Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Design, Strategy & Innovation
- Energy Asset Management
- Oil and Gas
- Renewable Energy
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
- Structures and Materials
Dr Athanasios Kolios (Dip Eng, MSc, PhD, MBA, PGCAP, CEng MIMechE, FHEA) is a Reader in Risk Management and Reliability Engineering and Head of Offshore Energy Engineering Centre at Cranfield University. During his academic career he has participated in several projects related to the development, analysis and optimisation of energy systems through a balanced portfolio of research council funded, industry sponsored and specialist consultancy projects of value exceeding £14.6m as PI/co-PI/co-I.
He has participated from the onset (2012) in the development of the largest Joint Industry Projects related to Offshore Wind, called SLIC (Structural Lifecycle Industry Collaboration), with the participation of ten wind farm developers/operators, the support of two certification authorities and the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), from the initial scoping study, to leading the pre-testing phase and managing the delivery of the main scope of the project which refers to the development of updated S-N curves specific for offshore wind support structures. In 2014, Dr Kolios was awarded an EPSRC Grant as PI to perform research on the structural integrity and reliability assessment of marine energy technologies and a grant in 2016 through the EPSRC Supergen wind hub to develop a framework for the extrapolation of integrity assessment from instrumented to non-instrumented units across a farm. In 2017, he has been awarded another grant from the EPSRC Supergen wind hub to develop an open access O&M tool for floating offshore wind farms. Dr Kolios has been the PI and technical lead for the ELECTRA project, funded by the DECC through Aerogenerator Power Limited (APL) for the development of a novel Vertical Axis Wind Turbine, with the aim of scaling up the concept to the MW scale. He is also a co-investigator on the recently awarded H2020-ROMEO project aiming to develop reliable O&M decision tools and strategies for high LCoE reduction on offshore wind as well as the EPSRC INNO-MPP (2017) project investigating challenges of floating support structures. Dr Kolios has been a co-investigator on a research project funded from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for the development of a high reliability, energy self-sustainable domestic, sanitation system. Further, he is associated with the EPSRC Renewable Energy Marine Structures (REMS) CDT (2014). He has completed several consultancy projects within the Energy industry.
Dr Kolios has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers, acts as a reviewer in key journals and has chaired sessions on the Risk and Integrity Management of Energy Assets. He is currently the editor of Elsevier’s book on decommissioning and service life extension of offshore wind farms. He is a member of the board of the European Academy of Wind Energy and a member of the ISSC Offshore Renewable Energy Committee. He leads the Risk and Reliability Engineering module and the specialist energy part of the Energy MBA course, a collaboration between Cranfield Energy & Power and School of Management. Dr Kolios is a Chartered Engineer of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He has supervised several MSc and PhD students through to completion.
- Quantitative methods in engineering, decision making and risk management
- Performance/Risk based design, analysis and operational management of offshore/marine energy assets
- Reliability analysis using non-intrusive stochastic expansions, optimisation of FEA methods
- Integrity assessment of ageing structures
- Development and optimisation of Renewable Energy Technologies and Life Cycle Assessment
- Development, application and calibration of design standards.
- AeroGenerator Power Ltd
- ALSTOM Wind
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Centrica Energy
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- European Commission
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng)
- Structural Lifecycle Industry Collaboration (SLIC) (joint industry project)
- Supergen wind
- TechniControl/ EcoPetrol
- The Carbon Trust
Articles In Journals
- Onyebuchi VE, Kolios A, Hanak DP, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2018) A systematic review of key challenges of CO2 transport via pipelines, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81 (2) 2563-2583.
- Vipin SP, Kolios A, Lie ST & Wang L (2018) New reduction factor for Cracked Square hollow section K-joints, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 144 (May) 166-175.
- Mytilinou V, Kolios A & Di Lorenzo G (2017) A comparative multi-disciplinary policy review in wind energy developments in Europe, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 36 (8) 754-774.
- Wang CY, Mercer E, Kamranvand F, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2017) Tube-side mass transfer for hollow fibre membrane contactors operated in the low Graetz range, Journal of Membrane Science, 523 235-246.
- Okoro U, Kolios A & Cui L (2017) Multi-criteria risk assessment approach for components risk ranking - The case study of an offshore wave energy converter, International Journal of Marine Energy', 17 (April) 21-39.
