Ashfaq Afsar completed his undergraduate and PhD degrees at the University of Reading, the latter under guidance of Professor Laurence M. Harwood.
He was then appointed as a Postdoctoral Research Assistant in 2015 at the University of Reading with Professor Harwood working on the design and synthesis of a series of N-heterocyclic ligands for selective actinide extraction.
In 2017, he joined Professor Wayne Hayes' group at the University of Reading for a three-year Post-doctoral position in organic materials/polymer chemistry. During his time in Professor Hayes' group he worked on a range of projects, including design and synthesis of novel macrocyclic additives for British Petroleum (BP), synthesis of UV curable polymer systems, exploited thermally-reversible covalent bonds for the controlled release of microencapsulated isocyanate crosslinkers, and development of a modular synthetic approach for the introduction of a diazirine functionality into various types of biologically interesting carbohydrate derivatives.
In November 2020, he moved to his current position as a Research Fellow in synthetic chemistry at Cranfield University (Shrivenham) where he is working on the synthesis of β-cyclodextrin/polyethylene glycol derivatives to develop inert and energetic polymeric binders.
Articles In Journals
- Haimhoffer A, Dossi E, Béresová M, Bácskay I, Váradi J, Afsar A, Rusznyák A, Vasvári G & Fenyvesi F (2021) Preformulation studies and bioavailability enhancement of curcumin with a ‘two in one’ PEG-β-cyclodextrin polymer, Pharmaceutics, 13 (10) Article No. 1710.
- Dossi E, Bolton M, Kister G & Afsar A (2021) Cross-linking of γ-cyclodextrin using non-toxic polyethylene glycol spacer units, ChemistrySelect, 6 (30) 7727-7731.
- Godleman J, Babra T, Afsar A, Kyriacou A, Thompson M, Harries J, Colquhoun H & Hayes W (2021) Functionalised PEGs with photo-dimerisable, anthracenyl end-groups: new UV-curable materials for use in inkjet formulations, Progress in Organic Coatings, 151 (February) Article No. 106105.
- Distler P, Mindová M, John J, Babain VA, Alyapyshev MU, Tkachenko LI, Kenf EV, Harwood L & Afsar A (2020) Fluorinated carbonates as new diluents for extraction and separation of f-block elements, Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, 38 (2) 180-193.
- Higgins C, Filip S, Afsar A & Hayes W (2020) Synthesis, characterisation, and performance evaluation of tri-armed phenolic antioxidants, Tetrahedron Letters, 61 (28) Article No. 152127.
- Afsar A, Babra J, Distler P, Harwood L, Hopkins I, John J, Westwood J & Selfe Z (2019) Extraction properties of 4-tetra(hydroxyphenyl)BTphen in liquid-liquid extraction systems with cyclohexanone/octanol or in a solid-phase extraction system, Heterocycles, 101 (1) 209-222.