Contact Dr Devaiah Nalianda
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754742
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Energy and the Environment
- Environmental Impacts
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
PhD (Oct 2009- Oct 2012) - Impact of environmental taxation policies on civil aviation - Techno-economic Environmental Risk Assessment - Cranfield University
MSc (Oct 2008 - Sep 2009)- Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Technology) - Cranfield University (MSc research dissertation on impact of takeoff segment on component damage severity and aircraft performance)
Engineer Officer (Marine gas turbine propulsion) - Indian Navy (Jun 2001 - Jun 2008)
- Operation and maintenance of propulsion and power generation gas turbine power plants on ships.
- Defect analysis, overhauling and testing of marine gas turbines.
Devaiah’s research is focused on conceptual development and application of Distributed Propulsion systems for civil aircraft.
He is also responsible for the management, development and support of the simulation software for the Centre. These include mathematical models to simulate integrated aircraft and propulsion system performance (HERMES), marine gas turbine application and performance (POSEIDON), Economics model to assess operating costs and effects of future environmental policy and development of the Techno-economic Environmental Risk Assessment (TERA) frameworks for civil aviation.
He is the technical lead for a collaborative project between NASA and CU and has made a substantially contribution to the SGO-ITD research in CLEAN SKY project and other EU Framework Projects.
Teaching and technical contribution:
He lectures on the Performance and Propulsion System Integration module of the MSc in Thermal Power and CPD short course programmes.
Technical project management:
He is the focal point for technical and management activities for the following research projects:
- NASA Grant for Distributed Propulsion Research (NNX13AI78G).
- Systems for Green Operations Integrated Technology Demonstrator, Clean Sky, EU FP7 project (Responsible for multi objective optimisation methods, propulsion system models and application).
Articles In Journals
- Liu Y, Sun X, Sethi V, Li YG, Nalianda D, Abbott D, Gauthier P, Xiao B & Wang L (2020) Development and application of a preliminary design methodology for modern low emissions aero combustors, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, Available online 23 April 2020.
- San Benito Pastor DG, Nalianda D, Sethi V, Midgley R, Rolt A & Block Novelo DA (2020) Preliminary design framework for the power gearbox in a contra-rotating open rotor, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Available online 18 December 2020, Article No. GTP-20-1061.
- Scullion C, Vouros S, Goulos I, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2020) Optimal control of a compound rotorcraft for engine performance enhancement, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Available online 19 November 2020, Article No. GTP-20-1438.
- Ibrahim K, Sampath S & Nalianda D (2020) Optimal voltage and current selection for turboelectric aircraft propulsion networks, IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, 6 (4, December) 1625-1637.
- Rompokos P, Kissoon S, Roumeliotis I, Nalianda D, Nikolaidis T & Rolt A (2020) Liquefied natural gas for civil aviation, Energies, 13 (22) Article No. 5925.
- Vouros S, Goulos I, Scullion C, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2020) Impact of tip-vortex modeling uncertainty on helicopter rotor blade-vortex interaction noise prediction, Journal- American Helicopter Society, Available online 04 September 2020.
- Kissoon S, Mastropierro FS, Nalianda DK, Rolt, A & Sethi B (2020) Assessment of the BWB aircraft for military transport, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 92 (5) 769-776.
- Sebastiampillai J, Rolt AM, Jacob F, Nalianda D & Sethi V (2019) Thermodynamic analysis of nutating disc engine topping cycles for aero-engine applications, Energy, 182 (September) 641-655.
- Block Novelo DA, Igie U & Nalianda D (2019) On-board compressor water injection for civil aircraft emission reductions: range performance with fuel burn analysis, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 67 (February) 449-463.
- Talluri L, Nalianda DK & Giuliani E (2018) Techno economic and environmental assessment of Flettner rotors for marine propulsion, Ocean Engineering, 154 (April) 1-15.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Sethi V, Kyprianidis K, Pilidis P & Singh R (2018) Assessment of an energy-efficient aircraft concept from a techno-economic perspective, Applied Energy, 221 (July) 229-238.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, MacManus D, Pilidis P & Felder J (2018) Method for simulating the performance of a boundary layer ingesting propulsion system at design and off-design, Aerospace Science and Technology, 78 (July) 312-319.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Pilidis P (2018) Installed performance assessment of an array of distributed propulsors ingesting boundary layer flow, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140 (7) Article No. 071203 : GTP-17-1588.
- Valencia E, Hidalgo V, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Singh R (2017) Discretized Miller approach to assess effects on boundary layer ingestion induced distortion, Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 30 (1) 235-248.
