Contact Dr Daniel Auger
Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Vehicle Engineering & Mobility
Control engineering is key to the successful deployment of many cutting-edge vehicle technologies. Even with a rigorous scientific understanding and excellent mathematical models, real-world systems can be unpredictable, since no model is a perfect match for its system ('model uncertainty') and all systems are affected by unknown external factors ('disturbance' and 'noise'). Sometimes the quantities of interest are unmeasurable, e.g. battery state-of-charge. All this can mean that it is difficult to make a system behave as intended, and this usually gets harder when moving away from the laboratory and into practical applications. Control engineers are experienced in managing problems like this and can often dramatically improve a system's behaviour. Sometimes, improvements come as increases in 'performance' measures such as energy efficiency, reliability and driveability. However, in many cases, a system will only work at all because of what control engineers do.
Daniel and his research team at Cranfield are experts in control, simulation, application and duty cycle modelling, hardware prototyping, mixed hardware/simulation test environments and state estimation. Typical applications include hybrid and electric vehicles, advanced battery management systems and autonomous road vehicles.
Daniel studied at Cambridge, receiving the MEng (Hons) and PhD degrees. He then worked in senior control engineering roles in BAE Systems and in the Consulting Services Group at MathWorks. He joined Cranfield in 2013. He is a chartered engineer, an IET Fellow, an IEEE Senior Member and past chair of the IEEE UK and Ireland Control System Society Chapter.
Cranfield advertises post-doctoral research opportunities at https://tinyurl.com/Cranfield-Postdoc-Jobs-SATM. Candidates wishing to work under Daniel's supervision with their own funding, e.g. a Marie Skłodowska Curie fellowship, are welcome, and encouraged to get in touch directly.
Daniel is always happy to hear from prospective PhD students in Automotive Battery Management and State Estimation, Applications of Control Theory in Hybrid and Electric Vehicles, and Applications of Control Theory in Connected and Autonomous Vehicles
To apply, simply fill in our online application form at https://tinyurl.com/PhD-in-Transport-Systems, mentioning your preferred supervisor's name on the form. (Advanced Vehicle Engineering is part of our Transport Systems 'theme', so don't worry if the application form has this as the subject area). A successful PhD requires enthusiasm and self-motivation - it's important that you can come up with ideas for a research project, and that this is well presented in your application form.
Students are normally expected to identify their own source of funding, e.g. an employer or a nationally-funded scholarship. From time to time, we have funding for PhD scholarships - we always advertise these at https://tinyurl.com/Transport-Systems-PhD-Funding.
A PhD is a great experience. It's difficult at times, but ultimately very rewarding. If you think it might be right for you, and you think you have identified Daniel as the right supervisor, please do apply, and good luck with your application.
Horizon 2020 Project (814471) LISA: Lithium Sulfur for Safe Road Vehicle Electrification, EUR 465,851 (Cranfield part), Jan 19 to Jul 2022. PI Dr D Auger, Co-Is Dr A Fotouhi, Prof J Brighton.
Innovate UK Project (TS/R013780/1) LiS:FAB - Lithium Sulfur: Future Automotive Battery (Advanced State Estimation and Management Algorithms, £859,504, Apr 18 to Mar 21. PI Dr D Auger, Co-Is Dr A Fotouhi, Prof J Brighton.
Horizon 2020 Project (666157) ALISE: Advanced Lithium Sulfur Battery for xEV, EUR 111,717 (Cranfield part), Mar 18 - May 2019. PI Dr D Auger, Co-I Dr A Fotouhi.
ATI Project (TS/P003818/1) Zephyr Innovation Programme (ZIP) - development and integration of novel lithium-sulfur battery management and state estimation algorithms for UAVs, £245,135, May 17 - Dec 18. PI Dr D Auger, Co-Is Dr S Longo, Dr A Fotouhi.
