Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aircraft Design
David Judt, is a Lecturer in Airframe Systems Design. Previously David has worked on a number of research projects in a full time capacity, including Factory of Aircraft Future (FOAF) which explored Airbus wing production increases through technological and design change solutions of wing systems equipping. During Clean Sky TE he worked on airframe systems modelling for future rotorcraft technologies. His current research includes involvement in Meggitt PLC and UK ATI’s UHBR Thermals project focusing on integrated thermal solutions for fuel and hydraulic systems coupled to engine heat losses. David is a ARAeS and treasurer of the local RAeS Cranfield Branch.
His wider research interests include, Heuristic optimization techniques, knowledge based engineering design and system integration and assembly.
Current activitiesTeaching responsibilities in aircraft fuel systems, and system design for assembly and manufacturing. Student support activities include supervision of 4-5 Master student thesis annually and continuous technical support for the aerospace vehicle design MSc. group design project.
Aircraft Technology Institute
Articles In Journals
- Judt D, Lawson C & Lockett H (2019) Experimental investigation into aircraft system manual assembly performance under varying structural component orientations, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Available online 18 October 2019.
- Judt D, Forster K, Lockett H, Lawson C & Webb P (2016) Aircraft wing build philosophy change through system pre-equipping of major components, SAE International Journal of Aerospace, 9 (1) 190-197.
- Judt DM & Lawson CP (2015) Application of an automated aircraft architecture generation and analysis tool to unmanned aerial vehicle subsystem design, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (9) 1690-1708.
- Judt DM & Lawson C (2015) Development of an automated aircraft subsystem architecture generation and analysis tool, Engineering Computations, 33 (5) 1327-1352.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt D, Lawson CP & Bosak D (2019) Effects of more electric systems on fuel tank thermal behaviour. In: MEA 2019 More Electric Aircraft, Toulouse, 6-7 February 2019.
- Hashim F, Lawson CP & Judt DM (2017) Rotorcraft systems modelling for twin-engine heavy helicopter. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2016, Daejeon, 25-30 September 2016.
- Judt D & Lawson CP (2012) Methodology for automated aircraft systems architecture enumeration and analysis. In: 12th AIAA aviation technology, integration, and operations conference and 14th AIAA/ISSMO multidisciplinary analysis and optimization conference (ATIO/MAO 2012), Indianapolis, IN, 17-19 September 2012.