Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Renewable Energy
Dr Fidalgo holds a PhD in Energy awarded by the University of Oviedo (Spain) in 2010. She developed her PhD research project in the Spanish National Institute of Coal (INCAR-CSIC) on the topic of Microwave-assisted CO2 Reforming of Methane. This novel process combines the catalytic and dielectric properties of carbonaceous materials with microwave heating, and it was awarded a Spanish patent. She was Postdoctoral Research Associate at Imperial College (UK) from 2011 to 2014, where she was involved in different projects on coal and biomass selection for novel applications, kinetic analysis of biomass pyrolysis, and characterisation of conventional fuels and biofuels. Dr Fidalgo has acted as consultant to the petroleum industry in the field of thermochemical processing of oil fractions, participated in national and international conferences, and contributed to more than 10 research projects, including European projects and contracts with international companies in the energy sector. She has co-authored more than 30 papers (h-index = 15) in prestigious international journals.
Her research career is closely related to thermochemical and thermocatalytic conversion of conventional and renewable carbon-based fuels. She has experience in: (i) microwave-induced processing involving carbon materials; (ii) pyrolysis and gasification of solid fuels such as coal and biomass; (iii) catalytic upgrading of heavy oil and coal-derived hydrocarbons; (iv) characterization of solid and liquid fuels; and, (v) synthesis and characterization of carbon and metal-based catalysts.
Dr Beatriz Fidalgo is currently involved in research activities related to biomass thermochemical conversion, andintegrated biorefinery for biofuels, energy and chemicals.
Her current research activities include:
- Thermochemical and thermocatalytic conversion of carbonaceous materials, focusing on biomass
- Co-processing of conventional and renewable carbon-based fuels
- Integrated biorefinery for biofuel, energy and chemicals, including catalytic upgrading of bio-oil
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Articles In Journals
- Gadkari S, Fidalgo B & Gu S (2017) Numerical investigation of microwave-assisted pyrolysis of lignin, Fuel Processing Technology, 156 473-484.
- Shemfe M, Gu S & Fidalgo B (2017) Techno-economic analysis of biofuel production via bio-oil zeolite upgrading: An evaluation of two catalyst regeneration systems, Biomass and Bioenergy, 98 182-193.
- Liu B, Papadikis K, Gu S, Fidalgo B, Longhurst P, Li Z & Kolios A (2017) CFD modelling of particle shrinkage in a fluidized bed for biomass fast pyrolysis with quadrature method of moment, Fuel Processing Technology, 164 (September) 51-68.
- Zhang J, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, Shen D & Gu S (2017) The mechanism of transmethylation in anisole decomposition over Brønsted acid sites: density functional theory (DFT) study, Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 1 (8) 1788-1794.
- Zhang J, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, Shen D & Gu S (2017) Mechanism of deoxygenation in anisole decomposition over single-metal loaded HZSM-5: Experimental study, Chemical Engineering Journal, Early online.
- Shemfe MB, Fidalgo B & Gu S (2016) Heat integration for bio-oil hydroprocessing coupled with aqueous phase steam reforming, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 107 (March) 73-80.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Shemfe MB, Whittaker C, Gu S & Fidalgo B (2016) Comparative evaluation of GHG emissions from the use of Miscanthus for bio-hydrocarbon production via fast pyrolysis and bio-oil upgrading, Applied Energy, 176 (August) 22-33.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Zhang J, Fidalgo B, Shen D, Xiao R & Gu S (2016) Mechanism of transmethylation in anisole decomposition over HZSM-5: Experimental study, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 122 (November) 323-331.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Gadkari S, Fidalgo B & Gu S. (2016) Numerical analysis of microwave assisted thermocatalytic decomposition of methane, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, In Press (7).
- Fidalgo B, Berrueco C & Millan M (2015) Chars from agricultural wastes as greener fuels for electric arc furnaces, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 113 (May) 274-280.
- Fidalgo Fernandez B (2015) Microwave potential for bioenergy production, Renewable Energy Focus.
- Fidalgo B, Van Niekerk D & Millan M (2014) The effect of syngas on tar quality and quantity in pyrolysis of a typical South African inertinite-rich coal, Fuel, 134 90-96.
- Puron H, Arcelus-Arrillaga P, Chin KK, Pinilla JL, Fidalgo B & Millan M (2014) Kinetic analysis of vacuum residue hydrocracking in early reaction stages, Fuel, 117 (Part A) 408-414.
- Fidalgo B, Williams HM, Dawson EA & Parkes GMB (2014) Conventional and microwave-heated oxygen pulsing techniques on metal-doped activated carbons, Journal of Porous Materials, 21 (1) 81-89.
