Contact Dr Duncan Hodges
Areas of expertise
- Communications Systems
- Defence Info Systems
Duncan received his PhD from the University of Bath in 2006 and since then has worked as a Researcher in The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Bath, a Technology Researcher for the UK Government, a Researcher in the Cyber Security Centre at The University of Oxford, before joining Cranfield as a Senior Lecturer in the Information Operations Group.
This background has given Duncan the ability to deliver technically challenging, high-risk research which provides genuine, tangible benefit and impact.
Duncan currently holds an ESRC NCRM Fellowship on Digital Identity and is a visitor at the Alan Turing Institute, the national centre for data science and artificial intelligence.
My research focusses on a number of topics including:
- Identity in cyber and natural spaces
- Offensive cyber activity and Information warfare
- Applications of Natural Language Processing in Cybersecurity
I have a number of funded PhD students working on a variety of these topics including the Agent-Based modelling of Offensive Actors in Cyberspace and Natural Language Processing to help the understanding of the Insider Threat.
In addition, I am the lead PI on an EPSRC project entitled 'People Powered for Desirable Social Outcomes', I am also a CO-I on an EPSRC project looking at enabling sensitive disclosures through the use of conversational agents.
I have two projects awarded through the Centre for Research and Evidence in Security Threats commissioning process, one considering information leakage and identity cues through how individuals interact with devices and the second considering how the smart home enables traditional crimes.
- Critical Networks and Cyber-Physical Systems
- Cyber Attacks, Threats and Opportunities
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Economic and Social Research Council - National Centre for Research Methods
- Centre for Research and Evidence in Security Threats
- Innovate UK
- Defence Science and Technology Labs
Articles In Journals
- Hodges D & Buckey O (2019) Reconstructing what you said: text Inference using Smartphone Motion, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 18 (4) 947-959.
- Hodges D & Buckley O (2018) Deconstructing who you play: character choice in online gaming, Entertainment Computing, 27 (August) 170-178.
- Whitty MT, Doodson J, Creese S & Hodges D (2018) A picture tells a thousand words: what Facebook and Twitter images convey about our personality, Personality and Individual Differences, 133 (15) 109-114.
- Bruce J, Scholtz J, Hodges D, Emanuel L, Fraser DS, Creese S & Love OJ (2014) Pathways to identity: using visualization to aid law enforcement in identification tasks, Security Informatics, 3 (1) Article No. 12.
- Whitty M, Doodson J, Creese S & Hodges D (2014) Individual differences in cyber security behaviours: An examination of who’s sharing passwords, Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 18 (1) 3-7.
- Townsend A, Watson R & Hodges D (2009) Analysis of the variability in the raindrop size distribution and its effect on attenuation at 20-40 GHz, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 8 1210-1213.
- Hodges D & Watson R (2009) An Analysis of conditional site diversity: a study at Ka-Band, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 57 (3) 721-727.
- Hodges D, Watson R & Wyman G (2006) An attenuation time series model for propagation forecasting, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 54 (6) 1726-1733.
- Williams E, Slade E, Hodges D & Morgan P (2020) Individual differences in the adoption and secure use of smart home technology. In: British Academy of Management Conference: BAM2020 Conference In The Cloud, Online, 2-4 September 2020.
- Paxton-Fear K, Hodges D & Buckley O (2020) Understanding insider threat attacks using natural language processing: automatically mapping organic narrative reports to existing insider threat frameworks. In: 22nd International conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI International) 2020, Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2020.
- Hodges D & Buckley O (2017) Its not all about the money: Self-efficacy and Motivation in Defensive and Offensive Cyber Security Professionals. In: 5th International Conference on Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy and Trust (HCI International 2017), Vancouver, 9-14 July 2017.
- Buckley O, Hodges D, Hadgkiss M & Morris S (2017) Keystroke Inference using Smartphone Kinematics. In: 5th International Conference on Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy and Trust (HCI International 2017), Vancouver, 9-14 July 2017.
- Buckley O & Hodges D (2016) User identification using games. In: 4th International Conference, HAS 2016, Held as Part of HCI International 2016, Toronto, 17-22 June 2016.
- Scholtz J, Love O, Whiting M, Hodges D, Emanuel L & Fraser DS (2014) Utility Evaluation of Models. In: BELIV '14 Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on Beyond Time and Errors: Novel Evaluation Methods for Visualization, Paris, 10 November 2014.
- Doodson J, Hodges D, Whitty M & Creese S (2014) Does personality and security expertise predict password strength?. In: Internet Research 15: The 15th Annual Meeting of the Association of Internet Researchers, Daegu, 22-24 October 2014.
- Creese S, Gibson-Robinson T, Goldsmith M, Hodges D, Kim D, Love O, Nurse J, Pike B & Scholtz J (2013) Tools for Understanding Identity. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Homeland Security, Waltham, MA, 12-14 November 2013.
