Contact Dr Emma Goslan
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758343
- Email: E.H.Goslan@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Emma Goslan's qualifications:
EngD Natural Organic Matter Character and Reactivity: Assessing Seasonal Variation in a Moorland Water (Cranfield University, 2003)
MSc Water Pollution Control Technology (Cranfield University 1999)
BSc (Hons) Chemistry with Information Technology and Instrumentation (Glasgow Caledonian University, 1996)
Emma worked as a study scientist from 1996 to 1998 in the safety testing of novel agrochemicals in soil, plants and water. She developed methods for analysis and separation of chiral isomers.
Dr Emma Goslan is a Senior Research Fellow in Water Chemistry in the Cranfield Water Science Institute in the Department of Environmental Science and Technology.
Emma has more than 10 years' experience working in research in natural organic matter (NOM) and disinfection by-product (DBP) formation. Her areas of expertise are:
- Characterisation of NOM
- DBP and micro-pollutant analysis
- Advanced oxidation processes
- Chromatographic measurement techniques
She is currently working on a DEFRA project on Identification of high risk sites for iodinated DBP formation. She is also working with Scottish Water, supervising an MSc by Research into the behaviour of Haloacetic acids (DBPs) in distribution systems. Emma is working on a number of smaller projects on DBPs for Yorkshire Water and Scottish Water. She recently finished a project for Aqua Metrology Systems which investigated the Return on Investment of an onl-line THM monitor.
Recently finished work includes a project with Defra to survey haloacetic acids (DBPs) in drinking water in England and Wales over 2 years. Other recent projects involve working with Yorkshire Water to elucidate the link between water character and DBP formation and Defra on endocrine disrupting chemicals. Emma has also analysed a range of 21 DBPs in samples taken across Europe for the HIWATE project (Health Impacts of Long-term Exposure to DBPs in Drinking Water) sponsored by the EU.
Emma has a keen interest in Catchment Management, particularly in catchments rich in NOM. She recently organised a conference entitled "Catchment Management: a treatment perspective" in June 2013 which was well attended by water industry professionals from utilities, consultancies and research institutes.
UK Water Utilities
- Anglian Water
- Northern Ireland Water
- Nothumbrian Water Limited
- Scottish Water
- Severn Trent Water
- South East Water
- United Utilities
- Yorkshire Water
- Aqua Metrology Systems
DEFRA, specifically DWI.
Imperial College London
Articles In Journals
- Evlampidou I, Font-Ribera L, Rojas-Rueda D, Gracia-Lavedan E, Costet N, Pearce N, Vineis P, Jaakkola JJ, Delloye F, Makris KC, Stephanou EG, Kargaki S, Kozisek F, Sigsgaard T, Hansen B, Schullehner J, Nahkur R, Galey C, Zwiener C, Vargha M, Righi E, Aggazzotti G, Kalnina G, Grazuleviciene R, Polanska K, Gubkova D, Bitenc K, Goslan EH, Kogevinas M & Villanueva CM (2020) Trihalomethanes in drinking water and bladder cancer burden in the European Union, Environmental Health Perspectives, 128 (1) Article No. 017001.
- Jarvis P, Autin O, Goslan EH & Hassard F (2019) Application of ultraviolet light-emitting diodes (UV-LED) to full-scale drinking-water disinfection, Water (Switzerland), 11 (9) Article No. 1894.
- Goslan EH, Seigle C, Purcell D, Henderson R, Parsons SA, Jefferson B & Judd SJ (2017) Carbonaceous and nitrogenous disinfection by-product formation from algal organic matter, Chemosphere, 170 (March) 1-9.
- Jefferson B, Jarvis P, Bhagianathan G, Smith H, Autin O, Goslan H, McAdam J & Carra I (2016) Effect of elevated UV dose and alkalinity on metaldehyde removal and THM formation with UV/TiO2 and UV/H2O2, Chemical Engineering Journal, 288 (March) 359-367.
- Villanueva CM, Castano-Vinyals G, Moreno V, Carrasco-Turigas G, Aragones N, Boldo E, Ardanaz E, Toledo E, Altzibar JM, Zaldua I, Azpiroz L, Goni F, Tardon A, Molina AJ, Martin V, Lopez-Rojo C, Jimenez-Moleon JJ, Capelo R, Gomez-Acebo I, Peiro R, Ripoll M, Gracia-Lavedan E, Nieuwenhujsen MJ, Rantakokko P, Goslan EH, Pollan M & Kogevinas M (2012) Concentrations and correlations of disinfection by-products in municipal drinking water from an exposure assessment perspective, Environmental Research, 114 1-11.
- Jeong CH, Wagner ED, Siebert VR, Anduri S, Richardson SD, Daiber EJ, McKague AB, Kogevinas M, Villanueva CM, Goslan EH, Luo WT, Isabelle LM, Pankow JF, Grazuleviciene R, Cordier S, Edwards SC, Righi E, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ & Plewa MJ (2012) Occurrence and toxicity of disinfection byproducts in European drinking waters in relation with the HIWATE epidemiology study, Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (21) 12120-12128.
- Jeong CH, Wagner ED, Siebert VR, Anduri S, Richardson SD, Daiber EJ, McKague AB, Kogevinas M, Villanueva CM, Goslan EH, Luo W, Isabelle LM, Pankow JF, Grazuleviciene R, Cordier S, Edwards SC, Righi E, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ & Plewa MJ (2012) Occurrence and toxicity of disinfection byproducts in European drinking waters in relation with the HIWATE epidemiology study, Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (21) 12120-12128.
- Bond T, Goslan EH, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2011) Treatment of Disinfection By-Product Precursors, Environmental Technology, 32 (1) 1-25.