- Fidalgo B & Menéndez JA (2012) Study of energy consumption in a laboratory pilot plant for the microwave-assisted CO 2 reforming of CH 4, Fuel Processing Technology, 95 55-61.
- Fidalgo B, Muradov N & Menendez JA (2012) Effect of H2S on carbon-catalyzed methane decomposition and CO2 reforming reactions, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (19) 14187-14194.
- Bermudez J. M., Fidalgo B., Arenillas A. & Menendez J. A. (2012) CO2 reforming of coke oven gas over a Ni/gamma Al2O3 catalyst to produce syngas for methanol synthesis, Fuel, 94 (1) 197-203.
- Muradov N, Fidalgo B, Gujar AC, Garceau N & T-Raissi A (2012) Production and characterization of Lemna minor bio-char and its catalytic application for biogas reforming, Biomass and Bioenergy, 42 123-131.
- Bermudez JM, Fidalgo B, Arenillas A & Menendez JA (2012) Mixtures of steel-making slag and carbons as catalyst for microwave-assisted dry reforming of CH 4, Chinese Journal of Catalysis, 33 (7-8) 1115-1118.
- Fidalgo B & Menéndez JA (2011) Carbon materials as catalysts for decomposition and CO2 reforming of methane: A review, Chinese Journal of Catalysis, 32 (1-2) 207-216.
- Fidalgo B, Arenillas A & Menendez JA (2011) Mixtures of carbon and Ni/Al2O3 as catalysts for the microwave-assisted CO2 reforming of CH4, Fuel Processing Technology, 92 (8) 1531-1536.
- Fidalgo B, Arenillas A & Angel Menendez J (2010) Synergetic effect of a mixture of activated carbon +Ni/Al2O3 used as catalysts for the CO2 reforming of CH4, Applied Catalysis A: General, 390 (1-2) 78-83.
- Fidalgo B, Zubizarreta L, Bermudez JM, Arenillas A & Menendez JA (2010) Synthesis of carbon-supported nickel catalysts for the dry reforming of CH4, Fuel Processing Technology, 91 (7) 765-769.
- Menendez JA, Arenillas A, Fidalgo B, Fernandez Y, Zubizarreta L, Calvo EG & Bermudez JM (2010) Microwave heating processes involving carbon materials, Fuel Processing Technology, 91 (1) 1-8.
- Fidalgo B, Arenillas A & Menendez JA (2010) Influence of porosity and surface groups on the catalytic activity of carbon materials for the microwave-assisted CO2 reforming of CH4, Fuel, 89 (12) 4002-4007.
- Muradov N, Fidalgo B, Gujar AC & T-Raissi A (2010) Pyrolysis of fast-growing aquatic biomass - Lemna minor (duckweed): Characterization of pyrolysis products, Bioresource Technology, 101 (21) 8424-8428.
- Fidalgo B, Fernández Y, Domínguez A, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2008) Microwave-assisted pyrolysis of CH4/N2 mixtures over activated carbon, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 82 (1) 158-162.
- Domínguez A, Fernández Y, Fidalgo B, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2008) Bio-syngas production with low concentrations of CO2 and CH4 from microwave-induced pyrolysis of wet and dried sewage sludge, Chemosphere, 70 (3) 397-403.
- Fidalgo B, Fernández Y, Zubizarreta L, Arenillas A, Domínguez A, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2008) Growth of nanofilaments on carbon-based materials from microwave-assisted decomposition of CH4, Applied Surface Science, 254 (11) 3553-3557.
- Fidalgo B, Domínguez A, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2008) Microwave-assisted dry reforming of methane, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33 (16) 4337-4344.
- Fernández Y, Fidalgo B, Domínguez A, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2008) Obtaining synthesis gas by heat treatment in microwave biomass and biogas | Obtención de gas de síntesis por tratamiento térmico en microondas de biomasa y biogás, Afinidad, 65 (534) 103-109.
- Fernández Y, Fidalgo B, Domínguez A, Arenillas A & Menéndez JA (2007) Carbon nanofilament synthesis by the decomposition of CH4/CO2 under microwave heating, Carbon, 45 (8) 1706-1709.
- Domínguez A, Fernández Y, Fidalgo B, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2007) Biogas to syngas by microwave-assisted dry reforming in the presence of char, Energy and Fuels, 21 (4) 2066-2071.
- Domínguez A, Fidalgo B, Fernández Y, Pis JJ & Menéndez JA (2007) Microwave-assisted catalytic decomposition of methane over activated carbon for CO2-free hydrogen production, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 32 (18) 4792-4799.
- Fidalgo B & Menéndez JA (2012) Document Syngas production by CO2 reforming of CH4 under microwave heating-challenges and opportunities. In: Syngas: Production, Applications and Environmental Impact, Nova Science Publishers, Inc..