Areas of expertise
BackgroundShe has more than 7 years of research experience on water availability risks and water economics in the agricultural sector. Before Cranfield, as part of her PhD at the Technical University of Madrid, she was involved in pan European research dealing with water markets to cope with water shortages; drought and flood policies related to the agricultural sector in different countries; and climate change impacts on agriculture.
Dolores Rey is working on two NERC grants under the Drought and Water Scarcity Programme. Her research seeks to understand farmer and agribusiness decision-making processes regarding water management during single to multi-year drought events given uncertain information regarding water resource status and emerging drought conditions. Besides, she is looking at the financial impacts of droughts on the UK agricultural sector.Her research interests are related to water resources economics and management in agriculture. More specifically:
- water availability risks
- droughts and water scarcity impacts, adaptation options and policy approaches
- water trading
Articles In Journals
- Rey D, Pérez-Blanco CD, Escriva-Bou A, Girard C & Veldkamp TIE (2018) Role of economic instruments in water allocation reform: lessons from Europe, International Journal of Water Resources Development, Early online.
- Rey D, Holman IP & Knox JW (2017) Developing drought resilience in irrigated agriculture in the face of increasing water scarcity, Regional Environmental Change, 17 (5) 1527-1540.
- Morris J, Else MA, El Chami D, Daccache A, Rey D & Knox J (2017) Essential irrigation and the economics of strawberries in a temperate climate, Agricultural Water Management, 194 90-99.
- Rey D, Garrido A & Calatrava J (2016) An innovative option contract for allocating water in Inter-Basin Transfers: the case of the Tagus-Segura Transfer in Spain, Water Resources Management, 30 (3) 1165-1182.
- Rey D, Holman I, Daccache A, Morris J, Weatherhead K & Knox J (2016) Modelling and mapping the economic value of supplemental irrigation in a humid climate, Agricultural Water Management, 173 (July) 13-22.
- Rey Dolores (2015) Water option contracts for reducing water supply risks, Outlook On Agriculture, 44 (1) 5-9.
- Rey D, Garrido A & Calatrava J (2015) Comparison of different water supply risk management tools for irrigators: option contracts and insurance, Environmental and Resource Economics, 65 (2) 415-439.
- Rey D, Calatrava J & Garrido A (2015) Optimisation of water procurement decisions in an irrigation district: the role of option contracts, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 60 (1) 130-154.