- Delafin PL, Nishino T, Kolios A & Wang L (2017) Comparison of low-order aerodynamic models and RANS CFD for full scale 3D vertical axis wind turbines, Renewable Energy, 109 (August) 564-575.
- Liu B, Papadikis K, Gu S, Fidalgo B, Longhurst P, Li Z & Kolios A (2017) CFD modelling of particle shrinkage in a fluidized bed for biomass fast pyrolysis with quadrature method of moment, Fuel Processing Technology, 164 (September) 51-68.
- Scheu MN, Kolios A, Fischer T & Brennan F (2017) Influence of statistical uncertainty of component reliability estimations on offshore wind farm availability, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 168 28-39.
- Somorin T, Kolios A, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2017) Faecal-wood biomass co-combustion and ash composition analysis, Fuel, 203 781-791.
- Martinez-Luengo M, Kolios A & Wang L (2017) Parametric FEA modelling of offshore wind turbine support structures: towards scaling-up and CAPEX reduction, International Journal of Marine Energy', 19 (September) 16-31.
- Gentils T, Wang L & Kolios A (2017) Integrated structural optimisation of offshore wind turbine support structures based on finite element analysis and genetic algorithm, Applied Energy, 199 187-204.
- Onabanjo T, Di Lorenzo G & Kolios A (2017) Life-cycle assessment of self-generated electricity in Nigeria and Jatropha biodiesel as an alternative power fuel, Renewable Energy, 113 (December) 966-979.
- Kolios AJ, Umofia A & Shafiee M (2017) Failure mode and effects analysis using a fuzzy-TOPSIS method: a case study of subsea control module, International Journal of Multicriteria Decision Making, 7 (1) 29-53.
- Zhang J, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, Shen D & Gu S (2017) The mechanism of transmethylation in anisole decomposition over Brønsted acid sites: density functional theory (DFT) study, Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 1 (8) 1788-1794.
- Somorin TO & Kolios AJ (2017) Prospects of deployment of Jatropha Biodiesel-fired Plants in Nigeria's power sector, Energy, Early Online.
- Mytilinou V & Kolios AJ (2017) A multi-objective optimisation approach applied to offshore wind farm location selection, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Marine Energy, 3 (3) 265-284.
- Adedipe O, Brennan F, Mehmanparast A, Kolios A & Tavares I (2017) Corrosion fatigue crack growth mechanisms in offshore monopile steel weldments, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, In Press (11).
- Zhang J, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, Shen D & Gu S (2017) Mechanism of deoxygenation in anisole decomposition over single-metal loaded HZSM-5: Experimental study, Chemical Engineering Journal, Early online.
- Pothitou M, Kolios A J, Varga L & Gu S (2016) A framework for targeting household energy savings through habitual behavioural change, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 35 (7) 686-700.
- Adedipe O, Brennan F & Kolios A. (2016) A relative crack opening time correlation for corrosion fatigue crack growth in offshore structures, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 39 (4) 395-411.
- Adedipe O, Brennan F & Kolios A (2016) Review of corrosion fatigue in offshore structures: Present status and challenges in the offshore wind sector., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 61 141-154.
- Kolios AJ, Rodriguez-Tsouroukdissian A & Salonitis K (2016) Multi-criteria decision analysis of offshore wind turbines support structures under stochastic inputs, Ships and Offshore Structures, 11 (1) 38-49.
- Wang L, Kolios A, Nishino T, Delafin PL & Bird T (2016) Structural optimisation of vertical-axis wind turbine composite blades based on finite element analysis and genetic algorithm, Composite Structures, 153 (October) 123-138.
- Kolios A & Martínez-Luengo M (2016) The end of the line for today's wind turbines, Renewable Energy Focus, 17 (3) 109-111.
- Wang L, Liu X & Kolios A (2016) State of the art in the aeroelasticity of wind turbine blades: Aeroelastic modelling, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 64 (October) 195-210.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Kolios A, Mytilinou V, Salonitis K & Lozano-Minguez E (2016) A comparative study of multiple-criteria decision-making methods under stochastic inputs, Energies, 9 (7).
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Mercer E, Cruddas P, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science. Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Wang L, Quant R & Kolios A (2016) Fluid structure interaction modelling of horizontal-axis wind turbine blades based on CFD and FEA, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 158 (November 2016) 11-25.
