Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Electric Power Machines
- Renewable Energy
Dr Chao Long is a Lecturer in Digital Energy Systems at Cranfield University (since 2019). He is with Centre for Energy Systems and Strategy in School of Water, Energy and Environment (SWEE). His research focuses on modelling, analysis and optimisation of smart power distribution grids and community energy systems. These include management of local energy from solar photovoltaic (PV) systems, batteries and electric vehicles using novel concepts of peer to peer (P2P) energy trading using AI/machine learning and Blockchain distributed ledger technology.
Chao is working closely with industry and academic collaborators at national and international levels. Chao worked on a Horizon 2020 “Peer to Peer SmartTest” project, and EPSRC ENCORE project “Feasibility of applying Blockchain and smart contracts technology to distribution grid management in the GB power system”. He was a post-doc Research Associate at The University of Manchester (2013-2015) and Cardiff University (2015-2019). Chao did his BEng and MEng from Wuhan University, China (2004-2010), and received PhD Degree from Glasgow Caledonian University, UK (2010-2014).
Chao has published 50 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers, including one journal published in Nature Energy (impact factor 54.000). Chao’s research work has been well received by academia and industry. He has got Google Scholar Citations 2042 (by Jan 2021), with H-index of 20.
Chao is the Course Director of MSc Advanced Digital Energy Systems. Chao is the module leader of 'Data Analytics and Blockchain', 'Artificial Intelligence in Energy Systems' and 'Application of Blockchain Technology'.
Dr Chao Long is interested in supervising PhD, MSc students with a research interest in:
1) Machine Learning for smart electric vehicles charging
2) Vehicle-to-grid applications
3) Peer to peer energy trading between electric vehicles (V2V energy trading)
4) Machine learning for community energy management
5) Second life battery of electric vehicles
6) Blockchain smart contract based platform for community energy trading
June 2021 - May 2023, EPSRC "Mobility as a service: MAnaging Cybersecurity Risks across Consumers, Organisations and Sectors (MACRO)", EP/V039164/1, Co-I, £550,218
March 2021 - March 2023, Royal Society Sino-British Fellowship Trust International Exchanges Award "Smart Contract for Distributed Energy Management in Hybrid DC and AC Distribution Networks", with China Agricultural University, IES\R3\203114, PI, £12,000
Jan 2021 - Mar 2021, Innovate UK project ''Smart home EV charger based on Entrust Smart Home Management", with Entrust Smart Home Ltd, Academic PI, £48,000
Oct 2020 - Jun 2021, Innovate UK project "Second life batteries for commercial energy use (SLB4ComEU)", with Brill Power Ltd and AceOn Group Ltd, Academic PI, £100,000
Oct 2020 - Mar 2021, Innovate UK project "Advanced grid services provided by optimised EV community and fleet charging", with SNRG Ltd and Electric Corby CIC, Academic PI, £60,000.
Oct 2020 - Mar 2021, University Grand Challenge (UGC): Smart Living project "Peer-to-peer smart charging for electric autonomous vehicles", Engaging regional policies in MK and Oxbridge Arc on smart charging and green mobility, £7,000
Apr 2020 - Mar 2022, Royal Academy of Engineering, Transforming Systems through Partnership, "South Africa energy infrastructure planning for rural urbanisation based on optimal peer-to-peer energy sharing", Co-I (Cranfield PI), £27,200.
Jan 2020- June 2020, Department for Transport (DfT), Technology Research Innovation Grants (T-TRIG), "App for Peer to Peer energy trading with electric vehicles (APP EV)", PI, £30,000.
2019-2020, UKRI Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF), "Application of peer to peer energy trading in a residential community", PI, £16,075.
Dr Siqi Wang, Post-doctoral Research Fellow in AI for Energy Systems
Dr Nachat Nasser, Post-doctoral Research Fellow in community Microgrid Energy Management
Mr Rilwan Usman, PhD student (Feb 2020- ), Research topic: Electricity demand side management in developing countries
Mr Yiming Xu, PhD student (Sep 2020- ), Research topic: P2P energy trading platform for EVs
Mr Han Cui, PhD student (Sep 2020- ), Research topic: 2nd life batteries of EVs
Mr Jorge Assis, PhD student (Feb 2021- ), Research topic: ML to forecast crude oil market
Articles In Journals
- Alnaser SW, Althaher SZ, Long C, Zhou Y & Wu J (2020) Residential community with PV and batteries: reserve provision under grid constraints, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 119 (July) Article No. 105856.
- Zhou Y, Wu J, Song G & Long C (2020) Framework design and optimal bidding strategy for ancillary service provision from a peer-to-peer energy trading community, Applied Energy, 278 (November) Article No. 115671.
