Contact Dr Dawid Hanak
Areas of expertise
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Energy and the Environment
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Process Systems Engineering
Dr Dawid P. Hanak is currently a Senior Lecturer in Energy and Process Engineering at Cranfield University. He has received a B.Eng. degree (with distinction) in Environmental and Energy Engineering, and the M.Eng. degree in Power Engineering from Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland in 2012 and 2013, respectively. He also received the M.Sc. degree in Carbon Capture and Transport, and the Ph.D. degree in Carbon Capture Systems Engineering from Cranfield University, Cranfield, UK in 2013 and 2016, respectively. Dr Hanak has held research positions at Cranfield University, and has been leading process modelling activities in a portfolio of research projects in the areas of Energy Systems and Carbon Capture and Storage. His research interest includes low-emission power generation and industrial processes, sustainable energy systems, fossil fuel power plants retrofits with CO2 capture systems, probabilistic techno-economic performance assessment, and reliability analysis. His expertise is in process simulation and modelling of power generation and CO2 capture systems, and statistical analysis of engineering data.
I am currently accepting PhD and Master by Research applications in process engineering, chemical engineering, energy engineering, with a particular inclination on carbon capture, low-carbon power generation and industrial processes.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Origen Power Ltd
- Cambridge Engineering
Analysis & Design Ltd (CEAD)
- Epicam Ltd
- Cambridge Cleantech
- Transvac Ltd
- Aurelius Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Zulkafli NI, Hanak DP & Kopanos GM (2020) Efficient decomposition strategy for scheduling of multistage production system and combined heat and power, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 133 Article No. 106634.
- Murele OC, Zulkafli NI, Kopanos G, Hart P & Hanak DP (2019) Integrating biomass into energy supply chain networks, Journal of Cleaner Production, Available online 13 November 2019, Article No. 119246.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Linking renewables and fossil fuels with carbon capture via energy storage for a sustainable energy future, Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, Available online 19 December 2019. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8973440
- Bailera M, Hanak DP, Lisbona P & Romeo LM (2019) Techno-economic feasibility of power to gas–oxy-fuel boiler hybrid system under uncertainty, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 44 (19) 9505-9516.
- Khallaghi N, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Staged oxy-fuel natural gas combined cycle, Applied Thermal Engineering, 153 (May) 761-767.
- Morona L, Erans M & Hanak DP (2019) Effect of seawater, aluminate cement and alumina-rich spinel on pelletised CaO-based sorbents for calcium looping, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 58 (27) 11910-11919.
- Khallaghi N, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Gas-fired chemical looping combustion with supercritical CO2 cycle, Applied Energy, 249 (September) 237-244.
- Michalski S, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2019) Techno-economic feasibility assessment of calcium looping combustion using commercial technology appraisal tools, Journal of Cleaner Production, 219 (May) 540-551. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7700915
- Diglio G, Bareschino P, Mancusi E, Pepe F, Montagnaro F, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Feasibility of CaO/CuO/NiO sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming integrated with solid-oxide fuel cell for near-zero-CO2 emissions cogeneration system, Applied Energy, 230 (November) 241-256.
- Osagie E, Biliyok C, Di Lorenzo G, Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Techno-economic evaluation of the 2-amino-2-methyl-1-propanol (AMP) process for CO 2 capture from natural gas combined cycle power plant, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 70 (March) 45-56.
- Hanak DP, Michalski S & Manovic V (2018) From post-combustion carbon capture to sorption-enhanced hydrogen production: A state-of-the-art review of carbonate looping process feasibility, Energy Conversion and Management, 177 (December) 428-452. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7128053
- Onyebuchi VE, Kolios A, Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2018) A systematic review of key challenges of CO2 transport via pipelines, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81 (2) 2563-2583.
- Hanak DP, Erans M, Nabavi SA, Jeremias M, Romeo LM & Manovic V (2018) Technical and economic feasibility evaluation of calcium looping with no CO2 recirculation, Chemical Engineering Journal, 335 (March) 763-773.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Techno-economic feasibility assessment of CO2 capture from coal-fired power plants using molecularly imprinted polymer, Fuel, 214 (February) 512-520.
