Contact Dr Ata Khalid
Areas of expertise
- Defence Sensors
- Sensor Technologies
Ata Khalid was appointed as Lecturer in Sensors and Sensor Systems at Cranfield Defence and Security, Defence Academy of UK, Cranfield University, Shrivenham in 2017. Ata has strong links with Glasgow and he is a visiting researcher at Glasgow University. Ata is an expert in compound semiconductor devices and Nano fabrication technologies. His interest are mid-IR sources and detectors based on InSb semiconductor material. He has also demonstrated a long track record in solid-state THz device science and engineering. He has published more than 170 articles in the compound semiconductor, microwave/THz and photonics domains, a full list can be found here ( http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/view/author/1944.html ). He was a co-investigator (Co-I) in the EPSRC project EP/H011862/1 on planar Gunn diode technology, and is currently a Co-I in the €4 million TeraApps Horizon 2020 project (765426, 2018-2021) Marie Curie Innovative Training Network on THz electronics and photonics. He led the development of the planar Gunn diode as a solid-state THz source as well as related enabling technologies for imaging applications. He has also published on the design, integration and fabrication of mid-infrared (IR) photo-pixel for two-dimensional imaging arrays and on terahertz resonant tunnelling diode (RTD) sources. Ata’s research highlights include the breakthrough demonstration of the first planar InGaAs Gunn diode operation above 100 GHz and then above 300 GHz. A technique he developed for THz signal detection was taken up by the multinational company Keysight Technologies, and is now embedded in their commercial products.
Compound Semiconductor materials and devices expert with a demonstrated history of research and scholarship. Strong education professional skilled in Nanomaterials, Photo & Electron beam lithography, THz and mm-wave devices, mid-IR semiconductor device technology, Nanofabrication, and Management.
Infrared, mid-IR semiconductor sources and detectors
THz semiconductor source and detectors
RF and mm-wave security scanners & medical devices
Please contact me directly if you are interested in any of the research areas. Following Projects are available on self-funded basis.
1. Design of a novel Smith-Persil mm-wave solid state source in Compound Semiconductor materials
2. Study of mid-IR LED array technology for advance material characterisation applications.
3. Investigation of a Terahertz source based on Vacuum Electron Devices
4. mm-wave sources for helicopter landing in brownout conditions
5. Smart Security Imaging
6. mm-wave Assisted Targeted Drug Delivery
Articles In Journals
- Al-Khalidi A, Alharbi KH, Wang J, Morariu R, Wang l, Khalid A, Figueiredo JML & Wasige E (2020) Resonant tunneling diode terahertz sources with up to 1 mW output power in the J-band, IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, 10 (2) 150-157.
- Mindil A, Dunn GM, Khalid A & Oxley CH (2020) Investigation of contact edge effects in the channel of planar Gunn diodes, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 67 (1) 53-56.
- Mindil A, Dunn GM, Khalid A & Oxley CH (2020) Investigation of high-frequency fine structure in the current output of shaped contact planar gunn diodes, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 67 (5) Article No. 9061165 1946-1951.
- Mindil A, Dunn G, Khalid A & Oxley C (2020) Investigation of THz frequency shaped anode planar Gunn diodes operating in delayed mode, IEEE Journal of the Electron Devices Society, 8 1072-1075.
- Xie C, Aziz M, Pusino V, Khalid A, Steer M, Thayne IG, Sorel M & Cumming DRS (2017) Single-chip, mid-infrared array for room temperature video rate imaging, Optica, 4 (12) 1498-1502. Dataset/s: 10.5525/gla.researchdata.554
- Aziz M, Xie C, Pusino V, Khalid A, Steer M, Thayne IG & Cumming DR (2017) Multispectral mid-infrared light emitting diodes on a GaAs substrate, Applied Physics Letters, 111 (10) Article No. 102102.
- Glover J, Khalid A, Cumming D, Dunn GM, Kuball M, Bajo MM & Oxley CH (2017) Thermal profiles within the channel of planar gunn diodes using micro-particle sensors, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 38 (9) 1325-1327.
- Pusino V, Xie C, Khalid A, Steer MJ, Sorel M, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2016) InSb photodiodes for monolithic active focal plane arrays on GaAs substrates, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 63 (8) 3135-3142.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Cumming DRS & Oxley CH (2016) Extraction of second harmonic from an InP based planar Gunn diode using diamond resonator for milli-metric wave frequencies, Solid-State Electronics, 116 (February) 104-106.
- Pusino V, Xie C, Khalid A, Thayne IG & Cumming DR (2016) Development of InSb dry etch for mid-IR applications, Microelectronic Engineering, 153 11-14.
- Xie C, Pusino V, Khalid A, Steer MJ, Sorel M, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2015) Monolithic integration of an active InSb-based mid-infrared photo-pixel with a GaAs MESFET, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 62 (12) 4069-4075.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Cumming DSR & Oxley CH (2015) Improving the quality factor of the coplanar waveguide resonator, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 57 (6) 1323-1325.
- Glover J, Khalid A, Stephen A, Dunn G, Cumming D & Oxley CH (2015) Micro-coolers fabricated as a component in an integrated circuit, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 30 (1).
- Khalid A, Dunn GM, Macpherson RF, Thoms S, Macintyre D, Li C, Steer MJ, Papageorgiou V, Thayne IG, Kuball M, Oxley CH, Bajo MM, Stephen A, Glover J & Cumming DRS (2014) Terahertz oscillations in an In0.53Ga0.47As submicron planar Gunn diode, Journal of Applied Physics, 115 (11) Article No. 114502.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Dunn G, Cumming D & Oxley CH (2014) Experimentally estimated dead space for GaAs and InP based planar Gunn diodes, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 30 (1).
