Ropodi AI, Pavlidis DE, Mohareb F, Panagou EZ & Nychas G (2015) Multispectral Image Analysis approach to detect adulteration of beef and pork in raw meats, Food Research International, 67 12-18.
- Benavente E, Coll F, Furnham N, McNerney R, Glynn J, Campino S, Pain A, Mohareb F & Clark T (2015) PhyTB: Phylogenetic tree visualisation and sample positioning for M. tuberculosis, BMC Bioinformatics, 16 (1).
- Mohareb F, Iriondo M, Doulgeraki A, Van Hoek A, Aarts H, Cauchi M & Nychas G (2015) Identification of meat spoilage gene biomarkers in Pseudomonas putida using gene profiling, Food Control, 57 (Nov) 152-160.
- Kevei Z, King RC, Mohareb F, Sergeant MJ, Awan SZ & Thompson AJ (2015) Resequencing at ≥ 40-fold depth of the parental genomes of a Solanum lycopersicum × S. pimpinellifolium recombinant inbred line population and characterisation of frame-shift InDels that are highly likely to perturb protein function, G3, 5 (5) 971-981.
- Papadopoulou OS, Efstathios P, Mohareb FR & Nychas GJE (2013) Sensory and microbiological quality assessment of beef fillets using a portable electronic nose in tandem with support vector machine analysis, Food Research International, 50 (1) 241-249.
- Fan J, Mohareb F, Jones AM & Bessant C (2012) MRMaid: The SRM Assay Design Tool for Arabidopsis and Other Species, Frontiers in Plant Science, 3.
- Fan J, Mohareb F, Jones AME & Bessant C (2012) MRMaid: the SRM assay design tool for Arabidopsis and other species, Frontiers in Plant Science, 3.
- Fan J, Mohareb F, Bond NJ, Lilley KS & Bessant C (2012) MRMaid 2.0: Mining PRIDE for Evidence-Based SRM Transitions, OMICS, 16 (9) 483-488.
- Panagou EZ, Mohareb FR, Argyri AA, Bessant CM & Nychas G-JE (2011) A comparison of artificial neural networks and partial least squares modelling for the rapid detection of the microbial spoilage of beef fillets based on Fourier transform infrared spectral fingerprints, Food Microbiology, 28 (4) 782-790.
- Argyri A, Mohareb F, Panagou EZ, Bessant C & Nychas GJ (2009) An artificial neural networks approach for the rapid detection of the microbial spoilage of beef fillets based on Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy data. In: 6th Annual Conference on Predictive Modelling in Foods (ICPMF), Washington DC, 1 January 2009.
- Mohareb F, Bessant C & Nychas GJ (2009) Symbiosis: a Web-based framework for managing and analysing high throughput metabolomic data. In: 17th Annual Internationa Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) & 8th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB), Stockholm, 1 January 2009.
- Mohareb F, Sattlecke M, Argyri A, Panagou EZ, Nychas E & Bessant C (2009) Identification of Meat Spoilage from FTIR Data Using the Symbiosis Data Analysis Framework. In: Euroanalysis 2009, Vienna, 1 January 2009.