Contact Dr Ata Khalid
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754141
- Email: Ata.Khalid@cranfield.ac.uk
- Google Scholar
Areas of expertise
- Defence Sensors
- Sensor Technologies
Ata Khalid is a Senior Lecturer in Sensors and Sensor Systems at Cranfield Defence and Security, Defence Academy of UK, Cranfield University. Working in Cranfield Defence and Security in Electronic Warfare Information & Cyber as head of Electro-Optic and Autonomy Group. I lead the module Electro-Optic & Infrared Systems in Military Electronic Systems Engineering MSc program. I have supervised several MSc projects at Defence Academy of United Kingdom based around Compound Semiconductor materials and devices for military applications. I have a longstanding record of accomplishments in III-IV compound semiconductor materials and devices. I am professionally skilled in Nanomaterials, Photo & Electron beam lithography, THz and mm-wave devices, mid-IR semiconductor device technology, Nanofabrication, and Management. I am always open to new projects and collaboration in these areas. I am always interested in volunteering and motivating the next generation of scientists and innovators.
I have published over 170 articles in the compound semiconductor, microwave/THz and photonics domains, a full list can be found here ( http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/view/author/1944.html ). I was a co-investigator (Co-I) in the EPSRC project EP/H011862/1 on planar Gunn diode technology, and a Co-I in the €4 million TeraApps Horizon 2020 project (765426, 2018-2021) Marie Curie Innovative Training Network on THz electronics and photonics. He led the development of the planar Gunn diode as a solid-state THz source as well as related enabling technologies for imaging applications.
Compound Semiconductor materials and devices expert with a demonstrated history of research and scholarship. Strong education professional skilled in Nanomaterials, Photo & Electron beam lithography, THz and mm-wave devices, mid-IR semiconductor device technology, Nanofabrication, and Management.
Infrared, mid-IR semiconductor sources and detectors
THz semiconductor source and detectors
RF and mm-wave security scanners & medical devices
Please contact me directly if you are interested in any of the research areas. Following Projects are available on self-funded basis.
1. Study of mid-IR LED array technology for advance material characterisation applications.
3. Investigation of a Terahertz source based on Vacuum Electron Devices
4. Smart Security Imaging
6. mm-wave Assisted Targeted Drug Delivery
Articles In Journals
- Al-Khalidi A, Alharbi KH, Wang J, Morariu R, Wang l, Khalid A, Figueiredo JML & Wasige E (2020) Resonant tunneling diode terahertz sources with up to 1 mW output power in the J-band, IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, 10 (2) 150-157.
- Mindil A, Dunn GM, Khalid A & Oxley CH (2020) Investigation of contact edge effects in the channel of planar Gunn diodes, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 67 (1) 53-56.
- Mindil A, Dunn GM, Khalid A & Oxley CH (2020) Investigation of high-frequency fine structure in the current output of shaped contact planar gunn diodes, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 67 (5) Article No. 9061165 1946-1951.
- Mindil A, Dunn G, Khalid A & Oxley C (2020) Investigation of THz frequency shaped anode planar Gunn diodes operating in delayed mode, IEEE Journal of the Electron Devices Society, 8 1072-1075.
- Xie C, Aziz M, Pusino V, Khalid A, Steer M, Thayne IG, Sorel M & Cumming DRS (2017) Single-chip, mid-infrared array for room temperature video rate imaging, Optica, 4 (12) 1498-1502. Dataset/s: 10.5525/gla.researchdata.554
- Aziz M, Xie C, Pusino V, Khalid A, Steer M, Thayne IG & Cumming DR (2017) Multispectral mid-infrared light emitting diodes on a GaAs substrate, Applied Physics Letters, 111 (10) Article No. 102102.
- Glover J, Khalid A, Cumming D, Dunn GM, Kuball M, Bajo MM & Oxley CH (2017) Thermal profiles within the channel of planar gunn diodes using micro-particle sensors, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 38 (9) 1325-1327.
- Pusino V, Xie C, Khalid A, Steer MJ, Sorel M, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2016) InSb photodiodes for monolithic active focal plane arrays on GaAs substrates, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 63 (8) 3135-3142.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Cumming DRS & Oxley CH (2016) Extraction of second harmonic from an InP based planar Gunn diode using diamond resonator for milli-metric wave frequencies, Solid-State Electronics, 116 (February) 104-106.
- Pusino V, Xie C, Khalid A, Thayne IG & Cumming DR (2016) Development of InSb dry etch for mid-IR applications, Microelectronic Engineering, 153 11-14.
- Xie C, Pusino V, Khalid A, Steer MJ, Sorel M, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2015) Monolithic integration of an active InSb-based mid-infrared photo-pixel with a GaAs MESFET, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 62 (12) 4069-4075.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Cumming DSR & Oxley CH (2015) Improving the quality factor of the coplanar waveguide resonator, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 57 (6) 1323-1325.
- Glover J, Khalid A, Stephen A, Dunn G, Cumming D & Oxley CH (2015) Micro-coolers fabricated as a component in an integrated circuit, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 30 (1).
- Khalid A, Dunn GM, Macpherson RF, Thoms S, Macintyre D, Li C, Steer MJ, Papageorgiou V, Thayne IG, Kuball M, Oxley CH, Bajo MM, Stephen A, Glover J & Cumming DRS (2014) Terahertz oscillations in an In0.53Ga0.47As submicron planar Gunn diode, Journal of Applied Physics, 115 (11) Article No. 114502.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Dunn G, Cumming D & Oxley CH (2014) Experimentally estimated dead space for GaAs and InP based planar Gunn diodes, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 30 (1).