- Maricar MI, Glover J, Khalid A, Li C, Evans G, Cumming DSR & Oxley CH (2014) An AlGaAs/GaAs-based planar Gunn diode oscillator with a fundamental frequency operation of 120 GHz, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 56 (10) 2449-2451.
- Maricar MI, Khalid A, Glover J, Evans GA, Vasileious P, Li C, Cumming D & Oxley CH (2014) Extraction of second harmonic from the In0.57Ga0.47As planar Gunn diode using radial stub resonators, Solid-State Electronics, 99 (September) 38-40.
- Maricar MI, Glover J, Evans G, Khalid A, Cumming D & Oxley C (2014) Design and characterization of a novel diamond resonator, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 56 (7) 1691-1693.
- Papageorgiou V, Khalid A, Li C & Cumming DRS (2014) Cofabrication of planar Gunn diode and HEMT on InP substrate, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 61 (8) 2279-2784.
- Li C, Khalid A, Caldwell SH, Holland MC, Dunn GM, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2011) Design, fabrication and characterization of In0.23Ga0.77As-channel planar Gunn diodes for millimeter wave applications, Solid-State Electronics, 64 (1) 67-72.
- Ma Y, Chen Q, Grant J, Saha SC, Khalid A & Cumming DRS (2011) A terahertz polarization insensitive dual band metamaterial absorber, Optics Letters, 36 (6) 945-947.
- Ma Y, Chen Q, Khalid A, Saha SC & Cumming DRS (2010) Terahertz dual-band resonator on silicon, Optics Letters, 35 (4) 469-471.
- Pilgrim NJ, Macpherson RF, Khalid A, Dunn GM & Cumming DRS (2009) Multiple and broad frequency response Gunn diodes, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 24 (10).
- Pilgrim NJ, Khalid A, Dunn GM & Cumming DRS (2008) Gunn oscillations in planar heterostructure diodes, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 23 (7) Article No. 075013.
- Khalid A, Pilgrim NJ, Dunn GM, Holland MC, Stanley CR, Thayne IG & Cumming DRS (2007) A planar Gunn diode operating above 100 GHz, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 28 (10) 849-851.
- Sotoodeh M, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (2000) Empirical low-field mobility model for III-V compounds applicable in device simulation codes, Journal of Applied Physics, 87 (6).
- Budimir D, Robertson ID, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1998) CPW low-pass filters on silicon substrate for multilayer MMICs, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 17 (2) 125-128.
- Sotoodeh M, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1998) DC characterisation of HBTs using the observed kink effect on the base current, Solid-State Electronics, 42 (4) 531-539.
- Alharbi KH, Khalid A, Ofiare A, Wang J & Wasige E (2017) Broadband Bow-Tie Slot Antenna with Tuning Stub for Resonant Tunnelling Diode Oscillators with Novel Configuration for Substrate Effects Suppression. In: 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 2016, London, 4-6 October 2016.
- Wasige E, Alharbi KH, Al-Khalidi A, Wang J & Khalid A (2017) Resonant Tunnelling Diode Terahertz Sources for Broadband Wireless Communications. In: Terahertz, RF, Millimeter, and Submillimeter-Wave Technology and Applications X, San Francisco, 28 January - 2 February 2017.
- Xie C, Pusino V, Khalid A, Aziz M, Steer MJ & Cumming DR (2016) A new monolithic approach for mid-IR focal plane arrays. In: Electro-Optical and Infrared Systems: Technology and Applications XIII, Edinburgh, 26-29 September 2016.
- Alharbi KH, Khalid A, Ofiare A & Wasige E (2016) Diced and grounded broadband bow-tie antenna with tuning stub for resonant tunnelling diode terahertz oscillators. In: 2016 IET Colloquium on Millimetre-Wave and Terahertz Engineering & Technology, London, 31 March 2016.
- Chengzhi X, Pusino V, Khalid A, Aziz M, Steer M & Cumming D (2016) A novel InSb-based photo-pixel with a monolithically integrated GaAs MESFET for video rate sampling. In: 2016 IEEE Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO: Science and Innovations, San Jose, CA, 5-10 June 2016.
- Wang J, Wang L, Li C, Alharbi K, Khalid A & Wasige E (2014) W-band InP-based resonant tunnelling diode oscillator with milliwatt output power. In: 26th International Conference on Indium Phosphide and Related Materials (IPRM) 2014, Montpellier, France, 11-15 May 2014.
- Webster D, Rezazadeh A, Sotoodeh M, Khalid A, Hu Z, Hutabarat M, Ataei G & Haigh D (2002) Observations on the nonlinear behaviour of single and double InGaP/GaAs HBTs. In: 1999 Symposium on High Performance Electron Devices for Microwave and Optoelectronic Applications, London, 23 November 1999.
- Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1996) Realisation of optically transparent gate field effect transistors (TEGFETs). In: 1996 IEE Colloquium on Optical Control of Microwave Circuits, London, 1 February 1996.
- Budimir D, Robertson ID, Khalid AH & Rezazadeh AA (1996) Low loss multilayer coplanar waveguide transmission lines on silicon substrate for MMICs. In: 1996 IEEE 26th European Microwave Conference, Prague, 6-13 September 1996.