Innovate UK Project (TS/P012000/1) HumanDRIVE, £1,199,941, Jan 17 - Dec 19, PI Prof A Tsourdos, Co-PI Prof JL Brighton, Co-Is Dr A Savvaris, Prof R Zbikowski, Dr DJ Auger, Dr S Longo, Dr A Soltani.
EPSRC Project (EP/N012089/1) TASCC: Driver-cognition-oriented optimal control authority shifting for adaptive automated driving (CogShift), £1,587,193, Dec 15 - Dec 19, PI Prof JL Brighton, Co-Is Prof N Lavie, Dr DJ Auger, Dr Y Zhao.
EPSRC Project (EP/L505286/1) Revolutionary Electric Vehicle Battery (REVB) - design and integration of novel state estimation/control algorithms & system optimisation techniques, £468,617, Feb 14 - Apr 17, PI Dr D Auger, Co-I Dr S Longo.
EPSRC Project (EP/I038586/1) Developing FUTURE Vehicles (Fundamental Understanding of Technologies for Ultra Reduced Emission Vehicles), £3,012,029, [Jan 13] - May 16, PI Prof R Thring, Co-Is Prof Q Zhong, Prof DA Stone, Prof K Burnham, Prof NP Brandon, Prof D Howey, Dr T Larkowski, Dr D J Auger, Dr S Longo, Dr M Sumislawska, Prof M McCulloch, Professor R Martinez-Botas, Dr J Marco, Dr G Offer, Prof F Assadian.
Current and recent grants have been provided by Innovate UK, The European Commission, EPSRC and the Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI).
Current and recent collaborators include OXIS Energy, The LEITAT Technological Center and Thermal Hazard Technologies.
Articles In Journals
- Fotouhi A, Shateri N, Laila DS & Auger DJ (2019) Electric vehicle energy consumption estimation for a fleet management system, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, Available online 30 October.
- Propp K, Auger DJ, Fotouhi A, Marinescu M, Knap V & Longo S (2019) Improved state of charge estimation for lithium-sulfur batteries, Journal of Energy Storage, 26 (December) Article No. 100943. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranﬁeld.rd.c.3723934
- V. Knap, D-I. Stroe, R. Purkayastha, S. Walus, D. J. Auger, A. Fotouhi & K. Propp (2018) Reference performance test methodology for degradation assessment of lithium-sulfur batteries, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165 (9) 1601-1609.
- Knap V, Auger DJ, Propp K, Fotouhi A & Stroe D-I (2018) Concurrent real-time estimation of state of health and maximum available power in lithium-sulfur batteries, Energies, 11 (8) Article No. 2133.
- Knap V, Stroe D-I, Purkayastha R, Walus S, Auger DJ, Fotouhi A & Propp K (2018) Methodology for assessing the lithium-sulfur battery degradation for practical applications, ECS Transactions, 77 (11) 479-490.
- Fotouhi A, Auger D, Propp K & Longo S (2018) Lithium-sulfur battery state-of-charge observability analysis and estimation, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 33 (7) 5847-5859.
- Lv C, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Wang H, Dutka LM, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) Analysis of autopilot disengagements occurring during autonomous vehicle testing, IEEE CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, 5 (1) 58-68.
- Fotouhi A, Propp K, Samaranayake L, Auger D J & Longo S (2018) A hardware-in-the-loop test rig for development of electric vehicle battery identification and state estimation algorithms, International Journal of Powertrains, 7 (1-3) 227-248. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5687983
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) Characterization of driver neuromuscular dynamics for human-automation collaboration design of automated vehicles, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Early online (6).
- Al-kubragyi SS, Luk PCK, Economou J & Auger D (2018) Sugeno - PI Fuzzy Controller for D-STATCOM based Battery Energy Storage to Improve Power Quality in Distribution Grids, IET Renewable Power Generation.
