Areas of expertise
- Energy and the Environment
- Environmental Impacts
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- PhD - Impact of environmental taxation policies on civil aviation - Techno-economic Environmental Risk Assessment – Cranfield University, United Kingdom (Oct 2009- Oct 2012)
- MSc – Thermal Power (Gas Turbine technology) – Cranfield University, United Kingdom (Oct 2008 - Sep 2009)
Engineer Officer (Marine gas turbine propulsion) - Indian Navy (Jun 2001 - Jun 2008)
- Operation and maintenance of propulsion and power generation gas turbine power plants on ships.
- Defect analysis, overhauling and testing of marine gas turbines.
Leads the development of Techno-economic Environmental Risk Assessment (TERA)
frameworks for simulation of integrated conventional and advanced aircraft and power
plant system concepts (including Hybrid-electric propulsion and Hydrogen
fuel system design and integration)
Leads the development of the following research software for the Centre:
Integrated Aircraft and Propulsion System Performance
Environmental policy assessment and economics models to assess civil aircraft profitability and operational effectiveness (Optimised Trajectory/ mission assessments, Cost Index Methods, investment viability assessments)
Contrail prediction and assessments integrated with aircraft performance tools
Technical project management
Serves as principle investigator, co-principle investigator and research point contact on EU and international projects related to aeronautics and propulsion
Provides specialist support within the centre and represent the centre as subject expert on propulsion related topics at technical project meetings within the United Kingdom and internationally
Supervised to completion 10 PhD researchers and 78 MSc students and currently manages a team of 1 Research Fellow, 6 PhD researchers and 3 MSc students
Supports centre’s capabilities in advanced predictive modelling and simulation for integrated aircraft and power plant concepts, to enable:
o Design space exploration
o Performance optimization of aircraft and novel power plant systems
o Estimation of environmental performance
o Estimation of operating cost (including component life estimation, power plant maintenance costs and cost index based assessments)
o Estimation of investment viability of power plants
Technical project management
As Overall Project Coordinator and Principal Investigator
- Consultancy with Embraer (2019-2020)- Direct maintenance cost modelling
- Project UTOPEA/ H2020 Clean Sky2 (2020-2023) Performance and life estimation of novel components on UHBR (Topic Manager -Airbus)
- Project FASTRIP/ H2020 Clean Sky2 (2021-2023)- Performance and policy assessments of future fast rotorcraft and hybrid electric concept (Topic Manager –DLR with Airbus Helicopters and Leonardo Helicopters )
As Co- Investigator
- Project DEMOS/Clean Sky2 (2016-2019)- Performance and life estimation of novel components on open rotor power plants (Topic Manager -Airbus)
- Project DEPART2050/ Clean Sky2 (2017-2021)- Performance assessments of future fast rotorcraft and hybrid electric concepts, (Topic Manager –DLR with Airbus Helicopters and Leonardo Helicopters )
- Project ENABLEH2/ H2020 project (2018-2022)- Research on utilisation of Hydrogen on future aircraft with a focus on fuel and combustion system design and integration (in partnership with Safran and GKN)
As lead researcher
- Distributed Propulsion Research for civil aircraft concepts (2012-2017)- Research on Turbo-electric distributed propulsion concepts, funded by NASA
- Civil Intake Flow distortion (2016-2017)- Experimental research on flow distortion assessments (Topic manager- Rolls Royce)
Articles In Journals
- Sethi V, Sun X, Nalianda D, Rolt A, Holborn P, Wijesinghe C, Xisto C, Jonsson I, Gronstedt T, Ingram J, Lundbladh A, Isikveren A, Williamson I, Harrison T, Yenokyan A, (2022) Enabling cryogenic hydrogen-based CO2-free air transport: meeting the demands of zero carbon aviation, IEEE Electrification Magazine, 10 (2) 69-81.
- Huete J, Nalianda D & Pilidis P (2022) Impact of tank gravimetric efficiency on propulsion system integration for a first-generation hydrogen civil airliner, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1302) 1324-1332.
- Huete J, Nalianda D, Zaghari B & Pilidis P (2022) A strategy to decarbonize civil aviation: a phased innovation approach to hydrogen technologies, IEEE Electrification Magazine, 10 (2) 27-33.
- Liu Y, Mo D, Nalianda D, Li Y & Roumeliotis I (2022) Review of more electric engines for civil aircraft, International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Available online 12 May 2022.