- Whitty MT, Creese S & Hodges D (2013) Who's Making Security Risks Online?. In: 13th European Congress of Psychology, ECP 2013, Stockholm, 9 July 2013.
- Hodges D & Creese S (2013) Building a better intelligence machine: A new approach to capability review and development. In: IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI) 2013, Seattle, Washington, 4-7 June 2013.
- Hodges D, Nurse J, Goldsmith M & Creese S (2012) Identity attribution across cyberspace and the natural space. In: The International Crime and Intelligence Analysis Conference 2012, Manchester, 13-14 December 2012.
- Hodges D, Creese S & Goldsmith M (2012) A Model for Identity in the Cyber and Natural Universes. In: European Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (EISIC), 2012, Odense, 22-24 August 2012.
- Hodges D & Creese S (2009) Breaking the Arc: Risk Control for Big Data. In: IEEE International Conference on Big Data, 2013, Silicon Valley, CA, 6-9 October 2013.
- Watson R & Hodges D (2009) Estimation of rainfall rate from terrestrial microwave link measurements. In: IGARSS 2009 : International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium,2009, Cape Town, 12-17 July 2009.
- Watson R & Hodges D (2009) Real-time propagation forecasting for Earth-Space communication. In: 2009 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), Loughborough, 16-17 November 2009.
- Townsend AJ & Hodges DD (2008) Determining probabilistic attenuation forecasts to account for raindrop size distribution variability on Earth-Space links. In: XXIX General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science (URSI), Chicago, 7-16 August 2008.
- Hodges DD & Watson R (2008) A technique for reconstructing two-dimensional rainfall fields from terrestrial microwave links. In: XXIX General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science (URSI), Chicago, 7 August 2008.
- Watson R & Hodges D (2007) On the use of ECMWF-Scale Meteorological Estimates for Statistical and Real-Time Radiowave Propagation Prediction. In: The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007. EuCAP 2007., Edinburgh, 11 November 2007.
- Watson R & Hodges DD (2006) Some observations on the spatial and temporal scaling properties of rain. In: First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation‚ 2006. EuCAP 2006., Nice, 6 November 2006.
- Hodges D & Watson R (2006) Initial comparisons of forecast attenuation and beacon measurements at 20 and 40 GHz. In: 2006 First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation‚ (EuCAP), Nice, 6-10 November 2006.
- Hodges D & Watson R (2006) The application of NWP techniques for the forecasting of attenuation time series at 30/40 GHz. In: 3rd CNES Workshop on Earth Space Propagation 2006, Toulouse, 22 August 2006.
- Watson R & Hodges D (2005) A real-time SHF propagation forecasting system using numerical weather predictions and radar measurements. In: 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Washington, DC, 3-8 July 2005.
- Hodges D, Watson R & Paulson K (2005) Techniques for the spatial downscaling of rain for application in SHF propagation modelling. In: 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Washington, DC, 3-8 July 2005.
- Gremont B, Watson R, Watson P & Hodges D (2003) Modelling and Detection of Rain Attenuation for MF-TDMA Satellite Networks Utilizing Fade Mitigation Techniques. In: International Workshop of COST Actions 272 and 280, ESTEC 2003, Leiden, 26 May 2003.
- Hodges D, Watson R, Page A & Watson P (2003) Generation of attenuation time-series for EHF SATCOM simulation. In: Military Communications conference, MILCOM 2003, Boston, USA, 1 October 2003.
- Hodges D & Watson R Site Diversity Provision at 20.7 GHz. In: The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007. EuCAP 2007., Edinburgh, 11 November 2007.
- Hodges D & Watson R The Accuracy of a Radiowave Simulation Model at 20.7 GHz. In: The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007. EuCAP 2007., Edinburgh, 11 November 2007.
- Townsend A, Watson R & Hodges D The effect of raindrop size distribution variability on the estimation of attenuation. In: EuCAP 2009: 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Berlin, 23 March 2009.
- Whitty M, Doodson J, Creese S & Hodges D Image Choice to Represent the Self in Different Online Environments. In: 6th International Conference, SCSM 2014. Held as part of HCI International 2014, Heraklion, Crete, 22 June 2014.
- Emanuel L, Bevan C & Hodges D What does your profile really say about you?: Privacy warning systems and self-disclosure in online social network spaces. In: Human Factors in Computing Systems Conference (CHI '13), 2013, Paris, 27 April - 2 May 2013.
- Creese S, Hodges D, Jamison-Powell S & Whitty M Relationships between Password Choices, Perceptions of Risk and Security Expertise. In: First International Conference (HAS 2013) part of HCI International 2013, Las Vegas, 21-26 July 2013.
- Devlin M, Nurse JR, Hodges D, Goldsmith M & Creese S (2015) Predicting Graphical Passwords. In: Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy, and Trust, Springer International Publishing, p. 23-35.
- Hodges D & Creese S (2015) Understanding Cyber-Attacks. In: Cyber Warfare: A Multidisciplinary Analysis, Abingdon: Routledge, p. 33-72.