Contact Dr Carol Verheecke
Areas of expertise
Dr Verheecke discovered Food safety issues in 2007, when she was a Biology
student and was working at ECCLOR Europe SAS, a company specialized in the development of a
Decision Support System (Scord-cards) for better post-harvest management of
stored cereals. In 2010, she graduated a MSc in Food Quality and Safety and in 2014 a PhD in Applied
Mycology named "Modulation of Aflatoxin B1 production by Aspergillus flavus" at The National School of Agronomy in Toulouse (France). The latter was awarded the Best Innovative PhD by the Federal University of Toulouse (2015). Subsequently, she worked as a temporary teaching
assistant in The National School of Agronomy in Toulouse until she got a Research position in the School of Water, Energy and Environment at Cranfield University. She is working on the project "Oats for the future: deciphering potential of host resistance and RNAi to minimise mycotoxin contamination under present and future climate scenarios" funded by the BBSRC.
Dr Carol has specialized her research on the application of molecular biology techniques for understanding the mechanisms leading to mycotoxins production in fungi under different environmental conditions. Since her arrival at Cranfield, she has been developing research on molecular biology and ecophysiology of mycotoxigenic fungi.
Her current key research/interest areas are:
- Molecular Biology applied to mycotoxigenic fungi, with special focus on development of new molecular biology techniques
- Ecophysiology of mycotoxigenic fungi, with a current focus on fungi in oats
- Apply project in collaboration with crops specialists to reduce mycotoxins occurrence in UK oats
Articles In Journals
- Verheecke-Vaessen C, Diez-Gutierrez L, Renaud J, Sumarah M, Medina A & Magan N (2019) Interacting climate change environmental factors effects on Fusarium langsethiae growth, expression of Tri genes and T-2/HT-2 mycotoxin production on oat-based media and in stored oats, Fungal Biology, 123 (8) 618-624. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranﬁeld.rd.8298053
- Zebiri S, Mokrane S, Verheecke-Vaessen C, Choque E, Reghioui H, Sabaou N, Mathieu F & Riba A (2018) Occurrence of ochratoxin A in Algerian wheat and its milling derivatives, Toxin Reviews, In press (3).
- Garcia-Cela E, Verheecke-Vaessen C, Magan N & Medina A (2018) The``-omics’’contributions to the understanding of mycotoxin production under diverse environmental conditions, Current Opinion in Food Science, 23 (October) 97-104.
- Lahoum A, Verheecke-Vaessen C, Bouras N, Sabaou N & Mathieu F (2017) Taxonomy of mycelial actinobacteria isolated from Saharan soils and their efficiency to reduce aflatoxin B1 content in a solid-based medium, Annals of Microbiology, 67 (3) 231-237.
- El Khour R, Atoui A, Verheecke C, Maroun R, El Khoury A & Mathieu F (2016) Essential oils modulate gene expression and ochratoxin a production in Aspergillus carbonarius, Toxins, 8 (8) Article No. 242.
- Lahoum A, Bouras N, Verheecke C, Mathieu F, Schumann P, Spröer C, Klenk H & Sabaou N (2016) Actinomadura adrarensis sp. nov., an actinobacterium isolated from saharan soil, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 66 (7) 2724-2729.
- Lahoum A, Aouiche A, Bouras N, Verheecke C, Klenk H, Sabaou N & Mathieu F (2016) Antifungal activity of a Saharan strain of Actinomadura sp. ACD1 against toxigenic fungi and other pathogenic microorganisms, Journal de Mycologie Médicale, 26 (3) 193-200.
- Verheecke C, Liboz T & Mathieu F (2016) Microbial degradation of aflatoxin B1: Current status and future advances, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 237 1-9.
- Mokrane S, Bouras N, Meklat A, Lahoum A, Zitouni A, Verheecke C, Mathieu F, Schumann P, Spröer C, Sabaou N & Klenk H (2016) Thermoactinomyces khenchelensis sp. nov., a filamentous bacterium isolated from soil sediment of a terrestrial hot spring, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, 109 (2) 311-317.
- Aït Mimoune N, Riba A, Verheecke C, Mathieu F & Sabaou N (2016) Fungal contamination and mycotoxin production by Aspergillus spp. isolated from dried fruits and sesame seeds, Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, 5 (4) 301-305.
- Yekkour A, Toumatia O, Meklat A, Verheecke C, Sabaou N, Zitouni A & Mathieu F (2015) Deoxynivalenol-producing ability of Fusarium culmorum strains and their impact on infecting barley in Algeria, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 31 (6) 875-881.
- Verheecke C, Liboz T, Anson P, Diaz R & Mathieu F (2015) Reduction of aflatoxin production by Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus in interaction with streptomyces, Microbiology, 161 967-972.
- Verheecke C, Liboz T, Anson P, Zhu Y & Mathieu F (2015) Streptomyces–Aspergillus flavus interactions: impact on aflatoxin B accumulation, Food Additives and Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure and Risk Assessment, 32 (4) 572-576.
- Verheecke C, Liboz T, Darriet M, Sabaou N & Mathieu F (2014) In vitro interaction of actinomycetes isolates with Aspergillus flavus: Impact on aflatoxins B1 and B2 production, Letters in Applied Microbiology, 58 (6) 597-603.