- Vouros S, Goulos I, Scullion C, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2021) Impact of tip-vortex modeling uncertainty on helicopter rotor blade-vortex interaction noise prediction, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, 66 (1) 1-13.
- San Benito Pastor DG, Nalianda D, Sethi V, Midgley R, Rolt A & Block Novelo DA (2021) Preliminary design framework for the power gearbox in a contra-rotating open rotor, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 143 (4) Article No. GTP-20-1061.
- Rompokos P, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Isikveren AT, Senne C, Gronstedt T & Abedi H (2021) Synergistic technology combinations for future commercial aircraft using liquid hydrogen, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 143 (July) Article No. GTP-20-1405.
- Huete J, Nalianda D & Pilidis P (2021) Propulsion system integration for a first-generation hydrogen civil airliner?, The Aeronautical Journal, 125 (1291: The 25th ISABE Conference special issue) 1654-1665.
- Ibrahim K, Sampath S & Nalianda D (2021) Voltage synchronisation for hybrid-electric aircraft propulsion systems, The Aeronautical Journal, 125 (1291) 1611-1630.
- Scullion C, Vouros S, Goulos I, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2021) Optimal control of a compound rotorcraft for engine performance enhancement, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 143 (2) Article No. 021005; GTP-20-1438.
- Liu Y, Sun X, Sethi V, Li YG, Nalianda D, Abbott D, Gauthier P, Xiao B & Wang L (2021) Development and application of a preliminary design methodology for modern low emissions aero combustors, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 235 (4) 783-806.
- Kissoon S, Mastropierro FS, Nalianda DK, Rolt, A & Sethi B (2020) Assessment of the BWB aircraft for military transport, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 92 (5) 769-776.
- Rompokos P, Kissoon S, Roumeliotis I, Nalianda D, Nikolaidis T & Rolt A (2020) Liquefied natural gas for civil aviation, Energies, 13 (22) Article No. 5925.
- Ibrahim K, Sampath S & Nalianda D (2020) Optimal voltage and current selection for turboelectric aircraft propulsion networks, IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, 6 (4) 1625-1637.
- Sebastiampillai J, Rolt AM, Jacob F, Nalianda D & Sethi V (2019) Thermodynamic analysis of nutating disc engine topping cycles for aero-engine applications, Energy, 182 (September) 641-655.
- Block Novelo DA, Igie U & Nalianda D (2019) On-board compressor water injection for civil aircraft emission reductions: range performance with fuel burn analysis, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 67 (February) 449-463.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, MacManus D, Pilidis P & Felder J (2018) Method for simulating the performance of a boundary layer ingesting propulsion system at design and off-design, Aerospace Science and Technology, 78 (July) 312-319.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Sethi V, Kyprianidis K, Pilidis P & Singh R (2018) Assessment of an energy-efficient aircraft concept from a techno-economic perspective, Applied Energy, 221 (July) 229-238.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Pilidis P (2018) Installed performance assessment of an array of distributed propulsors ingesting boundary layer flow, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140 (7) Article No. 071203 : GTP-17-1588.
- Talluri L, Nalianda DK & Giuliani E (2018) Techno economic and environmental assessment of Flettner rotors for marine propulsion, Ocean Engineering, 154 (April) 1-15.
- Valencia E, Hidalgo V, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Singh R (2017) Discretized Miller approach to assess effects on boundary layer ingestion induced distortion, Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 30 (1) 235-248.
- Liu Y, Sun X, Sethi V, Nalianda D, Li YG & Wang L (2017) Review of modern low emissions combustion technologies for aero gas turbine engines, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 94 (October) 12-45.
- Valencia E, Liu C, Devaiah N, Laskaridis P, Gray I & Singh R (2017) Methodology for the assessment of distributed propulsion configurations with boundary layer ingestion using the discretized miller approach, International Review of Aerospace Engineering, 10 (3) 174-187.
- Igie U, Goiricelaya M, Nalianda D & Minervino O (2016) Aero engine compressor fouling effects for short- and long-haul missions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 230 (7) 1312-1324.
- Li Z, Nikolaidis T & Nalianda D (2016) Recursive least squares for online dynamic identification on gas turbine engines, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 39 (11) 2589-2596.
