Contact Dr Christopher Turner
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Industrial Automation
- Manufacturing Systems
- Product and Service Design
BackgroundDr Turner has a background in software development within industry.
Dr Christopher Turner is a Research Fellow and Project Manager within the Manufacturing and Materials Department at Cranfield University. Dr Turner is research active in the fields of manufacturing informatics, business process management and business process optimisation. With his involvement in the successful completion of several UK research council funded projects (with subjects ranging from business process optimisation to the simulation of product-service systems), Dr Turner is experienced in the management of commercially focused applied projects. He is currently engaged in the AUTONOM project (Integrated through-life support for high-value systems) working with industry partners, such as Network Rail, in the area of automated intelligent maintenance systems. He is also engaged in the Innovate UK funded project Towards Zero Prototyping of Factory Layouts and Operations Using Novel Gaming and Immersive Technologies, which aims to integrate Discrete Event Simulation (DES) with Virtual Reality gaming devices such as Kinect and Oculus. Dr Turner has published over 60 papers in peer reviewed international journals and conferences. He is also a member of the IEEE task force on process mining.
- Axillium Research
- British Telecom (BT)
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Airbus UK
- Lanner Group
- Network Rail
- Alstom UK
Articles In Journals
- Okorie O, Turner C, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Tiwari A & Hutabarat W (2018) A decision-making framework for the implementation of remanufacturing in rechargeable energy storage system in hybrid and electric vehicles, Procedia Manufacturing, 25 142-153.
- Rehman S, Tiwari A, Turner C & Williams L (2018) A framework for innovation outsourcing, International Journal of Business Innovation and Research, 16 (1) 79-111.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Turner C & Tiwari A (2018) Digitisation and the circular economy: A review of current research and future trends, Energies, 11 (11) Article No. 3009.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F & Turner C (2018) A systems dynamics enabled real-time efficiency for fuel cell data-driven remanufacturing, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 2 (4) Article No. 77.
- Simon E, Oyekan J, Hutabarat W, Tiwari A & Turner CJ (2018) Adapting petri nets to DES: stochastic modelling of manufacturing systems, International Journal of Simulation Modelling, 17 (1) 5-17.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Shehab E, Baguley P & Xu Y (2018) An autonomous system for maintenance scheduling data-rich complex infrastructure: Fusing the railways’ condition, planning and cost, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 89 (April) 234-253.
- Quintana-Amate S, Bermell-Garcia P, Tiwari A & Turner CJ (2017) A new knowledge sourcing framework for knowledge-based engineering: an aerospace industry case study, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 104 (February) 25-50.
- Turner C, Ravi PT, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2017) A software architecture for autonomous maintenance scheduling: Scenarios for UK and European rail, International Journal of Transport Development and Integration, 1 (3) 371-381.
- Moreno M, Turner M, Tiwari A, Hutabarat W, Charnley F, Widjaja D & Mondini L (2017) Re-distributed manufacturing to achieve a circular economy: A case study utilizing IDEF0 modeling, Procedia CIRP, 63 686-691.
- Turner C, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2016) A review of key planning and scheduling in the rail industry in Europe and UK, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230 (3) 984-998.
- Flores-Vaquero P, Tiwari A, Alcock J, Hutabarat W, Turner & C (2016) A product-service system approach to telehealth application design, Health Informatics Journal, 22 (2) 321-332.
- Turner CJ, Hutabarat W, Oyekan J & Tiwari A (2016) Discrete event simulation and virtual reality use in industry: new opportunities and future trends, IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 46 (6) 882-894.
- Panikowska K, Tiwari A, Alcock J & Turner C (2016) Design practices used in the development of microfluidic devices: a services-based view, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, 30 (6) 422-442.
- Vergidis K, Turner C, Alechnovic A & Tiwari A (2015) An automated optimisation framework for the development of re-configurable business processes: a web services approach, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 28 (1) 41-58.
- Tiwari A, Hoyos PN, Hutabarat W, Turner C, Ince N, Gan X-P & Prajapat N (2015) Survey on the use of computational optimisation in UK engineering companies, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 9 57-68.
- Davé A, Oates M, Turner C & Ball P (2015) Factory eco-efficiency modelling: the impact of data granularity on manufacturing and building asset simulation results quality, International journal of energy sector management, 9 (4) 547-564.
- Oyekan J, Hutabarat W, Turner C, Tiwari A, Prajapat N, Ince N, Xiao-Peng Gan & Waller T (2015) A 3D immersive discrete event simulator for enabling prototyping of factory layouts, Procedia CIRP, 38 63-67.
