Contact Dr Evangelia Pontika
Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Environmental Impacts
- Flight Physics
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
Evangelia Pontika is a Research Fellow in Propulsion Performance and Fleet Management within the Hybrid Electric Propulsion Group and Centre for Gas Turbine Diagnostics and Life Cycle Analysis at Cranfield University, Centre for Propulsion and Thermal Power Engineering. Her research activities include gas turbine engine life consumption, engine life management, flight path analysis and propulsion integration of green and sustainable power generation technologies.
Evangelia has developed a multi-platform aero-engine performance simulation app within the Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachinery at Aristotle University, which is currently used for educational purposes in Aerospace Courses in Greece and Sweden. At Cranfield University, she has developed engine life consumption and engine life management methods and frameworks. She also has experience in the aircraft integration of electric and hybrid-electric propulsion systems as well as their environmental and performance assessment.
Evangelia has advised and supervised 5 MSc theses within the Thermal Power and Propulsion MSc Course. She has also acted as a student poster reviewer for ASME Turbo Expo and as a reviewer for the Global Power & Propulsion Society and AIAA conferences. Her industrial and research partners include: Lufthansa Technik, Rolls Royce, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Sheffield University, TU Delft University, Mälardalen University and others.
Evangelia holds a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering with specialisation in Aeronautics and Engines (BEng+MEng) from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2017) and a PhD in Aerospace Propulsion from Cranfield University (2021) on the topic of "Hot Corrosion Damage Modelling in Aero-Engines based on Performance and Flight Mission Analysis for Fleet Characterisation".
Awards & Honours
- Scholarship for a fully funded PhD at Cranfield University sponsored by Lufthansa Technik (2017)
- Best Paper Award, ASME Turbo Expo 2018 (2019)
Gas Turbine Engine Life Consumption
Engine Life Management
Hybrid Electric Propulsion Integration
Evangelia is working within PINES (Propulsion Integration of Novel Engine Systems) funded by UKRI in the areas of performance and life management of novel engines. She is also contributing to other activities of the Hybrid Electric Propulsion Group including FutPrint50, an EU Horizon 2020 project, in the areas of aircraft integration of electrified propulsion systems and environmental assessment.
Evangelia has collaborated with several industrial and academic organisations including: Lufthansa Technik, Rolls Royce, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Sheffield University, Mälardalen University and others.
Articles In Journals
- Pontika E, Laskaridis P, Nikolaidis T & Koster M (2023) Hot corrosion damage modelling in aero engines based on performance and flight mission analysis. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Pontika E, Zaghari B, Zhou T, Enalou HB & Laskaridis P (2023) Integrated mission performance analysis of novel propulsion systems: analysis of a fuel cell regional aircraft retrofit. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Pontika E, Laskaridis P, Montana Gonzalez F, Jacobs W & Mills A (2023) Mapping the effect of variable HPT blade cooling on fuel burn, engine life and emissions for fleet optimization using active control. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zaghari B, Zhou T, Enalou HB, Pontika E & Laskaridis P (2023) The impact of multi-stack fuel cell configurations on electrical architecture for a zero emission regional aircraft. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Kiran A, Zaghari B, Sinnige T, Pontika E, Enalou HB, Kipouros T & Laskaridis P (2023) The impact of electric machine and propeller coupling design on electrified aircraft noise and performance. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zhou T, Enalou HB, Pontika E, Zaghari B & Laskaridis P (2022) Minimising the effect of degradation of fuel cell stacks on an integrated propulsion architecture for an electrified aircraft. In: 2022 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference & Expo (ITEC), Anaheim, California, 15-17 June 2022.
- Pontika E, Laskaridis P, Nikolaidis T & Koster M (2021) Comparison of sodium sulphate deposition rate models based on operational factors influencing hot corrosion damage in aero-engines. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London: Virtual Event, 21-25 September 2020.
- Pontika EC, Kalfas AI & Aslanidou I (2019) AeroEngineS: Multi-platform application for aero engine simulation and compressor map operating point prediction. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2019), Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Aslanidou I, Zaccaria V, Pontika E, Zimmerman N, Kalfas I & Kyprianidis K (2018) Teaching gas turbine technology to undergraduate students in Sweden. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2018: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2018), Oslo, 11-15 June 2018.