Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
BackgroundDr Miyoshi has a unique background as an academic member equipped with extensive industry experiences and academic qualifications. Chika has worked in various roles for a wide range of airlines including All Nippon Airways, Lufthansa and Skymark, as well as various corporate jet companies and a trading company which imports and operates Gulfstream aircraft. In addition, she also has extensive consulting experience in the areas of feasibility studies and business plans for start-up airlines, air transport market analysis, route selection and demand forecasting for airport privatisation.
Chikage has been working in the area of aviation and the environment in particular, the impact of economic instruments such as EU Emission Trading Scheme, Carbon /fuel Tax, social damage cost of carbon on the airport surface access through EPSRC projects. Air Transport Carbon Calculator invented (EPSRC OMEGA Project: 2006-2009) has been extensively used in the research and consulting projects (e.g. EPSRC; Airport Behavioural Change (ABC) project, Pratt and Whitney Flying Economy, economic evaluation of new GFT engine) over 12 years. She is a Co-Chair of Air Transport Group of the World Conference on Transport Research (WCTRS), and a member of COVID-19 taskforce.
Her research interests are carbon footprint, cost and benefit analysis, the impact of market based mechanism and economic instrument, and life cycle assessment.
- Aviation Economics
- Environmental Economics
- Econometric Analysis
- Travel Behaviour Modelling
- Demand forecasting
Articles In Journals
- Miyoshi C & Molina-Prados JR (2022) Measuring the impact of long-haul low-cost carriers on lowering fares: a quasi-experimental design to assess the pre-COVID market, Transport Policy, 128 (November) 52-64.
- Dresner M & Miyoshi C (2022) Evidence from the pre COVID pandemic- for a greener recovery [Editorial], Transport Policy, 124 (August) 193-193.
- Chaouk M, Pagliari R & Miyoshi C (2019) A critical review of airport privatisation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: Case study of Medina Airport, Case Studies on Transport Policy, 7 (2) 433-442.
- Logothetis M & Miyoshi C (2018) Network performance and competitive impact of the single hub – A case study on Turkish Airlines and Emirates, Journal of Air Transport Management, 69 (June) 215-223.
- Miyoshi C & Fukui H (2018) Measuring the rebound effects in air transport: The impact of jet fuel prices and air carriers’ fuel efficiency improvement of the European airlines, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 112 (June) 71-84.
- Miyoshi C, Mason K & Martini G (2018) Enhancing the network efficiency: air transport and sustainability, Journal of Air Transport Management, 69 213-214.
- Fukui H & Miyoshi C (2017) The impact of aviation fuel tax on fuel consumption and carbon emissions: The case of the US airline industry, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 50 (January) 234-253.
- Miyoshi C & Ruiz Ibanez E (2016) Are fuel-efficient aircraft worth investigating in for non-Annex country airlines? An empirical analysis of Kenya Airways with an aircraft appraisal cost-benefit analysis model, Transport Policy, 47 (April) 41-54.
- Miyoshi C & Rietveld P (2015) Measuring the equity effects of a carbon charge on car commuters: a case study of Manchester Airport, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 35 23-39.
- Miyoshi C (2014) Assessing the equity impact of the European Union Emission Trading Scheme on an African airline, Transport Policy, 33 56-64.
- Ryley T, Elmirghani J, Budd T, Miyoshi C, Mason K, Moxon R, Ahmed I, Qazi B & Zanni A (2013) Sustainable development and airport surface access: the role of technological innovation and behavioural change, Sustainability, 5 (4) 1617-1631.
- Miyoshi C & Mason K (2013) The damage cost of carbon dioxide emissions produced by passengers on airport surface access: the case of Manchester Airport, Journal of Transport Geography, 28 137-143.
- O′Connell JF, Krishnamurthy P, Warnock-Smith D, Lei Z & Miyoshi C (2013) An investigation into the core underlying problems of India’s airlines, Transport Policy, 29 160-169.
- Miyoshi C & Givoni M (2013) The environmental case for the high-speed train in the UK: examining the London-Manchester route, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 8 (2) 107-126.
- Li WK, Miyoshi C & Pagliari R. (2012) Dual-hub network connectivity: An analysis of all Nippon Airways' use of Tokyo's Haneda and Narita airports, Journal of Air Transport Management, 23 12-16.
- Miyoshi C & Mason KJ (2009) The carbon emissions of selected airlines and aircraft types in three geographic markets, Journal of Air Transport Management, 15 (3) 138-147.
- Miyoshi C, Zhu M, Burgess PJ, Girkin N & Clough P (2022) The viability of carbon capture at airports using innovative approaches; Prepared for SITA. Cranfield University.
- Miyoshi C & Torrell PP (2019) Flying economy - the economic impact of new propulsion technology: a cost-benefit analysis of the geared turbo fan engine on the London Heathrow and Frankfurt route. In: Airline Economics in Europe, Emerald, p. 201-228.
- Miyoshi C & Merkert R (2015) The economic and CO2 emissions performance in aviation: An empirical analysis of major European airlines. In: Green Logistics and Transportation: A Sustainable Supply Chain Perspective, Springer, p. 175-190.