Contact Dr David Barry
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754242
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @CranfieldSAIC
Areas of expertise
- Air Transport Safety & Investigation
- Aviation Management & Operations
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
BackgroundDavid’s entire career has been in aviation, specialising in operational safety and risk for over 20 years. As a former safety manager at a UK airline for over 10 years, he was responsible for operational safety and developing the company’s safety management system.
David was awarded a Masters degree with distinction in Air Safety Management in 2008 at City University, London, and in 2020 graduated with a PhD in Operational Risk in Aviation from Cranfield. A Senior Lecturer at Cranfield since 2011, David leads the Aviation Safety Management, Flight Data Monitoring and Crisis Management modules and is Course Director for the new online Aviation Safety Management, Risk and Regulation MSc and Mastership programme. His academic interests are in Bayesian networks, quantitative risk assessment and the exploitation of data to discover new safety knowledge.
He is a member of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators, the Royal Aeronautical Society and holds a Private Pilots Licence.
Current activitiesCurrent activities and interests include:
- Risk modelling and assessment
- Safety Management
- Flight data monitoring
- Safety performance measurement
- Bayesian networks
Highlands and Islands Airports (HIAL)
Air Traffic Control Services
Articles In Journals
- Barry DJ (2021) Estimating runway veer-off risk using a Bayesian network with flight data, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 128 (July) Article No. 103180.
- Oehling J & Barry D (2019) Using machine learning methods in airline flight data monitoring to generate new operational safety knowledge from existing data, Safety Science, 114 (April) 89-104.