Contact Dr Claudiu Giusca
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 752958
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Precision Engineering
Dr Giusca expertise is in the metrology associated with the use of optical surface topography measuring instruments, surface texture and micro-coordinate measurements and analysis, design and build of primary instrumentation and in-line optical 2D/3D hybrid systems for roll-to-roll applications, as well as X-ray computed tomography.
Previous to Cranfield University, Dr Giusca was the lead scientist in Dimensional Surface Metrology group (DSM) at National Physical Laboratory, the UK’s national metrology institute. In that capacity, Dr Giusca managed a research portfolio worth approximately £1M per year. Most of the projects investigated surface-function relationships, which require multi-disciplinary research that combines a wide range of conventional engineering fields, such as laser machining, grinding, nano-fabrication, additive manufacturing, die casting and tribology, as well as more exotic fields like archaeology and dentistry. However, all projects have been focused on developing dimensional metrology solutions for process control and quality assurance, which include optical and tactile systems, algorithms, physical and documentary standards.
Giusca is a Senior Lecturer in Sensor Technology for Precision
In-process Measurement at Cranfield University, employed on metrology aspects
related to Advanced Manufacturing. Currently, Dr Giusca is focused on
developing in-line/in-process metrology with a growing interest in High
Natinal Physical Laboratory
Articles In Journals
- Liu C, Goel S, Llavori I, Stolf P, Giusca CL, Zabala A, Kohlscheen J, Paiva JM, Endrino JL & Veldhuis SC Fox Rabinovich GS (2019) Benchmarking of several material constitutive models for tribology, wear, and other mechanical deformation simulations of Ti6Al4V, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 97 (September) 126-137.
- Giusca CL & Goel S (2019) Improved and simpler estimation of scale linearity contribution to topography measurement, Precision Engineering, 60 (November) 368-373.
- Goel S, Martinez FD, Chavoshi SZ, Khatri N & Giusca C (2018) Molecular dynamics simulation of the elliptical vibration-assisted machining (EVAM) of pure iron, Journal of Micromanufacturing, 1 (1) 6-19.
- Goel S, Iñigo Llavori AZ, Giusca C, Veldhuis SC & Endrino JL (2018) The possibility of performing FEA analysis of a contact loading process fed by the MD simulation data, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 134 (November) 79-80.
- Sanz C, Giusca C, Morantz P, Marin A, Chérif A, Schneider J, Mainaud-Durand H, Shore P & Steffens N (2018) Form measurement of a 0.1 mm in diameter wire with chromatic confocal sensor, with the associated uncertainty evaluation, Measurement Science and Technology, 29 (7) Article No. 074010.
- Henning AJ & Giusca CL (2017) Considerations on the proposed linear theory of surface measurement for coherence scanning interferometers, Applied Optics, 56 (10) 2960-2967.
- Thompson A, Senin N, Giusca C & Leach R (2017) Topography of selectively laser melted surfaces: A comparison of different measurement methods, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 543-546.
- Smith I, Harris PM, Todhunter L, Giusca C, Jiang XJ, Scott PJ & Leach RK (2017) Algorithms and software for areal surface texture function parameters, Measurement Science and Technology, 28 (10) Article No. 105008.
- Hawi S, Dickins A, Pardal G, Giusca C, Pearce O & Goel S (2019) Fabrication of functionalised surfaces on gum metal (Ti-30Nb) using micromachining. In: 19th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), 2019, Bilbao, 3-7 June 2019.
- Zhao J, Giusca C & Goel S (2018) Manufacturing uncertainty: How reproducible is the depth of cut during turning of OFHC copper? (Extended abstract). In: 18th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Venice, 4-8 June 2018.
- Leach R. K., Giusca C. L. & Coupland J. M. (2012) Advances in calibration methods for micro- and nanoscale surfaces. In: Optical Micro- and Nanometrology IV, 2012, Brussels, 16-18 April 2012.
- Leach R. K. & Giusca C. L. (2012) Determination of the metrological characteristics of optical surface topography measuring instruments. In: Optical Micro- and Nanometrology IV, 2012, Brussels, 16-18 April 2012.
- Yacoot A, Leach R, Hughes B, Giusca C, Jones C & Wilson A (2008) Dimensional nanometrology at The National Physical Laboratory. In: 5th International Symposium on Instrumentation Science and Technology, 2008, Shenyang, 15-18 September 2008.