David's main focus is on cockpit HMI design, surveillance systems, flight operations and safety, trajectory optimisation and automation / autonomous systems. He also has significant experience in flight simulation, electronic systems, safety-critical applications and flight test. David has worked with the industrial primes in collaborative research for over fifteen years in the area of avionics for large transport aircraft and today he is also an air accident investigator.
David obtained a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Malta in 1991; a Master's degree in Electronic Systems Design in 1995 and a Doctoral Degree in 2001 both from the College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University.
He worked as an engineering trainee at ST Microelectronics (Malta) Ltd. during the period 1986-1991 whilst studying for the Bachelor's degree, focussing primarily on the development of procedures for chemical analysis of incoming material using spectroscopy, reliability analysis in front-end processes and quality assurance activities. Also worked as the production engineer in the testing stage of production for the company's digital line the period 1991-1992.
David joined the University of Malta as an academic in 1992 to teach electronics. In the period up to 2003, he primarily taught undergraduate students in a broad range of subjects in electronics and computer architecture.
In 2004 David joined Cranfield University as an academic to teach Avionics systems. He has taught different subjects ranging from flight stability and control to aeronautical radio systems. He has also been principal investigator of a number of EC-funded projects, including the Clean Sky JTI.
Articles In Journals
- Theuma K, Chircop K, Gauci J & Zammit-Mangion D (2019) Implementation and evaluation of a multimodal filter for aircraft ground operations., Journal of Air Transportation, 27 (4).
- Zammit B & Zammit-Mangion D (2018) On-board energy recovery assistance for time-constrained descents, Journal of Aircraft, 55 (3) 918-928.
- Sammut A. Zammit-Mangion D (2016) Runway conflict alerting during take-off and landing: Advisory or Directive?, The Aeronautical Journal, 118 (1205) 713-741.
- Chircop K, Gardi A, Zammit-Mangion D & Sabatini R (2016) A new computational technique for the generation of optimised aircraft trajectories., Nonlinear Engineering, 6 (4) 249-262.
- Celis C, Sethi V, Zammit-Mangion D, Singh R & Pilidis P (2014) Theoretical optimal trajectories for reducing the environmental impact of commercial aircraft operations, Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management, 6 (1) 29-42.
- Micallef M, Chircop K, Zammit-Mangion D & Sammut A (2014) Revised approach procedures to support optimal descents into Malta international airport, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 5 (4) 461-475.
- Sabatini R, Richardson MA, Cantiello M, Toscano M, Fiorini P, Zammit-Mangion D & Gardi A (2013) Experimental flight testing of night vision imaging systems in military fighter aircraft, Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 42 (1) 1-16.
- Pervier H, Nalianda D, Espi R, Sethi V, Pilidis P, Zammit-Mangion D, Rogero J-M & Entz R (2011) Application of genetic algorithm for preliminary trajectory optimization, SAE International Journal of Aerospace, 4 (2) 973-987.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2008) Simplified algorithm to model aircraft acceleration during takeoff, Journal of Aircraft, 45 (4) 1090-1097.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2008) Design, integration, and preliminary assessment of a takeoff monitor display, Journal of Aircraft, 45 (2) 371-380.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2007) Improved algorithm for takeoff monitoring, Journal of Aircraft, 44 (2) 386-392.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2006) Evaluation of takeoff performance monitoring algorithm in large jet transport operations, Journal of Aircraft, 43 (1) 201-206.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2003) The role of take-off performance monitoring in future integrated aircraft safety systems, IEE Colloquium (Digest), 3-10203 7-15.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Madani I (2018) A study of a trajectory optimization of a short haul flight. In: 2018 Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference AIAA Aviation Forum, Atlanta, Georgia, 25-29 June 2018.
- Spiteri A, Chircop K, Zammit-Mangion D, Muscat A, Falzon K, Degiorgio J & Bezzina F (2016) Concept of operations of an ATC tool for trajectory optimization. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Daejeon, 25-30 September 2016.
- Filippone E, Di Vito V, Taurino D, Dokic J, Zammit-Mangion D & Gauci J (2015) RPAS – ATM integration demonstration – real-time simulation results. In: 15th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, 2015, Dallas, TX, 22-26 June 2015.
- Grixti S, Lopez Trecastro J, Sammut N & Zammit-Mangion D (2015) A robustness testing campaign for IMA-SP partitioning kernels. In: DAta Systems in Aerospace, 2015, Barcelona, 19-21 May 2015.
