Contact Dr Dawid Hanak
Areas of expertise
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Energy and the Environment
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Process Systems Engineering
I help organisations achieve net-zero emissions and green energy transition via engineering consultancy. Reach out to learn how I can help to meet your engineering and training needs.
Dr Dawid Hanak is a Senior Lecturer in Energy and Process Engineering at Cranfield University. He has received a B.Eng. degree (with distinction) in Environmental and Energy Engineering, and the M.Eng. degree in Power Engineering from Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland in 2012 and 2013, respectively. He also received the M.Sc. degree in Carbon Capture and Transport, and the Ph.D. degree in Carbon Capture Systems Engineering from Cranfield University, Cranfield, UK in 2013 and 2016, respectively.
Dr Hanak has held research positions at Cranfield University, and has been leading process modelling activities in a portfolio of research projects in the areas of Energy Systems and Carbon Capture and Storage. His research interest includes low-emission power generation and industrial processes, sustainable energy systems, fossil fuel power plants retrofits with CO2 capture systems, probabilistic techno-economic performance assessment, and reliability analysis. His expertise is in process simulation and modelling of power generation and CO2 capture systems, and statistical analysis of engineering data.
I am currently accepting PhD and Master by Research applications in process engineering, chemical engineering, energy engineering, with a particular inclination on carbon capture, low-carbon power generation and industrial processes.
I aspire to bring a step-change in fighting climate emergency by academic leadership in research and teaching, and by developing future energy leaders.
I contributed towards the successful delivery of research and commercial projects worth more than £7.5m since 2016, driving delivery of the projects worth of more than £1m as a principal investigator or co-investigator. I am responsible for project development, fundraising, project management and delivery, including risk and cost management and team development.
I developed the Advanced Process Engineering team at Cranfield University that specialises in net-zero processes for energy and process industries, including industrial decarbonisation. I act not only as their line manager or supervisor, but I mentor my team members to support their career growth and impact.
In my research programme, which so far has been presented in 43 articles in prestigious journals (h-index of 20), I develop and assess the feasibility of innovative processes for net-zero energy and process industries. This includes carbon capture, direct air capture, hydrogen production, clean energy, waste heat recovery, thermochemical conversion systems, polygeneration and advanced fuels production.
I work together with businesses and entrepreneurs to demonstrate the feasibility of innovative processes that will enable meeting net-zero emission targets by 2050. I demonstrated technical and economic feasibility of advanced sorbents for CO2 capture and innovative process for simultaneous direct air capture and power generation. Both processes were awarded by the Engineer and Rushlight.
I lead the innovative MSc in Advanced Process Engineering that develops future energy leaders and equips them with relevant skills to facilitate the net-zero transition in international energy and industrial sectors. I derived the 3-year strategy for the course and now lead its implementation.
I am committed to ensuring high student satisfaction via career mentoring and pastoral care. I also mentor and support the development of my tutor group comprising students from process engineering, chemical engineering and mechanical engineering backgrounds.
In my teaching practice, I drive the implementation of the innovation in course design and assessment by promoting the transfer of research into the curriculum and applied learning.
I lecture and deliver practical workshops in the areas including Management for Technology, Process Simulation and Design, Risk and Reliability Engineering, and Energy from Biomass.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Origen Power Ltd
- Cambridge Engineering
Analysis & Design Ltd (CEAD)
- Epicam Ltd
- Cambridge Cleantech
- Transvac Ltd
- Aurelius Ltd
- EGB Engineering
- Changeover Technologies
- Nordic DAC Group
Articles In Journals
- Santos MP, Manovic V & Hanak DP (2021) Unlocking the potential of pulp and paper industry to achieve carbon-negative emissions via calcium looping retrofit, Journal of Cleaner Production, 280, Part 1 (January) Article No. 124431. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13060382
- Matuszny K, Borhani TN, Nabavi SA & Hanak DP (2020) Integration of solid-oxide fuel cells and absorption refrigeration for efficient combined cooling, heat and power production, Clean Energy, 4 (4) 328-348.
- Borhani TN, Nabavi SA, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2020) Thermodynamic models applied to CO2 absorption modelling, Reviews in Chemical Engineering, Available online 09 March 2020.
- Hanak DP, Michalski S & Manovic V (2020) Supercritical CO2 cycle for coal-fired power plant based on calcium looping combustion, Thermal Science and Engineering Progress, Available online 15 September 2020, Article No. 100723.
- Wei X, Manovic V & Hanak D (2020) Techno-economic assessment of coal- or biomass-fired oxy-combustion power plants with supercritical carbon dioxide cycle, Energy Conversion and Management, 221 (October) Article No. 113143.
- Michalski S, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2020) Advanced power cycles for coal-fired power plants based on calcium looping combustion: a techno-economic feasibility assessment, Applied Energy, 269 (July) Article No. 114954. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12173625
- Khallaghi N, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2020) Techno-economic evaluation of near-zero CO2 emission gas-fired power generation technologies: A review, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 74 (February) Article No. 103095.
- Zulkafli NI, Hanak DP & Kopanos GM (2020) Efficient decomposition strategy for scheduling of multistage production system and combined heat and power, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 133 Article No. 106634.
- Murele OC, Zulkafli NI, Kopanos G, Hart P & Hanak DP (2019) Integrating biomass into energy supply chain networks, Journal of Cleaner Production, 248 (March) Article No. 119246.
- Khallaghi N, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Gas-fired chemical looping combustion with supercritical CO2 cycle, Applied Energy, 249 (September) 237-244.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Linking renewables and fossil fuels with carbon capture via energy storage for a sustainable energy future, Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, 14 (3) 453-459. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8973440
- Morona L, Erans M & Hanak DP (2019) Effect of seawater, aluminate cement and alumina-rich spinel on pelletised CaO-based sorbents for calcium looping, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 58 (27) 11910-11919.