- Madenas N, Tiwari A, Turner C & Peachey S (2015) An analysis of supply chain issues relating to information flow during the automotive product development, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 26 (8) 1158-1176.
- Rehman S, Tiwari A & Turner C (2015) Innovation outsourcing: A review of literature, International Journal of Technology, Policy and Management , 15 (4) 333-356.
- Prabhu VA, Tiwari A, Hutabarat W & Turner C (2014) Monitoring and digitising human-workpiece interactions during a manual manufacturing assembly operation using Kinect TM, Key Engineering Materials, 572 (1) 609-612.
- Madenas N, Tiwari A, Turner CJ & Woodward J (2014) Information flow in supply chain management: A review across the product lifecycle, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 7 (4) 335-346.
- Tiwari A, Turner C & Younis K (2014) Socially responsible purchasing in the automotive industry, Social Responsibility Journal, 10 (4) 620-645.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Olaiya R & Xu Y (2012) Process mining: From theory to practice, Business Process Management Journal, 18 (3) 493-512.
- Tiwari A, Younis K, Turner CJ, Sackett P & Cebrian Bautista M (2010) Capturing and evaluating process information for high performance complex manufacturing operations, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 21 (5) 585-603.
- Vergidis K, Turner CJ & Tiwari A (2008) Business process perspectives: theoretical developments vs. real-world practice, International Journal of Production Economics, 114 (1) 91-104.
- Tiwari A, Turner CJ & Majeed B (2008) A review of business process mining: state of the art and future trends, Business Process Management Journal, 14 (1) 5-22.
- Tiwari A, Turner CJ & Sackett P (2007) A framework for implementing cost and quality practices within manufacturing, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 18 (6) 731-760.
- Okorie O, Turner C, Charnley F, Moreno M & Tiwari A (2017) A review of data driven approaches for circular economy in manufacturing. In: 18th European Roundtable for Sustainable Consumption and Production (ERSCP), Skiathos Island, 1-5 October 2017.
- Vladimirova D, Geissdoerfer M, Yang M, Zaki M, Turner C & Tiwari A (2017) A conceptual framework for sustainable re-distributed manufacturing business models based on data-driven decision making. In: British Academy of Management (BAM) Conference 2017, Warwick, 5-7 September 2017.
- Petti A, Hutabarat W, Oyekan J, Turner C, Tiwari A, Prajapat N & Gan X-P (2016) Impact of model fidelity in factory layout assessment using immersive discrete event simulation. In: 2016 8th Operational Research Society Simulation Workshop (SW16), Ettington, 11-13 April 2016.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Starr A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Blacktop K (2015) An intelligent framework and prototype for autonomous maintenance planning in the rail industry. In: 1st international conference on vehicle technology and intelligent transport systems (VEHITS 2015), Lisbon, 20-22 May 2015.
- Prabhu VA, Tiwari A, Hutabarat W, Thrower J & Turner C (2014) Dynamic alignment control using depth imagery for automated wheel assembly. In: 8th international conference on digital enterprise technology (DET 2014): disruptive innovation in manufacturing engineering towards the 4th industrial revolution, 2014, Stuttgart, 25-28 March 2014.
- Mehnen J, Turner C & Tiwari A (2010) Business process mining for industry: successes and caveats. In: 7th CIRP Conference on Intelligent Computation in Manufacturing Engineering (ICME 2010), Naples, 23 June 2010.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A & Mehnen J (2009) Mining Pprocess flowcharts from business data: an evolutionary approach. In: 6th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology, DET 2009, Hong Kong, 14 December 2009.
- Turner C, Tiwari A & Mehnen J (2009)
Process mining: an application for industry. In: MITIP 2009, Bergamo, Italy, 15 October 2009.
- Turner C, Tiwari A & Mehnen J (2009) Mining process flowcharts from business data: an evolutionary approach. In: 6th CIRP-Sponsored International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology, 2009, Hong Kong, 14-16 December 2009.
- Turner C, Tiwari A & Mehnen J (2008) A Genetic Programming Approach to Business Process Mining. In: GECCO 2008 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Atlanta, USA, 12 July 2008.
- Turner CJ & Tiwari A (2007) An exploration of genetic process mining. In: 12th Online World Conference on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications (WSC-12), Web, WWW, 16 October 2007.
- Damour L, Turner CJ & Tiwari A (2007) Global strategic inventory planning. In: 5th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR-2007), De Montfort University, Leicester, UK, 11 September 2007.
- Turner CJ, Vergidis K & Tiwari A (2007) Surveying business processes: The industry perspective. In: 5th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR-2007), De Montfort University, Leicester, UK, 11 September 2007.