- Cauchi N, Theuma K, Gauci J, Zammit C & Zammit-Mangion D (2015) A decision support tool for weather and terrain avoidance during departure. In: 2015 IEEE/AIAA 34th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), Prague, 13-17 September 2015.
- Gauci J, Cauchi N, Theuma K, Muscat A & Zammit-Mangion D (2015) Design and evaluation of a touchscreen concept for pilot interaction with avionic systems. In: 2015 IEEE/AIAA 34th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), Prague, 13-17 September 2015.
- Borg N, Debono CJ & Zammit-Mangion D (2015) A single octave SIFT algorithm for image feature extraction in resource limited hardware systems. In: 2014 IEEE Visual Communications and Image Processing Conference, Valletta, 7-9 October 2014.
- Dimech E & Zammit-Mangion D (2014) A vision system for taxi in low visibility conditions. In: 31st European Association for Aviation Psychology Conference (EAAP31), Valletta, 22-26 September 2014.
- Zammit C and Zammit-Mangion D (2014) An enhanced automatic taxi control algorithm for fixed wing aircraft. In: 52nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting - AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition, SciTech 2014, National Harbor, Maryland, 13-17 January 2014.
- Zammit C & Zammit-Mangion D (2014) A control technique for automatic taxi in fixed wing aircraft. In: 52nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting - AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition, SciTech 2014, National Harbor, Maryland, 13-17 January 2014.
- Zammit B & Zammit-Mangion D (2014) On-board energy recovery assistance for time-constrained descents. In: 2014 IEEE/AIAA 33rd Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), Colorado Springs, 5-9 October 2014.
- Micallef M, Chircop K, Zammit-Mangion D, Sammut A, Xuereb M & Muscat A (2014) A quasi-real-time ground-based trajectory optimization tool for greener operations. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Cooper MA, Lawson CP, Quaglia D, Zammit-Mangion D & Sabatini R (2012) Towards trajectory prediction and optimisation for energy efficiency of an aircraft with electrical and hydraulic actuation systems. In: 28th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Brisbane, 23 September 2012.
- Gu W, Navaratne R, Quaglia D, Yu Y, Madani I, Sethi V, Jia H, Chircop K, Sabatini R & Zammit-Mangion D (2012) Towards the development of a multi-disciplinary flight trajectory optimization tool: GATAC. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2012), Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.
- Gauci J & Zammit-Mangion D (2009) Obstacle detection around aircraft on ramps and taxiways through the use of computer vision. In: AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference 2009, Chicago, Illinois, 10-13 August 2009.
- Gauci J & Zammit-Mangion D (2008) Setup considerations for calibration of a stereovision system for long range obstacle detection. In: Communications, Control and Signal Processing, 2008. ISCCSP 2008. 3rd International Symposium on, St Julians, 12-14 March 2008.
- Sammut A, Zammit B & Zammit-Mangion D (2007) A traffic surveillance function and conflict detection method for runway manoeuvres. In: 7th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2007, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 18-20 September 2007.
- Zammit-Mangion D, Zammit B & Sammut A (2006) A performance-based method for improving safety during runway manoeuvres. In: AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibition, 2006, Colorado, 21-24 August 2006.
- Sammut A, Zammit B & Zammit-Mangion D (2006) A traffic movement monitoring computer for pre-emptive runway conflict detection. In: AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibition, 2006, Colorado, 21 August 2006.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2005) Design and integration of a take-off monitor display. In: AIAA 2005 Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibit, San Francisco, CA, 15-18 August 2005.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2005) A simplified algorithm to model aircraft acceleration during take-off. In: AIAA 2005 Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference and Exhibit - Guidance, Navigation, and Control and Co-located Conferences, San Francisco, CA, 15-18 August 2005.
- Zammit-Mangion D & Eshelby M (2004) An improved algorithm for take-off monitoring. In: 4th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations (ATIO) Forum, 2004, Chicago, IL, 20-22 September 2004.
- Jedruszek M, Gauci J, Muscat A & Zammit-Mangion D A new HMI for aircraft guidance using touch technologies. In: 31st European Association for Aviation Psychology Conference (EAAP31), Valletta, 22-26 September 2014.
- Theuma K & Zammit-Mangion D An image processing algorithm for ground navigation of aircraft. In: 3rd CEAS Specialist Conference on Guidance, Navigation and Control, 2015, Toulouse, 13-15 April 2015.