Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aircraft Design
David received a MEng in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Glasgow in 2010, which included a 4-month placement at the DLR in Oberpfaffenhofen. He joined Cranfield University in 2011 and completed his PhD in 2014. As a research fellow, he worked on airframe systems modelling of rotorcraft technologies under the Clean Sky TE project and the Airbus Factory of Aircraft Future (FOAF) project, exploring wing production increases through improvements in system installation. Recently he has contributed to the UHBRThermals project on integrated thermal management solutions for fuel and hydraulic systems. David is an associate of the royal aeronautical society and treasurer of the local Cranfield Branch. He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
David’s wider research focuses on developing flexible and rapid design tools for airframe systems. In particular, parametric and knowledge-based approaches, which provide a high degree of automation and coupling to heuristic search algorithms for effective Pareto-optimal design space exploration.
He teaches aircraft fuel systems and leads the module on system design for assembly and manufacturing. He supervises MSc. and PhD students and provides continuous technical support for the Aerospace Vehicle Design MSc. Group Design Projects.
Aircraft Technology Institute
Articles In Journals
- Judt D, Lawson C & van Heerden ASJ (2021) Rapid design of aircraft fuel quantity indication systems via multi-objective evolutionary algorithms, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 28 (2) 141-158.
- Judt D, Lawson C & Lockett H (2019) Experimental investigation into aircraft system manual assembly performance under varying structural component orientations, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 234 (4) 840-855.
- Judt D, Forster K, Lockett H, Lawson C & Webb P (2016) Aircraft wing build philosophy change through system pre-equipping of major components, SAE International Journal of Aerospace, 9 (1) 190-197.
- Judt DM & Lawson CP (2015) Application of an automated aircraft architecture generation and analysis tool to unmanned aerial vehicle subsystem design, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (9) 1690-1708.
- Judt DM & Lawson C (2015) Development of an automated aircraft subsystem architecture generation and analysis tool, Engineering Computations, 33 (5) 1327-1352.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt DM, Lawson CP, Jafari S & Nikolaidis T (2020) Framework for integrated dynamic thermal simulation of future civil transport aircraft. In: 2020 AIAA SciTech Forum, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt D, Lawson CP & Bosak D (2019) Effects of more electric systems on fuel tank thermal behaviour. In: MEA 2019 More Electric Aircraft, Toulouse, 6-7 February 2019.
- Hashim F, Lawson CP & Judt DM (2017) Rotorcraft systems modelling for twin-engine heavy helicopter. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2016, Daejeon, 25-30 September 2016.
- Judt D & Lawson CP (2012) Methodology for automated aircraft systems architecture enumeration and analysis. In: 12th AIAA aviation technology, integration, and operations conference and 14th AIAA/ISSMO multidisciplinary analysis and optimization conference (ATIO/MAO 2012), Indianapolis, IN, 17-19 September 2012.