Contact Dr Emanuele Pagone
Areas of expertise
- Advanced Casting Science and Technologies
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Environmental Impacts
- Manufacturing Systems
- Sustainable Manufacturing
BackgroundDr Emanuele Pagone is Research Fellow in Sustainable Manufacturing Modelling at Cranfield University. He has 15+ years of experience in modelling and simulation of sustainable systems using commercial tools or developing his own computational packages.
He received a degree with honours in Mechanical Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Bari (Italy) and obtained an MRes and a PhD by Cranfield University on the multi-disciplinary assessment of sustainable energy systems. E.ON funded his MRes and his main PhD project where he led groups of researchers totalling 18 MSc students and one doctoral researcher. During this time he also contributed to the FP6 EU project NEWAC on the multi-disciplinary appraisal of aircraft propulsion engines and to a project with Samsung Techwin (now Hanwha Aerospace).
Dr Pagone was, then, appointed Research Fellow at Cranfield University leading the technical work of the University group on the design of a hybrid electric aircraft propulsion system for an Innovate UK project in collaboration with Rolls-Royce and Airbus Group. Subsequently, he joined the Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Centre contributing to the successful conclusion of the first phase and to the bidding for the second phase of UK EPSRC projects on sustainable metal casting. He has also worked on 15+ other projects with the industry and research bodies.
- Multi-criteria decision analysis
- Life-cycle environmental impact appraisal
- Multi-disciplinary sustainability assessment of Additive Manufacturing processes at system level
- Energy-efficient and sustainable metal casting
- Modelling of manufacturing systems
- Sustainable energy transformation modelling (production and use)
- Industrial deployment and enhancement of a software package to estimate the life-cycle environmental impact of metal 3D printed components
- Energy-efficient and sustainable metal casting analysis through modelling and experiments in the casting lab
- Multi-criteria decision analysis for material selection in sustainable manufacturing systems
- Life-cycle environmental impact appraisal of vehicles
- Modelling of manufacturing systems with Discrete Event Simulations and statistical analysis tools
- Waste heat recovery in foundries through thermodynamic cycles
- Manager of the Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Simulation lab
- UK EPSRC "Small is Beautiful phase 2" on sustainable metal casting
- Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of additive manufacturing products
- Production line improvements through modelling with industrial partners
- Module Leader of Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Enterprise Modelling
- Principles of Sustainability
- Doctoral Researchers
- MSc Group Projects
- Individual Research Projects (i.e., MSc theses)
Funding bodies: UK EPSRC, Innovate UK, European Commission (since FP6).
Industrial partners: E.ON, Airbus Group, Rolls-Royce, Boeing, British Ministry of Defence, Meggitt, BAE Systems, GKN, Thales Group and Thales Alenia Space, Safran, Weir, Roche AG, Becton Dickinson, Saint Gobain PAM, WAAM3D, Guaranteed, Adient, Samsung Techwin (now Hanwha Aerospace), Sylatech, Haddonstone, Apar Steel & Castings.
Articles In Journals
- Pagone E, Haddad Y, Barsotti L, Dini G & Salonitis K (2023) A stochastic evaluation framework to improve the robustness of manufacturing systems, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Available online 03 January 2023.
- Haddad Y, Pagone E, Valdez Parra R, Pearson N & Salonitis K (2022) How do small changes enable the shift to net‑zero? a techno‑environmental‑economic analysis, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Available online 4 August 2022.
- Kedward L, Aradi B, Certik O, Curcic M, Ehlert S, Engel P, Goswami R, Hirsch M, Lozada-Blanco A, Magnin V, Markus A, Pagone E, Pribec I, Richardson B, Snyder H, Urban J & Vandenplas J (2022) The state of Fortran, Computing in Science and Engineering, 24 (2) 63-72.
- Mudgal D, Pagone E, Alkhunani RA & Salonitis K (2021) Life-cycle-assessment of cast stone manufacturing: a case study, Procedia CIRP, 104 624-629.
- Haddad Y, Pagone E, Afy-Shararah M, Pearson N, Folland JJ & Salonitis K (2021) The transition to environmentally sustainable production: a roadmap timeline methodology, Procedia CIRP, 103 79-84.
- Albakkoush S, Pagone E & Salonitis K (2021) An approach to airline MRO operators planning and scheduling during aircraft line maintenance checks using discrete event simulation, Procedia Manufacturing, 54 160-165.
- Saxena P, Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2021) Sustainability metrics for rapid manufacturing of the sand casting moulds: a multi-criteria decision-making algorithm-based approach, Journal of Cleaner Production, 311 (August) Article No. 127506.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Jolly M & Salonitis K (2020) Numerical simulation and evaluation of Campbell running and gating systems, Metals, 10 (1) Article No. 68.
- Pagone E, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Multi-criteria decision-making for the life cycle of sustainable high pressure die casting products, International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, 4 (2-4) 101-120.
