Areas of expertise
- Welding and Laser Processing
Prior to Cranfield Dr Eimer worked for Constellium, an aluminium semi-finished products manufacturer. She was based in the company research centre and a production unit in France. Her aim was to support the set up and tuning of a new spray quenching machine designed for the heat treatment of structural components for aircraft wings.
Aluminium Additive Manufacturing, Metallic functionally graded structure, Life cycle assessment in manufacturing, local processing of metals
Dr Eimer leads the aluminium Additive Manufacturing research activities in the Welding and Additive Manufacturing Centre. She investigates process and material development for the Wire and Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM) process. Part of the program focuses on low technology readiness level projects funded by Horizon 2020 or the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). For instance, she investigated the possibility of using WAAM to deposit aluminium lithium alloys and implemented in-situ alloying to produce variable alloy chemical composition.
Industry funding allows the aluminium research programme to mature the technology further: the team capability to manufacture representative components in the University laboratory is one of the great strengths of the centre.
Thales Alenia Space, Safran, WAAM3D
Articles In Journals
- Ye J, Syed AK, Zhang X, Eimer E & Williams S (2023) Fatigue crack growth behavior in an aluminum alloy Al–Mg–0.3Sc produced by wire based directed energy deposition process, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 46 (10) 3927-3938. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.21082183
- Eimer E, Ganguly S, Czink S, Dietrich S, Chehab B, Ding J & Williams S (2023) Effect of inter layer cold work on 2024 aluminium alloy produced by wire directed energy deposition, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 880 (July) Article No. 145272. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12143805
- Eimer E, Williams S, Ding J, Ganguly S & Chehab B (2023) Mechanical performances of the interface between the substrate and deposited material in aluminium wire Direct Energy Deposition, Materials and Design, 225 (January) Article No. 111594.
- Eimer E, Williams S, Ding J, Ganguly S & Chehab B (2021) Effect of substrate alloy type on the microstructure of the substrate and deposited material interface in aluminium wire + arc additive manufacturing, Metals, 11 (June) Article No. 916. Dataset/s: Doi: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12497006
- Ayarkwa KF, Pinter Z, Eimer E, Williams S, Ding J & Suder W (2021) Effect of the deposition strategy on Al-Cu alloy wire+ arc additive manufacture, SVR - Materials Science and Engineering Technology, 1 (1) 28-34.
- Eimer E, Suder W, Williams S & Ding J (2020) Wire laser arc additive manufacture of aluminium zinc alloys, Welding in the World, 64 (8) 1313-1319.
- Hönnige J, Colegrove P, Ganguly S, Eimer E, Kabra S & Williams S (2018) Control of residual stress and distortion in aluminium wire + arc additive manufacture with rolling, Additive Manufacturing, 22 (August) 775-783.
- Diao C, Eimer E, Mancini S, Krishnaswamy S, Schwarz F, Pagone E, Ding J, Williams S, Pinter Z & Martina F (2022) Manufacture of large-scale space exploration components using wire + arc additive manufacturing. In: ICAS 2022: 33rd Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Stockholm, 4-9 September 2022.