Contact Dr Chen Lv
Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- On-Road Vehicle Dynamics
- Vehicle Engineering & Mobility
Dr. Chen Lv works as a Research Fellow for the Advanced Vehicle Engineering Center (AVEC). His research interests include electrified vehicle control, electrified powertrain control, automated driving, and driver-automation collaboration.
Dr. Lv received the B.Sc. degree in Automotive Engineering from Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan, China in 2010, and the Ph.D. degree in Automotive Engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China in Jan 2016, advised by Prof. Junzhi Zhang. From 2014 to 2015, he was a joint Ph.D. student at department of EECS, University of California, Berkeley, USA, advised by Prof. Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli.
With more than 10 years research experience in Automotive Engineering, he has expertise in Electrified Vehicle Dynamics and Control, Electrified Powertrain Control, Automated Driving Vehicles, and Driver-Automation Collaboration, and published over 30 papers and 10 approved China patents. He received the SAGE 2012 Highly Commended Paper Award of J. Auto, IMechE UK, the China National Fellowship for Doctoral Student in 2013, the NSK Sino-Japan Friendship Outstanding Mechanical Engineering Paper Prize in 2014, the Graduate Student Academic Rising Star Nomination Award of Tsinghua University in 2015, the China SAE Outstanding Paper Award in 2015, the 1st Class Award of Beijing Scientific and Technological Progress in 2015, the 1st Class Award of Scientific and Technological Progress of China Automotive Industry in 2015, the Outstanding PhD Graduate and the Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award of Tsinghua University in 2016.
Current research focus: Automated Driving, Driver-Automation Collaboration, and Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) Based Co-design Optimization Methodology. Research Fellow for EPSRC-JLR TASCC Project: Driver-Cognition-Oriented Optimal Control Authority Shifting for Adaptive Automated Driving (CogShift), 4 year, £2.47m, led by Dr. Dongpu Cao, jointly with UCL, JLR and AVL Powertrain UK. (https://www.epsrc.ac.uk/newsevents/news/jlrannouncesautonomousvehicalresearchprogramme/)
Selected additional vehicle control and intelligence research projects:
- Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) Based Driver-Vehicle Interactions, collaboration with UC Berkeley;
- Dynamical Load Simulation Mechanism and Method for Electric Powertrains, Natural Science Foundation of China, led by Tsinghua University;
- Dynamic Coupling Mechanism and Control Method of Brake Blending for Electric Vehicles, Natural Science Foundation of China, led by Tsinghua University;
- Energy-Regeneration Anti-Lock Brake System for Electric Vehicles, China National High-tech R&D Program, led by Tsinghua University.
Associate Editor: International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modelling and Testing (IJVSMT), Journal of Advances in Vehicle Engineering (JADVE). Guest Editor: International Journal of Powertrains (IJPT).
Articles In Journals
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) Characterization of driver neuromuscular dynamics for human-automation collaboration design of automated vehicles, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Early online.
- Xing Y, Lv C, Zhang Z, Wang H, Na X, Cao D, Velenis E & Wang F-Y (2018) Identification and analysis of driver postures for in-vehicle driving activities and secondary tasks recognition, IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems, 5 (1) 95-108.
- Lv C, Xing Y, Lu C, Liu Y, Guo H, Gao H & Cao D (2018) Hybrid-learning-based classification and quantitative inference of driver braking intensity of an electrified vehicle, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Early online.
- Lv C, Xing Y, Zhang J, Na X, Li Y, Liu T, Cao D & Wang FY (2018) Levenberg-Marquardt backpropagation training of multilayer neural networks for state estimation of a safety critical cyber-physical system, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Early Online.
- Lv C, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Wang H, Dutka LM, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) Analysis of autopilot disengagements occurring during autonomous vehicle testing, IEEE Caa Journal of Automatica Sinica, 5 (1) 58-68.
- Li L, Lv C, Cao D & Zhang J (2018) Retrieving common discretionary lane changing characteristics from trajectories, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 67 (3) 2014-2024.
