Areas of expertise
- Smart Materials
Dr Chris Shaw obtained his BSc(Hons) in Chemistry from the University of Liverpool in 1985 before joining Cranfield University to study an MSc in Molecular Electronics (Thesis: ElectroRheology (1987)) and PhD in Molecular Electronics (Thesis: Polymeric Materials for Piezoelectricity and Second Harmonic Generation (1991)). He subsequently returned to Cranfield to join the Microsystems and Nanotechnology Group in 1997, and is now a Research Fellow in the Surface Engineering and Precision Institute within the Manufacturing Department. Recent project work has focused on ferroelectric, piezoelectric and pyroelectric materials and their applications. Dr. Shaw has acquired many years experience in cleanroom processing techniques within these research projects and provides support within the cleanroom facility on other projects, and on MSc teaching courses.
Dr Shaw's Current research activities and expertise include:
- Deposition and characterisation of ferroelectric thin films
- Photolithography and clean room processing techniques for microsystem device fabrication.
- Sputtering and evaporation of metal coatings.
- Deep Reactive Ion Etching (DRIE) for silicon etching
- Formulation, processing and characterisation of PZT related ceramics (including tape cast and bulk material)
- Development of pyroelectric testing methods
- Development of a pyroelectric borescope for NDT
- Processing of smart inkjet heads
- National Physical Laboratory (Teddington)
- Cambridge University
- Manchester University
- Infrared Integrated Systems Ltd (Northampton)
Articles In Journals
- Peng B, Zhang Q, Gang B, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Milne SJ, Zou B, Sun W, Huang H & Wang Z (2019) Phase-transition induced giant negative electrocaloric effect in a lead-free relaxor ferroelectric thin film, Energy and Environmental Science, 12 (5) 1708-1717.
- Peng B, Zhang M, Tang S, Jiang J, Zhao W, Zou B, Luo N, Zhang Q, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Liu L & Sun W (2019) Frequency dependent electrocaloric effect in Nb-doped PZST relaxor thin film with the coexistence of tetragonal antiferroelectric and rhombohedral ferroelectric phases, Ceramics International, 46 (4) 4300-4306.
- Chen X, Shaw C, Gelman L & Grattan KTV (2019) Advances in test and measurement of the interface adhesion and bond strengths in coating-substrate systems, emphasising blister and bulk techniques, Measurement, 139 (June) 387-402.
- Xu M, Peng B, Zhu J, Liu L, Sun W, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Luo N & Zhang Q (2019) Enhanced energy storage performance of (1-x)(BCT-BMT)-xBFO lead-free relaxor ferroelectric ceramics in a broad temperature range, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 789 (June) 303-312. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2019.02.314
- He S, Peng B, Leighton GJT, Shaw C, Wang N, Sun W, Liu L & Zhang Q (2019) High-performance La-doped BCZT thin film capacitors on LaNiO3/Pt composite bottom electrodes with ultra-high efficiency and high thermal stability, Ceramics International, 45 (9) 11749-11755.
- Archour A, Liu J, Peng P, Shaw C & Huang Z (2018) In-situ tuning of catalytic activity by thermoelectric effect for ethylene oxidation, ACS Catalysis, 8 (11) 10164-10172.
- Peng B, Zhang Q, Lyu Y, Liu L, Lou X, Shaw C, Huang H & Wang Z (2018) Thermal strain induced large electrocaloric effect of relaxor thin film on LaNiO3/Pt composite electrode with the coexistence of nanoscale antiferroelectric and ferroelectric phases in a broad temperature range, Nano Energy, 47 (May) 285-293. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2018.03.003
- Arrufat AV, Budziszewska M, Lopez C, Nguyen A, Sitek J, Jones P, Shaw C, Hayes I, Cairns G & Leighton G (2017) REACH compliant epoxides used in the synthesis of Fe (III)-based aerogel monoliths for target fabrication, High Power Laser Science and Engineering, 5 Article No. e24.
- Balakt AM, Shaw CP & Zhang Q (2017) Enhancement of pyroelectric properties of lead-free 0.94 Na 0.5 Bi 0.5 TiO 3-0.06 BaTiO 3 ceramics by La doping, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 37 (4) 1459-1466.
- Balakt AM, Shaw CP & Zhang Q (2017) The decrease of depolarization temperature and the improvement of pyroelectric properties by doping Ta in lead-free 0.94Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3-0.06BaTiO3 ceramics, Ceramics International, 43 (4) 3726-3733.
- Balakt AM, Shaw CP & Zhang Q (2017) Giant pyroelectric properties in La and Ta co-doped lead-free 0.94 Na 0.5 Bi 0.5 TiO 3-0.06 BaTiO 3 ceramics, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 709 (June) 82-91.
- Balakt A, Shaw C & Zhang Q (2017) Large pyroelectric properties at reduced depolarization temperature in A-site nonstoichiometry composition of lead-free 0.94NaxBiyTiO3–0.06BazTiO3 ceramics, Journal of Materials Science, 52 (12) 7382-7393.
- Shaw CP, Zhang Q, Correia TM & Weaver PM (2016) Characterisation of lead barium zirconate thin films for utilisation of the electrocaloric effect, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 178 (August) 74-81.