- Delafin PL, Nishino T, Wang L & Kolios A (2016) Effect of the number of blades and solidity on the performance of a vertical axis wind turbine, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 753 (2. article number 022033).
- Rutherford R, Moulitsas I, Snow BJ, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2015) CranSLIK v2.0: improvements on the stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 8 (6) 4949-4977.
- Martinez Luengo M & Kolios K (2015) Failure mode identification and end of life scenarios of offshore wind turbines: a review, Energies, 8 (8) 8339-8354.
- Rutherford R, Moulitsas I, Snow BJ, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2015) CranSLIK v2.0: improving the stochastic prediction of oil spill transport and fate using approximation methods, Geoscientific Model Development, 8 (10) 3365-3377.
- Chatterton J, Parsons D, Nicholls J, Longhurst P, Bernon M, Palmer A, Brennan F, Kolios A, Wilson I, Ishiyama E, Clements-Croome D, Elmualim A, Darby H, Yearley T & Davies G (2015) Carbon brainprint - An estimate of the intellectual contribution of research institutions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 96 74-81.
- Adedipe O, Brennan F & Kolios A (2015) Corrosion fatigue load frequency sensitivity analysis, Marine Structures, 42 115-136.
- Hanak DP, Kolios AJ, Biliyok C & Manovic V (2015) Probabilistic performance assessment of a coal-fired power plant, Applied Energy, 139 350-364.
- Salonitis K & Kolios A (2015) Experimental and numerical study of grind-hardening-induced residual stresses on AISI 1045 Steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 79 (9) 1443-1452.
- Kolios A, Read G & Ioannou A (2014) Application of multi-criteria decision-making to risk prioritisation in tidal energy developments, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 35 (1).
- Howe S & Kolios AJ (2014) Optimization of aviation emissions through alternative routing strategies, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 13 (2) 297-304.
- Borg M, Collu M & Kolios A (2014) Offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines, dynamics modelling state of the art. Part II: Mooring line and structural dynamics, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 39 1226-1234.
- Kolios A, Srikanth S & Salonitis K (2014) Numerical Simulation of Material Strength Deterioration due to Pitting Corrosion, Procedia CIRP, 13 230-236.
- Salonitis K & Kolios A (2014) Reliability assessment of cutting tool life based on surrogate approximation methods, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 71 (5-8) 1197-1208.
- Lozano-Minguez E, Brennan FP & Kolios ΑJ (2014) Reanalysis of offshore T-joint fatigue life predictions based on a complete weld profile model, Renewable Energy, 71 486-494.
- Salonitis K, Stavropoulos P & Kolios A (2014) External grind-hardening forces modelling and experimentation, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 70 (1-4) 523-530.
- Kolios AJ, Paganini S & Proia S (2013) Development of thermodynamic cycles for Concentrated Solar Power Plants, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 32 (5) 296-314.
- Kolios A & Pintar M (2013) Design of a novel experimental facility for testing of tidal arrays, Energies, 6 (8) 4117-4133.
- Kolios A, Chahardehi A & Brennan F (2013) Experimental determination of the overturning moment and net force generated by a novel VAWT – Experiment design under load uncertainty, Experimental Techniques, 19 (1) 34-41.
- Snow BJ, Moulitsas I, Kolios AJ & De Dominicis M (2013)
CranSLIK v1.0: Stochastic Prediction of Oil Spill Transport and Fate using Approximation Methods, Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, 6 7047-7076.
- Howe S, Kolios AJ & Brennan FP (2013) Environmental life cycle assessment of commercial passenger jet airliners, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 19 34-41.
- Kolios A, Chahardehi A & Brennan F (2013) Experimental determination of the overturning moment and net lateral force generated by a novel vertical axis wind turbine: experiment design under load uncertainty, Experimental Techniques, 37 (1) 7-14.
- Martin H, Spano G, Küster JF, Collu M & Kolios AJ (2013) Application and extension of the TOPSIS method for the assessment of floating offshore wind turbine support structures, Ships and Offshore Structures, 8 (5) 477-487.
- Salonitis K & Kolios A (2013) Reliability assessment of cutting tools life based on advanced approximation methods, Procedia CIRP, 8 397-402.