- Priarone PC, Pagone E, Martina F, Catalano AR & Settineri L (2020) Multi-criteria environmental and economic impact assessment of wire arc additive manufacturing, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 69 (1) 37-40.
- Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Automatically weighted high-resolution mapping of multi-criteria decision analysis for sustainable manufacturing systems, Journal of Cleaner Production, 257 (June) Article No. 120272.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Sustainability-based evaluation of casting gating systems: A multi-criteria decision-making approach, Procedia Manufacturing, 43 704-711.
- Mudgal D, Pagone E & Salonitis K (2020) Approach to value stream mapping for make-to-order manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 93 826-831.
- Pagone E, Efthymiou K, Mahoney B & Salonitis K (2019) The effect of operational policies on production systems robustness: An aerospace case study, Procedia CIRP, 81 1337-1341.
- Salonitis K, Jolly M, Pagone E & Papanikolaou M (2019) Life cycle and energy assessment of automotive components manufacturing: The dilemma between aluminium and cast iron, Energies, 12 (13) Article No. 2557.
- Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2018) Energy and material efficiency metrics in foundries, Procedia Manufacturing, 21 421-428.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Georgarakis K, Rogers K, Jolly M & Salonitis K (2018) Design optimisation of the feeding system of a novel counter-gravity casting process, Metals, 8 (10) Article No. 817.
- Pagone E, Jolly M & Salonitis K (2016) The development of a tool to promote sustainability in casting processes, Procedia CIRP, 55 53-58.
- Mudgal D, Pagone E & Salonitis K (2022) Material selection for ornamental products based on carbon footprint and embodied water. In: SDM-2022: 9th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 14-16 September 2022.
- Pagone E & Salonitis K (2022) Comparative study of multi-criteria decision analysis methods in environmental sustainability. In: SDM-2022: 9th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 14-16 September 2022.
- Pagone E, Saxena P, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Sustainability assessment of rapid sand mould-making using multi-criteria decision making mapping. In: SDM-2020 7th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 9-11 September 2020.
- Albakkoush S, Pagone E & Salonitis K (2020) Scheduling challenges within maintenance repair and overhaul operations in the civil aviation sector. In: TESConf 2020: 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2020.
- Papanikolaou M, Saxena P, Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Optimisation of the filling process in counter-gravity casting. In: 15th International Conference on Modelling of Casting, Welding and Advanced Solidification Processes (MCWASP XV), Jönköping, 22-23 June 2020.
- Jolly MR, Salonitis K, Pagone E & Papanikolaou M (2019) Substitution of cast iron engine components with aluminium alloys: a life cycle perspective. In: VDI Congress: Casting Technology for Combustion Engines, Magdeburg, 29-30 January 2019.
- Ampah AD, Pagone E & Salonitis K (2019) Life cycle assessment of graphene as heating element. In: 6th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, (KES-SDM-2019), Budapest, 4-5 July 2019.
- Pagone E, Jolly M, Salonitis K, (2017) A tool to promote sustainability in casting processes: development highlights. In: 4th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 2017, Bologna, 26-28 April 2017.
- Jolly MR, Salonitis K & Pagone E (2017) A comparison of embodied and process energy and CO2 for different processes used in the manufacture of a major automotive power train component. In: COM2017 - Annual Conference of Metallurgists, Vancouver, BC, 27-30 August 2017.
- Pagone E, Antonissen J & Martina F (2022) Life cycle sustainability assessment of repair through wire and arc additive manufacturing. In: REWAS 2022: Developing Tomorrow’s Technical Cycles, Cham: Springer, p. 387-394.
- Jolly M, Salonitis K, Pagone E, Papanikolaou M & Prateek S (2022) Energy resilient foundries: the “Small is beautiful” projects. In: Light Metals 2022, Cham: Springer, p. 743-750.
- Saxena P, Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly MR (2020) Digital manufacturing for Foundries 4.0. In: Light Metals 2020, Cham: Springer, p. 1019-1025.
- Pagone E, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2019) Metal casting energy efficient metrics for material selection of automotive parts. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2018: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing (KES-SDM-18), Springer, p. 290-303.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Salonitis K, Jolly M & Makatsoris C (2019) A computational framework towards energy efficient casting processes. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2018: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing (KES-SDM-18), Cham: Springer, p. 263-276.
- Gonçalves M, Jolly M, Salonitis K & Pagone E (2018) Resource efficiency analysis of high pressure die casting process. In: Light Metals 2018, Cham: Springer, p. 1041-1047.
- Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2018) Energy-efficient casting processes. In: Innovations in Manufacturing for Sustainability, Springer, p. 77-98.
- Pagone E, Jolly M & Salonitis K (2017) A tool to promote sustainability in casting processes: Development highlights. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2017: Selected Papers on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Springer, p. 172-184.
- Jolly MR, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Ball P, Mehrabi H & Pagone E (2017) Energy efficiency status-quo at UK foundries: the “small-is-beautiful” project. In: Light Metals 2017, Cham: Springer, p. 917-923.