- Propp K, Auger DJ, Fotouhi A, Longo S & Knap V (2017) Kalman-variant estimators for state of charge in lithium-sulfur batteries, Journal of Power Sources, 343 (March) 254-267. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3834057
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Propp K, Longo S, Purkayastha R, O'Neill L & Walus S (2017) Lithium-Sulfur cell equivalent circuit network model parameterization and sensitivity analysis, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 66 (9) 7711-7721.
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Propp K & Longo S (2017) Electric vehicle battery parameter identification and SOC observability analysis: NiMH and Li-S case studies, IET Power Electronics, 10 (11) 1289-1297.
- Knap V, Stroe D-I, Christensen AE, Propp K, Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Schaltz E & Teodorescu R (2017) Self-balancing feature of Lithium-Sulfur batteries, Journal of Power Sources, 372 (December) 245-251.
- Yousif SEA, Fotouhi A, Auger DJ & Propp K (2017) Self-discharge effects in lithium-sulfur equivalent circuit networks for state estimation, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 165 (1) A6081-A6090. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.c.3858703
- Zhao Y, Görne L, Yuen L-M, Cao D, Sullman M, Auger D, Lv C, Wang H, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2017) An orientation sensor based head tracking system for driver behaviour monitoring, Sensors, 17 (11) Article No. 2692. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.5616850
- Fotouhi A, Auger D, O'Neill L, Cleaver T & Walus S (2017) Lithium-Sulfur battery technology readiness and applications – a review, Energies, 10 (12) Article No. 1937.
- Amy T, Kong H, Auger D, Offer G & Longo S (2016) Regularized MPC for power management of hybrid energy storage systems with applications in electric vehicles, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49 (11) 265-270.
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Propp K & Longo S (2016) Accuracy versus simplicity in online battery model identification, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics: Systems, 48 (2) 195-206. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3545847.v1
- Othaganont P, Assadian F & Auger DJ (2016) Multi-objective optimisation for battery electric vehicle powertrain topologies, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 231 (8) 1046-1065.
- Propp K, Fotouhi A, Knap V & Auger DJ (2016) Design, build and validation of a low-cost programmable battery cycler, ECS Transactions, 74 (1) 101-111.
- Propp K, Marinescu M, Auger DJ, O'Neill L, Fotouhi A, Somasundaram K, Offer GJ, Minton G, Longo S, Wild M & Knap V (2016) Multi-temperature state-dependent equivalent circuit discharge model for lithium-sulfur batteries, Journal of Power Sources, 328 (October) 289-299. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.c.3292031
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Propp K, Longo S & Wild M (2016) A review on electric vehicle battery modelling: From Lithium-ion toward Lithium–Sulphur, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 56 (April) 1008-1021.
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Propp K & Longo S (2016) A study on battery model parametrisation problem: application-oriented trade-offs between accuracy and simplicity, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49 (11) 48-53.
- Auger DJ, Maxime FG, Mohan G, Longo S & Assadian F (2014) Impact of battery ageing on an electric vehicle powertrain optimisation, Journal of Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, 2 (4) 350-361.
- Othaganont P, Assadian F & Auger D (2014) Sensitivity Analyses for Cross-Coupled Parameters in Automotive Powertrain Optimization, Energies, 7 (6) 3733-3747.
- Papazoglou A, Longo S, Auger D & Assadian F (2014) Nonlinear filtering techniques comparison for battery state estimation, Journal of Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, 2 (3) 259-269.
- Longo S, Auger DJ & Assadian F (2014) Mechatronics in Sustainable Mobility: Two Electric Vehicle Applications, Journal of Sustainable Mobility, 1 (1) 19-36.
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Sullman M, Auger DJ, Brighton J, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) A Novel Control Framework of Haptic Take-Over System for Automated Vehicles. In: 2018 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Changshu, Suzhou, 26-30 June 2018.
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2017) Characterisation of driver neuromuscular dynamics for haptic take-over system design for automated vehicles. In: IECON 2017 - 43rd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Beijing, 29 October - 1 November 2017.