- Maricar MI, Glover J, Khalid A, Li C, Evans G, Cumming DSR & Oxley CH (2014) An AlGaAs/GaAs-based planar Gunn diode oscillator with a fundamental frequency operation of 120 GHz, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 56 (10) 2449-2451.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Glover J, Evans GA, Vasileious P, Li C, Cumming D & Oxley CH (2014) Extraction of second harmonic from the In0.57Ga0.47As planar Gunn diode using radial stub resonators, Solid-State Electronics, 99 (September) 38-40.
- Maricar MI, Glover J, Evans G, Khalid A, Cumming D & Oxley C (2014) Design and characterization of a novel diamond resonator, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 56 (7) 1691-1693.
- Papageorgiou V, Khalid A, Li C & Cumming DRS (2014) Cofabrication of planar Gunn diode and HEMT on InP substrate, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 61 (8) 2279-2784.
- Li C, Khalid A, Caldwell SH, Holland MC, Dunn GM, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2011) Design, fabrication and characterization of In0.23Ga0.77As-channel planar Gunn diodes for millimeter wave applications, Solid-State Electronics, 64 (1) 67-72.
- Ma Y, Chen Q, Grant J, Saha SC, Khalid A & Cumming DRS (2011) A terahertz polarization insensitive dual band metamaterial absorber, Optics Letters, 36 (6) 945-947.
- Ma Y, Chen Q, Khalid A, Saha SC & Cumming DRS (2010) Terahertz dual-band resonator on silicon, Optics Letters, 35 (4) 469-471.
- Pilgrim NJ, Macpherson RF, Khalid A, Dunn GM & Cumming DRS (2009) Multiple and broad frequency response Gunn diodes, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 24 (10).
- Pilgrim NJ, Khalid A, Dunn GM & Cumming DRS (2008) Gunn oscillations in planar heterostructure diodes, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 23 (7) Article No. 075013.
- Khalid A, Pilgrim NJ, Dunn GM, Holland MC, Stanley CR, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2007) A planar Gunn diode operating above 100 GHz, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 28 (10) 849-851.
- Sotoodeh M, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (2000) Empirical low-field mobility model for III-V compounds applicable in device simulation codes, Journal of Applied Physics, 87 (6).
- Budimir D, Robertson ID, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1998) CPW low-pass filters on silicon substrate for multilayer MMICs, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 17 (2) 125-128.
- Sotoodeh M, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1998) DC characterisation of HBTs using the observed kink effect on the base current, Solid-State Electronics, 42 (4) 531-539.
- Wasige E, Alharbi KH, Al-Khalidi A, Wang J, Khalid A, Rodrigues GC & Figueiredo J (2017) Resonant tunnelling diode terahertz sources for broadband wireless communications. In: Terahertz, RF, Millimeter, and Submillimeter-Wave Technology and Applications X, San Francisco, 28 January - 2 February 2017.
- Alharbi KH, Khalid A, Ofiare A, Wang J & Wasige E (2017) Broadband Bow-Tie Slot Antenna with Tuning Stub for Resonant Tunnelling Diode Oscillators with Novel Configuration for Substrate Effects Suppression. In: 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 2016, London, 4-6 October 2016.
- Xie C, Pusino V, Khalid A, Aziz M, Steer MJ & Cumming DR (2016) A new monolithic approach for mid-IR focal plane arrays. In: Electro-Optical and Infrared Systems: Technology and Applications XIII, Edinburgh, 26-29 September 2016.
- Alharbi KH, Khalid A, Ofiare A & Wasige E (2016) Diced and grounded broadband bow-tie antenna with tuning stub for resonant tunnelling diode terahertz oscillators. In: 2016 IET Colloquium on Millimetre-Wave and Terahertz Engineering & Technology, London, 31 March 2016.
- Chengzhi X, Pusino V, Khalid A, Aziz M, Steer M & Cumming D (2016) A novel InSb-based photo-pixel with a monolithically integrated GaAs MESFET for video rate sampling. In: 2016 IEEE Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO: Science and Innovations, San Jose, CA, 5-10 June 2016.
- Wang J, Wang L, Li C, Alharbi K, Khalid A & Wasige E (2014) W-band InP-based resonant tunnelling diode oscillator with milliwatt output power. In: 26th International Conference on Indium Phosphide and Related Materials (IPRM) 2014, Montpellier, France, 11-15 May 2014.
- Webster D, Rezazadeh A, Sotoodeh M, Khalid A, Hu Z, Hutabarat M, Ataei G & Haigh D (2002) Observations on the nonlinear behaviour of single and double InGaP/GaAs HBTs. In: 1999 Symposium on High Performance Electron Devices for Microwave and Optoelectronic Applications, London, 23 November 1999.
- Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1996) Realisation of optically transparent gate field effect transistors (TEGFETs). In: 1996 IEE Colloquium on Optical Control of Microwave Circuits, London, 1 February 1996.
- Budimir D, Robertson ID, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1996) Low loss multilayer coplanar waveguide transmission lines on silicon substrate for MMICs. In: 1996 IEEE 26th European Microwave Conference, Prague, 6-13 September 1996.