Contact Dr Enes Unal
Areas of expertise
- Design, Strategy & Innovation
Lecturer in Circular Economy and Innovation, Dr. Enes Unal organises and leads the short courses on Circular Innovation, leveraging expertise in sustainability-oriented and design-driven innovations. He has completed his PhD at Politecnico di Milano, School of Management under the European Doctorate in Industrial Management (EDIM) scheme.
Dr. Unal has done research on Circular Business Model Innovation mostly with a focus on manufacturing industry. In particular, he studies the value creation and capture through circular economy oriented innovations by incorporating the context and managerial commitment. Enes has published many peer-reviewed scientific articles in well-known strategy and management journals. Currently, he also does research on the synergy between Industry 4.0 (enabling technologies) and Circular Business Model Innovation. In addition, Enes works with companies in various industries and institutions who are willing to design circular business models, products and processes. Some of the projects that Enes worked on include:
- Business model design for a radical innovation on the precise detection of near-future earthquakes (2018 - 2019, Cosmetecor Int.)
- Production of sustainable bio-composite material for insulation and packaging out of tea waste (2014, Turkey Ministry of Technology R&D project)
- Innovation marketing and commercialisation project of the radical innovation on particle analyser (2013, Innosiris GmbH & Hamburg University of Technology)
- Design of the bottle filling process solution in a clean room for operational and eco-efficiency (2012-2013, Life Technologies & Strathclyde University)
Articles In Journals
- Ünal E, Urbinati A, Chiaroni D & Manzini R (2019) Value Creation in Circular Business Models: The case of a US small medium enterprise in the building sector, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 146 (July) 291-307.
- Shao J, Huang S, Lemus-Aguilar I & Ünal E (2019) Circular business models generation for automobile remanufacturing industry in China, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Available online 25 September 2019 (3).
- Shao J & Ünal E (2019) What do consumers value more in green purchasing? Assessing the sustainability practices from demand side of business, Journal of Cleaner Production, 209 (February) 1473-1483.
- Ünal E & Shao J (2019) A taxonomy of circular economy implementation strategies for manufacturing firms: Analysis of 391 cradle-to-cradle products, Journal of Cleaner Production, 212 (March) 754-765.
- Ünal E, Urbinati A & Chiaroni D (2019) Managerial practices for designing circular economy business models: The case of an Italian SME in the office supply industry, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 30 (3) 561-589.