- Turner CJ & Tiwari A (2007) An experimental evaluation of feedback loops in a business process mining genetic algorithm. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC-2007), Singapore, 25 September 2007.
- Turner CJ & Tiwari A (2007) An experimental evaluation of genetic process mining. In: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO-2007), London, UK, 7 July 2007.
- Tiwari A, Turner CJ & Majeed B (2006) Techniques for business process comparison and conformance: State of the art and future trends. In: 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR-2006), Liverpool John Moores University, UK, 5 September 2006.
- Sackett P, Tiwari A, Turner CJ & Salmon R (2006) Business benefit Analysis for Manufacturing Enterprise Projects: Towards generic tools. In: 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 5 September 2006.
- Tiwari A, Navarro Fontestad R & Turner CJ Drivers and barriers to the adoption of web 2.0.
- Tiwari A, Turner C, Alechnovic A & Vergidis K An automated business process optimisation framework for the development of re-configurable business processes: A web service based approach. In: DET2011 7th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology, Athens, 28 September 2011.
- Tiwari A, Turner CJ, Sackett P & Bautista MC Methodology for Evaluating the Location Dependent Basis of Competition for Global Manufacturing Businesses. In: 8th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2010), Durham, 14 September 2010.
- Turner CJ & Tiwari A Business Process Mining: A Soft Computing Approach.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Turner C & Tiwari A (2019) Manufacturing data for the implementation of data-driven remanufacturing for the rechargeable energy storage system in electric vehicles. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2018. KES-SDM 2018. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies, Cham: Springer, p. 277-289.
- Turner C, Tiwari A & and Pizarroso J (2017) Digital redistributed manufacturing (RdM) studio: a data-driven approach to business model development. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2017: Selected papers on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Springer, p. 515-524.
- Van Der Aalst W, Adriansyah A, De Medeiros AKA, Arcieri F, Baier T, Blickle T, Bose JC, Van Den Brand P, Brandtjen R, Buijs J, Burattin A, Carmona J, Castellanos M, Claes J, Cook J, Costantini N, Curbera F, Damiani E, De Leoni M, Delias P, Van Dongen BF, Dumas M, Dustdar S, Fahland D, Ferreira DR, Gaaloul W, Van Geffen F, Goel S, Günther C, Guzzo A, Harmon P, Ter Hofstede A, Hoogland J, Ingvaldsen JE, Kato K, Kuhn R, Kumar A, La Rosa M, Maggi F, Malerba D, Mans RS, Manuel A, McCreesh M, Mello P, Mendling J, Montali M, Motahari-Nezhad HR, Zur Muehlen M, Munoz-Gama J, Pontieri L, Ribeiro J, Rozinat A, Seguel Pérez H, Seguel Pérez R, Sepúlveda M, Sinur J, Soffer P, Song M, Sperduti A, Stilo G, Stoel C, Swenson K, Talamo M, Tan W, Turner C, Vanthienen J, Varvaressos G, Verbeek E, Verdonk M, Vigo R, Wang J, Weber B, Weidlich M, Weijters T, Wen L, Westergaard M & Wynn M (2012) Process mining manifesto. In: Business Process Management Workshops, p. 169-194.
- Tiwari A, Hadden J & Turner CJ (2010) A new neural network based customer profiling methodology for churn prediction. In: Computational Science and Its Applications – ICCSA 2010 : International Conference, Fukuoka, Japan, March 23-26, 2010, Proceedings, Part IV, (LNCS 6019), Berlin: Springer Verlag (Germany), p. 358-369.
- Tiwari A, Turner C, Ball P & Vergidis K (2010) Multi-objective optimisation of web business processes. In: Simulated evolution and learning : 8th International Conference, SEAL 2010, Kanpur, India, December 1-4, 2010. Proceedings, (LNCS 6457)., Berlin: Springer-Verlag, p. 573-577.
- Tiwari A, Vergidis K & Turner CJ (2010) Evolutionary multi-objective optimisation of business processes. In: Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing: Soft Computing in Industrial Applications Algorithms, Integration and Success Stories. Gao, X.Z., Gaspar-Cunha, A., Köppen, M., Schaefer, G., Wang, J. (ed.), Heidelberg: Springer, p. 293-301.
- Turner CJ & Tiwari A (2009) An Exploration of Genetic Process Mining. In: Applications of Soft Computing: Updating the State of the Art. Avineri E, Köppen M, Dahal K, Sunitiyoso Y, Roy R (ed.), Heidelberg: Springer, p. 199-208.