- Liu YH, Fan XQ, Lv C, Wu J, Li L & Ding DW (2018) An innovative information fusion method with adaptive Kalman filter for integrated INS/GPS navigation of autonomous vehicles, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 100 (February) 605-616.
- Xing Y, Lv C, Cao D, Wang H & Zhao Y (2018) Driver workload estimation using a novel hybrid method of error reduction ratio causality and support vector machine, Measurement, 114 390-397.
- Ji X, He X, Lv C, Liu Y & Wu J (2017) A vehicle stability control strategy with adaptive neural network sliding mode theory based on system uncertainty approximation, Vehicle System Dynamics, Early online.
- Liu Y, Liu Q, Lv C, Zheng M & Ji X (2017) A study on objective evaluation of vehicle steering comfort based on driver's electromyogram and movement trajectory, IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 48 (1) 41-49.
- Zhao Y, Görne L, Yuen L-M, Cao D, Sullman M, Auger D, Lv C, Wang H, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2017) An orientation sensor based head tracking system for driver behaviour monitoring, Sensors, 17 (11) Article No. 2692. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.5616850
- Lv C, Wang H & Cao DP (2017) High-precision hydraulic pressure control based on linear pressure-drop modulation in valve critical equilibrium state, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64 (10) 7984-7993.
- Lv C, Liu Y, Hu X, Guo H, Cao D & Wang FY (2017) Simultaneous observation of hybrid states for cyber-physical systems: a case study of electric vehicle powertrain, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Early online.
- Lv C, Wang H, Zhao B, Cao D, Huaji W, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2017) Cyber-physical system based optimization framework for intelligent powertrain control, SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, 10 (1, SAE TP 2017-01-0426) 254-264.
- Guo H, Liu J, Cao D, Chen H, Yu R & Lv C (2017) Dual-envelop-oriented moving horizon path tracking control for fully automated vehicles, Mechatronics, Ealry online.
- Wang H, Huang Y, Lv C & Khajepour A (2017) Global optimal energy management strategy research for hybrid electric off-road vehicles, SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, 10 (2) Article No. 2017-01-0425.
- Zhang J, Li Y, Lv C, Gou J & Yuan Y (2017) Time-varying delays compensation algorithm for powertrain active damping of an electrified vehicle equipped with an axle motor during regenerative braking, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 87: B (March) 45-63.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y, Zhao B & Yuan Y (2016) Robust control of regenerative and hydraulic brakes for enhancing directional stability of an electric vehicle during straight-Line braking, SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains, 5 (2) 328-337.
- Yuan Y, Zhang J, Lv C & Li Y (2016) Design and Performance Analysis of a Novel Regenerative Braking System for Electrified Passenger Vehicles, SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, 9 (3) 699-706.
- Li Y, Zhang J, Lv C & Yuan Y (2016) Comprehensive optimization of dynamics performance and energy consumption for an electric vehicle via coordinated control of SBW and FIWMA, SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems, 9 (1) 90-98.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2016) Directional-stability-aware brake blending control synthesis for over-actuated electric vehicles during straight-line deceleration, Mechatronics, early online 1-11.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2015) Mode-switching-based active control of a powertrain system with non-linear backlash and flexibility for an electric vehicle during regenerative deceleration, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 229 (11) 1429-1442.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2015) Synthesis of a hybrid-observer-based active controller for compensating powetrain backlash nonlinearity of an electric vehicle during regenerative braking, SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains, 4 (1) 190-198.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2015) Mechanism analysis and evaluation methodology of regenerative braking contribution to energy efficiency improvement of electrified vehicles, Energy Conversion and Management, 92 (March) 469-482.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2015) Novel control algorithm of braking energy regeneration system for an electric vehicle during safety-critical driving maneuvers, Energy Conversion and Management, 106 (December) 520-529.
- Lv C, Zhang J & Li Y (2014) Extended-Kalman-filter-based regenerative and friction blended braking control for electric vehicle equipped with axle motor considering damping and elastic properties of electric powertrain, Vehicle System Dynamics, 52 (11) 1372-1388.