- Valencia E, Liu C, Devaiah N, Laskaridis P, Gray I & Singh R (2017) Methodology for the assessment of distributed propulsion configurations with boundary layer ingestion using the discretized miller approach, International Review of Aerospace Engineering, 10 (3) 174-187.
- Liu Y, Sun X, Sethi V, Nalianda D, Li YG & Wang L (2017) Review of modern low emissions combustion technologies for aero gas turbine engines, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 94 (October) 12-45.
- Talluri L, Nalianda DK, Kyprianidis KG, Nikolaidis T & Pilidis P (2016) Techno economic and environmental assessment of wind assisted marine propulsion systems, Ocean Engineering, 121 (July) 301-311.
- Li Z, Nikolaidis T & Nalianda D (2016) Recursive least squares for online dynamic identification on gas turbine engines, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 39 (11) 2589-2596.
- Igie U, Goiricelaya M, Nalianda D & Minervino O (2015) Aero engine compressor fouling effects for short- and long-haul missions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 230 (7) 1312-1324.
- Lokesh K, Sethi V, Nikolaidis T, Goodger E & Nalianda D (2015) Life cycle greenhouse gas analysis of biojet fuels with a technical investigation into their impact on jet engine performance, Biomass and Bioenergy, 77 (June) 26-44.
- Nalianda D, Kyprianidis K, Sethi V & Singh R (2015) Techno-economic viability assessments of greener propulsion technology under potential environmental regulatory policy scenarios, Applied Energy, 157 (November) 35-50.
- Valencia EA, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Singh R (2015) Methodology to assess the performance of an aircraft concept with distributed propulsion and boundary layer ingestion using a parametric approach, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (4) 682-693.
- Nalianda D & Singh R (2014) Turbo-electric distributed propulsion - opportunities, benefits and challenges, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 86 (6) 543-549.
- Scullion C, Vouros S, Goulos I, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2021) Optimal control of a compound rotorcraft for engine performance enhancement. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020, London, 21-26 September 2020.
- Vouros S, Goulos I, Scullion C, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2019) Impact of wake modeling uncertainty on helicopter rotor aeroacoustic analysis. In: 45th European Rotorcraft Forum 2019 (ERF 2019), Warsaw, Poland, 17-20 September 2019.
- Stevens J, Rademaker E, Scullion C, Vouros S, Nalianda D, Pachidis V, van Oosten N, Miste G, Benini E & Venturelli G (2019) Design evaluation and performance assessment of rotorcraft technology by 2050. In: 45th European Rotorcraft Forum 2019 (ERF 2019), Warsaw, Poland, 17-20 September 2019.
- Sebastiampillai J, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Mastropierro F & Sethi V (2019) Technical and economic viability of an EIS 2050 geared open rotor. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2019, Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Pilidis P & Singh R (2017) Economic viability assessment of NASA’s blended wing body N3-X aircraft. In: 53rd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2017, Atlanta, GA, 10-12 July 2017.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P, Pilidis P & Singh R (2017) Performance assessment of a boundary layer ingesting distributed propulsion system at off-design. In: 53rd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2017, Atlanta, GA, 10-12 July 2017.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, MacManus DG & Pilidis P (2016) Installed performance assessment of a boundary layer ingesting distributed propulsion system at design point. In: 52nd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Propulsion and Energy Forum, 2016, Salt Lake City, Utah, 25-27 July 2016.
- Lawson C, Madani I, Seresinhe R & Nalianda D (2015) Trajectory Optimization of Airliners to Minimize Environmental Impact. In: SAE 2015 AeroTech Congress & Exhibition, Seattle, Washington, 22-24 September 2015.
- Jun Wei T, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Singh R (2015) Turboelectric distributed propulsion thrust vectoring. In: The 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines (ISABE) 2015, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Lokesh K, Sethi V, Nikolaidis T & Karumbaiah D (2014) System level performance and emissions evaluation of renewable fuels for jet engines. In: ASME 2014 Gas Turbine India Conference, New Delhi, 15-17 December 2014.
- Pilidis P, Sethi V, Singh R, Di Lorenzo G, Nalianda Karumbaiah D, Pervier H & Marzal Espi R (2011) Powerplant selection, depolyment and asset management: The TERA (TECHNOECONOMIC ENVIRONMENTAL RISK ANALYSIS). In: 24th International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostics Engineering Management (COMADEM2011), Stavanger, Norway, 30 May - 1 June 2011.