Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Defence Sensors
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
Daniel has been involved in numerous ATR related SAR feature extraction, understanding and simulation research projects during the course of his radar career based first at DERA, QinetiQ, Dstl and now Cranfield University. In the field of InSAR he developed a novel understanding of SAR image coherence and speckle over mountainous terrain. In this area he developed a new image formation algorithm designed to remove topographically related incoherence from interferograms and Coherent Change Detection (CCD) products, winning a UK civil service scientist innovation award (The John Benjamin Memorial prize). This work has been extended to bistatic and SAR near-field geometries. He also researches bistatic polarimetry, multipath, vibrometry, RCS prediction at both low and high frequency bands, and 3D multistatic image formation.
Daniel has a PhD in Applied Mathematics and a Joint Honours BSc in Mathematics and Physics
3 PhD positions in Multistatic SAR remote sensing currently available:
Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) imaging techniques and phenomenology in conventional and multistatic scenarios
Interferometric SAR (InSAR) for terrain elevation determination (Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED) / Digital Elevation Models (DEM))
SAR Coherent Change Detection (CCD) in challenging scenarios including in bistatic SAR near-field with substantial terrain topography
Ultra Wide-Band (UWB), polarimetric and microdoppler SAR phenomenology
Radar Cross-Section (RCS) prediction and measurement
Three dimensional, volumetric and through-wall imaging
- Dstl: Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- ESA: European Space Agency
- Roke Manor
- FABW: Find a Better Way, now "Sir Bobby Charlton Foundation"
- RADI: Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- DfT: UK Department for Transport
Articles In Journals
- Corbett B, Andre D & Finnis M (2020) Localising vibrating scatterer phenomena in synthetic aperture radar imagery, Electronics Letters, Available online 21st January 2020 (8).
- Elgy J, Andre D & Finnis M (2020) Volumetric SAR near-field upsampling and basebanding, Electronics Letters, 56 (12) 622-624.
- Morrison K, Andre D, Bennett J, Finnis M, Blacknell D, Muff D, Nottingham M & Stevenson C. (2020) A new resonance phenomenon observed in UWB 14-50GHz SAR and its application to the retrieval of thickness and dielectric properties of scene features, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Available online 27th October 2020.
- Corbett B, Andre D & Finnis M (2017) Through-wall detection and imaging of a vibrating target using synthetic aperture radar, Electronics Letters, 53 (15) 991-995.
- Andre D, Faulkner B & Finnis M (2017) Low-frequency 3D synthetic aperture radar for the remote intelligence of building interiors, Electronics Letters, 53 (15) 984-987.
- Corbett B & Andre D (2019) Using synthetic aperture radar data-dome collections for building feature analysis. In: Defence and Security Doctoral Symposium, 2018, Steam Museum, Swindon, 13-14 November 2018.
- Corbett B, Andre D, Muff D, Finnis M & Blacknell D (2018) Analysis and exploitation of complex SAR phenomena produced from vibrating targets. In: 4th International Conference on Synthetic Aperture Sonar and Synthetic Aperture Radar, 2018, Lerici, 5-7 September 2018.
- Wirth S, Morrow I & Andre D (2018) Microwave phase contrast imaging of the subsurface using variation in soil moisture level. In: 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), Reykjavik, Iceland, 8-10 August 2018.
- Elgy J, Andre D, Morrow IL & Finnis M (2018) Remote determination of building material characteristics using asymmetric bistatic radar geometries. In: EUSAR 2018: 12th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, Aachen, 4-7 June 2018.
- Andre D & Morrow I (2018) A new spatially variant SAR basebanding technique. In: EUSAR 2018; 12th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, Aachen, 4-7 June 2018.
- Andre D, Blacknell D & Finnis M (2018) An improved SAR-near-field spatially variant basebanding technique. In: 4th International Conference on Synthetic Aperture Sonar and Synthetic Aperture Radar, 2018, Lerici, 5-7 September 2018.
- Corbett B, Andre D, Muff D, Morrow I & Finnis M (2018) Imaging SAR phenomenology of concealed vibrating targets. In: 12th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (EUSAR 2018), Aachen, 4-7 June 2018.
- Muff D, Andre D, Corbett B, Finnis M, Blacknell D, Nottingham M, Stevenson C & Griffiths H (2018) Comparison of vibration and multipath signatures from simulated and real SAR images. In: IET International Conference on Radar Systems (Radar 2017), Belfast, 23-26 October 2017.
- Corbett B, Andre D & Finnis M (2017) Through-wall detection and imaging of a vibrating target using synthetic aperture radar. In: Remote Intelligence of Building Interiors, 2017, Helsinki, 8-9 May 2017.
- Morrison K, Andre D, Blacknell D, Muff D, Nottingham M & Stevenson C (2016) Material identification using extreme wide-band SAR imaging 10-50GHz. In: 11th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, EUSAR 2016, Hamburg, 6-9 June 2016.
- Andre D & Morrison K (2016) Improvement in Bistatic SAR coherence through spatially variant polarimetry. In: 11th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, EUSAR 2016, Hamburg, 6-9 June 2016.
- Andre D, Morrison K, Blacknell D, Muff D, Nottingham M & Stevenson C (2015) Very high resolution coherent change detection. In: IEEE Radar Conference 2015, Arlington, VA, 10-15 May 2015.
- Morrison K, Andre D, Blacknell D, Muff D, Nottingham M & Bennett J (2015) Target detection in SAR imagery by diffraction patterning. In: IEEE Radar Conference 2015, Arlington, VA, 10-15 May 2015.
- Andre DB, Morrison K & Blacknell D (2014) A volumetric approach to SAR interferometry. In: IOA International Conference Synthetic Aperture Sonar and Synthetic Aperture Radar, 2014, Lerici, 17-19 September 2014.
- Andre DB, Morrison K & Blacknell D (2013) Spatially variant incoherence trimming for improved bistatic SAR CCD. In: IEEE Radar conference 2013, Ottawa, 29 April - 3 May 2013.
- Andre DB, Morrison K & Blacknell D (2013) Spatially variant incoherence trimming for improved SAR CCD. In: SPIE Algorithms for Synthetic Aperture Radar Imagery, Baltimore, 29 April - 3 May 2013.
- Andre D (2008) Scatterer excursion compensation in sequential radar image projections. In: 2008 IEEE radar conference (RADAR '08), Rome, 26-30 May 2008.
- Andre D (2006) Sidelobe rotation and apodization. In: 2006 IEEE radar conference (RADAR '06), Verona, NY, 24-27 April 2006.