Areas of expertise
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Sensor Technologies
In 2017, Bahareh received her PhD., "Dynamic analysis of a nonlinear parametrically excited system using electromagnets", from the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, University of Southampton, UK. She finished her MSc. in Advanced Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics from University of Southampton, UK 2012.
Prior to joining Cranfield University in September 2020, Bahareh was a Research Fellow at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, Faculty of Physical Sciences and Engineering at the University of Southampton, UK, where she has worked on several research projects. These projects include: Intelligent Integrated Bearing Systems (Horizon2020, Clean Sky 2, I2BS), European Infrastructure Powering the Internet of Things (Horizon2020, EnABLES), and Wearable and Autonomous Computing for Future Smart Cities (EPSRC). Bahareh has conducted research related to the design of high temperature amplifiers, self-powered wireless sensors, and processors. Bahareh has contributed to developing novel signal processing algorithms to identify failure modes in bearings from acceleration, strain, and temperature data. These algorithms were incorporated into a smart bearing sensing system, which consists of a thermal energy harvesting system, a switched reluctance rotational energy harvester, and high temperature embedded processors, wireless data transmission, amplifiers and power management circuits. The resulting bearing system was developed in collaboration with Safran Aircraft Engines and Schaeffler Group.
Please get in touch if you are interested in all/more electric aircraft, energy harvesting, and smart sensing systems.
FutPrInt50 project, Horizon 2020 (http://futprint50.eu/ and https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/875551).
FutPrInt50 will advance the state of the art by identifying and developing technologies and configurations that will accelerate the entry-into-service of a commercial hybrid-electric aircraft in a class of up to 50 seats by 2035-40.
High temperature sensing of nozzle guided vanes using guided waves
Turbine blades and nozzle guide vanes (NGVs) are operated at extreme temperatures in order to maximise thermal efficiency and power output of an engine. As part of this project we are researching the suitability of an ultrasonic transducer for temperature monitoring. For more information please visit http://www.lrf-icon.com/projects/project-44/project-44-southampton/
PI on Cycling with an Intelligent Communication Link (CICL) (EPSRC)
We designed a novel electric motor for a smart bicycle. The switched reluctance motor requires less energy from the battery in comparison with existing electric motors.
Wearable and Autonomous Computing for Future Smart Cities (EPSRC)
As part of this project, we developed a mobile pollution sensing and wearable wireless power transmission (WPT) system that can transfer the energy generated by the rotational energy harvester to the wearable sensors that cyclists carry, such as wearable pollution monitoring sensors, or health monitoring sensors.
EnABLES (European Infrastructure Powering the Internet of Things) (H2020)
We have been working on designing a MEMS energy harvester for bearing condition monitoring in collaboration with Tyndall Institute in Ireland and NiPS laboratory in Italy.
EnABLES integrates key European research infrastructures in powering the Internet of Things (IoT). Six research institutes together with five knowledge hubs of excellence will address the long term needs of energy management in self-powered smart sensor systems as required by IoT innovation. If you require access to facilities free of charge please take a look at: https://www.enables-project.eu/
Safran Aircraft Engines
Scotia Gas Networks
Articles In Journals
- Becker T, Kiziroglou ME, Duffy M, Zaghari B & Yeatman EM (2023) Industrial adoption of energy harvesting: challenges and opportunities, IEEE Power Electronics Magazine, 10 (2) 57-64.
- Kiran A, Zaghari B & Kipouros T (2023) Application of model-based systems engineering for the integration of electric engines in electrified aircraft, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2526 Article No. 012025.
- Spinelli A, Enalou HB, Zaghari B, Kipouros T & Laskaridis P (2022) Application of probabilistic set-based design exploration on the energy management of a hybrid-electric aircraft, Aerospace, 9 (3) Article No. 147.
- Huete J, Nalianda D, Zaghari B & Pilidis P (2022) A strategy to decarbonize civil aviation: a phased innovation approach to hydrogen technologies, IEEE Electrification Magazine, 10 (2) 27-33.
- White NM & Zaghari B (2022) Energy harvesting: an overview of techniques for use within the transport industry, IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, 38 (3) 24-32.
- Komolafe A, Zaghari B, Torah R, Weddell A, Khanbareh H, Tsikriteas ZM, Vousden M, Wagih M, Jurado UT, Shi J & Yong S (2021) E-textile technology review - from materials to application, IEEE Access, 9 97152-97179.
- Yule L, Zaghari B, Harris N & Hill M (2021) Modelling and validation of a guided acoustic wave temperature monitoring system, Sensors, 21 (21) Article No. 7390. Dataset/s: 10.5258/SOTON/D1963
- Cetinkaya O, Zaghari B, Bulot FMJ, Damaj W, Jubb SA, Stein S, Weddell AS, Mayfield M & Beeby S (2021) Distributed sensing with low-cost mobile sensors toward a sustainable IoT, IEEE Internet of Things Magazine, Available online 07 September 2021. Dataset/s: /10.5281/zenodo.5218522
- Yule L, Zaghari B, Harris N & Hill M (2020) Surface temperature condition monitoring methods for aerospace turbomachinery: exploring the use of ultrasonic guided waves, Measurement Science and Technology, Available online 11 January 2021 (5).
- Pontika E, Zaghari B, Zhou T, Enalou HB & Laskaridis P (2023) Integrated mission performance analysis of novel propulsion systems: analysis of a fuel cell regional aircraft retrofit. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zaghari B, Stuikys A, Weddell AS, Grabham N, White NM, Harvey TJ & Wang L (2023) A TEG-excited switched reluctance generator for self-powered sensing in next generation aircraft. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zaghari B, Zhou T, Enalou HB, Pontika E & Laskaridis P (2023) The impact of multi-stack fuel cell configurations on electrical architecture for a zero emission regional aircraft. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Kiran A, Zaghari B, Sinnige T, Pontika E, Enalou HB, Kipouros T & Laskaridis P (2023) The impact of electric machine and propeller coupling design on electrified aircraft noise and performance. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Zhou T, Enalou HB, Pontika E, Zaghari B & Laskaridis P (2022) Minimising the effect of degradation of fuel cell stacks on an integrated propulsion architecture for an electrified aircraft. In: 2022 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference & Expo (ITEC), Anaheim, California, 15-17 June 2022.
- Yule LM, Zaghari B, Harris N & Hill M (2021) Towards in-flight temperature monitoring for nozzle guide vanes using ultrasonic guided waves. In: AIAA Propulsion and Energy 2021 Forum, Virtual Event, 9-11 August 2021.
- Spinelli A, Anderson L, Balaghi Enalou H, Zaghari B, Kipouros T & Laskaridis P (2021) Application of probabilistic principles to set-based design for the optimisation of a hybrid-electric propulsion system. In: International Conference on Innovation in Aviation & Space to the Satisfaction of the European Citizens (11th EASN 2021), Virtual event, 1-3 September 2021.
- Zaghari B, Cetinkaya O, Borjesson V, Samson D & Elefsiniotis A (2021) Key advantages. In: Energy Harvesting for a Green Internet of Things, The Multinational Power Electronics Association, p. 56-60.