Contact Dr David Parsons
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Digital Agriculture
- Water Science & Engineering
- BSc Mathematics, University of Leeds 1980
- PhD Pure Mathematics (The Centre of the Second Dual of a Commutative Semigroup Algebra), University of Sheffield, 1984
- National Institute of Agricultural Engineering/Silsoe Research Institute, 1983-2005
Dr David Parsons is a mathematician specialising in the application of operational research approaches, such as system modelling and optimisation, to decision making and risk in the management of natural resources. He has worked on a wide range of aspects of crop and livestock agriculture including:
- Crop protection decision support systems
- Livestock feeding systems for poultry and pigs
- Quantitative risk assessment for salmonella in chickens and E.coli in cattle and sheep
- Impacts of climate change on grassland and livestock
- Slurry treatment systems Automatic milking systems
- Sampling strategies for mycotoxins in stored grain
Recent and current projects have extended these interest into wider environmental issues, particularly related to water, including:
- Co-investigator on the agricultural aspecst of the Managing the Risks, Impacts and Uncertainties of drought and water Scarcity (MaRIUS) project within the NERC Droughts and Water Scarcity programme (NE/L010186/1)
- The Carbon Brainprint - assessing the impact of university activities on reducing the carbon footprints of other organisations (Highly Commended in the Green Gown Awards 2011)
- Probabilistic assessment of human exposure to substances in drinking water
- Implications of EU environmental and pesticide legislation for water companies (2 EngD students)
- Robustness and reliability in water networks (2 PhD students)
- Course director for Environmental Management for Business MSc
- Natural Environment Research Council
- UK Water Industry Research
- Anglian Water
- Drinking Water Inspectorate
- Food Standards Agency
Articles In Journals
- Demmers TGM, Cao Y, Gauss S, Lowe JC, Parsons DJ & Wathes CM (2018) Neural predictive control of broiler chicken and pig growth, Biosystems Engineering, Early online.
- McGinlay J, Parsons DJ, Morris J, Graves A, Hubatova M, Bradbury RB & Bullock JM (2018) Leisure activities and social factors influence the generation of cultural ecosystem service benefits, Ecosystem Services, 31 (Pt. C) 468-480. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.5217337
- McGinlay J, Parsons DJ, Morris J, Hubatova M, Graves A, Bradbury RB & Bullock JM (2017) Do charismatic species groups generate more cultural ecosystem service benefits?, Ecosystem Services, 27, Part A (October) 15-24. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5217337
- François C, Gondran N, Nicolas J-P & Parsons DJ (2017) Environmental assessment of urban mobility: combining life cycle assessment with land-use and transport interaction modelling – application to Lyon (France), Ecological Indicators, 72 (January 2017) 597-604.
- Garnett K & Parsons DJ (2016) Multi-case review of the application of the precautionary principle in European Union Law and Case Law, Risk Analysis, 37 (3) 502-516.
- Chatterton J, Parsons D, Nicholls J, Longhurst P, Bernon M, Palmer A, Brennan F, Kolios A, Wilson I, Ishiyama E, Clements-Croome D, Elmualim A, Darby H, Yearley T & Davies G (2015) Carbon brainprint - An estimate of the intellectual contribution of research institutions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 96 74-81.
- Dolan T, Howsam P, Parsons DJ, Whelan MJ & Varga L (2014) Identifying Adaptation Options and Constraints: The Role of Agronomist Knowledge in Catchment Management Strategy, Water Resources Management, 28 (2) 511-526.
- Parsons DJ, Angus A, Brawn M & Morris J (2014) A decision support tool for public rights of way officers based on the analytic hierarchy process, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 65 (9) 1387-1395.
- Dolan T, Howsam P, Parsons DJ & Whelan MJ (2014) Impact of European Water Framework Directive Article 7 on Drinking Water Directive compliance for pesticides: challenges of a prevention-led approach, Water Policy, 16 (2) 280-297.
- Kriechbaumer T, Angus A, Parsons DJ & Rivas Casado M (2014) An improved wavelet-ARIMA approach for forecasting metal prices, Resources Policy, 39 (March) 32-41.