- Kolios A & Read G (2013) A Political, Economic, Social, Technology, Legal and Environmental (PESTLE) Approach for Risk Identification of the Tidal Industry in the United Kingdom, Energies, 6 (10) 5023-5045.
- Pintar M & Kolios A (2013) Design of novel experimental facility for testing of tidal arrays, Energies, 6 (8) 4117-4133.
- Kolios AJ & Proia S (2012) Evaluation of the reliability performance of failure criteria for composite structures, World Journal of Mechanics, 2 (3) 162-170.
- Lozano-Minguez E, Kolios AJ & Brennan FP (2011) Multi-criteria assessment of offshore wind turbine support structures, Renewable Energy, 36 (11) 2831-2837.
- Di Martino E, Lo Nigro A & Kolios A (2017) PIRM-DMS: A Decision Making Tool for Pipeline Integrity and Risk Management. In: Offshore Mediterranean Conference and Exhibition, Ravenna, 29-31 March 2017.
- Adedipe O, Brennan F & Kolios A (2015) Corrosion fatigue crack growth in offshore wind monopile steel HAZ material. In: Analysis and design of marine structures : 5th International Conference on Marine Structures (MARSTRUCT 2015), Southampton, 25-27 March 2015.
- Salonitis K & Kolios A (2015) Axiomatic design based assessment of offshore wind turbine support structures. In: 6th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design (M2D), Ponta Delgada, 26-30 July 2015.
- Umofia A & Kolios A (2014) Subsea production system (SPS) - a solution to marginal offshore fields development in the West African Waters. In: Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition - Africa's Energy Corridor: Opportunities for Oil and Gas Value Maximization Through Integration and Global Approach, NAICE 2014, Lagos, 5-7 August 2014.
- Kolios A & Salonitis K (2013) Surrogate modelling for reliability assessment of cutting tools. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19-20 September 2013.
- Kolios A, Howe S, Asproulis A & Salonitis K (2013)
Environmental impact assessment of the manufacturing of a commercial aircraft. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19 September 2013.
- Kolios A, Chahardehi A & Brennan F (2011) Reassessment of offshore wind turbines support structures within a reliability based framework. In: EWEA 2011 : European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition., Brussels, 14 March 2011.
- Kolios A, Collu M, Chahardehi A, Brennan FP & Patel MH (2010) A multi-criteria decision making method to compare support structures for offshore wind turbines. In: European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition 2010, (EWEC 2010), Warsaw, 20 April 2010.
- Kolios AJ, Collu M & Brennan FP (2010) Reliability of floating foundation concepts for vertical axis wind turbines. In: The 11th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures (PRADS 2010), Rio de Janeiro, 19 September 2010.
- Kolios A & Brennan F (2010) Evaluation of the reliability performance of euro code and API design standards for a new generation of offshore structures. In: Integrating Structural Analysis, Risk & Reliability, 5th International ASRANet Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 14 June 2010.
- Kolios J, Quinio A, Antoniadis A & Brennan F (2010) An approach of stochastic expansions for the reliability assessment of complex structures. In: 8th International Probabilistic Workshop 2010, Szczecin, 18 November 2010.
- Collu M, Kolios AJ, Chahardehi A & Brennan F (2010) A comparison between the preliminary design studies of a fixed and a floating support structure for a 5 MW offshore wind turbine in the north sea. In: Marine renewable and offshore wind energy: developments in wind, wave, tidal and current technology, 2010, London, 21 April 2010.
- Kolis A & Brennan F (2009) Reliability based design for novel offshore structures. In: 3rd International Conference of Integrity, Reliability and Failure, Porto, Italy, 20 July 2009.
- Kolis a, Jusoh I & Brennan F (2009) Sensitivity analysis of partial safety factors to the design of offshore steel structures. In: 7th International Probabilistic Workshop, Delft, Netherlands, 25 November 2009.
- Enjema EM, Shafiee M & Kolios A (2017) A study on the reliability of oil and gas Blowout Preventer (BOP) technologies under deep-water erratic conditions. In: Safety and Reliability – Theory and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 346-346.
- Shafiee M & Kolios A (2014) A Multi-Criteria Decision Model to Mitigate the Operational Risks of Offshore Wind Infrastructures. In: Safety and Reliability: Methodology and Applications, Leiden: CRC Press, p. 539-547.