Contact Dr Eduardo Anselmi Palma
Areas of expertise
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
Eduardo is a Production Engineer with eight years’ experience in the oil and gas industry, and six years as an engineering instructor in Venezuela. He has field experience supervising operations in natural gas compression and distribution. His engineering portfolio includes projects on: health & safety, constructability and gas turbine performance. Other contributions to industry have demanded well balanced skills in consultancy and project management. Eduardo’s teaching experience focused on applied thermodynamics and laboratory practices.
He has completed: Specialization Courses in Oil & Gas (1998), Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (2009), with stress in turbomachinery preliminary design (Axial Compressors) and a PhD in Aerospace Engineering (2015), focused on Design and analysis of environmentally friendly civil Brayton cycles. Following his PhD, he joined the Propulsion Engineering Centre as Research Fellow in Supercritical CO2 Cycle Performance.
Eduardo’s research background at Cranfield is related to exploring
the feasibility of novel concepts for aero gas turbines. His research has included
a wide range of engineering disciplines:
· Gas turbine performance simulation
· Turbomachinery preliminary design
· Applied thermo-fluids sciences
· Heat exchanger preliminary design
This research was framed under the EU FP7 project – LEMCOTEC, where Eduardo served as the primary contact for the task 1.2.4 team.
Eduardo is the technical leader for the construction of a test rig using carbon dioxide in supercritical state for power generation. This is an Innovate UK project which is aimed at enabling critical component testing of a representative waste heat recovery system for gas turbines. This facility will be the first of its kind in the UK.
Current work is related to:
· Numerical simulation of bottoming cycles with supercritical carbon dioxide
· Design of experiments and measurement definition
· Process, mechanical and control design of the test rig
· Assessment of safety precautions for the construction and operation of the test rig
· Novel integration of CO2 technologies such as: refrigeration, compression and transport; with propulsion system-airframe technologies
Eduardo is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
Articles In Journals
- Cleton B, Anselmi E, Pellegrini A, Pachidis V & Laskaridis P (2019) Effect of mixing Mach number and mixing efficiency on the preliminary cycle design of mixed high-BPR turbofans, Thermal Science and Engineering Progress, 10 (May) 299-308.
- Camilleri W, Anselmi E, Sethi V, Laskaridis P, Rolt A & Cobas P (2015) Performance characteristics and optimisation of a geared intercooled reversed flow core engine, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (2) 269-279.
- Camilleri W, Anselmi E, Sethi V, Laskaridis P, Groenstedt T, Zhao X, Rolt A & Cobas P (2015) Concept description and assessment of the main features of a geared intercooled reversed flow core engine, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (9) 1631-1639.
- Anselmi E, Bunce I & Pachidis V (2019) An overview of initial operating experience with the closed-loop sCO2 test facility at Cranfield University. In: Turbo Expo 2019, Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Zubizarreta J, Anselmi E, Zachos P & Pachidis V (2018) The impact of measurement uncertainty on heat exchanger performance measurements in a sCO2 test facility for power cycle applications. In: XXIV Biennial Symposium on Measuring Techniques in Turbomachinery, Prague, 29 August 2018 - 31 August 2019.
- Anselmi E, Bunce I, Pachidis V, Zachos P & Johnston M (2018) An overview of the Rolls-Royce sCO2-test rig project at Cranfield University. In: 6th International sCO2 Power Cycles Symposium, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA, 27-29 March 2018.
- Brighenti G, Anselmi E & Zachos P (2016) Parametric evaluation of S-CO2 Brayton cycles for bottoming applications. In: 1st European Seminar on Supercritical CO2 (sCO2) Power Systems, Vienna, 29-30 September 2016.
- Anselmi E, Zachos P, Collins R & Hassan M (2016) Development of an experimental S-CO2 loop for bottoming cycle applications. In: 1st European Seminar on Supercritical CO2 (sCO2) Power Systems, Vienna, 29-30 September 2016.
- Anselmi E, Camilleri W, Laskaridis P, Rolt A & Sethi V (2015) Assessment of the low pressure turbine exhaust design challenges in a geared intercooled reversed flow core engine. In: The 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines (ISABE) 2015, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Camilleri W, Anselmi E, Sethi V, Cobas P & Laskaridis P (2013) Performance assessment of a geared turbofan with intercooling and a reverse flow core. In: 21st International Symposium of Air Breathing Engines (ISABE 2013), Busan, 9-13 September 2013.