- Dolan T, Howsam P, Parsons DJ & Whelan MJ (2013) Is the EU drinking water directive standard for pesticides in drinking water consistent with the precautionary principle?, Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (10) 4999-5006.
- Dolan T, Howsam P & Parsons DJ (2012) Diffuse pesticide pollution of drinking water sources: impact of legislation and UK responses, Water Policy, 14 (4) 680-693.
- Benjamin LR, Milne AE, Parsons DJ & Lutman PJW (2010) A model to simulate yield losses in winter wheat caused by weeds, for use in a weed management decision support system, Crop Protection, 29 (11) 1264-1271.
- Rivas Casado M, Parsons DJ, Magan N, Weightman RM, Battilani P & Pietri A (2010) A short geostatistical study of the three-dimensional spatial structure of fumonisins in stored maize, World Mycotoxin Journal, 3 (1) 95-103.
- Benjamin LR, Milne AE, Lutman PJW, Parsons DJ, Cussans J & Storkey J (2009) Using stochastic dynamic programming to support weed management decisions over a rotation, Weed Research, 49 (2) 207-216.
- Morris J, Colombo S, Angus A, Stacey KF, Parsons DJ, Brawn M & Hanley N (2009) The Value of Public Rights of Way: A Choice Experiment in Bedfordshire, England, Landscape and Urban Planning, 93 (1) 83-91.
- Parsons DJ, Benjamin LR, Clarke J, Ginsburg D, Mayes A, Milne AE & Wilkinson DJ (2009) Weed Manager-A model-based decision support system for weed management in arable crops, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 65 (2) 155-167.
- Rivas Casado M, Parsons DJ, Weightman RM, Magan N & Origgi S (2009) Geostatistical analysis of the spatial distribution of mycotoxin concentration in bulk cereals, Food Additives and Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure and Risk Assessment, 26 (6) 867-873.
- Rivas Casado M, Parsons DJ, Magan N, Weightman RM & Origgi S (2009) Modelling a two-dimensional spatial distribution of mycotoxin concentration in bulk commodities to design effective and efficient sample selection strategies, Food Additives and Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure and Risk Assessment, 26 (9) 1298-1305.
- Colombo S, Angus A, Morris J, Parsons DJ, Brawn M, Stacey KF & Hanley N (2009) A comparison of citizen and "expert" preferences using an attribute-based approach to choice, Ecological Economics, 68 (11) 2834-2841.
- Milne AE, Paveley N, Audsley E & Parsons DJ (2007) A model of the effect of fungicides on disease-induced yield loss, for use in wheat disease management decision support systems, Annals of Applied Biology, 151 (1) 113-125.
- Stacey KF, Parsons DJ, Christiansen KH & Burton CH (2007) Assessing the effect of interventions on the risk of cattle and sheep carrying Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the abattoir using a stochastic model of the transmission of E. coli O157:H7 on the farm, Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 79 (1) 32-45.
- Parsons DJ, Green DM, Schofield CP & Whittemore CT (2007) Real-time control of pig growth through an integrated management system, Biosystems Engineering, 96 (2) 257-266.
- King JM, Parsons DJ, Turnpenny JR, Nyangaga J, Bakari P & Wathes CM (2006) Modelling energy metabolism of Friesians in Kenya smallholdings shows how heat stress and energy deficit constrain milk yield and cow replacement rate, Animal Science, 82 (5) 705-716.
- Parsons DJ, Orton TG, De Souza J, Moore A, Jones R & Dodd CER (2005) A comparison of three modelling approaches for quantitative risk assessment using the case study of Salmonella spp. in poultry meat., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 98 (1) 35-51.
- Parsons David J & Te Beest D (2004) Optimising Fungicide Applications on Winter Wheat using Genetic Algorithms., Biosystems Engineering, 88 (4) 401-410.
- White RP, Schofield CP, Green DM, Parsons DJ & Whittemore CT (2004) The effectiveness of a Visual Image Analysis (VIA) system for monitoring the performance of growing finishing pigs., Animal Science, 78 (Part 3) 409-418.