- Diglio G, Hanak DP, Bareschino P, Pepe F, Montagnaro F & Manovic V (2018) Modelling of sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming in a fixed bed reactor network integrated with fuel cell, Applied Energy, 210 (January) 1-5.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2018) Combined heat and power generation with lime production for direct air capture, Energy Conversion and Management, 160 (March) 455-466. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5818083
- Diglio G, Bareschino P, Mancusi E, Pepe F, Hanak D & Manovic V (2018) Packed bed sorption enhanced methane reforming on CaO/CuO/Al2O3 (NiO) catalyst, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 43 1389-1394.
- Hanak DH, Powell D & Manovic V (2017) Techno-economic analysis of oxy-combustion coal-fired power plant with cryogenic oxygen storage, Applied Energy, 191 (April) 193-203.
- Hanak DH & Manovic V (2017) Calcium looping combustion for high-efficiency low-emission power generation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 161 245-255. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5032223
- Hanak DP, Jenkins B, Kruger T & Manovic V (2017) High-efficiency negative-carbon emission power generation from integrated solid-oxide fuel cell and calciner, Applied Energy, 205 (November) 1189-1201.
- Diglio G, Hanak DP, Bareschino P, Mancusi E, Pepe F, Montagnaro F & Manovic V (2017) Techno-economic analysis of sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming in a fixed bed reactor network integrated with fuel cell, Journal of Power Sources, 364 (October) 41-51.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2017) Economic feasibility of calcium looping under uncertainty, Applied Energy, 208 (December) 691-702.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V. (2016) Calcium looping with inherent energy storage for decarbonisation of coal-fired power plant, Energy and Environmental Science, 9 (3) 971-983.
- Hanak DP & Manovic V (2016) Calcium looping with supercritical CO2 cycle for decarbonisation of coal-fired power plant, Energy, 102 (May) 343-353.
- Hanak DP, Kolios AJ & Manovic V (2016) Comparison of probabilistic performance of calcium looping and chemical solvent scrubbing retrofits for CO2 capture from coal-fired power plant, Applied Energy, 172 (June) 323-336.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak, DP, Biliyok C, Anthony, E, Manovic & V (2016) Evaluation of a calcium looping CO2 capture plant retrofit to a coal-fired power plant., Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 38 2115-2120.
- Hanak DP, Anthony EJ & Manovic V (2015) A review of developments in pilot-plant testing and modelling of calcium looping process for CO2 capture from power generation systems, Energy and Environmental Science, 2015 (8) 2199-2249.
- Biliyok C, Canepa R & Hanak DP (2015) Investigation of Alternative Strategies for Integrating Post-combustion CO2 Capture to a Natural Gas Combined Cycle Power Plant, Energy and Fuels, 29 (7) 4624-4633.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C, Anthony EJ & Manovic V (2015) Modelling and comparison of calcium looping and chemical solvent scrubbing retrofits for CO2 capture from coal-fired power plant, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 42 226-236.
- Hanak DP, Kolios AJ, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Probabilistic performance assessment of a coal-fired power plant, Applied Energy, 139 350-364.
- Erans M, Hanak DP, Mir J, Anthony EJ & Manovic V (2015) Process modelling and techno-economic analysis of natural gas combined cycle integrated with calcium looping, Thermal Science, 20 (Supplement 1) 59-67.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Efficiency improvements for the coal-fired power plant retrofit with CO2 capture plant using chilled ammonia process, Applied Energy, 151 258-272.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Evaluation and Modeling of Part-Load Performance of Coal-Fired Power Plant with Postcombustion CO2 Capture, Energy and Fuels, 29 (6) 3833-3844.
- Hanak DP, Biliyok C, Yeung H & Bialecki R (2014) Heat integration and exergy analysis for a supercritical high-ash coal-fired power plant integrated with a post-combustion carbon capture process, Fuel, 134 (October) 126-139.