- Fotouhi A, Propp K, Samaranayake L, Auger DJ & Longo S. (2016) Electric vehicle battery management algorithm development using a HIL simulator incorporating three-phase machines and power electronics. In: 3rd Biennial International Conference on Powertrain Modelling and Control: Testing, Mapping and Calibration (PMC 2016), Loughborough, 7-9 September 2016.
- Fotouhi A, Shateri N, Auger DJ, Longo S, Propp K, Purkayastha R & Wild M (2016) A MATLAB graphical user interface for battery design and simulation; from cell test data to real-world automotive simulation. In: 2016 13th International Conference on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD), Lisbon, 27-30 June 2016.
- A Fotouhi, DJ Auger, K Propp & S Longo (2016) Electric vehicle battery parameter identification and SOC observability analysis: NiMH and Li-S case studies. In: 8th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2016), Glasgow, 19-21 April 2016.
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Cleaver T, Shateri N, Propp K & Longo S (2016) Influence of battery capacity on performance of an electric vehicle fleet. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), Birmingham, 20-23 November 2016.
- Fotouhi A, Propp K & Auger DJ (2015) Electric vehicle battery model identification and state of charge estimation in real world driving cycles. In: 7th computer science and electronic engineering conference (CEEC 2015), Colchester, 24-25 September 2015.
- Al-Jazaeri AO, Samaranayake L, Longo S & Auger DJ (2015) Fuzzy logic control for energy saving in autonomous electric vehicles. In: 2014 IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC), Florence, 17-19 June 2015.
- Propp K, Fotouhi A & Auger DJ (2015) Low-cost programmable battery dischargers and application in battery model identification. In: 7th computer science and electronic engineering conference (CEEC 2015), Colchester, 24-25 September 2015.
- Feig P, Billitteri F, Longo S & Auger DJ (2014) Sensors-models trade-offs in battery state estimation. In: 5th IET Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Conference (HEVC 2014), London, 5-6 November 2014.
- Fotouhi A, Auger DJ, Propp K & Longo S (2014) Simulation for prediction of vehicle efficiency, performance, range and lifetime: a review of current techniques and their applicability to current and future testing standards. In: 5th IET Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Conference (HEVC 2014), London, 5-6 November 2014.
- Papazoglou A, Longo S, Auger DJ & Assadian F (2013) Computational Aspects of Estimation Algorithms for Battery-Management Systems. In: 8th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES 2013), Dubrovnik, 22 September 2013.
- Auger DJ, Groff MF, Mohan G, Longo S & Assadian F (2013) The Impact of Battery Ageing on an Electric Vehicle Powertrain Optimisation. In: 8th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES 2013), Dubrovnik, 22 September 2013.
- Rottier P & Auger DJ (2012) Application of DEF STAN 61-22 to guide development and verification of an electrical power system model.. In: INEC 2012: 11th International Naval Conference and Exhibition, Edinburgh, UK, 15 May 2012.
- Butcher J, Clarke N, Pettitt D, Whitten T, Auger DJ & Pacitti G (2012) Development of adaptable UUV systems using model-based design. In: INEC 2012: 11th International Naval Conference and Exhibition, Edinburgh, UK, 15 May 2012.
- Auger DJ, Crawshaw S & Hall SL (2008) Robust H-Infinity Control of a Steerable Marine Radar Tracker. In: UKACC International Conference on Control 2008, Manchester, 2 September 2008.
- Auger DJ, Fotouhi A, Propp K & Longo S (2019) Battery management systems – state estimation for lithium-sulfur batteries. In: Lithium-sulfur batteries, Wiley, p. 249-272.
- Fotouhi A, Propp K, Auger DJ & Longe S (2018) State of charge and state of health estimation over the battery lifespan. In: Behaviour of Lithium-Ion Batteries in Electric Vehicles, Springer International Publishing, p. 267-288, ed. 1.