- Zhang J, Lv C, Yue X, Li Y & Yuan Y (2014) Study on a linear relationship between limited pressure difference and coil current of on/off valve and its influential factors, ISA Transactions, 53 (1) 150-161.
- Zhang J, Li Y, Lv C & Yuan Y (2014) New regenerative braking control strategy for rear-driven electrified minivans, Energy Conversion and Management, 82 135-145.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y, Sun D & Yuan Y (2014) Hardware-in-the-loop simulation of pressure-difference-limiting modulation of the hydraulic brake for regenerative braking control of electric vehicles, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 228 (6) 649-662.
- Zhang J, Lv C, Qiu M, Li Y & Sun D (2013) Braking energy regeneration control of a fuel cell hybrid electric bus, Energy Conversion and Management, 76 1117-1124.
- Zhang J, Kong D, Chen L & Chen X. (2012) Optimization of control strategy for regenerative braking of an electrified bus equipped with an anti-lock braking system, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 226 (4) 494-506.
- Zhang J, Lv C, Gou J & Kong D (2012) Cooperative control of regenerative braking and hydraulic braking of an electrified passenger car, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 226 (10) 1289-1302.
- Holland M, Gibb J, Bierzanowski K, Rowell S, Gao B. Lv C & Cao D (2017) Virtual Test Design and Automated Analysis of Lane Keeping Assistance Systems in Accordance with Euro NCAP Test Protocols. In: SAE World Congress Experience, WCX 2017, Detroit, 4-6 April 2017.
- Xing Y, Lv C, Huaji W, Wang H & Cao D (2017) Recognizing driver braking intention with vehicle data using unsupervised learning methods. In: WCX17: SAE World Congress Experience, Detroit, 4-6 April 2017.
- Zhang Z, Zhang J, Sun D & Lv C (2015) Research on control strategy of electric-hydraulic hybrid anti-lock braking system of an electric passenger car. In: 2015 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Seoul, 28 June - 1 July 2015.
- Zhang J, Yuan Y, Lv C & Li Y (2015) Modeling and analysis of regenerative braking system for electric vehicle based on AMESim. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), Beijing, 2-5 August 2015.
- Zhang J, Arnaud B, Lv C & Li Y (2015) New compact EHBS, increasing regenerative efficiency at low vehicle speed. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), Beijing, 2-5 August 2015.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Nuzzo P, Sangiovanni-Vincentelli A, Li Y & Yuan Y (2015) Design optimization of the control system for the powertrain of an electric vehicle: A cyber-physical system approach. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), Beijing, 2-5 August 2015.
- Li Y, Zhang J & Lv C (2014) Robust control of anti-lock brake system for an electric vehicle equipped with an axle motor. In: SAE 2014 World Congress & Exhibition, Michigan, 8-10 April 2014.
- Lv C, Zhang J, Li Y & Yuan Y (2014) Regenerative braking control algorithm for an electrified vehicle equipped with a by-wire brake system. In: SAE 2014 World Congress & Exhibition, Michigan, 8-10 April 2014.
- Yue X, Zhang J, Lv C, Gou J & Kong D (2013) Computational simulation on VSC based on PID coordinated control algorithm and differential brake. In: 2012 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), Seoul, 9-12 October 2012.
- Zhang J, Lv C, Yue X, Qiu M, Gou J & He C (2013) Development of the electrically-controlled regenerative braking system for electrified passenger vehicle. In: SAE 2013 World Congress & Exhibition, Detroit, Michigan, 16-18 April 2013.
- Li Y, Zhang J, Lv C, Kong D & He C (2013) Research of regenerative braking system for electrified buses equipped with a brake resistor. In: 2013 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), Beijing, 15-18 October 2013.
- Lv C & Zhang J (2011) Research of parameter design and matching of powertrain system in plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. In: 2011 International Conference on Electric Information and Control Engineering, Wuhan, 15-17 April 2011.