- Rocks SA, Tredez Q, Almond HJ, Shaw CP & Dorey RA (2009) Bottom up fabrication of a nickel-lead zirconate titanate piezoelectric microcantilevers, Materials Letters, 63 (1) 88-90.
- Zhang Q, Cordova S, Marshall JM, Shaw CP & Whatmore RW (2007) Stress-induced phase formation of PZT 52/48 thin films, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 88 (1) 85-92.
- Whatmore RW, Zhang Q, Shaw CP, Dorey RA & Alcock JR (2007) Pyroelectric ceramics and thin films for applications in uncooled infra-red sensor arrays, Physica Scripta, T129 6-11.
- Shaw CP, Whatmore RW & Alcock JR (2006) Porous Functionally Gradient Pyroelectric Materials, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 90 (1) 137-142.
- Whatmore RW, Landi S, Shaw CP & Kirby PB (2005) Pyroelectric arrays using ceramics and thin films integrated radiation collectors: design fabrication and testing, Ferroelectrics, 318 11-22.
- Zhang Q, Corkovic S, Shaw CP, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2005) Effect of porosity on the ferroelectric properties of sol-gel prepared lead zirconate titanate thin films, Thin Solid Films, 488 (1-2) 258-264.
- Shaw CP, Landi S, Whatmore RW & Kirby PB (2004) Development aspects of an integrated pyroelectric array incorporating a thin PZT film and radiation collectors, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 63 93-97.
- Zhang Q, Shaw CP, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2004) Sol-gel derived lead zirconate titanate thick films and their improved pyroelectric properties, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 64 207-216.
- Shaw CP, Gupta S, Stringfellow SB, Navarro A, Alcock JR & Whatmore RW (2002) Pyroelectric Properties of Mn-doped Lead Zirconate-Lead Titanate-Lead Magnesium Niobate Ceramics, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 22 (13) 2123-2132.
- Stringfellow S B, Gupta S, Shaw CP, Alcock JR & Whatmore RW (2002) Electrical conductivity control in uranium-doped PbZrO3-PbTiO3-Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3 pyroelectric ceramics, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 22 (4) 573-578.
- Dunn SC, Shaw CP, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2002) Ultra high resolution of PZT 30/70 domains as imaged by PFM, Nanotechnology, 13 (4) 456-459.
- Shaw CP, Roy S, Whatmore RW, Gleeson H, Huang Z, Zhang Q & Dunn SC (2001) Growth and characterisation of lead zirconate titanate (30/70) thin films using Ti02 seeding for ferroelectric-liquid crystal display technology, Ferroelectrics, 256 159-194.
- Roy SS, Gleeson HF, Whatmore RW, Shaw CP & Zhang Q (2001) Effects of pulsed electric fields on a nematic device with a ferroelectric ceramic substrate, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 368 9-15.
- Whatmore RW, Shaw CP, Zhang Q, Roy SS & Gleeson HF (2001) Oxide ferroelectric thin film/nematic liquid crystal devices, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 41 (1-4) 3-16.
- Zhang Q, Cordova S, Marshall JM, Shaw CP & Whatmore RW (2006) Stress induced phase formation of PZT 52/48 thin films. In: International Symposium on Integrated Ferroelectrics (ISIF 2006), Honolulu, Hawaii, 23-27 April 2006.
- Shaw CP, Landi S, Whatmore RW & Kirby PB (2005) Development aspects of an integrated pyroelectric array incorporating and thin PZT film and radiation collectors. In: European Meeting on Ferroelectrics 2003, Cambridge, UK, 16 February 2005.
- Kokkinos P, Kirby PB, Shaw CP, Wright RV & Deligianni D (2005) Production of microtextured titanium substrates by photolithographic techniques for the in-vitro study of the effect of microgeometry on the osseointegration process. In: ESF Research Conference on Biological SUrfaces and Interfaces, EuroConference on Biomaterials, Biosensors and Analytical Techniques, Sant Feliu du Guixols, Spain, 18 May 2005.
- Landi S, Shaw CP, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2005) Complex contour features in silicon by modified deep reactive ion etching process for infrared collection applications and hot embossing applications. In: First International Conference on Multi-Material Micro Manufacture, Karlsruhe, Germany, 29 June 2005.
- Landi S, Shaw CP, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2004) Implementation of deep reactive ion etching for the fabrication of contoured features in silicon. In: Micro Mechanics Europe Workshop, Leuven, Belgium, 5 September 2004.
- Landi S, Shaw CP, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2004) Complex contour features in silicon by modified deep reactive ion etching processes for large MEMS applications. In: 4th euspen International Conference, Glasgow, Scotland, 30 May 2004.
- Whatmore RW, Shaw CP, Zhang Q, Roy SS & Gleeson HF (2001) Oxide Ferroelectric Thin Film/Nematic Liquid Crystal Devices. In: 13th International Symposium on Integrated Ferroelectrics, Colorado Springs, USA, 1 January 2001.
- Molter O, Shaw CP & Whatmore RW (2001) Dopant effects in Pyroelectric ceramics in the PMN-PZT system. In: Ferroelectrics UK 2001, Sheffield, UK, 11 April 2001.