- Bougeard MM, Goslan EH, Jefferson B & Parsons SA (2010) Comparison of the disinfection by-product formation potential of treated waters exposed to chlorine and monochloramine, Water Research, 44 (3) 729-740.
- Bond T, Goslan EH, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2010) Disinfection by-product formation of natural organic matter surrogates and treatment by coagulation, MIEX (R) and nanofiltration, Water Research, 44 (5) 1645-1653.
- Bond T, Henriet O, Goslan EH, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2009) Disinfection byproduct formation and fractionation behavior of natural organic matter surrogates, Environmental Science and Technology, 43 (15) 5982-5989.
- Bessiere Y, Jefferson B, Goslan E & Bacchin P (2009) Effect of hydrophilic/hydrophobic fractions of natural organic matter on irreversible fouling of membranes, Desalination, 249 (1) 182-187.
- Bond T, Goslan EH, Jefferson B, Roddick F, Fan L & Parsons SA (2009) Chemical and biological oxidation of NOM surrogates and effect on HAA formation, Water Research, 43 (10) 2615-2622.
- Zhang P, Hozalski RM, Leach LH, Camper AK, Goslan EH, Parsons SA, Xie YFF & LaPara TM (2009) Isolation and characterization of haloacetic acid-degrading Afipia spp. from drinking water, FEMS Microbiology Letters, 297 (2) 203-208.
- Goslan EH, Krasner SW, Bower M, Rocks SA, Holmes P, Levy LS & Parsons SA (2009) A comparison of disinfection by-products found in chlorinated and chloraminated drinking waters in Scotland, Water Research, 43 (18) 4698-4706.
- Zhang P, Lapara TM, Goslan EH, Xie YF, Parsons SA & Hozalski RM (2009) Biodegradation of Haloacetic Acids by Bacterial Isolates and Enrichment Cultures from Drinking Water Systems, Environmental Science and Technology, 43 (9) 3169-3175.
- Murray CA, Goslan EH & Parsons SA (2007) TiO2/UV: Single stage drinking water treatment for NOM removal?, Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science, 6 (3) 311-317.
- Parsons SA, Goslan EH, Gures F & Banks J (2006) An investigation into reservoir NOM reduction by UV photolysis and advanced oxidation processes, Chemosphere, 65 (7) 1113-1119.
- Goslan EH & Parsons SA (2005) Seasonal variations in the disinfection by-product precursor profile of a reservoir water, Aqua, 51 (8) 475-482.
- Jefferson B, Sharp E L, Goslan E, Henderson R & Parsons SA (2005) Application of charge measurement to water treatment processes, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 4 (5-6) 49-56.
- Parsons SA, Jefferson B, Goslan EH, Jarvis PR & Fearing DA (2004) Natural organic matter - The relationship between character and treatability, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 4 (5-6) 43-48.
- Fearing DA, Goslan EH, Banks J, Wilson D, Hillis P, Campbell AT & Parsons SA (2004) Staged coagulation for treatment of refractory organics, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 130 (9) 975-982.
- Goslan EH & Parsons SA (2004) NOM control options: the next generation, Water Science and Technology, 4 139-145.
- Goslan Emma Harriet, Voros Sandrine, Banks Jenny, Wilson Derek, Hillis Peter, Campbell Andrew T & Parsons Simon A (2004) A model for predicting dissolved organic carbon distribution in a reservoir water using fluorescence spectroscopy, Water Research, 38 (3) 783-791.
- Goslan EH, Wilson D, Banks J, Hillis P, Campbell A & Parsons SA (2004) Natural organic matter fractionation: XAD resins versus UF membranes. An investigation into THM formation, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 4 (5-6) 113-119.
- Losty E & Goslan E (2017) Formation potential of disinfection by products of 4 water sources after Nanofiltration (NF) and Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOPs) at optimal and sub-optimal conditions. In: 15th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, Rhodes, 31 August - 2 September 2017.
- Bougeard C, Goslan EH, Jefferson B & Parsons SA (2007) Precursor identification of haloacetic acids (HAAs) and trihalomethanes (THMs): A UK perspective. In: 233rd American Chemical Society National Meeting, Chicago, 25-29 March 2007.
- Goslan EH, Jarvis P & Parsons SA (2006) Aquatic NOM : will it form THMs or HAAs?. In: IWA World Water Congress, Beijing, 10 September 2006.
- Goslan EH, Jarvis P, Gurses F, Jefferson B & Parsons (2006) Transformation of natural organic matter by UV photolysis and advanced oxidation processes. In: 13th meeting of the International Humic Substances Society, Karlsruhe, Germany, 30 July 2006.
- Goslan EH & Parsons SA (2005) The Use of Fluorescence Spectroscopy for Investigating the Seasonal Variation in Make-up and Reactivity of Natural Organic matter. In: International Humic Substances Society, Sundsvall, Sweden, 30 March 2005.
- Goslan EH & Parsons SA (2005) Natural organic matter fractionation: XAD resins vs UF membranes: an Investigation into THM formation. In: 4th IWA World Water Congress and Exhibition, Marrakech, 30 March 2005.
- Parsons SA, Goslan EH, Jarvis P & Jefferson B (2005) NOM the relationship between character and treatability. In: 4th IWA World Water Congress and Exhibition, Marrakech, 30 March 2005.
- Agori G, Snaddon K & Goslan EH (2015) The Behaviour of Haloacetic Acids in Distribution Zones in Scotland. In: Disinfection By-products in Drinking Water. K Clive Thompson, Simon Gillespie, Emma Goslan (ed.), RSC, p. 236-252.
- Bougeard CMM, Janmohamed IHS, Goslan EH, Jefferson B, Watson JS, Morgan GH & Parsons SA (2008) Parameters affecting haloacetic acid and trihalomethane concentrations in treated UK drinking waters. In: Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water, p. 95-108.