- Stacey KF, Parsons DJ, Frost AR, Fisher C, Filmer D & Fothergill A (2004) An Automatic Growth and Nutrition Control System for Broiler Production, Biosystems Engineering, 89 (3) 363-371.
- Frost AF, Parsons DJ, Stacey KF, Robertson AP, Welch SK, Filmer D & Fothergill A (2003) Progress towards the development of an integrated management system for broiler chicken production, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 39 (3) 227-240.
- Parsons DJ, Armstrong AC, Turnpenny JR, Matthews AM, Cooper KC & Clark JA (2001) Integrated models of livestock systems for climate change studies. 1. Grazing systems., Global Change Biology, 7 (1) 93-112.
- Turnpenny JR, Parsons DJ, Armstrong AC, Clark JA, Cooper KC & Matthews AM (2001) Integrated models of livestock systems for climate change studies. 2. Intensive systems., Global Change Biology, 7 (2) 163-170.
- Darby-Dowman K, Barker S, Audsley E & Parsons DJ (2000) A two-stage stochastic programming with recourse model for determining robust planting plans in horticulture, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 51 (1) 83-89.
- Cooper K & Parsons DJ (1999) An economic analysis of automatic milking using a simulation model, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 73 (3) 311-321.
- Parsons DJ (1999) The financial impact of fully automatic milking, Farm Management- Farm Management Association then Centre of Management in Agriculture, 7 (9) 429-433.
- Cooper K & Parsons DJ (1998) A simulation model of an automatic milking system applying different management strategies, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 69 (1) 25-33.
- Parsons DJ (1998) Optimising silage harvesting plans in a grass and grazing simulation using the revised simplex method and a genetic algorithm, Agricultural Systems, 56 (1) 29-44.
- Cooper K, Parsons DJ & Demmers T (1998) A thermal balance model for livestock buildings for use in climate change studies, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 69 (1) 43-52.
- Parsons DJ (1994) Information technology in agricultural enterprises, Outlook On Agriculture, 23 (4) 269-273.
- Parsons DJ & Randle DG (1993) A message system to integrate diverse programs and databases in a farm decision support system, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 8 (2) 117-127.
- Parsons DJ (1991) Modelling gas flows in a silage clamp after opening, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 50 (3) 209-218.
- Parsons DJ (1988) An initial economic assessment of fully automatic milking of dairy cows, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 40 (3) 199-214.
- Parsons DJ & Hoxey RP (1988) A technique for measuring the permeability of silage at low pressure gradients, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 40 (4) 303-307.
- Parsons DJ & Williams AG (1987) A mathematical model of bacterial growth in aerated pig slurry during anaerobic storage, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 38 (3) 173-181.
- Parsons DJ (1986) The economics of anaerobic treatment of dairy cow slurry, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 35 (4) 259-276.
- Parsons DJ (1985) Abelian semigroups whose Stone Cech compactifications have left ideal decompositions, Cambridge Philosophical Society. Mathematical Proceedings, 97 (3) 473-479.
- Parsons DJ (1984) The centre of the second dual of a commutative semigroup algebra, Cambridge Philosophical Society. Mathematical Proceedings, 95 (JAN) 71-92.
- Parsons DJ, Pearn KR, Bruce D, Armitage D, Cook D & Wontner-Smith T (2009) BulkDry/BulkCool - models for knowledge transfer. In: Agricultural Research Modellers' Group, Royal Society, London, 3 April 2009.
- Morris J, Colombo S, Angus AJ, Stacey KF, Parsons DJ, Brawn M & Hanley N (2008) Eliciting public preferences for managing the public rights of way. In: XIIth Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists, 26 August 2008.
- Parsons DJ, Schofield CP, Green DM & Whittemore CT (2005) Real-time, model-based control of pig growth. In: 37th meeting of the Agricultural Research Modellers' Group, London, 8 April 2005.
- Offer A, Parsons DJ, Mayes A, Meakin P & Paveley N (2005) Getting decision support systems used. In: The 5th Conference of the European Federation for Information Technology in Agriculture, Food and Environment and The 3rd World Congress on Computers in Agriculture and Natural Resources, Vila Real, Portugal, 25 June 2005.