- Khallaghi N, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Staged oxy-fuel natural gas combined cycle, Applied Thermal Engineering, 153 (May) 761-767.
- Bailera M, Hanak DP, Lisbona P & Romeo LM (2019) Techno-economic feasibility of power to gas–oxy-fuel boiler hybrid system under uncertainty, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 44 (19) 9505-9516.
- Michalski S, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Techno-economic feasibility assessment of calcium looping combustion using commercial technology appraisal tools, Journal of Cleaner Production, 219 (May) 540-551. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7700915
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Combined heat and power generation with lime production for direct air capture, Energy Conversion and Management, 160 (March) 455-466. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5818083
- Diglio G, Bareschino P, Mancusi E, Pepe F, Montagnaro F, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Feasibility of CaO/CuO/NiO sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming integrated with solid-oxide fuel cell for near-zero-CO2 emissions cogeneration system, Applied Energy, 230 (November) 241-256.
- Osagie E, Biliyok C, Di Lorenzo G, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Techno-economic evaluation of the 2-amino-2-methyl-1-propanol (AMP) process for CO 2 capture from natural gas combined cycle power plant, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 70 (March) 45-56.
- Hanak DP, Michalski S & Manovic V (2018) From post-combustion carbon capture to sorption-enhanced hydrogen production: A state-of-the-art review of carbonate looping process feasibility, Energy Conversion and Management, 177 (December) 428-452. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7128053
- Onyebuchi VE, Kolios A, Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2018) A systematic review of key challenges of CO2 transport via pipelines, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81 (2) 2563-2583.
- Hanak DP, Erans M, Nabavi SA, Jeremias M, Romeo LM & Manovic V (2018) Technical and economic feasibility evaluation of calcium looping with no CO2 recirculation, Chemical Engineering Journal, 335 (March) 763-773.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Techno-economic feasibility assessment of CO2 capture from coal-fired power plants using molecularly imprinted polymer, Fuel, 214 (February) 512-520.
- Diglio G, Hanak DP, Bareschino P, Pepe F, Montagnaro F & Manovic V (2018) Modelling of sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming in a fixed bed reactor network integrated with fuel cell, Applied Energy, 210 (January) 1-5.
- Diglio G, Bareschino P, Mancusi E, Pepe F, Hanak D & Manovic V (2018) Packed bed sorption enhanced methane reforming on CaO/CuO/Al2O3 (NiO) catalyst, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 43 1389-1394.
- Hanak DH & Manovic V (2017) Calcium looping combustion for high-efficiency low-emission power generation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 161 (September) 245-255. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5032223
- Hanak DH, Powell D & Manovic V (2017) Techno-economic analysis of oxy-combustion coal-fired power plant with cryogenic oxygen storage, Applied Energy, 191 (April) 193-203.
- Hanak DP, Jenkins B, Kruger T & Manovic V (2017) High-efficiency negative-carbon emission power generation from integrated solid-oxide fuel cell and calciner, Applied Energy, 205 (November) 1189-1201.
- Diglio G, Hanak DP, Bareschino P, Mancusi E, Pepe F, Montagnaro F & Manovic V (2017) Techno-economic analysis of sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming in a fixed bed reactor network integrated with fuel cell, Journal of Power Sources, 364 (October) 41-51.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2017) Economic feasibility of calcium looping under uncertainty, Applied Energy, 208 (December) 691-702.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2016) Calcium looping with inherent energy storage for decarbonisation of coal-fired power plant, Energy and Environmental Science, 9 (3) 971-983.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2016) Calcium looping with supercritical CO2 cycle for decarbonisation of coal-fired power plant, Energy, 102 (May) 343-353.
- Hanak DP, Kolios AJ & Manovic V (2016) Comparison of probabilistic performance of calcium looping and chemical solvent scrubbing retrofits for CO2 capture from coal-fired power plant, Applied Energy, 172 (June) 323-336.
- Hanak, DP, Biliyok C, Anthony, E, Manovic & V (2016) Evaluation of a calcium looping CO2 capture plant retrofit to a coal-fired power plant., Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 38 2115-2120.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Efficiency improvements for the coal-fired power plant retrofit with CO2 capture plant using chilled ammonia process, Applied Energy, 151 (August) 258-272.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C, Anthony EJ & Manovic V (2015) Modelling and comparison of calcium looping and chemical solvent scrubbing retrofits for CO2 capture from coal-fired power plant, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 42 226-236.
- Hanak DP, Anthony EJ & Manovic V (2015) A review of developments in pilot-plant testing and modelling of calcium looping process for CO2 capture from power generation systems, Energy and Environmental Science, 2015 (8) 2199-2249.
- Biliyok C, Canepa R & Hanak DP (2015) Investigation of Alternative Strategies for Integrating Post-combustion CO2 Capture to a Natural Gas Combined Cycle Power Plant, Energy and Fuels, 29 (7) 4624-4633.
- Hanak DP, Kolios AJ, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Probabilistic performance assessment of a coal-fired power plant, Applied Energy, 139 350-364.
- Erans M, Hanak DP, Mir J, Anthony EJ & Manovic V (2015) Process modelling and techno-economic analysis of natural gas combined cycle integrated with calcium looping, Thermal Science, 20 (Supplement 1) 59-67.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Evaluation and Modeling of Part-Load Performance of Coal-Fired Power Plant with Postcombustion CO2 Capture, Energy and Fuels, 29 (6) 3833-3844.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C, Yeung H & Bialecki R (2014) Heat integration and exergy analysis for a supercritical high-ash coal-fired power plant integrated with a post-combustion carbon capture process, Fuel, 134 (October) 126-139.