- Wang D, Yu J, Liu B, Long C, Chen P & Chong Z (2020) Integrated energy efficiency evaluation of a multi-source multi-load desalination micro-energy network, Global Energy Interconnection, 3 (2) 128-139.
- Zhou Y, Wu J, Long C & Ming W (2020) State-of-the-art analysis and perspectives for peer-to-peer energy trading, Engineering, Available online 10 June 2020 (7).
- Thomas L, Zhou Y, Long C, Wu J & Jenkins N (2019) A general form of smart contract for decentralized energy systems management, Nature Energy, 4 (2) 140-149.
- Han F, Chen Z, Wu L, Long C, Yu J, Lin P & Cheng S (2019) An intelligent fault diagnosis method for PV arrays based on an improved rotation forest algorithm, Energy Procedia, 158 6132-6138.
- Long C, Zhou Y & Wu J (2019) A game theoretic approach for peer to peer energy trading, Energy Procedia, 159 454-459.
- Chen Y, Chen Z, Wu L, Long C, Lin P & Cheng S (2019) Parameter extraction of PV models using an enhanced shuffled complex evolution algorithm improved by opposition-based learning, Energy Procedia, 158 991-997.
- Zhou Y, Cheng M, Wu J & Long C (2019) Decentralized control of industrial heating loads for providing multiple levels and types of primary frequency control service, Energy Procedia, 158 3138-3143.
- Jin X, Jiang T, Mu Y, Long C, Li X, Jia H & Li Z (2019) Scheduling distributed energy resources and smart buildings of a microgrid via multi-time scale and model predictive control method, IET Renewable Power Generation, 13 (6) 816-833.
- Zhang C, Wu J, Zhou Y, Cheng M & Long C (2018) Peer-to-Peer energy trading in a Microgrid, Applied Energy, 220 (June) 1-12.
- Long C, Wu J, Zhou Y & Jenkins N (2018) Peer-to-peer energy sharing through a two-stage aggregated battery control in a community Microgrid, Applied Energy, 226 (September) 261-276.
- Long C, Wu J, Zhou Y & Jenkins N (2018) Aggregated battery control for peer-to-peer energy sharing in a community Microgrid with PV battery systems, Energy Procedia, 145 522-527.
- Chen Z, Lin W, Wu L, Long C, Lin P & Cheng S (2018) A capacitor based fast I-V characteristics tester for photovoltaic arrays, Energy Procedia, 145 381-387.
- Wu L, Chen Z, Long C, Cheng S, Lin P, Chen Y & Chen H (2018) Parameter extraction of photovoltaic models from measured I-V characteristics curves using a hybrid trust-region reflective algorithm, Applied Energy, 232 36-53.
- Zhou Y, Wu J & Long C (2018) Evaluation of peer-to-peer energy sharing mechanisms based on a multiagent simulation framework, Applied Energy, 222 993-1022.
- Paudel A, Chaudhari K, Long C & Gooi H (2018) Peer-to-peer energy trading in a prosumer-based community microgrid: A game-theoretic model, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 66 (8) 6087-6097.
- Zhou Y, Wu J, Long C, Cheng M & Zhang C (2017) Performance Evaluation of Peer-to-Peer Energy Sharing Models, Energy Procedia, 143 817-822.
- Zhang C, Wu J, Long C & Cheng M (2017) Review of Existing Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading Projects, Energy Procedia, 105 2563-2568.
- Abhinav R, Pindoriya N, Wu J & Long C (2017) Short-term wind power forecasting using wavelet-based neural network, Energy Procedia, 142 455-460.
- Qi Q, Long C, Wu J, Smith K, Moon A & Yu J (2017) Using an MVDC Link to Increase DG Hosting Capacity of a Distribution Network, Energy Procedia, 142 2224-2229.
- Qi Q, Wu J & Long C (2017) Multi-objective operation optimization of an electrical distribution network with soft open point, Applied Energy, 208 734-744.
- Long C, Wu J, Thomas L & Jenkins N (2016) Optimal operation of soft open points in medium voltage electrical distribution networks with distributed generation, Applied Energy, 184 (December) 427-437.
- Long C & Ochoa LF (2016) Voltage control of PV-rich LV networks: OLTC-fitted transformer and capacitor banks, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 31 (5) 4016-4025.
- Zhang C, Wu J, Cheng M, Zhou Y & Long C (2016) A Bidding System for Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading in a Grid-connected Microgrid, Energy Procedia, 103 147-152.
- Jenkins N, Long C & Wu J (2015) An Overview of the Smart Grid in Great Britain, Engineering, 1 (4) 413-421.