- Demmers TGM & Parsons DJ (2004) Integrated management systems for livestock production and environmental control. A future?. In: AgEng 2004: engineering the future, Leuven, 12 September 2004.
- Parsons DJ, Schofield CP, Green DM & Whittemore CT (2004) Real-time, model-based control of pig growth. In: European workshop for decision problems in agriculture and natural resources (EWDA-04), Silsoe, 27 September 2004.
- Parsons DJ, Schofield CP, Green DM, Whittemore CT, Carroll S & Kay R (2004) Real-time control of pig growth through an integrated management system. In: AgEng 2004: engineering the future, Leuven, 12 September 2004.
- Green DM, Parsons DJ, Schofield CP & Whittemore CT (2004) Real-time control of pig growth through an integrated management system (IMS). In: British Society of Animal Science annual conference 2004, York, 5 April 2004.
- Parsons DJ, Mayes A, Meakin P, Offer A & Paveley N (2004) Taking DESSAC forward with the Arable Decision Support Community. In: Association of Applied Biologists Centenary Conference, Oxford, 15 December 2004.
- Frost AR, Parsons DJ & Stacey KF (2004) Integrated livestock management systems - research priorities and progress. In: AgEng 2004: engineering the future, Leuven, 12 September 2004.
- Collings LV, Ginsburg D, Clarke JH, Milne AE, Parsons DJ & Wilkinson DJ (2003) WMSS: Improving the precision and prediction of weed management strategies in winter dominant rotations. In: BCPC International Congress - Crop Science and Technology, Glasgow, UK, 1 January 2003.
- Frost AR, Parsons DJ, Robertson AP, Schofield CP & Stacey KF (2003) The development of integrated management systems for livestock production. In: 1st European conference on precision livestock farming (ECPLF 2003), Berlin, 16-18 June 2003.
- White RP, Parsons DJ, Schofield CP, Green DM, Doeschl A & Whittemore CT (2003) Use of visual image analysis for the management of pig growth in size and shape. In: British Society of Animal Science Annual Conference, York, UK, 24 March 2003.
- Stacey KF, Parsons DJ, Christiansen KH & Burton CH (2003) A stochastic simulation of the propagation of E.coli O157:H7 in cattle and sheep on the farm for use in risk assessment. In: 5th International Symposium on 'Shiga Toxin (Verocytotoxin)-Producing Escherichia coli infections' (VTEC 2003), Edinburgh, 8 June 2003.
- Green DM, Whittemore CT & Parsons DJ (2003) Computer based models to allow deterministic control of pig production by integrated management systems. In: Precision livestock husbandry: meeting of the Society of Chemical Industry, London, 11 February 2003.
- Stacey KF, Parsons DJ, Frost AR, Fisher C, Filmer D & Fothergill A (2002) The development of an automatic growth and nutrition control system for broiler production. In: AgEng 2002, Budapest, Hungary, 1 July 2002.
- Parsons DJ, Stacey KF & Frost AR (2002) A real-time, model-based, growth and nutrition control system for broiler chickens. In: First European Workshop on Sequential Decisions under Uncertainty in Agriculture and Natural Resources, Toulouse, France, 19 September 2002.
- Milne AE, Parsons DJ & Audsley E (2002) Wheat disease manager: a model-based DSS for long- and short-term management decisions. In: First European Workshop on Sequential Decisions under Uncertainty in Agriculture and Natural Resources, Toulouse, 19 September 2002.
- Parsons DJ & Mottram TTF (2000) An assessment of herd management aspects of robotic milking on UK dairy farms.
- Demmers TGM, Cao Y, Gauss S, Lowe JC, Parsons DJ & Wathes CM Neural Predictive Control of Broiler Growth. In: 11th IFAC Symposium on Computer Applications in Biotechnology (CAB2010), Leuven, Belgium.
- Green DM & Parsons DJ (2006) The place of models in the new technologies of production systems. In: Mechanistic Modelling in Pig and Poultry Production, CABI Publications, p. 305-324.