- Talluri L, Nalianda DK, Kyprianidis KG, Nikolaidis T & Pilidis P (2016) Techno economic and environmental assessment of wind assisted marine propulsion systems, Ocean Engineering, 121 (July) 301-311.
- Lokesh K, Sethi V, Nikolaidis T, Goodger E & Nalianda D (2015) Life cycle greenhouse gas analysis of biojet fuels with a technical investigation into their impact on jet engine performance, Biomass and Bioenergy, 77 (June) 26-44.
- Valencia EA, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Singh R (2015) Methodology to assess the performance of an aircraft concept with distributed propulsion and boundary layer ingestion using a parametric approach, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (4) 682-693.
- Nalianda D, Kyprianidis K, Sethi V & Singh R (2015) Techno-economic viability assessments of greener propulsion technology under potential environmental regulatory policy scenarios, Applied Energy, 157 (November) 35-50.
- Nalianda D & Singh R (2014) Turbo-electric distributed propulsion - opportunities, benefits and challenges, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 86 (6) 543-549.
- Giannouloudis A, Sun X, Corsar MR, Booden SJ, Singh G, Abbott D, Nalianda D & Sethi B (2021) On the development of an experimental rig for hydrogen micromix combustion testing. In: 10th European Combustion Meeting, 2021, Naples (Virtual Event), 14-15 April 2021.
- Rompokos P, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Sibilli T & Benson C (2021) Cryogenic fuel storage modelling and optimisation for aircraft applications. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2021: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, Virtual event, 7-11 June 2021.
- Rompokos P, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Isikveren AT, Senné C, Grönstedt T & Abedi H (2021) Synergistic technology combinations for future commercial aircraft using liquid hydrogen. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London: Virtual Event, 21-25 September 2020.
- Scullion C, Vouros S, Goulos I, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2021) Optimal control of a compound rotorcraft for engine performance enhancement. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London: Virtual Event, 21-25 September 2020.
- Sebastiampillai J, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Mastropierro F & Sethi V (2019) Technical and economic viability of an EIS 2050 geared open rotor. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2019), Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Stevens J, Rademaker E, Scullion C, Vouros S, van Oosten N, Miste G, Venturelli G, Nalianda D, Pachidis V & Benini E (2019) Design evaluation and performance assessment of rotorcraft technology by 2050. In: 45th European Rotorcraft Forum 2019 (ERF 2019), Warsaw, Poland, 17-20 September 2019.
- Vouros S, Goulos I, Scullion C, Nalianda D & Pachidis V (2019) Impact of wake modeling uncertainty on helicopter rotor aeroacoustic analysis. In: 45th European Rotorcraft Forum 2019 (ERF 2019), Warsaw, Poland, 17-20 September 2019.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P, Pilidis P & Singh R (2017) Performance assessment of a boundary layer ingesting distributed propulsion system at off-design. In: 53rd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2017, Atlanta, GA, 10-12 July 2017.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, Pilidis P & Singh R (2017) Economic viability assessment of NASA’s blended wing body N3-X aircraft. In: 53rd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2017, Atlanta, GA, 10-12 July 2017.
- Goldberg C, Nalianda D, MacManus DG & Pilidis P (2016) Installed performance assessment of a boundary layer ingesting distributed propulsion system at design point. In: 52nd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Propulsion and Energy Forum, 2016, Salt Lake City, Utah, 25-27 July 2016.
- Lawson C, Madani I, Seresinhe R & Nalianda D (2015) Trajectory Optimization of Airliners to Minimize Environmental Impact. In: SAE 2015 AeroTech Congress & Exhibition, Seattle, Washington, 22-24 September 2015.
- Jun Wei T, Nalianda D, Laskaridis P & Singh R (2015) Turboelectric distributed propulsion thrust vectoring. In: The 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines (ISABE) 2015, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Lokesh K, Sethi V, Nikolaidis T & Karumbaiah D (2014) System level performance and emissions evaluation of renewable fuels for jet engines. In: ASME 2014 Gas Turbine India Conference, New Delhi, 15-17 December 2014.
- Pilidis P, Sethi V, Singh R, Di Lorenzo G, Nalianda Karumbaiah D, Pervier H & Marzal Espi R (2011) Powerplant selection, depolyment and asset management: The TERA (TECHNOECONOMIC ENVIRONMENTAL RISK ANALYSIS). In: 24th International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostics Engineering Management (COMADEM2011), Stavanger, Norway, 30 May - 1 June 2011.